Yousuf_uk | 1 Jun 02:42 2006
Picon

Re: Live streaming video server

hi there
im planing to start learn linux my self, could any 1 give me some 
information plz can i download linux from any site? thx all i need all of ur 
help plz

thx yousuf

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "salsaman" <salsaman <at> xs4all.nl>
To: "Greater London Linux User Group" <gllug <at> gllug.org.uk>
Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 11:22 PM
Subject: Re: [Gllug] Live streaming video server

> Jim Bailey wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>does anyone have any recommedations for a live streaming video server on
>>linux preferably Debian but not absolutely.
>>
>>
> <snip>
>
>>Advice please? :)
>>
>>
> You might want to check out this new site:
>
> http://www.streamingsuitcase.com/
>
(Continue reading)

Yousuf_uk | 1 Jun 02:49 2006
Picon

Re: Live streaming video server

hi there
im planing to start learn linux my self, could any 1 give me some
information plz can i download linux from any site or give me some link so i 
can download . thx all i need all of ur
help plz

thx yousuf

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "salsaman" <salsaman <at> xs4all.nl>
To: "Greater London Linux User Group" <gllug <at> gllug.org.uk>
Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 11:22 PM
Subject: Re: [Gllug] Live streaming video server

> Jim Bailey wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>does anyone have any recommedations for a live streaming video server on
>>linux preferably Debian but not absolutely.
>>
>>
> <snip>
>
>>Advice please? :)
>>
>>
> You might want to check out this new site:
>
> http://www.streamingsuitcase.com/
(Continue reading)

Ryland, Peter | 1 Jun 09:01 2006
Picon

Re: learning linux (was: Live streaming video server)

On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 01:49 +0100, Yousuf_uk wrote:
> hi there
> im planing to start learn linux my self, could any 1 give me some
> information plz can i download linux from any site or give me some link so i 
> can download . thx all i need all of ur
> help plz

Hi Yousuf,

There is plenty of documentation on the internet for getting started.
Try this site for example:

http://www.linux.org/lessons/beginner/index.html

I would recommend downloading or buying one of the following
distributions as a start:

Ubuntu 6.06 LTS  (http://www.ubuntu.com/)
SuSE Desktop 10  (http://www.novell.com/linux/)
Fedora Core 5    (http://www.redhat.com/fedora/)

If you have any specific troubles, I'm sure the list will be most
willing to help.

Please also take the time to read the Frequently-Asked Questions page
for this list, which you can find at:

http://www.hinterlands.org/gllugfaq/

May I also please ask you to follow list netiquette.  We don't have an
(Continue reading)

Chris Bell | 1 Jun 09:22 2006
Picon
Picon

Re: Live streaming video server

On Thu 01 Jun, Yousuf_uk wrote:
> 
> hi there
> im planing to start learn linux my self, could any 1 give me some 
> information plz can i download linux from any site? thx all i need all of ur 
> help plz
> 
> thx yousuf
> 

   Do you mean that you want to start learning about Linux, the "Unix
compatible" Open Source Operating System, or just the bits relating to
video? I can email a list of references and hints that may be useful for
a totally new user.

-- 
Chris Bell

--

-- 
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug <at> gllug.org.uk
http://lists.gllug.org.uk/mailman/listinfo/gllug

Martin A. Brooks | 1 Jun 09:38 2006

Netiquette (was: learning linux)

Ryland, Peter wrote:
> May I also please ask you to follow list netiquette.  We don't have an
> official netiquette guide for this list, but the points made in the
> following guides apply equally to this list:

Not official, but some suggestions are listed here: 
http://www.hinterlands.org/gllugfaq/#chapter3

--

-- 
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug <at> gllug.org.uk
http://lists.gllug.org.uk/mailman/listinfo/gllug

Chris Bell | 1 Jun 10:08 2006
Picon
Picon

Re: learning linux (was: Live streaming video server)

On Thu 01 Jun, Ryland, Peter wrote:
> 

> 
> I would recommend downloading or buying one of the following
> distributions as a start:
> 
> Ubuntu 6.06 LTS  (http://www.ubuntu.com/)
> SuSE Desktop 10  (http://www.novell.com/linux/)
> Fedora Core 5    (http://www.redhat.com/fedora/)
> 
   Unfortunately any mention of specific Linux distributions is likely to
start yet another stream of replies about other favourite distributions
(I have tried others in the past, but now recommend and use Debian)

-- 
Chris Bell

--

-- 
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug <at> gllug.org.uk
http://lists.gllug.org.uk/mailman/listinfo/gllug

Yousuf_uk | 1 Jun 12:19 2006
Picon

Re: Live streaming video server

Hi
  Many thanks for all of my london linux user group , i m really pleased 
specially THANKS FOR CHIRS BELL for support me as a new user. i hope all of 
you can help me to learn linux step by step thx again

yousuf
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Chris Bell" <chrisbell <at> overview.demon.co.uk>
To: "Greater London Linux User Group" <gllug <at> gllug.org.uk>
Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2006 8:22 AM
Subject: Re: [Gllug] Live streaming video server

> On Thu 01 Jun, Yousuf_uk wrote:
>>
>> hi there
>> im planing to start learn linux my self, could any 1 give me some
>> information plz can i download linux from any site? thx all i need all of 
>> ur
>> help plz
>>
>> thx yousuf
>>
>
>   Do you mean that you want to start learning about Linux, the "Unix
> compatible" Open Source Operating System, or just the bits relating to
> video? I can email a list of references and hints that may be useful for
> a totally new user.
>
>
> -- 
(Continue reading)

Donald W Williams | 1 Jun 12:59 2006
Picon
Picon

me_too


Oh well, I thought (obviously wrongly) that it was considered
impolite to thank individuals, but anything Yusuf can do I can do -
so sincere thanks to the whole GLLUG group but in particular warmly
to Henry Gilbert and spectacularly to Simon Morris who saw me out
onto the troubling waters of Suse 10.1 Keep it up guys!
Cheers, Don Williams
David Damerell | 1 Jun 17:51 2006
Picon

Default messages perm

On Wednesday, 31 May 2006, Yashpal Nagar wrote:
>A very quick one, we do have a program which analyses the messages 
>(messages, secure etc in /var/log)  from a linux box, how do i change 
>the default permissions for let say messages to 644?

That seems like a bad idea. Why would you not use group permissions?

-- 
OPTIONS=name:Kirsty,menustyle:C,female,lit_corridor,standout,time,showexp,hilit
e_pet,catname:Akane,dogname:Ryoga,fruit:okonomiyaki,pickup_types:"!$?=/,scores:
5 top/2 around,color,boulder:0,autoquiver,autodig,disclose:yiyayvygyc,pickup_bu
rden:burdened,!cmdassist,msg_window:reversed,!sparkle,horsename:Rumiko,showrace
--

-- 
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug <at> gllug.org.uk
http://lists.gllug.org.uk/mailman/listinfo/gllug

andrew Black | 1 Jun 12:09 2006
Picon

Receiving Faxs

Hi
It is a long time since I have looked at this - do anyone have any 
solutions they would recommend.

I want to be able to receive the odd fax (1 or 2 a month) in a PDF or 
bitmap format.  I would prefer to receive them in email, or get an email 
to say there is something waiting on a server.

Why? I have a friend who needs to send me graphic data + text.  He has 
trouble sending attachments and uploading to websites - mutterings about 
old PC virus checkers and old version of AOL software.  I am not getting 
involved. He does have a fax machine.

So if I receive faxes on an occasional basis that would be great.
Any other solutions to the underlying problem would be great.

Andrew

--

-- 
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug <at> gllug.org.uk
http://lists.gllug.org.uk/mailman/listinfo/gllug


Gmane