mrphewitt | 5 Aug 13:07 2004

Is <string/> valid

Dear All,

I have a user of my library (vbXMLRPC) who is arguing "<string/>" 
represents "<string></string>". My position is "<string/>" is not 
valid XML-RPC because it is an empty tag, whereas <string></string> 
is valid XML-RPC because it is a zero length string.

Am I right ?

Your opinions please.

Phil Hewitt

 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/xml-rpc/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    xml-rpc-unsubscribe <at> yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

John Wilson | 5 Aug 13:56 2004
Picon

Re: Is <string/> valid


On 5 Aug 2004, at 12:07, mrphewitt wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I have a user of my library (vbXMLRPC) who is arguing "<string/>"
> represents "<string></string>". My position is "<string/>" is not
> valid XML-RPC because it is an empty tag, whereas <string></string>
> is valid XML-RPC because it is a zero length string.
>
> Am I right ?
>
> Your opinions please.
>

Phil,
	I'm afraid you're wrong :)

XML-RPC uses XML. In XML <tag></tag> and <tag/> are identical.

John Wilson
The Wilson Partnership
http://www.wilson.co.uk

 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/xml-rpc/

(Continue reading)

Sudhakar Anivella | 11 Aug 13:37 2004
Picon

Re: struct implementation from java

You may have to give encrypted password may be Base64.
ItÂ’s a guess.

happy coding
Sudhakar Anivella

 --- Chinmayi Narasimhadevara <chinmayi_24 <at> yahoo.com>
wrote: 
> Hi
> Does anybody have any suggestions for this
> 
> 
> org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcException: Wrong username or
> password.
>         at
> org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcClient$Worker.execute
> (XmlRpcClient.java:457)
>         at org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcClient.execute
> (XmlRpcClient.java:163)
>         at test1.main(test1.java:68)
> 
> getting  this error when trying to use
> METABLOG.NEWPOST from a java 
> file.. The Structure for the content(which has a
> title and 
> description)which I am adding to the params array is
> giving the 
> problem I guess.
> 
> 
(Continue reading)

Llama_child | 16 Aug 15:54 2004
Picon

xml-rpc authentication for specific methods

Hello!

I've been fiddling with xml-rpc for a while now and totally dig it. I 
have a small problem. Let me explain..

I have an xml-rpc server written in PHP and a client written in Flash 
MX. I want the server to allow the client to call methods that are 
restricted in access, I basically have a couple of methods I need to 
authenticate users first. I've read that the best way to do this is 
the challenge-authenticate method, which I assume works like thus:

1) the client calls the xml-rpc method "getChallenge"
2) the server creates a seed, and stores it in a database indexed by 
IP address.
3) the client then MD5's the password and seed together and calls the 
restricted method e.g: updateDatabase(seedAndPassword, 
arrayOfValuesToUpdateDB)
4) the server grabs the seed from the database (based on IP address) 
and MD5's the seed with the password in the DB, if things are groovy, 
the method then carries on and updates the database with the second 
parameter.
5) the seed and IP Address entry is removed from the database 
(ensuring that for each request, the whole Challenge-auth method 
occurs each time; no seed is re-used)

Is this the best way of doing this? Is it not easier to use cookies, 
or should I ride with the "stateless-ness" of xml-rpc and implement 
my server in this manner, or is using cookies seen as "impure"? 

xml-rpc rules, but I need to know wiether I'm going about this the 
(Continue reading)

Robert P. Goldman | 27 Aug 18:07 2004

Re: xml-rpc authentication for specific methods

--- In xml-rpc <at> yahoogroups.com, "Llama_child" <llama_child <at> y...> wrote:
> Hello!
> 
> I've been fiddling with xml-rpc for a while now and totally dig it. I 
> have a small problem. Let me explain..
> 
> I have an xml-rpc server written in PHP and a client written in Flash 
> MX. I want the server to allow the client to call methods that are 
> restricted in access, I basically have a couple of methods I need to 
> authenticate users first. I've read that the best way to do this is 
> the challenge-authenticate method, which I assume works like thus:
> 
> 1) the client calls the xml-rpc method "getChallenge"
> 2) the server creates a seed, and stores it in a database indexed by 
> IP address.
> 3) the client then MD5's the password and seed together and calls the 
> restricted method e.g: updateDatabase(seedAndPassword, 
> arrayOfValuesToUpdateDB)
> 4) the server grabs the seed from the database (based on IP address) 
> and MD5's the seed with the password in the DB, if things are groovy, 
> the method then carries on and updates the database with the second 
> parameter.
> 5) the seed and IP Address entry is removed from the database 
> (ensuring that for each request, the whole Challenge-auth method 
> occurs each time; no seed is re-used)
> 
> Is this the best way of doing this? Is it not easier to use cookies, 
> or should I ride with the "stateless-ness" of xml-rpc and implement 
> my server in this manner, or is using cookies seen as "impure"? 
> 
(Continue reading)


Gmane