Addi | 1 Jul 01:18 2005

Broken links on website

All of the whiteboard plugin links on the website are not found:

The requested URL 
/pluginDocs/plugins_0_70/org.apache.forrest.plugin.view was not found on 
this server.

Regular plugin links seem OK.

- Addi

David Crossley | 1 Jul 01:50 2005
Picon

Re: Donation of servlet control code (for Eclipse plugin)

David Crossley wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > 
> > So i am going to remove activation.jar now and create an FAQ.
> 
> Okay that is done. Anil would you please check my instructions.
> I did not follow them.
> 
> The document is started at:
> site-author/content/xdocs/tools/eclipse.xml

I presume that this will suffice for developers.
We are not yet ready for users anyway.

If so, then please verify my instructions.

-David

David Crossley | 1 Jul 02:11 2005
Picon

Re: Donation of servlet control code (for Eclipse plugin)

Ross Gardler wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> 
> This makes the whole update site thing worthless because we will not be 
> able to distribute from the Forrest site.

Sorry, i don't use Eclipse (yet) so i am not much help.

Why does it need the activation.jar to be included in our plugin?

Does Eclipse enable users to install additional supporting jars
that are then available to plugins.

How do other Eclipse plugins cope with this?

> Would it be acceptable to make the Forrest Eclipse Update site come from 
> another location? I'm not sure what the legal implications of this would 
> be. It is possible to force the user to agree to license terms on 
> installation, so we could set it up to have both the ASF and Sun 
> licenses in there.

If any site can re-distribute it then Maven would be already.
I mean, is it only the need for a license click-through that
prevents it?

> Is this one for the legal list?

Perhaps. I presume that other ASF projects already have stumbled
on this, so i would be surprised if it wasn't raised already.
Still, perhaps it is worth trying again if we cannot find another
(Continue reading)

David Crossley | 1 Jul 03:19 2005
Picon

please review Issue Tracker for pending patches

Now that the release is done, would people please speak up
if they see a patch sitting in our Jira Issue Tracker.

I cannot see any way to get Jira to show only those open issues
that have attachments. So we need the dev community to browse
and find them.

In future perhaps we should rename any issue that has a patch
by pre-pending [PATCH] to the subject.

-David

Tim Williams | 1 Jul 04:44 2005
Picon

Merging locationmap with trunk [was: Merging views with trunk]

> Now to the road-map I see for views and the lm-branch:
> 1) Fix all issues with the lm in the lm-branch (there are just minor
> ones that I am aware of)
> 2) merge all lm related stuff with trunk (branch->trunk)
> 3) merge all view changes into whiteboard trunk (branch->trunk) That
> step is and should be independent from step 2, it is only after this
> step because we now have 1 contract that is based on the lm stuff.
> 4) *Stop* and freeze developing the view plugins in trunk!!!
> 5) Open view-branch and start to integrate views into the core

I think the only issue with the locationmap branch that I can find is
FOR-554.  With the suggested workaround that I describe below, I think
we can take that off the list for now and allow the branch to go ahead
and be merged.  I don't want to be too pushy here, but locationmap
branch already seems to have gotten a bad rep for being away from
trunk too long so I think anything we can do to let others take
advantage of the goodness that's in this branch, the better off we'll
be.

Here's my proposal for FOR-554.  Essentially, do an exists check for
locationmap resolution, then as an otherwise, go back to the default
location and let the SourceNotFoundException come from there.  That
will get an understandable error message at least.

For example, what we have now:
<map:select type="exists">
  <map:when test="{project:content.xdocs}tabs.xml">
    <map:generate src="{project:content.xdocs}tabs.xml"/>
  </map:when>
  <map:otherwise>
(Continue reading)

David Crossley | 1 Jul 08:09 2005
Picon

Re: Joint Lenya/Forrest list

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > 
> > What to do when there are two PMCs involved? I don't know.
> > Who will be responsible?
> 
> If we make a virtual list (which I prefer) that posts mails on both
> developer lists with added [lefo] in the subject, then each PMC will be
> responsible for their dev list, as is now.
> 
> > The discussion was very rushed. Are you sure that was a decision?
> 
> I think I saw consensus. To test it, it's easy to ask for a [VOTE]
> before acting.

I was referring to how the new list should operate.
We hadn't decided how. Though i was distracted with the
release at the time, so it was a blur for me.
Also is Lenya happy with this?

I still don't see how such a virtual list would work.
Can someone explain?

-David

David Crossley | 1 Jul 08:29 2005
Picon

Re: zone for testing forrest

Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > 
> > I still need to figure out how to send mail if something fails.
> > Thorsten/Antonio: have the Lenya/Cocoon people been able to
> > send mail from their zone.
> 
> I was in #asfinfra, here the log:
> (16:40:43) target-x: hello all
> (16:41:12) target-x: Can we send mails from our zones?
> (16:41:51) quasi: it needs to be allowed on hermes
> (16:43:04) target-x: How can we from lenya and forrest request this
> permission?
> (16:43:16) target-x: mail to infrastructure list?
> (16:43:24) quasi: or a jira issue
> (16:43:24) target-x: from pmc head
> (16:43:37) target-x: or normal committer which is in the pmc?
> (16:44:52) gregor: what do we need it for, target-x?
> (16:45:02) quasi: if you send the mail cc to the pmc, then documentation
> should be ok 
> 
> HTH

Thanks, however i had already asked on Infra <at> 
Will try again.

-David

Ross Gardler | 1 Jul 09:16 2005
Picon

Re: Donation of servlet control code (for Eclipse plugin)

David Crossley wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
> 
>>David Crossley wrote:
>>
>>This makes the whole update site thing worthless because we will not be 
>>able to distribute from the Forrest site.
> 
> 
> Sorry, i don't use Eclipse (yet) so i am not much help.
> 
> Why does it need the activation.jar to be included in our plugin?

You know, that is a very good question. When I went through the jars the 
other day to see which were required now that I have stripped the 
JettyPlus stuff, I never actually tried that one. No idea why not.

Anil, could you try removing this from your local copy and see if it 
still works.

> Does Eclipse enable users to install additional supporting jars
> that are then available to plugins.
> 
> How do other Eclipse plugins cope with this?

You can have dependencies between plugins. It is possible, as Anil 
suggested, to create plugin that contains only the non-license 
compatible jars. This will then be downloaded from another location.

I'm not sure if this dependency can be automatically resolved or not. 
(Continue reading)

Ross Gardler | 1 Jul 09:33 2005
Picon

Re: Merging locationmap with trunk [was: Merging views with trunk]

Tim Williams wrote:
>>Now to the road-map I see for views and the lm-branch:
>>1) Fix all issues with the lm in the lm-branch (there are just minor
>>ones that I am aware of)
>>2) merge all lm related stuff with trunk (branch->trunk)
>>3) merge all view changes into whiteboard trunk (branch->trunk) That
>>step is and should be independent from step 2, it is only after this
>>step because we now have 1 contract that is based on the lm stuff.
>>4) *Stop* and freeze developing the view plugins in trunk!!!
>>5) Open view-branch and start to integrate views into the core
> 
> 
> I think the only issue with the locationmap branch that I can find is
> FOR-554.  With the suggested workaround that I describe below, I think
> we can take that off the list for now and allow the branch to go ahead
> and be merged.

Your workaround is a good one. I also note you are working with the 
Cocoon community to solve the problem in a more permanent way. Please 
provide a patch for your workaround, I will apply it early next week 
(out of office until then).

The actual merge is going to be complex though. When the views were 
brought over there was a partial merge of the tree so there and now it 
appears that people don't want it to go back into trunk.

I don't want to tackle this until I have a good couple of hours to focus 
on it. I doubt that will be until the tail end of next week.

> 2) I've come to understand that we need a more robust location
(Continue reading)

Ross Gardler | 1 Jul 09:33 2005
Picon

Re: Donation of servlet control code (for Eclipse plugin)

David Crossley wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> 
>>David Crossley wrote:
>>
>>>So i am going to remove activation.jar now and create an FAQ.
>>
>>Okay that is done. Anil would you please check my instructions.
>>I did not follow them.
>>
>>The document is started at:
>>site-author/content/xdocs/tools/eclipse.xml
> 
> 
> I presume that this will suffice for developers.
> We are not yet ready for users anyway.
> 
> If so, then please verify my instructions.

I've not checked your doc yet (getting my mail done before leaving the 
office again), Anil can you check this for us.

With respect to users, there have been quite a few users asking about 
starting and stopping Forrest from Eclipse on the user list. This cannot 
be done safely without the plugin. So there are Users ready to use this, 
and it does work enough for that, I use it all the time).

Ross

(Continue reading)


Gmane