Simone Tripodi | 1 Aug 21:03 2011
Picon

Re: database access in Cocoon 3?

Hi guys!!!
would you mind to fill an Issue on Cocoon bug tracker for this feature request?
Many thanks in advance, have a nice day!!!
Simo

http://people.apache.org/~simonetripodi/
http://www.99soft.org/

2011/7/29 Frank <franco.pace <at> tpg.com.au>:
> Hello,
>
> I would agree on the need of an SQL transformer.
>
> We have a significant investment in 2.1 code using the SQL transformer. We don't intend to look at cocoon
3.0 until production release (mainly because we are a small group and don't have the time or resources to
evaluate at this stage)
> But in order to upgrade our sitemap code to a version that does not have such a transformer would be too
costly. At worst we would have to develop our own transformer when the time comes.
>
> This would not be ideal as i am sure we don't have the same level of expertise in the java/cocoon 3.0
framework as the Apache developers. So I would agree with Lars and request that the team include an SQL
transformer in the framework.
>
> Cheers,
> Frank
>
> On 29/07/2011, at 2:47 AM, Lars Huttar wrote:
>
>> On 7/28/2011 2:26 AM, Francesco Chicchiriccò wrote:
>>> On 28/07/2011 00:32, Lars Huttar wrote:
(Continue reading)

Thorsten Scherler | 2 Aug 10:53 2011
Picon

Re: database access in Cocoon 3?

On Thu, 2011-07-28 at 11:47 -0500, Lars Huttar wrote:
> On 7/28/2011 2:26 AM, Francesco Chicchiriccò wrote:
> > On 28/07/2011 00:32, Lars Huttar wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> In the past (Cocoon 2.1) we used XSP pages for database queries to 
> >> return results as XML for processing in Cocoon pipelines.
> >>
> >> Looking toward the future with 2.2 and beyond, we saw that XSP pages 
> >> were deprecated, so we started using SQL transformer instead.
> >>
> >> With Cocoon 3.0, is the SQL transformer still part of the picture? (I 
> >> don't see it among the samples.) Or is there something else that is 
> >> recommended for grabbing data from a database as input to a pipeline?
> >
> > Not as far as I know: anyway, nothing obstacles to add it in 
> > cocoon-optional or - better - in a separate module.
> > Nowadays there are many choices (JPA, iBatis, ...) not available at 
> > the time of the SQL transformer...
> >
> > Regards.
> >
> 
> Thanks for this reply.
> Is there any way I can contribute toward SQL transformer (or a 
> replacement) being added to Cocoon 3?

Yes there is. :) Please have a look on my commit r1142136 there I
migrated the "old" DirectoryGenerator.java to c3. With this commit you
can see the main tasks involved.
(Continue reading)

Lars Huttar | 5 Aug 00:30 2011

Re: database access in Cocoon 3?

On 8/1/2011 2:03 PM, Simone Tripodi wrote:
> Hi guys!!!
> would you mind to fill an Issue on Cocoon bug tracker for this feature request?
> Many thanks in advance, have a nice day!!!
> Simo
>
> http://people.apache.org/~simonetripodi/
> http://www.99soft.org/

I didn't realize I could do this!

Here's the new issue:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON-2312

Lars
Nathaniel, Alfred | 5 Aug 07:39 2011

RE: database access in Cocoon 3?

Please open the issue under https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON3 since the COCOON project
in JIRA is for C2 related issues.

Cheers, Alfred.

-----Original Message-----
From: Lars Huttar [mailto:language-maps_intl <at> sil.org] 
Sent: Freitag, 5. August 2011 00:31
To: users <at> cocoon.apache.org
Cc: Simone Tripodi
Subject: Re: database access in Cocoon 3?

On 8/1/2011 2:03 PM, Simone Tripodi wrote:
> Hi guys!!!
> would you mind to fill an Issue on Cocoon bug tracker for this feature request?
> Many thanks in advance, have a nice day!!!
> Simo
>
> http://people.apache.org/~simonetripodi/

> http://www.99soft.org/


I didn't realize I could do this!

Here's the new issue:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON-2312


Lars


The content of this e-mail is intended only for the confidential use of the person addressed. 
(Continue reading)

Nathaniel, Alfred | 5 Aug 15:41 2011

[C3] User survey on increase of minimum Java version to 1.6.0 for Cocoon3

Dear Cocooneers,

On the dev list we have been discussing whether to increase
the minimum Java version required for building and running
Cocoon3 (C3) from currently 1.5.0 (Java5) to 1.6.0 (Java6).

C3 is a green-field reimplementation of the Cocoon pipeline concept.
Thanks to the efforts of Reinhold Pötz and many others, C3 has now
already enough functionality implemented to be useful for certain
application types.

Java5 has been declared end-of-life in Oct 2009 with extended
support until 2015.  Java6 has been available since Dec 2006.

Given the choice you should certainly prefer to run Cocoon on Java6
to profit from its performance improvements.  For developers Java6
also offers a new features.

In fact, C3 developers usually use Java6 telling it to behave like
Java5.  When not careful the odd Java6-ism can sneak into the codebase.
That breaks the backwards compatibility when deployed on real Java5.

These are all solvable problems but a bit of a hassle draining the
scarce resources we can devote to the improvements of C3.  Therefore
the proposal to make Java6 the minimum version required for C3.

But we care about our fellow Cocoon aficionados and don't want to
leave anyone behind.  

Therefore this user survey:
(Continue reading)

Nathaniel Grove | 11 Aug 15:18 2011

Location of I18N catalogs

I am new to using the Cocoon I18N feature and have only worked off the 
example given in samples/i18n. The way I have it set up is that the 
catalogs are in their own /translations/ folder at the top level of the 
project. The location is then set in the map:transformer element for i18n:

<catalogues default="messages">
<catalogue id="messages" name="messages" location="translations"/>
</catalogues>

I was wondering if it is possible to get the i18n catalogs from a 
location outside of Cocoon, such as a database via a PHP script that 
formats it into the proper XML. I tried setting the location to a cocoon 
relative pipeline "cocoon:/..." that read in an outside XML file but 
this didn't work. Is it possible to do something like this?

Thanks,

Than G.
Andy Stevens | 11 Aug 15:40 2011

Re: Location of I18N catalogs

What version of cocoon?
It's certainly possible, as I've done it myself in the past, although I think that was with version 2.1.something. Can't remember if it was configured on the components setup or the transformer tag in the pipeline, though.
One thing to beware of is the catalog is only read once and cached, so if you're generating the catalog xml from a database that is updated you may need to restart the app subsequently. That or adapt the code to allow it to be refreshed periodically.

Andy.
--

On 11 Aug 2011 14:19, "Nathaniel Grove" <ndg8f <at> virginia.edu> wrote:
> I am new to using the Cocoon I18N feature and have only worked off the
> example given in samples/i18n. The way I have it set up is that the
> catalogs are in their own /translations/ folder at the top level of the
> project. The location is then set in the map:transformer element for i18n:
>
> <catalogues default="messages">
> <catalogue id="messages" name="messages" location="translations"/>
> </catalogues>
>
> I was wondering if it is possible to get the i18n catalogs from a
> location outside of Cocoon, such as a database via a PHP script that
> formats it into the proper XML. I tried setting the location to a cocoon
> relative pipeline "cocoon:/..." that read in an outside XML file but
> this didn't work. Is it possible to do something like this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Than G.
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe <at> cocoon.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help <at> cocoon.apache.org
>
Nathaniel Grove | 11 Aug 23:33 2011

Re: Location of I18N catalogs

Yes, I'm using Cocoon 2.1.11 and I've gotten the basic I18N mechanism to work, but I'm confused how to go about getting the translations from outside of cocoon. I tried putting a URL in the location attribute as well as a Cocoon relative pipeline call, but neither worked. Do you have a code snippet you could share that shows how you did it?

Thanks,

Than

On 8/11/2011 9:40 AM, Andy Stevens wrote:

What version of cocoon?
It's certainly possible, as I've done it myself in the past, although I think that was with version 2.1.something. Can't remember if it was configured on the components setup or the transformer tag in the pipeline, though.
One thing to beware of is the catalog is only read once and cached, so if you're generating the catalog xml from a database that is updated you may need to restart the app subsequently. That or adapt the code to allow it to be refreshed periodically.

Andy.
--

On 11 Aug 2011 14:19, "Nathaniel Grove" <ndg8f <at> virginia.edu> wrote:
> I am new to using the Cocoon I18N feature and have only worked off the
> example given in samples/i18n. The way I have it set up is that the
> catalogs are in their own /translations/ folder at the top level of the
> project. The location is then set in the map:transformer element for i18n:
>
> <catalogues default="messages">
> <catalogue id="messages" name="messages" location="translations"/>
> </catalogues>
>
> I was wondering if it is possible to get the i18n catalogs from a
> location outside of Cocoon, such as a database via a PHP script that
> formats it into the proper XML. I tried setting the location to a cocoon
> relative pipeline "cocoon:/..." that read in an outside XML file but
> this didn't work. Is it possible to do something like this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Than G.
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe <at> cocoon.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help <at> cocoon.apache.org
>

--
Nathaniel Grove
Research Associate & Technical Director
Tibetan & Himalayan Library
གངས་ལྗོངས་གློག་རྡུལ་དཔེ་མཛོད་ཁང་།
http://www.thlib.org
Andy Stevens | 12 Aug 10:56 2011

Re: Location of I18N catalogs

Hi,

Apologi

On 11 Aug 2011 22:33, "Nathaniel Grove" <ndg8f <at> virginia.edu> wrote:
> Yes, I'm using Cocoon 2.1.11 and I've gotten the basic I18N mechanism to
> work, but I'm confused how to go about getting the translations from
> outside of cocoon. I tried putting a URL in the location attribute as
> well as a Cocoon relative pipeline call, but neither worked. Do you have
> a code snippet you could share that shows how you did it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Than
>
> On 8/11/2011 9:40 AM, Andy Stevens wrote:
>>
>> What version of cocoon?
>> It's certainly possible, as I've done it myself in the past, although
>> I think that was with version 2.1.something. Can't remember if it was
>> configured on the components setup or the transformer tag in the
>> pipeline, though.
>> One thing to beware of is the catalog is only read once and cached, so
>> if you're generating the catalog xml from a database that is updated
>> you may need to restart the app subsequently. That or adapt the code
>> to allow it to be refreshed periodically.
>>
>> Andy.
>> --
>>
>> On 11 Aug 2011 14:19, "Nathaniel Grove" <ndg8f <at> virginia.edu
>> <mailto:ndg8f <at> virginia.edu>> wrote:
>> > I am new to using the Cocoon I18N feature and have only worked off the
>> > example given in samples/i18n. The way I have it set up is that the
>> > catalogs are in their own /translations/ folder at the top level of the
>> > project. The location is then set in the map:transformer element for
>> i18n:
>> >
>> > <catalogues default="messages">
>> > <catalogue id="messages" name="messages" location="translations"/>
>> > </catalogues>
>> >
>> > I was wondering if it is possible to get the i18n catalogs from a
>> > location outside of Cocoon, such as a database via a PHP script that
>> > formats it into the proper XML. I tried setting the location to a
>> cocoon
>> > relative pipeline "cocoon:/..." that read in an outside XML file but
>> > this didn't work. Is it possible to do something like this?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Than G.
>> >
>> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> > To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe <at> cocoon.apache.org
>> <mailto:users-unsubscribe <at> cocoon.apache.org>
>> > For additional commands, e-mail: users-help <at> cocoon.apache.org
>> <mailto:users-help <at> cocoon.apache.org>
>> >
>
> --
> Nathaniel Grove
> Research Associate & Technical Director
> Tibetan & Himalayan Library
> གངས་ལྗོངས་གློག་རྡུལ་དཔེ་མཛོད་ཁང་།
> http://www.thlib.org
Andy Stevens | 12 Aug 11:53 2011

Re: Location of I18N catalogs

Hi,

Apologies for any typos (and the previous incomplete message) - I'm sending this on my phone in the middle of a forest :-)

I believe the relevant code was

<map:sitemap xmlns:map="http://apache.org/cocoon/sitemap/1.0">
<map:components>
<map:transformers>
<map:transformer name="i18n" src="org.apache.cocoon.transformation.I18nTransformer">
<catalogues>
<catalogue id="messages" name="msgs" location="cocoon:/translations" />
... (various closing tags)
<map:pipelines>
<map:pipeline>
<map:act type="session" /> (can't remember why this was present, or if it's actually needed)
<map:match pattern="translations/msgs*.xml">
... stuff to generate catalogue entries for each language. In this case there was a default generator reading a file (msgs.xml, msgs_en.xml, msgs_de.xml, etc.) with the stored procedure call to fetch the tokens & strings for each language, followed by a sql transformer, an xslt transformer to convert to the catalogue xml format, and an xml serialiser.

Hope this helps,

Andy.

On 11 Aug 2011 22:33, "Nathaniel Grove" <ndg8f <at> virginia.edu> wrote:

Gmane