Guenter Milde | 1 Apr 11:30 2009
Picon

Re: control sectioning with custom directive?

On 2009-03-31, Ryan Krauss wrote:

> Any thoughts on this solution?  Is it excessively ugly?  Any better
> ideas on how to handle sections, subsections, and frametitles in
> Beamer?

You could define a class argument, say slidetitle that would mark a
"decorated" section as a slide title and let the writer do some special
action (maybe independend on the actual section level) whenever this
class argument is present::

===========================
 Presentation Title
===========================

Beamer Section 1
------------------------------

.. class:: slidetitle

Slide Title 1
-------------

- Point 1
- Point 2

Beamer Section 2
-------------------------------

Beamer Subsection 2.1
(Continue reading)

Ryan Krauss | 1 Apr 15:19 2009
Picon

Re: control sectioning with custom directive?

I can see where this would make things cleaner and get rid of my dummy subsection.  I would prefer not to do this because in a real presentation, there would be lots of slides and only a few Beamer Sections.  So, if I were going to do something like this, I would prefer to mark the Beamer Sections.

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 4:30 AM, Guenter Milde <milde <at> users.berlios.de> wrote:
On 2009-03-31, Ryan Krauss wrote:

> Any thoughts on this solution?  Is it excessively ugly?  Any better
> ideas on how to handle sections, subsections, and frametitles in
> Beamer?


You could define a class argument, say slidetitle that would mark a
"decorated" section as a slide title and let the writer do some special
action (maybe independend on the actual section level) whenever this
class argument is present::

===========================
 Presentation Title
===========================


Beamer Section 1
------------------------------

.. class:: slidetitle

Slide Title 1
-------------

- Point 1
- Point 2


Beamer Section 2
-------------------------------


Beamer Subsection 2.1
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


.. class:: slidetitle

Slide Title 2
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- Point A
- Point B


Beamer Subsection 2.2
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

.. class:: slidetitle

Slide Title 3
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- Point X
- Point Y


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Docutils-users mailing list
Docutils-users <at> lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/docutils-users

Please use "Reply All" to reply to the list.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stefan Merten | 2 Apr 18:10 2009
Picon

Re: help with directives and nodes for rst2beamer

Hi Ryan!

I'm putting this to the [Docutils-develop] also because it really
belongs there. I think we should continue there.

Last week (7 days ago) Ryan Krauss wrote:
> I have been working on modifying the rst2beamer script I found here:
> http://www.agapow.net/programming/python/rst2beamer

I've never seen this and was even not aware that it exists.

I wrote the same thing recently and you can find it in the repository
at

	sandbox/rst2beamer

> I would like to add support for sections and subsections.  The trick is that
> the current version uses sections of level 0 as the titles of the slides.
> This makes sense and is compatible with rst2s5.  It also makes creating
> short presentations very intuitive (in my opinion).  The problem is that
> creating long presentations where you want to specify sections and
> subsections becomes tricky.  This is an important feature that Beamer
> handles very well.

Yes. And this was exactly the reason why I wanted a writer for LaTeX
Beamer. I guess with my writer you will be probably closer to what you
are looking for. Though it is still in the very beginning it can do
nice Beamer slides already.

[...]
> Is this the right approach?

I'm not one of the Docutils core hackers but it doesn't look right to
me. AFAICS it also has the additional bad effect that the source file
is tied to this writer because other writers don't know this
directive. That is something I tried to prevent.

						Grüße

						Stefan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wolfgang Fellger | 4 Apr 01:22 2009
Picon

Re: help with directives and nodes for rst2beamer

Ryan Krauss wrote:

>I have managed to add a few features and learn a lot about rst in the
>process.  My current version is here:
>http://home.cs.siue.edu/rkrauss/python_website/rst/rst2beamer.py

I wasn't aware of that and simply hacked away my own implementation for a
speech I had to give recently :)

It's much to primitive to show around, and seeing there are at least two
other implementations already available, I should probably scrap the whole
thing; but perhaps you're interested in input.

I indeed tied RST's sections to Beamer's sections, which makes perfect sense
to me. Apart from that I used a simple approach similar to rst2odp:
A title starts a new frame with that title as heading; a transition also
starts a new frame, but without heading.

Using a suitable template (like Madrid with secheaders), current section and
subsection will be displayed on each frame, along with a big heading whenever
the section changes.

One problem with that approach is that there's a risk to produce empty frames
- whenever a section is immediately followed by a subsection. For the one
case in my presentation, I just removed that manuelly from the LaTeX source.

--

-- 
Wolfgang Fellger

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chris G | 9 Apr 11:26 2009
Picon

Large indent or columns - possible?

I think I may have asked this before but it must have been a long time
ago and I think the question is a little different now anyway?

Is there any way in reStructuredText to position text well over to the
right of the 'page'?  I either want a very large indent (that I can
turn on and off somehow) or I want to be able to specify columns of text.

I know things like sidebars can position chunks of text across to the
right but by default they have a border round them and I don't want that.
Can one turn off the border with directives?

--

-- 
Chris Green

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by:
High Quality Requirements in a Collaborative Environment.
Download a free trial of Rational Requirements Composer Now!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/www-ibm-com
Ben Finney | 9 Apr 15:06 2009
Picon

Re: Large indent or columns - possible?

Chris G <cl <at> isbd.net> writes:

> Is there any way in reStructuredText to position text well over to
> the right of the 'page'? I either want a very large indent (that I
> can turn on and off somehow) or I want to be able to specify columns
> of text.
> 
> I know things like sidebars can position chunks of text across to
> the right but by default they have a border round them and I don't
> want that. Can one turn off the border with directives?

You're talking about presentation style of the output; that's done
with a style sheet, independent of docutils.

In the source document, apply a semantically meaningful class to the
elements you want to be semantically different, and style that class
appropriately in the style sheet.

--

-- 
 \         “I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.” |
  `\                             —Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943 |
_o__)                                                                  |
Ben Finney <ben <at> benfinney.id.au>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by:
High Quality Requirements in a Collaborative Environment.
Download a free trial of Rational Requirements Composer Now!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/www-ibm-com
_______________________________________________
Docutils-users mailing list
Docutils-users <at> lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/docutils-users

Please use "Reply All" to reply to the list.
Chris G | 9 Apr 15:16 2009
Picon

Re: Large indent or columns - possible?

On Thu, Apr 09, 2009 at 11:06:13PM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> Chris G <cl <at> isbd.net> writes:
> 
> > Is there any way in reStructuredText to position text well over to
> > the right of the 'page'? I either want a very large indent (that I
> > can turn on and off somehow) or I want to be able to specify columns
> > of text.
> > 
> > I know things like sidebars can position chunks of text across to
> > the right but by default they have a border round them and I don't
> > want that. Can one turn off the border with directives?
> 
> You're talking about presentation style of the output; that's done
> with a style sheet, independent of docutils.
> 
> In the source document, apply a semantically meaningful class to the
> elements you want to be semantically different, and style that class
> appropriately in the style sheet.
> 
OK, thanks for the advice.

--

-- 
Chris Green

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by:
High Quality Requirements in a Collaborative Environment.
Download a free trial of Rational Requirements Composer Now!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/www-ibm-com
Aaron Watters | 10 Apr 15:54 2009
Picon

ReST/WSGI/WHIFF

Hi folks,

I'm trying to figure out how to write a
WSGI middleware to format ReST within the
WHIFF WSGI infrastructure, and it's not
immediately clear to me.  Please help.

It should be similar to the Pygments
middleware, I would think.

http://aaron.oirt.rutgers.edu/cgi-bin/whiffRepo.cgi/file/f9fb0a9464bd/whiff/middleware/pygmentsColorize.py

Basically I'd like to know how to pass
a string in and get HTML back and then
match that up with a CSS style sheet.
I want an HTML fragment -- not a complete
document, please.

For background on WHIFF please look here:
  http://whiff.sourceforge.net

I'm quite certain I'm missing some obvious
piece of documentation out of stupidity
and for that I apologize in advance.  Please
be kind to dumb animals.

   -- Aaron Watters

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by:
High Quality Requirements in a Collaborative Environment.
Download a free trial of Rational Requirements Composer Now!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/www-ibm-com
Michael Foord | 10 Apr 16:10 2009
Picon

Re: ReST/WSGI/WHIFF

Aaron Watters wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm trying to figure out how to write a
> WSGI middleware to format ReST within the
> WHIFF WSGI infrastructure, and it's not
> immediately clear to me.  Please help.
>
> It should be similar to the Pygments
> middleware, I would think.
>
> http://aaron.oirt.rutgers.edu/cgi-bin/whiffRepo.cgi/file/f9fb0a9464bd/whiff/middleware/pygmentsColorize.py
>
> Basically I'd like to know how to pass
> a string in and get HTML back and then
> match that up with a CSS style sheet.
> I want an HTML fragment -- not a complete
> document, please.
>
> For background on WHIFF please look here:
>   http://whiff.sourceforge.net
>
> I'm quite certain I'm missing some obvious
> piece of documentation out of stupidity
> and for that I apologize in advance.  Please
> be kind to dumb animals.
>   

docutils.core.publish_parts is what you want. It isn't fast so you will 
want to cache results.

http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/api/publisher.html#publish-parts-details
http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/api/runtime-settings.html

HTH

Michael Foord

>    -- Aaron Watters
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> This SF.net email is sponsored by:
> High Quality Requirements in a Collaborative Environment.
> Download a free trial of Rational Requirements Composer Now!
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/www-ibm-com
> _______________________________________________
> Docutils-users mailing list
> Docutils-users <at> lists.sourceforge.net
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/docutils-users
>
> Please use "Reply All" to reply to the list.
>   

--

-- 
http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by:
High Quality Requirements in a Collaborative Environment.
Download a free trial of Rational Requirements Composer Now!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/www-ibm-com
Michael Foord | 11 Apr 02:47 2009
Picon

CSS for two column table

Hello all,

Anyone got any CSS for making good looking tables with docutils html?

I need a page with about 11 different tables, all two column with short 
text in the first column and a long description to the right.

All the best,

Michael

--

-- 
http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by:
High Quality Requirements in a Collaborative Environment.
Download a free trial of Rational Requirements Composer Now!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/www-ibm-com

Gmane