Nancy Brandt | 1 Jun 12:51 2008
Picon

customizing pagesetup.xsl

Hi folks!

Nobody has answered me yet, so I repost my request, as
the issue is urgent.

I am writing in  Docbook XML compiling documents with
XSLTPROC and FOP 0.94. 

I would like to customize the first titlepage by
adding a
background image to it. The definition of the
first titlepage is located in fo/pagesetup.xsl

http://docbook.xml-doc.org/snapshots/xsl/fo/pagesetup.xsl

The problem with pagesetup.xsl is that when I only
need to customize, the titlepage-first 
master page, I need to copy the whole set of master
pages to my customization layer, and that's a huge
amount of redundant code. Otherwise, compilation
fails. Could you please explain how to customize only
the titlepage-first  master page within the set?

I turned to Norman Walsh, but he doesn't have a clear
answer for me right now. May be you have ideas :-)

Big thanks!  :-)

Nancy
(Continue reading)

Camille Bégnis | 1 Jun 14:30 2008

Re: Re: [docbook-comment] internationalisation after 17 years

Hi,

If that's not too much of a maintenance nightmare, I suggest 2 versions
of the schema are published: with and without i18n stuff. Just thinking
of newcomers scared by 400+ elements, not all of them very explicitly named.

My 2 hazelnuts.

Camille.

Jirka Kosek wrote:
> Norman Walsh wrote:
>> [ Forwarding to the docbook <at> lists.oasis-open.org list because that's
>>   were actual technical discussion takes place. (Not your fault,
>> Michiel.) ]
>>
>> / Michiel Kamermans <mkamerma <at> science.uva.nl> was heard to say:
>> | Docbook has been around for 17 years, and it's *still* not properly
>> | internationalised. I've been waiting for the DocBook 5 specification
>> | in the hopes it would follow the W3C ruby annotation used in CJK
>> | languages but useful outside this context too, only to see that as of
>> | the most recent v5 specification there is still no such thing
>> | available in DocBook, making it impossible to write textbooks in
>> | English about Chinese or Japanese, or write full texts in these
>> | languages for all audiences.
>>
>> Thank you for this comment. I'm sorry that we weren't made aware of
>> this deficiency earlier. I consider proper internationalization a
>> critical requirement for DocBook markup.
>
(Continue reading)

Jean Jordaan | 2 Jun 12:50 2008
Picon

Re: What is an "inline block"?

> The wording is better in TDG for DocBook 5:
> http://docbook.org/tdg5/en/html/bibliolist.html

Indeed. Maybe it can be used as example for the 4.x version.

--

-- 
jean                     . .. .... //\\\oo///\\
Mauritz Jeanson | 2 Jun 14:27 2008

RE: customizing pagesetup.xsl

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Nancy Brandt 
> 
> I would like to customize the first titlepage by
> adding a
> background image to it. The definition of the
> first titlepage is located in fo/pagesetup.xsl
> 
> http://docbook.xml-doc.org/snapshots/xsl/fo/pagesetup.xsl
> 
> The problem with pagesetup.xsl is that when I only
> need to customize, the titlepage-first 
> master page, I need to copy the whole set of master
> pages to my customization layer, and that's a huge
> amount of redundant code. Otherwise, compilation
> fails. Could you please explain how to customize only
> the titlepage-first  master page within the set?

This seems like a use case for the user.pagemasters and
select.user.pagemaster templates.
See http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/PageDesign.html#DeclarePageMasters.

Mauritz
Adrian Paschke | 2 Jun 23:17 2008
Picon

RuleML-2008: Deadline Extension

[ our apologies should you receive this message more than one time ]

=====================================================================
Due to a number of requests we have to decided to extend
the submission deadline by 2 weeks.

         NEW deadline for paper/demo submission: June 16
=====================================================================

            2008 International RuleML Symposium
       on Rule Interchange and Applications (RuleML-2008)

          October 30-31, 2008, Orlando, Florida
               http://2008.ruleml.org

--------------------------------------------------------------------
RuleML-2008 Highlights:

- Keynote speakers:
  * Michael Kifer (State University of New York at Stony Brook, USA),
    on "Rule Interchange Format: Not Just Syntax".
    Joint keynote between RuleML-2008 and RR2008.
  * David Luckham (Stanford University, USA) on complex event processing.
  * Paul Haley (Haley Ltd) on business rules.
  * Benjamin Grosof (Vulcan Inc, USA) on the SILK KRR system of the HALO
    project.
  (Details at: http://2008.ruleml.org/keynote.php )
- Joint Lunch Panel with the Business Rules Forum about "Rules on the Web"
- RuleML-2008 Challenge with prestigious prices
  (Details at: http://2008.ruleml.org/challenge.php )
(Continue reading)

docbook and RDF

Hi all,

 

Does docbook (XML) support constructs similar to those of RDFa (for XHTML) that allows one to assign subject/predicate/object information to [inline] content?  If so, could you provide some examples (or links to examples) on how to do this?  It seems like this should be doable with a few additional global attributes but I don’t want to re-invent the wheel.  Thanks!

 

Matt

mdaenzer | 10 Jun 09:33 2008
Picon

New Page with HTML/Eclipse Help Transformation


Hi there all

We do write our SW documentation and online help (for Eclipse Help System)
with Docbook (using Notepad, Oxygene and the Docbook XSL stylesheets 1.7.4). 
We observed that for every sect2 a new HTML file is generated by the
stylesheets. Up from there all content is merged in one single file. But, we
do have some sect2's which are very large leading to very large files and
this is not very user-friendly. I spent the afternoon yesterday looking for
right spot in the stylesheets (and the Web) to change this behaviour but did
not find it. Doey anybody know if I can set directly in the docbook code
whether the stylesheets should start a new page or not?

Kind regards
Michael Dänzer
--

-- 
View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/New-Page-with-HTML-Eclipse-Help-Transformation-tp17749438p17749438.html
Sent from the docbook General mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
Scott Hudson | 10 Jun 21:22 2008

Re: New Page with HTML/Eclipse Help Transformation

Hi Michael,

I think you need to adjust the chunk section depth. Please see:
http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/Chunking.html
http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/doc/html/chunk.section.depth.html

HTH,

--Scott

mdaenzer wrote:
> Hi there all
> 
> We do write our SW documentation and online help (for Eclipse Help System)
> with Docbook (using Notepad, Oxygene and the Docbook XSL stylesheets 1.7.4).
> We observed that for every sect2 a new HTML file is generated by the
> stylesheets. Up from there all content is merged in one single file. But, we
> do have some sect2's which are very large leading to very large files and
> this is not very user-friendly. I spent the afternoon yesterday looking for
> right spot in the stylesheets (and the Web) to change this behaviour but did
> not find it. Doey anybody know if I can set directly in the docbook code
> whether the stylesheets should start a new page or not?
> 
> Kind regards
> Michael Dänzer
> --
> View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/New-Page-with-HTML-Eclipse-Help-Transformation-tp17749438p17749438.html
> Sent from the docbook General mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
> 
> 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: docbook-unsubscribe <at> lists.oasis-open.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: docbook-help <at> lists.oasis-open.org
> 
Jirka Kosek | 10 Jun 22:16 2008
Picon

Re: docbook and RDF

Johnson, Matthew C. (LNG-HBE) wrote:

> Does docbook (XML) support constructs similar to those of RDFa (for
> XHTML) that allows one to assign subject/predicate/object information to
> [inline] content?  If so, could you provide some examples (or links to
> examples) on how to do this?  It seems like this should be doable with a
> few additional global attributes but I don't want to re-invent the
> wheel.  Thanks!

You can use several XLink attributes on almost any element, that should 
give you even more power then RDFa.

http://docbook.org/tdg5/en/html/ref-elements.html#common.linking.attributes

--

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
   Jirka Kosek      e-mail: jirka <at> kosek.cz      http://xmlguru.cz
------------------------------------------------------------------
        Professional XML consulting and training services
   DocBook customization, custom XSLT/XSL-FO document processing
------------------------------------------------------------------
  OASIS DocBook TC member, W3C Invited Expert, ISO JTC1/SC34 member
------------------------------------------------------------------

RE: docbook and RDF

Thanks Jirka.  This is an intriguing idea.  I've ended up at the W3C
note on "Harvesting RDF Statements from XLinks" [1] so I'll see where
that takes me.  I'm a little concerned about limiting my ability to use
xlink for other purposes but this may be ok in my scenario.  Thanks
again.

Matt

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/NOTE-xlink2rdf-20000929/

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Jirka Kosek [mailto:jirka <at> kosek.cz]
> Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 4:16 PM
> To: Johnson, Matthew C. (LNG-HBE)
> Cc: docbook <at> lists.oasis-open.org
> Subject: Re: [docbook] docbook and RDF
> 
> Johnson, Matthew C. (LNG-HBE) wrote:
> 
> > Does docbook (XML) support constructs similar to those of RDFa (for
> > XHTML) that allows one to assign subject/predicate/object
information to
> > [inline] content?  If so, could you provide some examples (or links
to
> > examples) on how to do this?  It seems like this should be doable
with a
> > few additional global attributes but I don't want to re-invent the
> > wheel.  Thanks!
> 
> You can use several XLink attributes on almost any element, that
should
> give you even more power then RDFa.
> 
> http://docbook.org/tdg5/en/html/ref-
> elements.html#common.linking.attributes
> 
> --
> ------------------------------------------------------------------
>    Jirka Kosek      e-mail: jirka <at> kosek.cz      http://xmlguru.cz
> ------------------------------------------------------------------
>         Professional XML consulting and training services
>    DocBook customization, custom XSLT/XSL-FO document processing
> ------------------------------------------------------------------
>   OASIS DocBook TC member, W3C Invited Expert, ISO JTC1/SC34 member
> ------------------------------------------------------------------

Gmane