Bergfrid Skaara | 1 Dec 13:32 2009
Picon

Re: Unicode check mark missing in XSL-FO PDF output

FOP makes exactly the same font substitutions when using the stock stylesheets and my customization:
Replacing Symbol, normal 700 with Symbol, normal 400
Replacing ZapfDingbats normal 700 with SapfDingbats, normal 400
Replacing ZapfDingbats italic 400 with SapfDingbats, normal 400
 
The check mark is displayed as a hash (#) with the stock stylesheets and as a blank square with customization.
 
Fonts used in PDF are:
 
Stock stylesheets: CourierStd, CourierStd-Bold, Arial-BoldMT, TimesNewRomanPS-BoldMT, TimesNewRomanPS-ItalicMT, and TimesNewRomanPSMT
 
Customization: CourierStd, CourierStd-Bold, Verdana (normal, bold, and italic), and TimesNewRomanPSMT
 
As you can see, Symbol and ZapfDingbats do not appear in the PDF.
FOP is configured with the auto-detect parameter and it correctly detects and embeds Verdana
 
 

-Bergfrid
On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 7:50 PM, Dick Hamilton <rlhamilton <at> frii.com> wrote:
I'm pretty sure the problem is in the font selection, so I'd suggest you check the pdf file to see what fonts it thinks it is using.
 
If they aren't what you expect, then most likely the problem is either in your customization or your font setup for fop.
 
It may also be worth trying to generate the pdf using the standard stylesheets with no stylesheet customization. That will help you eliminate your customization as the problem.
 
Hope that helps.
 
Dick Hamilton
---------------------------------
XML Press
XML for Technical Communicators
http://xmlpress.net
(970) 231-3624
-----Original Message-----
From: Bergfrid Skaara [mailto:bergfrid.digitaldias <at> gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 26, 2009 9:41 AM
To: DocBook Apps
Subject: [docbook-apps] Unicode check mark missing in XSL-FO PDF output

Trying to use the unicode check mark symbol (&check; Hex2713) from isopub.ent, but end up with a blank square in the PDF.

I use oXygen 11 (saxon 6.5.5 and FOP) and DocBook 5 with the 1.75.2 stylesheets.The body-font-family is Verdana, the symbol-font-family is the stylesheet default.

The problem is not the entity files, oXygen resolves the entity and displays the check mark correctly on screen.
I've tried to wrap the entity in a fo-inline by the suggested template customization for FOP. This does not work for me.

I guess it is either FOP or Acrobat that is messing up, but how do I find out which one, and how do I solve it?



Magnus Gäfvert | 1 Dec 14:55 2009
Picon

Using MathML XSL Stylesheets with XHTML and HtmlHelp, again

Hi docbook experts!

I am struggling to get MathML to work with htmlhelp. The only useful reference I found was this <http://markmail.org/thread/5kxwqwx3uihdytv2> thread on this list, where Dean seems to have got this to work. Unfortunately, repeating (at the best of my skills) his steps does not succeed for me.

As described, I made a customization layer xsl (see attachment modelon-htmlhelp.xsl). The transformation (xsltproc with docbook xsl 1.75.2) passes fine and a set of files (index.htm.xml, ch01.htm.xml, etc) are generated. The generated xml files have the head elements (before <html>):
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?> <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="mathml.xsl"?><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Compilation with MS help compiler generate the warnings described in Dean's post and a chm file is generated.

Now, opening  the .chm file shows the document outline but not page contents.  The following error is displayed:

The XML page cannot be displayed

Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

System error: -2146697204. Error processing resource 'http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd'.


The same error is reported when opening index.htm.xml in IE 8. It displays fine in Firefox.

I am quite new to docbook and xslt, so I may have misinterpreted the instructions. Any help or hints to what is wrong would be very much appreciated.

I got xhtml output to work on IE (see attachment modelon-xhtml.xsl), using the header tags
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1 plus MathML 2.0 plus SVG 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/Math/DTD/mathml2/xhtml-math11-f.dtd"> I also tried this dtd with htmlhelp, but without success.

Again, I would be much grateful for any hints or help on this matter.

/Magnus

Attachment (modelon-common.xsl): text/xml, 237 bytes
Attachment (modelon-xhtml.xsl): text/xml, 506 bytes
Attachment (modelon-htmlhelp.xsl): text/xml, 1464 bytes
# Copy this template to your docbook project directory and rename to Makefile.
# Set the DOC variable to the document name (the prefix of your docbook xml file, exclude the .xml suffix):
DOCDIR=/C/JModelica.org-SDK/src/docbook/UsersGuide
DOC=JModelicaUsersGuide
DOCFILE=$(DOCDIR)/$(DOC).xml
XSLHTMLSTYLE=$(DOCBOOK_HOME)/modelon-html-IE.xsl
XSLXHTMLSTYLE=$(DOCBOOK_HOME)/modelon-xhtml.xsl
XSLPDFSTYLE=$(DOCBOOK_HOME)/modelon-fo.xsl
XSLHTMLHELPSTYLE=$(DOCBOOK_HOME)/modelon-htmlhelp.xsl

#http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/doc/html/index.html
$(DOC).xhtml:  $(DOCFILE)
	xsltproc  --xinclude  --output  $ <at>  \
	$(XSLXHTMLSTYLE)  $<
	mv index.html $(DOC).xhtml

xhtml:  $(DOC).xhtml

$(DOC).html:  $(DOCFILE)
	xsltproc --xinclude  --output  $ <at>  \
	$(XSLHTMLSTYLE)  $<

html:  $(DOC).html

# http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/doc/fo/index.html
$(DOC).fo:  $(DOCFILE)
	rm -f $(DOC).fo
	xsltproc --xinclude  --output  $ <at>  \
	--stringparam fop1.extensions 1 \
	$(XSLPDFSTYLE)  $<

$(DOC).pdf: $(DOC).fo
	cmd /c "fop -fo $< $ <at> "
	fop -fo $< $ <at> 

pdf:  $(DOC).pdf

htmlhelp.hhp: $(DOCFILE)
	xsltproc --xinclude $(XSLHTMLHELPSTYLE) $<

htmlhelp: $(DOC).chm

$(DOC).chm: htmlhelp.hhp
	-"$(HTMLHELPWORKSHOP_HOME)/hhc" $<
	mv htmlhelp.chm $ <at> 

ifeq ($(OS),Windows_NT)
winhelp: $(DOC).chm
else
winhelp:
endif

ifeq ($(OS),Windows_NT)
#all: xhtml html pdf winhelp
all: htmlhelp
#all: winhelp xhtml pdf
else
all: xhtml html pdf
endif

clean:
	rm -f *.pdf *.xhtml *.html *.fo *.hhp *.hhc *.chm

Attachment (magnus_gafvert.vcf): text/x-vcard, 296 bytes
---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: docbook-apps-unsubscribe <at> lists.oasis-open.org
For additional commands, e-mail: docbook-apps-help <at> lists.oasis-open.org
Justus-bulk | 1 Dec 12:00 2009

Re: equation display

David Cramer <d.cramer <at> textechinc.us> wrote on Sun, 29 Nov 2009 09:01:29
-0500:

> We need to be able to align specified equations on the equal sign
> (sometimes with intervening text), but I expect that's way too much to
> ask!

Here's what I think is the essence of David's wish, which I share: the
equivalent of a LaTeX eqnarray - a single math environment with multiple
lines of math, each of them (optionally) numbered.

I fear this goes beyond what the current DocBook+MathML integration can
handle.

Justus
Andy Smith | 1 Dec 21:19 2009
Picon

Re: improve DocBook's HTML output

2009/11/30 Bob Stayton <bobs <at> sagehill.net>:
> 5.  You can customize the CSS input file beyond the minimal CSS styles that
> ship with distro.  If so, then put your file with your customization layer
> and change the 'docbook.css.file' parameter to point to your customized
> version.  You just need to keep the <style> root element wrapper.

It would be useful to be able to have a customised style sheet that's
used in addition to the default CSS rather than replacing it. This
would make it easier to keep track of which CSS rules are
customisations and which come from the default style sheet. And it
would make it easier to upgrade to new versions of the DocBook XSL
style sheets, because if the user had a CSS style sheet that's a
customised version of the default CSS, they'd have to merge in any
changes to the default CSS introduced by the upgrade.

Since the 'html.stylesheet' parameter can contain multiple CSS file
names, maybe one way to do this would be to write the generated CSS to
the first file, and treat the others as at present, ie just write
<link> elements and rely on the user to put CSS files in the output
directory. But this seems a bit confusing to me, and I think it would
be simpler to have the generated CSS file name controlled by a
separate parameter.

Andy
DeanNelson | 2 Dec 03:18 2009
Picon

Re: Using MathML XSL Stylesheets with XHTML and HtmlHelp, again

Magnus,
 
MathML for the HTMLHelp is really touchy. I had it working and then I fixed it! Not sure what I did to make it work last year, but I can look into it. I retraced my steps and came up with the same results that you did.
 
Regards,
Dean Nelson
 
In a message dated 12/1/2009 5:56:07 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, magnus.gafvert <at> modelon.se writes:
Hi docbook experts!

I am struggling to get MathML to work with htmlhelp. The only useful reference I found was this <http://markmail.org/thread/5kxwqwx3uihdytv2> thread on this list, where Dean seems to have got this to work. Unfortunately, repeating (at the best of my skills) his steps does not succeed for me.

As described, I made a customization layer xsl (see attachment modelon-htmlhelp.xsl). The transformation (xsltproc with docbook xsl 1.75.2) passes fine and a set of files (index.htm.xml, ch01.htm.xml, etc) are generated. The generated xml files have the head elements (before <html>):
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?> <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="mathml.xsl"?><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Compilation with MS help compiler generate the warnings described in Dean's post and a chm file is generated.

Now, opening  the .chm file shows the document outline but not page contents.  The following error is displayed:

The XML page cannot be displayed

Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

System error: -2146697204. Error processing resource 'http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd'.


The same error is reported when opening index.htm.xml in IE 8. It displays fine in Firefox.

I am quite new to docbook and xslt, so I may have misinterpreted the instructions. Any help or hints to what is wrong would be very much appreciated.

I got xhtml output to work on IE (see attachment modelon-xhtml.xsl), using the header tags
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1 plus MathML 2.0 plus SVG 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/Math/DTD/mathml2/xhtml-math11-f.dtd"> I also tried this dtd with htmlhelp, but without success.

Again, I would be much grateful for any hints or help on this matter.

/Magnus



<?xml version='1.0'?>
<xsl:stylesheet 
    xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" version="1.0">

<xsl:param name="section.autolabel" select="1"/>
<xsl:param name="section.autolabel.max.depth" select="3"/>

</xsl:stylesheet>


<?xml version='1.0'?>
<xsl:stylesheet 
    xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" version="1.0">

<xsl:import href="xhtml-1_1/onechunk.xsl"/>
<xsl:include href="modelon-common.xsl" />

<xsl:param name="chunker.output.doctype-public">-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1 plus MathML 2.0 plus SVG 1.1//EN</xsl:param>

<xsl:param name="chunker.output.doctype-system">http://www.w3.org/Math/DTD/mathml2/xhtml-math11-f.dtd</xsl:param>

<xsl:param name="html.stylesheet" select="'docbook.css'"/>

</xsl:stylesheet>


<?xml version='1.0'?>
<xsl:stylesheet 
    xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" version="1.0">

<!-- http://www.mail-archive.com/docbook-apps <at> lists.oasis-open.org/msg11927.html -->

<xsl:import href="htmlhelp/htmlhelp.xsl"/>
<xsl:include href="modelon-common.xsl" />

<xsl:template name="user.preroot">
<xsl:processing-instruction  name="xml-stylesheet">
<xsl:text>type="text/xsl" href="mathml.xsl"</xsl:text>
</xsl:processing-instruction>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:param name="html.ext">.htm.xml</xsl:param>

<!--
<xsl:param name="chunker.output.doctype-public">-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1 plus MathML 2.0 plus SVG 1.1//EN</xsl:param>

<xsl:param name="chunker.output.doctype-system">http://www.w3.org/Math/DTD/mathml2/xhtml-math11-f.dtd</xsl:param>
-->

<xsl:param name="chunker.output.doctype-public">-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 
Transitional//EN</xsl:param>

<xsl:param 
name="chunker.output.doctype-system">http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd</xsl:param>

<xsl:param  name="chunker.output.omit-xml-declaration">no</xsl:param>
<xsl:param  name="chunker.output.method">xml</xsl:param>
<xsl:param  name="chunker.output.indent">yes</xsl:param>
<xsl:param  name="chunker.output.standalone">no</xsl:param>
<xsl:param  name="chunker.output.encoding">UTF-8</xsl:param>

<xsl:param  name="htmlhelp.hhp.tail"> mathml.xsl
ctop.xsl
pmathml.xsl
pmathmlcss.xsl
</xsl:param>

<xsl:param name="html.stylesheet" select="'docbook.css'"/>

</xsl:stylesheet>


# Copy this template to your docbook project directory and rename to Makefile.
# Set the DOC variable to the document name (the prefix of your docbook xml file, exclude the .xml suffix):
DOCDIR=/C/JModelica.org-SDK/src/docbook/UsersGuide
DOC=JModelicaUsersGuide
DOCFILE=$(DOCDIR)/$(DOC).xml
XSLHTMLSTYLE=$(DOCBOOK_HOME)/modelon-html-IE.xsl
XSLXHTMLSTYLE=$(DOCBOOK_HOME)/modelon-xhtml.xsl
XSLPDFSTYLE=$(DOCBOOK_HOME)/modelon-fo.xsl
XSLHTMLHELPSTYLE=$(DOCBOOK_HOME)/modelon-htmlhelp.xsl

#http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/doc/html/index.html
$(DOC).xhtml:  $(DOCFILE)
    xsltproc  --xinclude  --output  $ <at> \
    $(XSLXHTMLSTYLE)  $<
    mv index.html $(DOC).xhtml

xhtml:  $(DOC).xhtml

$(DOC).html:  $(DOCFILE)
    xsltproc --xinclude  --output  $ <at> \
    $(XSLHTMLSTYLE)  $<

html:  $(DOC).html

# http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/doc/fo/index.html
$(DOC).fo:  $(DOCFILE)
    rm -f $(DOC).fo
    xsltproc --xinclude  --output  $ <at> \
    --stringparam fop1.extensions 1 \
    $(XSLPDFSTYLE)  $<

$(DOC).pdf: $(DOC).fo
    cmd /c "fop -fo $< $ <at> "
    fop -fo $< $ <at>

pdf:  $(DOC).pdf

htmlhelp.hhp: $(DOCFILE)
    xsltproc --xinclude $(XSLHTMLHELPSTYLE) $<

htmlhelp: $(DOC).chm

$(DOC).chm: htmlhelp.hhp
    -"$(HTMLHELPWORKSHOP_HOME)/hhc" $<
    mv htmlhelp.chm $ <at>

ifeq ($(OS),Windows_NT)
winhelp: $(DOC).chm
else
winhelp:
endif

ifeq ($(OS),Windows_NT)
#all: xhtml html pdf winhelp
all: htmlhelp
#all: winhelp xhtml pdf
else
all: xhtml html pdf
endif

clean:
    rm -f *.pdf *.xhtml *.html *.fo *.hhp *.hhc *.chm



---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: docbook-apps-unsubscribe <at> lists.oasis-open.org
For additional commands, e-mail: docbook-apps-help <at> lists.oasis-open.org
Magnus Gäfvert | 2 Dec 08:23 2009
Picon

Re: Using MathML XSL Stylesheets with XHTML and HtmlHelp, again

Thanks Dean.

Although discouraging, I am kind of satisfied to see that is was not a mistake from my side then. I will probably revert to converting the math to png and use vanilla htmlhelp.

Thanks for your time

Best regards,
Magnus

DeanNelson <at> aol.com wrote:
Magnus,
 
MathML for the HTMLHelp is really touchy. I had it working and then I fixed it! Not sure what I did to make it work last year, but I can look into it. I retraced my steps and came up with the same results that you did.
 
Regards,
Dean Nelson
 
In a message dated 12/1/2009 5:56:07 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, magnus.gafvert <at> modelon.se writes:
Hi docbook experts!

I am struggling to get MathML to work with htmlhelp. The only useful reference I found was this <http://markmail.org/thread/5kxwqwx3uihdytv2> thread on this list, where Dean seems to have got this to work. Unfortunately, repeating (at the best of my skills) his steps does not succeed for me.

As described, I made a customization layer xsl (see attachment modelon-htmlhelp.xsl). The transformation (xsltproc with docbook xsl 1.75.2) passes fine and a set of files (index.htm.xml, ch01.htm.xml, etc) are generated. The generated xml files have the head elements (before <html>):
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?> <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="mathml.xsl"?><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Compilation with MS help compiler generate the warnings described in Dean's post and a chm file is generated.

Now, opening  the .chm file shows the document outline but not page contents.  The following error is displayed:

The XML page cannot be displayed

Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

System error: -2146697204. Error processing resource 'http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd'.


The same error is reported when opening index.htm.xml in IE 8. It displays fine in Firefox.

I am quite new to docbook and xslt, so I may have misinterpreted the instructions. Any help or hints to what is wrong would be very much appreciated.

I got xhtml output to work on IE (see attachment modelon-xhtml.xsl), using the header tags
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1 plus MathML 2.0 plus SVG 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/Math/DTD/mathml2/xhtml-math11-f.dtd"> I also tried this dtd with htmlhelp, but without success.

Again, I would be much grateful for any hints or help on this matter.

/Magnus



<?xml version='1.0'?>
<xsl:stylesheet 
    xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" version="1.0">

<xsl:param name="section.autolabel" select="1"/>
<xsl:param name="section.autolabel.max.depth" select="3"/>

</xsl:stylesheet>


<?xml version='1.0'?>
<xsl:stylesheet 
    xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" version="1.0">

<xsl:import href="xhtml-1_1/onechunk.xsl"/>
<xsl:include href="modelon-common.xsl" />

<xsl:param name="chunker.output.doctype-public">-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1 plus MathML 2.0 plus SVG 1.1//EN</xsl:param>

<xsl:param name="chunker.output.doctype-system">http://www.w3.org/Math/DTD/mathml2/xhtml-math11-f.dtd</xsl:param>

<xsl:param name="html.stylesheet" select="'docbook.css'"/>

</xsl:stylesheet>


<?xml version='1.0'?>
<xsl:stylesheet 
    xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" version="1.0">

<!-- http://www.mail-archive.com/docbook-apps <at> lists.oasis-open.org/msg11927.html -->

<xsl:import href="htmlhelp/htmlhelp.xsl"/>
<xsl:include href="modelon-common.xsl" />

<xsl:template name="user.preroot">
<xsl:processing-instruction  name="xml-stylesheet">
<xsl:text>type="text/xsl" href="mathml.xsl"</xsl:text>
</xsl:processing-instruction>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:param name="html.ext">.htm.xml</xsl:param>

<!--
<xsl:param name="chunker.output.doctype-public">-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1 plus MathML 2.0 plus SVG 1.1//EN</xsl:param>

<xsl:param name="chunker.output.doctype-system">http://www.w3.org/Math/DTD/mathml2/xhtml-math11-f.dtd</xsl:param>
-->

<xsl:param name="chunker.output.doctype-public">-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 
Transitional//EN</xsl:param>

<xsl:param 
name="chunker.output.doctype-system">http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd</xsl:param>

<xsl:param  name="chunker.output.omit-xml-declaration">no</xsl:param>
<xsl:param  name="chunker.output.method">xml</xsl:param>
<xsl:param  name="chunker.output.indent">yes</xsl:param>
<xsl:param  name="chunker.output.standalone">no</xsl:param>
<xsl:param  name="chunker.output.encoding">UTF-8</xsl:param>

<xsl:param  name="htmlhelp.hhp.tail"> mathml.xsl
ctop.xsl
pmathml.xsl
pmathmlcss.xsl
</xsl:param>

<xsl:param name="html.stylesheet" select="'docbook.css'"/>

</xsl:stylesheet>


# Copy this template to your docbook project directory and rename to Makefile.
# Set the DOC variable to the document name (the prefix of your docbook xml file, exclude the .xml suffix):
DOCDIR=/C/JModelica.org-SDK/src/docbook/UsersGuide
DOC=JModelicaUsersGuide
DOCFILE=$(DOCDIR)/$(DOC).xml
XSLHTMLSTYLE=$(DOCBOOK_HOME)/modelon-html-IE.xsl
XSLXHTMLSTYLE=$(DOCBOOK_HOME)/modelon-xhtml.xsl
XSLPDFSTYLE=$(DOCBOOK_HOME)/modelon-fo.xsl
XSLHTMLHELPSTYLE=$(DOCBOOK_HOME)/modelon-htmlhelp.xsl

#http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/doc/html/index.html
$(DOC).xhtml:  $(DOCFILE)
    xsltproc  --xinclude  --output  $ <at> \
    $(XSLXHTMLSTYLE)  $<
    mv index.html $(DOC).xhtml

xhtml:  $(DOC).xhtml

$(DOC).html:  $(DOCFILE)
    xsltproc --xinclude  --output  $ <at> \
    $(XSLHTMLSTYLE)  $<

html:  $(DOC).html

# http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/doc/fo/index.html
$(DOC).fo:  $(DOCFILE)
    rm -f $(DOC).fo
    xsltproc --xinclude  --output  $ <at> \
    --stringparam fop1.extensions 1 \
    $(XSLPDFSTYLE)  $<

$(DOC).pdf: $(DOC).fo
    cmd /c "fop -fo $< $ <at> "
    fop -fo $< $ <at>

pdf:  $(DOC).pdf

htmlhelp.hhp: $(DOCFILE)
    xsltproc --xinclude $(XSLHTMLHELPSTYLE) $<

htmlhelp: $(DOC).chm

$(DOC).chm: htmlhelp.hhp
    -"$(HTMLHELPWORKSHOP_HOME)/hhc" $<
    mv htmlhelp.chm $ <at>

ifeq ($(OS),Windows_NT)
winhelp: $(DOC).chm
else
winhelp:
endif

ifeq ($(OS),Windows_NT)
#all: xhtml html pdf winhelp
all: htmlhelp
#all: winhelp xhtml pdf
else
all: xhtml html pdf
endif

clean:
    rm -f *.pdf *.xhtml *.html *.fo *.hhp *.hhc *.chm



---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: docbook-apps-unsubscribe <at> lists.oasis-open.org
For additional commands, e-mail: docbook-apps-help <at> lists.oasis-open.org


--
Magnus GÄFVERT, PhD
Principal Engineer / Chief Operating Officer

Phone direct: +46 46 286 2204
Email: magnus.gafvert <at> modelon.se

Modelon AB
Ideon Science Park
SE-223 70 Lund, Sweden
Phone: +46 46 286 2200
Fax: +46 46 286 2201
Email: sales <at> modelon.se
Web: http://www.modelon.se

Attachment (magnus_gafvert.vcf): text/x-vcard, 296 bytes
---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: docbook-apps-unsubscribe <at> lists.oasis-open.org
For additional commands, e-mail: docbook-apps-help <at> lists.oasis-open.org
Tony Graham | 2 Dec 10:20 2009

Re: improve DocBook's HTML output

On Tue, Dec 01 2009 20:19:33 +0000, andy.docbook <at> zambezi.org.uk wrote:
> 2009/11/30 Bob Stayton <bobs <at> sagehill.net>:
>> 5.  You can customize the CSS input file beyond the minimal CSS styles that
>> ship with distro.  If so, then put your file with your customization layer
>> and change the 'docbook.css.file' parameter to point to your customized
>> version.  You just need to keep the <style> root element wrapper.
>
> It would be useful to be able to have a customised style sheet that's
> used in addition to the default CSS rather than replacing it. This

The customised style sheet can import the default CSS using CSS's
' <at> import' rule [1].

Regards,

Tony Graham                         Tony.Graham <at> MenteithConsulting.com
Director                                  W3C XSL FO SG Invited Expert
Menteith Consulting Ltd                               XML Guild member
XML, XSL and XSLT consulting, programming and training
Registered Office: 13 Kelly's Bay Beach, Skerries, Co. Dublin, Ireland
Registered in Ireland - No. 428599   http://www.menteithconsulting.com
  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --
xmlroff XSL Formatter                               http://xmlroff.org
xslide Emacs mode                  http://www.menteith.com/wiki/xslide
Unicode: A Primer                               urn:isbn:0-7645-4625-2

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-CSS2/cascade.html#x5
Andy Smith | 2 Dec 13:13 2009
Picon

Re: improve DocBook's HTML output

2009/12/2 Tony Graham <Tony.Graham <at> menteithconsulting.com>:
> On Tue, Dec 01 2009 20:19:33 +0000, andy.docbook <at> zambezi.org.uk wrote:
>> 2009/11/30 Bob Stayton <bobs <at> sagehill.net>:
>>> 5.  You can customize the CSS input file beyond the minimal CSS styles that
>>> ship with distro.  If so, then put your file with your customization layer
>>> and change the 'docbook.css.file' parameter to point to your customized
>>> version.  You just need to keep the <style> root element wrapper.
>>
>> It would be useful to be able to have a customised style sheet that's
>> used in addition to the default CSS rather than replacing it. This
>
> The customised style sheet can import the default CSS using CSS's
> ' <at> import' rule [1].

Only if the default CSS is still output somewhere. If I understand
Bob's proposal correctly, the customised CSS would replace the default
CSS, so you'd have to copy the default CSS to the output directory to
be able to  <at> import it (or you could import it from a remote URL, maybe
a standard location on one of the DocBook websites, but that would
introduce other potential problems).

Andy
Mauritz Jeanson | 2 Dec 22:12 2009

RE: improve DocBook's HTML output

|  -----Original Message-----
|  From: Bob Stayton
|  
|  I have had a long standing goal to modernize the HTML output 
|  from the 
|  DocBook XSL stylesheets. We have too many instances of 
|  hardcoded styles like 
|  <b> and other transgressions of modern HTML practice.

One important point is to ensure that 100% valid and conformant output can
be generated (both HTML and XHTML). Sometimes that is harder than it should
be.

And perhaps someone has an opinion on the claim that the current (X)HTML
output suffers from "div-itis" (excessive use of <div> elements). See
http://backtobase.wordpress.com/2007/06/20/docbook-is-not-making-my-life-eas
ier/.

Mauritz
Keith Fahlgren | 2 Dec 22:31 2009
Picon

Re: improve DocBook's HTML output

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 1:12 PM, Mauritz Jeanson <mj <at> johanneberg.com> wrote:
> |  -----Original Message-----
> |  From: Bob Stayton
> |
> |  I have had a long standing goal to modernize the HTML output
> |  from the
> |  DocBook XSL stylesheets. We have too many instances of
> |  hardcoded styles like
> |  <b> and other transgressions of modern HTML practice.
>
>
> One important point is to ensure that 100% valid and conformant output can
> be generated (both HTML and XHTML). Sometimes that is harder than it should
> be.

I don't think that generating valid HTML needs to be a short-term
goal. My suggestion would be to focus first on clean & valid XHTML
output, then decide how much more work (if any) it would take to
create valid HTML.

> And perhaps someone has an opinion on the claim that the current (X)HTML
> output suffers from "div-itis" (excessive use of <div> elements). See
> http://backtobase.wordpress.com/2007/06/20/docbook-is-not-making-my-life-eas
> ier/.

I don't find this a very concerning opinion at this time.

Keith

Gmane