T.B. Hansen | 1 Oct 11:37 2004
Picon

Re: [Skate] Finally updated.

Marnix:

> But isn't it in spite of growing emancipation still a wellknown problem that
> lots of men can't deal with extremely succesfull partners?

Or the other way around:

A Norwegian survey shows that successful women most often despise men that's
not as successful as themselves...

--------------------

T.B.Hansen

(Happily married to a woman who's more successful then myself.)

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/NYywlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Speed_skating/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    Speed_skating-unsubscribe@...
(Continue reading)

T.B. Hansen | 1 Oct 12:21 2004
Picon

Re: [Skate] Mortensen Flute Sonata at Hamar World Cup Opening

Prof. Hjort:

> I better help sort out this little implicit
> quiz before the list takes off completely
> to vanish for a season in the inner
> non-concentric circles of Finn Mortensen's
> Opus 6 [an intensively difficult piece,
> I've tried]. TBH is actually on track

I have to admit I haven't got a clew about which track I'm on.

Marnix:

> But writing a fascinating piece of music for only 39,2 seconds looks more
> than an inside joke! And what records did he actually use for his
> time-related-compositions?

It's some time since I read that interview. But I think 1,500 m was the
shortest distance used.

Anyway, there's more to connect music and speed skating than Plato's love
for music and numbers and the modernists' love for Plato.

Anyone who still remember the Jefferson Airplane members who found that
circling the Valle-Hovin ice was a greater trip than, you know, that sex &
drugs & rock'n'roll thing. So why not more Jefferson Airplane at Hamar?

--------------------

T.B.Hansen
(Continue reading)

Marnix Koolhaas | 1 Oct 16:38 2004
Picon

Re: [Skate] Finally updated.

so champions have to marry champions - that's the conclusion -
but why don't they in speed-skating?
I can't come up with any championXchampion skating-couple (except for
MuellerxTimmer...)- don't they really exist?

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: T.B. Hansen <speedskating@...>
Aan: NY skøyteliste (Yahoo) <Speed_skating@...>
Datum: vrijdag 1 oktober 2004 11:48
Onderwerp: Re: [Skate] Finally updated.

>Marnix:
>
>> But isn't it in spite of growing emancipation still a wellknown problem
that
>> lots of men can't deal with extremely succesfull partners?
>
>Or the other way around:
>
>A Norwegian survey shows that successful women most often despise men
that's
>not as successful as themselves...
>
>
>--------------------
>
>T.B.Hansen
>
>(Happily married to a woman who's more successful then myself.)
>
(Continue reading)

Irene Postma | 1 Oct 17:08 2004
Picon

Re: [Skate] Finally updated.

I know several national champion marries national champion cases.

Irene, who has a wedding to go to tonight (but still not my own)
-- 
Irene P.
Publisher/Editor Speedskating World

o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o
o.o.o.o.o.o.o.MAY.GOD.BLESS.YOU.o.o.o.o.o.o.o
o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o

Marnix wrote:
so champions have to marry champions - that's the conclusion -
but why don't they in speed-skating?
I can't come up with any championXchampion skating-couple (except for
MuellerxTimmer...)- don't they really exist?

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
$9.95 domain names from Yahoo!. Register anything.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/NYywlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Speed_skating/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    Speed_skating-unsubscribe@...
(Continue reading)

T.B. Hansen | 1 Oct 17:21 2004
Picon

Re: [Skate] Finally updated.

Marnix:

> so champions have to marry champions - that's the conclusion -
> but why don't they in speed-skating?
> I can't come up with any championXchampion skating-couple (except for
> MuellerxTimmer...)- don't they really exist?

Mueller was also married to Poulos.

But "equal success" won't necessarily mean in the same field. In Norway
there's several examples of successful female artists who marries rich
businessmen, powerful civil servants or "culture-bureaucrats". In sports
marrying a famous coach or organizer would be an equivalent - as well as
marrying any rich or famous man.

By the way, the "despise" for less successful men I mentioned didn't
necessarily show in the survey - it was expressed by women interviewed by
the newspaper presenting the survey (and obviously taken for granted by the
reporters).

--------------------

T.B.Hansen

Jens Bjelkes gate 7
N-0562 Oslo, Norway

Tel +47 22 37 21 50
    +47  924 49 575

(Continue reading)

Gerrit Stevens | 1 Oct 17:42 2004
Picon

Re: [Skate] Finally updated.

What about Mueller - Poulos.
Although both Mueller examples were not very successfull.
Another unsucessfull one between champions; Andrea Mitscherling - Andreas Ehrig.

Other couples
Valentina Stenina and Boris Stenin (both WCh allround)
Eddy Verheijen - Rieneke Demming (both won medals at ISU championships)
Jos Valentijn - Haitske Pijlman (idem)

Gerrit Stevens

  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Marnix Koolhaas 
  To: Speed_skating@... 
  Sent: Friday, October 01, 2004 4:38 PM
  Subject: Re: [Skate] Finally updated.

  so champions have to marry champions - that's the conclusion -
  but why don't they in speed-skating?
  I can't come up with any championXchampion skating-couple (except for
  MuellerxTimmer...)- don't they really exist?

  -----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
  Van: T.B. Hansen <speedskating@...>
  Aan: NY skøyteliste (Yahoo) <Speed_skating@...>
  Datum: vrijdag 1 oktober 2004 11:48
  Onderwerp: Re: [Skate] Finally updated.

  >Marnix:
  >
(Continue reading)

lars.finsen | 1 Oct 23:08 2004
Picon

Re: [Skate] Finally updated.


Marnix Koolhaas wrote:
> 
> Yes, I really can - and strange but 1 point behind OM and before Ritsma is
> exactly where he belongs in my feelings. Of course any alltime-calculation
> is just for fun and subjective as any taste, but omitting the professional
> championships seems a bit subsubjective to me. It's not the ISU or Avery
> Brundage's rules to decide who was the best or not, it's the results that
> only count. For sure at least the 1973-pro-championships were of a higher
> level than the ISU-championships. For 1974 it's a bit harder to say, but the
> WISO-EChampions were better than both the ISU-WCh-allrounders in Inzell or
> the ISU-WCh-sprinters in Innsbruck. The best were the best, even if they
> skated for a million on the moon...

I think the 1974 pros were better as well. But if I include the pro
championships, what to do with the amateur ones? I have decided to stick
with the ISU championships. The list isn't perfect anyway. No Axel
Paulsen, no Leila Brooks-Potter, no Morris Wood or Edmund Lamy, no Arvo
Tuomainen or Kristian Strøm, no Jevgenij Letsjford or Ivan Anikanov,
barely a glimpse of Jakov Melnikov and Åke Seyffarth. We should make a
real all-time list as well of course, but there is no mathematical
method to create this list, it must be done with subjective judgment
only. Are you ready? 

> An idea to recalculate world-records: give a fixed amount of points for all
> world records in a season - and devide it by the number of world-records
> skated in a specific season. If you were the only one to skate a WR in a
> season you get 10 points, if 9 others did the same you get only 1 point (but
> exclude the war-years, as some skaters had other things to care for...)

(Continue reading)

Jim White | 1 Oct 17:06 2004

RE: [Skate] Finally updated.


How about KC Boutiette and Jen Rod?  Jen surely is a Champion, if you say
that KC isn't then you are defining Champion so narrowly that few people
fit, and the chances of them finding a partner to share all of life among so
people is very unlikely.

Actually, in the world I know, mostly USA, and worldwide inline, I guess
that most successful (that's the term that started this discussion) skaters
choose successful athletes for personal partners.  Partly that's because
such athletes spend so much time training that they have few friends other
than skaters.  But there is also an outlook on life that competitive
athletes share, and is different than the life outlook of other people.  The
commonality between two successful athletes is often stronger than the
commonality between two people from the same neighborhood, because skating
is a stronger culture than most neighborhood cultures (in USA, at least).

Jim White

-----Original Message-----
From: Marnix Koolhaas [mailto:m.koolhaas@...] 
Sent: Friday, October 01, 2004 9:38 AM
To: Speed_skating@...
Subject: Re: [Skate] Finally updated.

so champions have to marry champions - that's the conclusion -
but why don't they in speed-skating?
I can't come up with any championXchampion skating-couple (except for
MuellerxTimmer...)- don't they really exist?

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
(Continue reading)

Kees de Vroege | 2 Oct 01:01 2004
Picon
Picon

Re: [Skate] Finally updated.


Irene Postma wrote:

> who has a wedding to go to tonight 
> (but still not my own)

Aha! That's because you are a successful woman.

Kees

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/NYywlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Speed_skating/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    Speed_skating-unsubscribe@...

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Steph | 2 Oct 03:10 2004
Picon

Re: [Skate] Finally updated.


You took the words right out of my mouth, Kees.

--- In Speed_skating@..., Kees de Vroege 
<C.F.deVroege <at> I...> wrote:
> Irene Postma wrote:
> 
> > who has a wedding to go to tonight 
> > (but still not my own)
> 
> Aha! That's because you are a successful woman.
> 
> Kees

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
$9.95 domain names from Yahoo!. Register anything.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/NYywlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Speed_skating/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    Speed_skating-unsubscribe@...

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
(Continue reading)


Gmane