Tim Alder | 17 Apr 18:41 2012
Picon

Integration of public transport map into OSM-Gadget

Hello,
I integrated public transport map inside OSM-gadget in Wikipedia.

I decided to use "ÖPNV-Karte" because it looks in my eyes better than 
the public transport map you can found at osm.org.

After talk with the developer of the map the additionally traffic should 
be no problem.

Greetings Kolossos

Daniel Schwen | 17 Apr 20:02 2012
Picon

WikiMiniAtlas updates

I have recently spent quite a large amount of work on the
WikiMiniAtlas map plugin and this has some connection to the OSM
project, so I thought it might be of interest to the list.

* I finished rendering a more detailed basemap, based on OpenStreetMap
data last week. Accurate roads are now displayed at the higher
zoomlevels (starting with highways, then secondary level roads, all
the way down to residential streets and footpaths).
* The WikiMiniAtlas now has a little globe in the bottom right corner
that is always rotated to the current location you are looking at. KML
and WIWOSM overlays are also displayed on the globe. Note that this
feature needs a WebGL-capable browser (degrades gracefully).
* WMA is now resizable
* The WikiMiniAtlas is now active on Moon, Mars, Venus and Mercury
coordinates as well, displaying the labels of the selected globe only
(for example en.wp has >1100 moon coordinates, german wp has over
9000!). I have upgraded my database and scripts so that addition of
further globe types will be easy.
* As mentioned before, KML and WISOSM overlays are displayed and used
for centering and zooming. I went through great trouble to calculate a
_correct_ minimal bounding rectangle.
* WIWOSM data can be used to overlay arbitrary objects for size
comparison (the geometry is reprojected, so you can see for example
how Greenland really compares to the Democratic republic of the Congo
sizewise). (this will soon work for the new planets and the moon as
well, I have to add a correction for the planets radius, but then you
can see how many Rhode Islands would fit into the Gauss crater on the
moon)

Best,
(Continue reading)

Tim Alder | 17 Apr 20:13 2012
Picon

Mapnik and mbtiles

Hello,
has somebody here experiences with mbtiles?
I want to render WIWOSM for to things:
*boring IE support
*to support Wikipedia categories and collection articles in the kind of
Template:GeoGroup/Vorlage:All Coordinates [1] A technical solution seems 
me better before the people begin to tag this in OSM. A vector solution 
for an article like "List of rivers of Germany" will kill each browser.

If I understand it correct in the actual mapbox-presentation[2] it's 
possible to save render time and server space by using redundancy.

Greetings Kolossos

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:GeoGroup
[2] http://mapbox.com/blog/rendering-the-world/

Daniel Schwen | 17 Apr 20:36 2012
Picon

Re: Mapnik and mbtiles

But you are still looking at a ton of tilesets here! How are you
planning to approach that? On-demand rendering? Or do you seriously
want to pre-render for all possible categories or list articles?!

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 12:13 PM, Tim Alder
<tim.alder@...> wrote:
> Hello,
> has somebody here experiences with mbtiles?
> I want to render WIWOSM for to things:
> *boring IE support
> *to support Wikipedia categories and collection articles in the kind of
> Template:GeoGroup/Vorlage:All Coordinates [1] A technical solution seems me
> better before the people begin to tag this in OSM. A vector solution for an
> article like "List of rivers of Germany" will kill each browser.
>
> If I understand it correct in the actual mapbox-presentation[2] it's
> possible to save render time and server space by using redundancy.
>
> Greetings Kolossos
>
>
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:GeoGroup
> [2] http://mapbox.com/blog/rendering-the-world/
>
> _______________________________________________
> Maps-l mailing list
> Maps-l@...
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/maps-l

(Continue reading)

Tim Alder | 17 Apr 21:49 2012
Picon

Re: Mapnik and mbtiles

On the linked mapbox-presentation is a good explanation, all tiles that 
are equal have only one representation on the server. Mapbox seems to 
have found a way to stop the renderer if it's not necessary to go deeper 
in the zoomlevels. For a simple graphic like that of WIWOSM it should be 
possible to reduce the space to 1%. After the first mbtiles we will know 
more....

I understand that we will have >100.000 mbtiles-files on the server but 
this should be no problem to handle. We don't need a daily update for 
IE-user.

An empty 2-color png has a size of only 116 Bytes so network-traffic 
should be also no problem.

Rendering-on-demand sounds a good idea or we render on free resources 
off external computers.

MBtiles sounds also interessting for Wikipedia-maps-workshop 
(German:"Wikipedia:Kartenwerkstatt") so it would be generally nice to 
handle it.

Greetings Kolossos

Am 17.04.2012 20:36, schrieb Daniel Schwen:
> But you are still looking at a ton of tilesets here! How are you
> planning to approach that? On-demand rendering? Or do you seriously
> want to pre-render for all possible categories or list articles?!
>
> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 12:13 PM, Tim Alder
> <tim.alder@...>  wrote:
(Continue reading)

Daniel Schwen | 17 Apr 22:13 2012
Picon

Re: Mapnik and mbtiles

> An empty 2-color png has a size of only 116 Bytes so network-traffic should
> be also no problem.
Once you are below TCP packetsize it doesn't really matter.

Keep in mind that you will have to use a PNG transparency hack to IE
users (also I'd go for a bit more than 2color PNG, since that will
look crappy).

> Rendering-on-demand sounds a good idea or we render on free resources off
> external computers.
Should be totally doable, I'm rendering all high zoomlevels in WMA on
demand (with caching) and the WIOSM layers would be geometrically very
simple.

Eugene Alvin Villar | 18 Apr 13:11 2012
Picon

Re: WikiMiniAtlas updates

Now that WikiMiniAtlas is rendering OSM data, there is now a direct
overlap in functionality between WikiMiniAtlas and Kolossos' map
widget used on WPDE
<http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilfe:OpenStreetMap/en>

I think it would be better if these two maps be consolidated into a
unified map widget that can be deployed to all Wikipedia.

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 3:02 AM, Daniel Schwen <daniel@...> wrote:
> I have recently spent quite a large amount of work on the
> WikiMiniAtlas map plugin and this has some connection to the OSM
> project, so I thought it might be of interest to the list.
>
> * I finished rendering a more detailed basemap, based on OpenStreetMap
> data last week. Accurate roads are now displayed at the higher
> zoomlevels (starting with highways, then secondary level roads, all
> the way down to residential streets and footpaths).
> * The WikiMiniAtlas now has a little globe in the bottom right corner
> that is always rotated to the current location you are looking at. KML
> and WIWOSM overlays are also displayed on the globe. Note that this
> feature needs a WebGL-capable browser (degrades gracefully).
> * WMA is now resizable
> * The WikiMiniAtlas is now active on Moon, Mars, Venus and Mercury
> coordinates as well, displaying the labels of the selected globe only
> (for example en.wp has >1100 moon coordinates, german wp has over
> 9000!). I have upgraded my database and scripts so that addition of
> further globe types will be easy.
> * As mentioned before, KML and WISOSM overlays are displayed and used
> for centering and zooming. I went through great trouble to calculate a
> _correct_ minimal bounding rectangle.
(Continue reading)


Gmane