Fayssal F. | 1 Oct 14:08 2010
Picon

The Ambassadors of Morocco's debut single 'Wikipedia' will be released on 15th November 2010

Hahaha... that's funny :) They are not my meatpuppets!

Fayssal F.

Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 20:09:58 +0530
> From: Anirudh Bhati <anirudhsbh <at> gmail.com>
> Subject: [WikiEN-l] The Ambassadors of Morocco's debut single
>        'Wikipedia' will be released on 15th November 2010
> To: English Wikipedia <wikien-l <at> lists.wikimedia.org>
> Message-ID:
>        <AANLkTik0RkeMBrT4E0sYCa6mWtPFsjBBEHY6Tocx9wDJ <at> mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ46UXZUvL0
>
> (LT: Fayssal F.)
>
> Yours sincerely,
>
> Anirudh Singh Bhati
> B.Com, LL.B. (Hons.), Gujarat National Law University,
> Gandhinagar, India.
>
> Handphone: +919328712208
> Skype: anirudhsbh
>
> If this email were legal advice, it would be followed by a bill.
>
>
> ------------------------------
(Continue reading)

Martijn Hoekstra | 1 Oct 19:54 2010
Picon

Re: The Ambassadors of Morocco's debut single 'Wikipedia' will be released on 15th November 2010

Can we have this in the fundraiser please?

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 2:08 PM, Fayssal F. <szvest <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Hahaha... that's funny :) They are not my meatpuppets!
>
> Fayssal F.
>
> Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 20:09:58 +0530
>> From: Anirudh Bhati <anirudhsbh <at> gmail.com>
>> Subject: [WikiEN-l] The Ambassadors of Morocco's debut single
>>        'Wikipedia' will be released on 15th November 2010
>> To: English Wikipedia <wikien-l <at> lists.wikimedia.org>
>> Message-ID:
>>        <AANLkTik0RkeMBrT4E0sYCa6mWtPFsjBBEHY6Tocx9wDJ <at> mail.gmail.com>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ46UXZUvL0
>>
>> (LT: Fayssal F.)
>>
>> Yours sincerely,
>>
>> Anirudh Singh Bhati
>> B.Com, LL.B. (Hons.), Gujarat National Law University,
>> Gandhinagar, India.
>>
>> Handphone: +919328712208
>> Skype: anirudhsbh
>>
>> If this email were legal advice, it would be followed by a bill.
(Continue reading)

geni | 1 Oct 20:30 2010
Picon

Re: The Ambassadors of Morocco's debut single 'Wikipedia' will be released on 15th November 2010

On 1 October 2010 18:54, Martijn Hoekstra <martijnhoekstra <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Can we have this in the fundraiser please?

The Ambassadors of Morocco appear to be following a fairly
conventional commercial band route. While "RIAD Records" appears to be
a name for them self publishing there is nothing to suggest that they
have any interest in releasing there songs under a free license or the
like.

--

-- 
geni

_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
WikiEN-l <at> lists.wikimedia.org
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l

Martijn Hoekstra | 1 Oct 20:51 2010
Picon

Re: The Ambassadors of Morocco's debut single 'Wikipedia' will be released on 15th November 2010

On the one hand, I agree. On the other, if I had a starting band, the
massive exposure of Wikipedia might be hard to resist. If we would
want them to release their song under a free licence for the
fundraiser, (and that's if. I want them, but that doesn't mean other
people want them) asking them just puts us at risk of them saying
"thanks, but no thanks"

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 8:30 PM, geni <geniice <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1 October 2010 18:54, Martijn Hoekstra <martijnhoekstra <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>> Can we have this in the fundraiser please?
>
> The Ambassadors of Morocco appear to be following a fairly
> conventional commercial band route. While "RIAD Records" appears to be
> a name for them self publishing there is nothing to suggest that they
> have any interest in releasing there songs under a free license or the
> like.
>
>
> --
> geni
>
> _______________________________________________
> WikiEN-l mailing list
> WikiEN-l <at> lists.wikimedia.org
> To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
>

_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
(Continue reading)

Deniz Gultekin | 1 Oct 22:39 2010
Picon

Re: The Ambassadors of Morocco's debut single 'Wikipedia' will be released on 15th November 2010

With the lyrics being:

" Wikipedia, Wikipedia, has twisted my mind inside out and upside down. 
Wikipedia, Wikipedia, ain't work nothing but fun and laughter all 
around. Wikipedia, Wikipedia, I'm losing my way everyday tuned to the 
sound of Wikipedia, Wikipedia."

I don't think it's a very effective song for fundraising, or promoting 
Wikipedia in general.

DG

On 10/1/10 11:51 AM, Martijn Hoekstra wrote:
> On the one hand, I agree. On the other, if I had a starting band, the
> massive exposure of Wikipedia might be hard to resist. If we would
> want them to release their song under a free licence for the
> fundraiser, (and that's if. I want them, but that doesn't mean other
> people want them) asking them just puts us at risk of them saying
> "thanks, but no thanks"
>
> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 8:30 PM, geni<geniice <at> gmail.com>  wrote:
>    
>> On 1 October 2010 18:54, Martijn Hoekstra<martijnhoekstra <at> gmail.com>  wrote:
>>      
>>> Can we have this in the fundraiser please?
>>>        
>> The Ambassadors of Morocco appear to be following a fairly
>> conventional commercial band route. While "RIAD Records" appears to be
>> a name for them self publishing there is nothing to suggest that they
>> have any interest in releasing there songs under a free license or the
(Continue reading)

John Du Hart | 1 Oct 22:51 2010
Picon

Re: The Ambassadors of Morocco's debut single 'Wikipedia' will be released on 15th November 2010

I agree, the song really has nothing to do with Wikipedia itself. They could
of replaced Wikipedia with any internet website name and to me the song
would have the same meaning.
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
WikiEN-l <at> lists.wikimedia.org
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l

David Gerard | 1 Oct 22:51 2010
Picon

Re: The Ambassadors of Morocco's debut single 'Wikipedia' will be released on 15th November 2010

On 1 October 2010 21:39, Deniz Gultekin <dgultekin <at> wikimedia.org> wrote:

> " Wikipedia, Wikipedia, has twisted my mind inside out and upside down.
> Wikipedia, Wikipedia, ain't work nothing but fun and laughter all
> around. Wikipedia, Wikipedia, I'm losing my way everyday tuned to the
> sound of Wikipedia, Wikipedia."
> I don't think it's a very effective song for fundraising, or promoting
> Wikipedia in general.

Obviously we need our own.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Songs_about_Wikipedia

Or there's this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFxWhzJWJ4U

- d.

_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
WikiEN-l <at> lists.wikimedia.org
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l

Samuel Klein | 1 Oct 23:42 2010
Picon

Ten Simple Rules for Editing Wikipedia

Forwarding from foundation-l.

David - thanks for the heads-up; this essay is brilliant, and not just
about biology.
Here's a shorter link:  http://j.mp/ten-wiki-rules

Magnus - I see your hand in this :-)   I'd love to see the edit
history...  Have you or your co-authors also published this on one of
the major wikis?

SJ

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Gerard <dgerard <at> gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 4:43 PM
Subject: Re: [Foundation-l] Has Wikipedia changed since 2005?
To: Wikimedia Foundation Mailing List <foundation-l <at> lists.wikimedia.org>

On 28 September 2010 12:38, David Gerard <dgerard <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> Why are there any experts on Wikipedia?

I predict Wikipedia's biology articles will far outshine its
philosophy articles for the simple fact that the biologists bother:

http://www.ploscompbiol.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pcbi.1000941

(That article is great, by the way. It gives strong reasons for
experts to put in the effort to bother.)

(Continue reading)

David Gerard | 2 Oct 00:12 2010
Picon

I predict our biology articles are about to become superlative

http://www.ploscompbiol.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pcbi.1000941

These guys paid author's fees to get an article published in a
peer-reviewed specialist journal that will net them no useful citation
credits, just to make the Wikipedia articles on their science better.
:-O

This article is fantastic. It even gives strong reasons for experts to
bother doing this.

Is there an academic field this article doesn't apply to?

- d.

_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
WikiEN-l <at> lists.wikimedia.org
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l

Risker | 2 Oct 00:50 2010
Picon

Re: The Ambassadors of Morocco's debut single 'Wikipedia' will be released on 15th November 2010

"Well, Dick, it's got a good beat and you can dance to it..."

Maybe not fundraiser material, but it made me smile. :-)

Risker/Anne

On 1 October 2010 13:54, Martijn Hoekstra <martijnhoekstra <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> Can we have this in the fundraiser please?
>
> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 2:08 PM, Fayssal F. <szvest <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hahaha... that's funny :) They are not my meatpuppets!
> >
> > Fayssal F.
> >
> > Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 20:09:58 +0530
> >> From: Anirudh Bhati <anirudhsbh <at> gmail.com>
> >> Subject: [WikiEN-l] The Ambassadors of Morocco's debut single
> >>        'Wikipedia' will be released on 15th November 2010
> >> To: English Wikipedia <wikien-l <at> lists.wikimedia.org>
> >> Message-ID:
> >>        <AANLkTik0RkeMBrT4E0sYCa6mWtPFsjBBEHY6Tocx9wDJ <at> mail.gmail.com>
> >> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
> >>
> >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ46UXZUvL0
> >>
> >> (LT: Fayssal F.)
> >>
> >> Yours sincerely,
> >>
(Continue reading)


Gmane