Louis Proyect | 1 May 19:48 2011
Picon

Exit Through the Gift Shop; Cinema Verite

I have finally gotten around to seeing “Exit Through the Gift Shop”, 
which received New York Film Critics Online award for best documentary 
of 2010. Some critics see it as a mockumentary in the style of 
“Catfish”. The movie has been described as a satire on art world 
trendiness, one of my favorite topics. Since it also addresses the 
question of “truth and fiction” in documentary film—the chief obsession 
of Jane Gaines, the self-described Marxist film professor whose class on 
documentary film I dropped like a hot potato after finally realizing 
where she was going—I felt I owed it to myself to have a gander.

After weighing in on this highly regarded film that has a 98 percent 
Fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes, I will say a few words about “Cinema 
Verite”, the HBO fictional treatment of the making of “An American 
Family”, the 1973 PBS documentary about the Louds of Santa Barbara. If 
cinéma vérité implies a detached fly-on-the-wall approach to its subject 
matter, then “An American Family” was anything but. As is the case with 
“Exit Through the Gift Shop”, you are dealing very much with a staged 
reality, even if director Banksy would never admit it as such.

full: 
http://louisproyect.wordpress.com/2011/05/01/exit-through-the-gift-shop-cinema-verite/
_______________________________________________
pen-l mailing list
pen-l@...
https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l

Mike Ballard | 2 May 02:12 2011
Picon

Happy May Day, 2011!

May Day greetings from the Wobblies:

May we all get up from our procrustean beds and toss off our 'invisible handcuffs'!

Mike B)

***********************************************************************
Wobbly Times
http://wobblytimes.blogspot.com/
_______________________________________________
pen-l mailing list
pen-l@...
https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l
Sandwichman | 2 May 04:47 2011
Picon

Re: Happy May Day, 2011!

Hooray! Hooray! the first of May!
Outdoor fucking begins today!!!

On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 5:12 PM, Mike Ballard <swillsqueal <at> yahoo.com.au> wrote:
May Day greetings from the Wobblies:

May we all get up from our procrustean beds and toss off our 'invisible handcuffs'!

Mike B)

***********************************************************************
Wobbly Times
http://wobblytimes.blogspot.com/

_______________________________________________
pen-l mailing list
pen-l-FPEHb7Xf0XWG9Rqvk1bdOTe48wsgrGvP@public.gmane.org
https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l




--
Sandwichman
_______________________________________________
pen-l mailing list
pen-l@...
https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l
ken hanly | 2 May 05:04 2011
Picon

Re: Happy May Day, 2011!


 
  In the fucking snow with the roads closed?

Everyone to their own thing I guess... Happy Hay Market Day...ken


From: Sandwichman <lumpoflabor-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
To: Progressive Economics <pen-l-FPEHb7Xf0XWG9Rqvk1bdOTe48wsgrGvP@public.gmane.org>
Sent: Sun, May 1, 2011 9:47:23 PM
Subject: Re: [Pen-l] Happy May Day, 2011!

Hooray! Hooray! the first of May!
Outdoor fucking begins today!!!

On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 5:12 PM, Mike Ballard <swillsqueal-/E1597aS9LT0CCvOHzKKcA@public.gmane.org> wrote:
May Day greetings from the Wobblies:

May we all get up from our procrustean beds and toss off our 'invisible handcuffs'!

Mike B)

***********************************************************************
Wobbly Times
http://wobblytimes.blogspot.com/

_______________________________________________
pen-l mailing list
pen-l-FPEHb7Xf0XWG9Rqvk1bdOTe48wsgrGvP@public.gmane.org
https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l




--
Sandwichman
_______________________________________________
pen-l mailing list
pen-l@...
https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l
Robert Naiman | 2 May 18:33 2011

The War Is Over. Kiss a Nurse and Start Packing

No doubt there will be a window of relief now, in which many will be
willing to give the U.S. the benefit of some doubt about its future
plans. But if the war continues as it has, public opinion will soon
ask, "We got our man. Why are we still there?"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-naiman/afghanistan-war-end_b_856322.html

--
Robert Naiman
Policy Director
Just Foreign Policy
www.justforeignpolicy.org
naiman@...
_______________________________________________
pen-l mailing list
pen-l@...
https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l

Jim Devine | 2 May 19:06 2011
Picon

he won't be missed, but...

Bin Laden’s Crimes, and Ours

By Matthew Rothschild [editor, the PROGRESSIVE magazine, May 2, 2011

I always rejoice at the death of a mass murderer, and Osama bin Laden
was definitely a mass murderer. He killed 3,000 people here on 9/11,
and he killed more than 300 in August 1998 in the bombings of the U.S.
embassies in Kenya and Tanzania.

So I understand the sense of relief or closure or even triumph that
many Americans feel today.

But it’s worth grappling with precisely what it is that bin Laden did,
and why it is that Americans are chanting “USA, USA” today.

What bin Laden did was to use violence as a ready tool to advance his purposes.

What bin Laden did was to wantonly sacrifice the lives of innocent
people in service of those purposes.

In this regard, bin Laden is no different a mass murderer than William
McKinley was in the Philippines.

In this regard, bin Laden is no different a mass murderer than Harry
Truman was when he dropped the atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

In this regard, bin Laden is no different a mass murderer than Ronald
Reagan was when he funded and trained the contras against Nicaragua or
backed the Salvadoran military against the rebels there.

In this regard, bin Laden is no different a mass murderer than Lyndon
Johnson was in Vietnam.

In this regard, bin Laden is no different a mass murderer than George
W. Bush was in Iraq.

Oh, there is one big difference: bin Laden killed far fewer innocent
people than any of those U.S. Presidents.

So, when you examine the righteous triumphalism than many Americans
are feeling today, it comes down to this: We’re not against using
violence as a ready tool to serve our purposes; we’re not against
wantonly sacrificing innocent lives; we’re not even against mass
murder.

We’re only against it when violence is used against us.

We’re only against it when ours are the innocent lives being sacrificed.

We’re only against it when we’re not the ones committing the mass
murder but are the victims of the mass murder.

This understanding puts a creepy edge on the rah-rahs of today.

Until we renounce violence as a convenient tool, until we stop
sacrificing innocent lives, until we no longer excuse the mass murder
that our own government commits, we’re not in much of a position to
celebrate.

And spare me Obama’s talk of “justice” being done. That’s exactly the
same phrase Bush used after U.S. forces gunned down Saddam Hussein’s
sadistic sons, Uday and Qusay.

It’s not “justice,” as we’ve come to revere it in this country: a
system that upholds due process and habeas corpus and assumes the
innocence of the accused and allows for trial by jury.

No, what Obama and Bush were talking about was rough justice or
frontier justice.

The word “justice” should not adorn an assassination.
--

-- 
Jim Devine / "Segui il tuo corso, e lascia dir le genti." (Go your own
way and let people talk.) -- Karl, paraphrasing Dante.
_______________________________________________
pen-l mailing list
pen-l@...
https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l

martin harwayne | 2 May 21:13 2011
Picon

Re: pen-l Digest, Vol 1163, Issue 1

     wasn't there an international agreement not to assasinate heads of state?

On 5/2/11, pen-l-request@...
<pen-l-request@...> wrote:
> Send pen-l mailing list submissions to
> 	pen-l@...
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> 	https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> 	pen-l-request@...
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> 	pen-l-owner@...
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of pen-l digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Happy May Day, 2011! (Mike Ballard)
>    2. Re: Happy May Day, 2011! (Sandwichman)
>    3. Re: Happy May Day, 2011! (ken hanly)
>    4. The War Is Over. Kiss a Nurse and Start Packing (Robert Naiman)
>    5. he won't be missed, but... (Jim Devine)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 1 May 2011 17:12:49 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Mike Ballard <swillsqueal@...>
> Subject: [Pen-l] Happy May Day, 2011!
> To: pen-l@...
> Message-ID: <739138.35413.qm@...>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> May Day greetings from the
> Wobblies:http://www.scribd.com/doc/54283067/Industrial-Worker-Issue-1735-May-2011
> May we all get up from our procrustean beds and toss off our 'invisible
> handcuffs'!
> Mike B)
>
> ***********************************************************************
>
> Wobbly Times
>
> http://wobblytimes.blogspot.com/
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:
> https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/private/pen-l/attachments/20110501/e52b5258/attachment-0001.html
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Sun, 1 May 2011 19:47:23 -0700
> From: Sandwichman <lumpoflabor@...>
> Subject: Re: [Pen-l] Happy May Day, 2011!
> To: Progressive Economics <pen-l@...>
> Message-ID: <BANLkTikpY1gcOaDHSXG3Sop0_roWD_nAUA@...>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> Hooray! Hooray! the first of May!
> Outdoor fucking begins today!!!
>
> On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 5:12 PM, Mike Ballard
> <swillsqueal@...>wrote:
>
>> May Day greetings from the Wobblies:
>> http://www.scribd.com/doc/54283067/Industrial-Worker-Issue-1735-May-2011
>>
>> <http://www.scribd.com/doc/54283067/Industrial-Worker-Issue-1735-May-2011>May
>> we all get up from our procrustean beds and toss off our 'invisible
>> handcuffs'!
>>
>> Mike B)
>>
>> ***********************************************************************
>> Wobbly Times
>> http://wobblytimes.blogspot.com/
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> pen-l mailing list
>> pen-l@...
>> https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l
>>
>>
>
>
> --
> Sandwichman
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:
> https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/private/pen-l/attachments/20110501/cce9c058/attachment-0001.html
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Sun, 1 May 2011 20:04:57 -0700 (PDT)
> From: ken hanly <northsunm@...>
> Subject: Re: [Pen-l] Happy May Day, 2011!
> To: Progressive Economics <pen-l@...>
> Message-ID: <150431.31267.qm@...>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
>
>    In the fucking snow with the roads closed?
>
> Everyone to their own thing I guess... Happy Hay Market Day...ken
>
>
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: Sandwichman <lumpoflabor@...>
> To: Progressive Economics <pen-l@...>
> Sent: Sun, May 1, 2011 9:47:23 PM
> Subject: Re: [Pen-l] Happy May Day, 2011!
>
> Hooray! Hooray! the first of May!
> Outdoor fucking begins today!!!
>
>
> On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 5:12 PM, Mike Ballard <swillsqueal@...>
> wrote:
>
> May Day greetings from the Wobblies:
>>http://www.scribd.com/doc/54283067/Industrial-Worker-Issue-1735-May-2011
>>
>>
>>May we all get up from our procrustean beds and toss off our 'invisible
>>handcuffs'!
>>
>>
>>Mike B)
>>
>>***********************************************************************
>>Wobbly Times
>>http://wobblytimes.blogspot.com/
>>_______________________________________________
>>pen-l mailing list
>>pen-l@...
>>https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l
>>
>>
>
>
> --
> Sandwichman
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:
> https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/private/pen-l/attachments/20110501/5a2061b7/attachment-0001.html
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 11:33:40 -0500
> From: Robert Naiman <naiman@...>
> Subject: [Pen-l] The War Is Over. Kiss a Nurse and Start Packing
> To: Progressive Economics <pen-l@...>
> Message-ID: <BANLkTim-7ngc=wZoqv7mDmDOp8bM3NW-Yg@...>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> No doubt there will be a window of relief now, in which many will be
> willing to give the U.S. the benefit of some doubt about its future
> plans. But if the war continues as it has, public opinion will soon
> ask, "We got our man. Why are we still there?"
>
> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-naiman/afghanistan-war-end_b_856322.html
>
> --
> Robert Naiman
> Policy Director
> Just Foreign Policy
> www.justforeignpolicy.org
> naiman@...
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 10:06:21 -0700
> From: Jim Devine <jdevine03@...>
> Subject: [Pen-l] he won't be missed, but...
> To: Pen-l <pen-l@...>
> Message-ID: <BANLkTi=xxgZKpL5Rn3bnbV32UNr6E-5yHQ@...>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=windows-1252
>
> Bin Laden?s Crimes, and Ours
>
> By Matthew Rothschild [editor, the PROGRESSIVE magazine, May 2, 2011
>
> I always rejoice at the death of a mass murderer, and Osama bin Laden
> was definitely a mass murderer. He killed 3,000 people here on 9/11,
> and he killed more than 300 in August 1998 in the bombings of the U.S.
> embassies in Kenya and Tanzania.
>
> So I understand the sense of relief or closure or even triumph that
> many Americans feel today.
>
> But it?s worth grappling with precisely what it is that bin Laden did,
> and why it is that Americans are chanting ?USA, USA? today.
>
> What bin Laden did was to use violence as a ready tool to advance his
> purposes.
>
> What bin Laden did was to wantonly sacrifice the lives of innocent
> people in service of those purposes.
>
> In this regard, bin Laden is no different a mass murderer than William
> McKinley was in the Philippines.
>
> In this regard, bin Laden is no different a mass murderer than Harry
> Truman was when he dropped the atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
>
> In this regard, bin Laden is no different a mass murderer than Ronald
> Reagan was when he funded and trained the contras against Nicaragua or
> backed the Salvadoran military against the rebels there.
>
> In this regard, bin Laden is no different a mass murderer than Lyndon
> Johnson was in Vietnam.
>
> In this regard, bin Laden is no different a mass murderer than George
> W. Bush was in Iraq.
>
> Oh, there is one big difference: bin Laden killed far fewer innocent
> people than any of those U.S. Presidents.
>
> So, when you examine the righteous triumphalism than many Americans
> are feeling today, it comes down to this: We?re not against using
> violence as a ready tool to serve our purposes; we?re not against
> wantonly sacrificing innocent lives; we?re not even against mass
> murder.
>
> We?re only against it when violence is used against us.
>
> We?re only against it when ours are the innocent lives being sacrificed.
>
> We?re only against it when we?re not the ones committing the mass
> murder but are the victims of the mass murder.
>
> This understanding puts a creepy edge on the rah-rahs of today.
>
> Until we renounce violence as a convenient tool, until we stop
> sacrificing innocent lives, until we no longer excuse the mass murder
> that our own government commits, we?re not in much of a position to
> celebrate.
>
> And spare me Obama?s talk of ?justice? being done. That?s exactly the
> same phrase Bush used after U.S. forces gunned down Saddam Hussein?s
> sadistic sons, Uday and Qusay.
>
> It?s not ?justice,? as we?ve come to revere it in this country: a
> system that upholds due process and habeas corpus and assumes the
> innocence of the accused and allows for trial by jury.
>
> No, what Obama and Bush were talking about was rough justice or
> frontier justice.
>
> The word ?justice? should not adorn an assassination.
> --
> Jim Devine?/ "Segui il tuo corso, e lascia dir le genti." (Go your own
> way and let people talk.) -- Karl, paraphrasing Dante.
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> pen-l mailing list
> pen-l@...
> https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l
>
>
> End of pen-l Digest, Vol 1163, Issue 1
> **************************************
>

--

-- 
love and peace to all
        marty
_______________________________________________
pen-l mailing list
pen-l@...
https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l

Carrol Cox | 2 May 22:03 2011

Re: Happy May Day, 2011!


There's an old poem entitled "The Whore on the Snow Crust" (A New England Broadside in Defense of Bundling). So maybe?

Carrol

On 5/1/2011 10:04 PM, ken hanly wrote:
In the fucking snow with the roads closed? Everyone to their own thing I guess... Happy Hay Market Day...ken ________________________________ From: Sandwichman <lumpoflabor-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> To: Progressive Economics <pen-l-FPEHb7Xf0XWG9Rqvk1bdOTe48wsgrGvP@public.gmane.org> Sent: Sun, May 1, 2011 9:47:23 PM Subject: Re: [Pen-l] Happy May Day, 2011! Hooray! Hooray! the first of May! Outdoor fucking begins today!!! On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 5:12 PM, Mike Ballard <swillsqueal-/E1597aS9LT0CCvOHzKKcA@public.gmane.org> wrote: May Day greetings from the Wobblies:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/54283067/Industrial-Worker-Issue-1735-May-2011 May we all get up from our procrustean beds and toss off our 'invisible handcuffs'! Mike B) *********************************************************************** Wobbly Times http://wobblytimes.blogspot.com/ _______________________________________________ pen-l mailing list pen-l-FPEHb7Xf0XWG9Rqvk1bdOTe48wsgrGvP@public.gmane.org https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l
_______________________________________________ pen-l mailing list pen-l-FPEHb7Xf0XWG9Rqvk1bdOTe48wsgrGvP@public.gmane.org https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l

_______________________________________________
pen-l mailing list
pen-l@...
https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l
Gar Lipow | 3 May 00:11 2011
Picon

Jon Schwarz give credit where credit is due

http://www.tinyrevolution.com/mt/archives/003503.html

Credit Where Credit's Due
Lots of Americans were mad it took ten years for the government to
kill bin Laden, but I think it was worth being extra careful to make
sure no one else got hurt.

—Jonathan Schwarz

http://www.tinyrevolution.com/mt/archives/003503.html

--

-- 
Facebook: Gar Lipow  Twitter: GarLipow
Grist Blog: http://www.grist.org/member/1598
Static page: http://www.nohairshirts.com
_______________________________________________
pen-l mailing list
pen-l@...
https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l

michael perelman | 3 May 02:12 2011
Picon

Questions about Osama Bin Laden

Does the coverage of his death make you long for the good old days of
the Royal Wedding?

How much credence can we give the story of his capture?  Was Jessica
Lynch really involved?

--

-- 
Michael Perelman
Economics Department
California State University
Chico, CA
95929

530 898 5321
fax 530 898 5901
http://michaelperelman.wordpress.com
_______________________________________________
pen-l mailing list
pen-l@...
https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/pen-l


Gmane