Derek Boles | 1 Feb 03:31 2010

VIA's Printed Timetable

A few days ago, I picked up a copy of VIA's new printed timetable. Even though it's dated December 1, it wasn't
available for most of December. The cover shows two delighted looking female models (one white; the other
of indeterminate ethnic origin; this is Toronto after all) wheeling their luggage through the Great Hall
at Union Station. At the Travellers Aid counter sits someone who's face has been blurred. I guess he didn't
sign a model release or he wasn't pretty enough. Anyway, the departures board above is totally blanked out
except for a notice reading "NO SERVICE AVAILABLE VIA BRANTFORD LONDON.

Hardly seems to be the sort of thing that VIA would want to feature so prominently. But it does show the
disconnect between the people that prepare this material and the actual operations.

Derek Boles 

------------------------------------

For help, send an email to
Canadian-Passenger-Rail-help@...! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Canadian-Passenger-Rail/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Canadian-Passenger-Rail/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    Canadian-Passenger-Rail-digest@... 
    Canadian-Passenger-Rail-fullfeatured@...
(Continue reading)

Will | 1 Feb 05:23 2010

FREE: 35% off Silver & Blue Coupon

I'm offering my Via Preference coupon for 35% off Silver and Blue for free to the list. Coupon is valid on
discounted fares but not Express Deals. Fine print says its fully transferable so shouldn't be a problem
for someone else to use it. Travel must be completed by April 30th, and its good for either one way or round
trip travel. If you want it please have some firm travel plans; I'm giving it away so it doesn't go to waste.
Preference will be given to contributing list members. Email off list if your interested.

Will  

------------------------------------

For help, send an email to
Canadian-Passenger-Rail-help@...! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Canadian-Passenger-Rail/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Canadian-Passenger-Rail/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    Canadian-Passenger-Rail-digest@... 
    Canadian-Passenger-Rail-fullfeatured@...

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    Canadian-Passenger-Rail-unsubscribe@...

(Continue reading)

Mark Perry | 1 Feb 11:09 2010
Picon

Re: Southbound passenger trains at Portage Jct. in Winnipeg - August 1967

I was in Winnipeg for the weekend with the Dauphin Kings Junior hockey team and I made it down to the Millineum
Library downtown and searched through the micro-film archives and checked out 1967 editions of both the
Winnipeg Free Press and the Winnipeg Tribune newspapers.

In the August 23rd 1967 edition of the Free Press there is a large story about how 10,000+ Shriners decended
on the city of Winnipeg during the weekend of Aug 25-27th.  In fact so many Shriners came to the city, that
virtually every hotel in the city was booked.  So to solve the room shortage problem, in-bound CN/GN/NP
trains were parked in CN's Fort Rouge Yard and 1,109 Shriners stayed there in the various cars and sleepers
and another 740 were put up in SOO/CPR trains, stored over in the CPR yards.

Now we know....

MAP

------------------------------------

For help, send an email to
Canadian-Passenger-Rail-help@...! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Canadian-Passenger-Rail/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Canadian-Passenger-Rail/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
(Continue reading)

Peter D.A. Warwick | 1 Feb 14:24 2010
Picon

Re: VIA's Printed Timetable

I picked up my copy of the December timetable around the time it was issued. The timetable also doesn't show
the times for the Churchill service. I have something to say about that in my next news item for Trains,
which I believe is coming out in March.
 
Peter D. A.  Warwick

      __________________________________________________________________
Looking for the perfect gift? Give the gift of Flickr! 

http://www.flickr.com/gift/

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

For help, send an email to
Canadian-Passenger-Rail-help@...o! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Canadian-Passenger-Rail/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Canadian-Passenger-Rail/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    Canadian-Passenger-Rail-digest@... 
(Continue reading)

thomasblampied | 1 Feb 14:32 2010
Picon

Re: VIA's Printed Timetable

Very funny (or is it sad?)!  I picked up a timetable in early January, but I had to ask the ticket staff to search
around for one - they had trouble finding them too.

Thomas Blampied
Whitby
http://thomasblampied.fotopic.net/

--- In Canadian-Passenger-Rail@..., Derek Boles
<derekboles <at> ...> wrote:
>
> A few days ago, I picked up a copy of VIA's new printed timetable. Even though it's dated December 1, it
wasn't available for most of December. The cover shows two delighted looking female models (one white;
the other of indeterminate ethnic origin; this is Toronto after all) wheeling their luggage through the
Great Hall at Union Station. At the Travellers Aid counter sits someone who's face has been blurred. I
guess he didn't sign a model release or he wasn't pretty enough. Anyway, the departures board above is
totally blanked out except for a notice reading "NO SERVICE AVAILABLE VIA BRANTFORD LONDON.
> 
> Hardly seems to be the sort of thing that VIA would want to feature so prominently. But it does show the
disconnect between the people that prepare this material and the actual operations.
> 
> Derek Boles
>

------------------------------------

For help, send an email to
Canadian-Passenger-Rail-help@...! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Canadian-Passenger-Rail/
(Continue reading)

Christian Base | 1 Feb 15:32 2010
Picon

Re: Re: Southbound passenger trains at Portage Jct. in Winnipeg - August 1967

Thanks Mark for going out of your way and doing that little bit of
research!  All of us interested in this thread owe you a little gratitude.
Someone also needs to eat crow.

Thanks,
Christian.
|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|
Christian Base

"When a train pulls into a great city I am reminded of the closing moments
of an overture." - Graham Greene

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 05:09, Mark Perry <maperry@...> wrote:

> I was in Winnipeg for the weekend with the Dauphin Kings Junior hockey team
> and I made it down to the Millineum Library downtown and searched through
> the micro-film archives and checked out 1967 editions of both the Winnipeg
> Free Press and the Winnipeg Tribune newspapers.
>
> In the August 23rd 1967 edition of the Free Press there is a large story
> about how 10,000+ Shriners decended on the city of Winnipeg during the
> weekend of Aug 25-27th.  In fact so many Shriners came to the city, that
> virtually every hotel in the city was booked.  So to solve the room shortage
> problem, in-bound CN/GN/NP trains were parked in CN's Fort Rouge Yard and
> 1,109 Shriners stayed there in the various cars and sleepers and another 740
> were put up in SOO/CPR trains, stored over in the CPR yards.
>
> Now we know....
>
>
(Continue reading)

Derek Boles | 1 Feb 16:24 2010

Re: Southbound passenger trains at Portage Jct. in Winnipeg - August

That's an interesting piece of detective work Mark, given the speculation that's been ongoing here for
some time.

The same thing happened here in Toronto in June 1930. One of the largest conventions ever held in Toronto up
until that time taxed the city's available hotel space as 10,000 Shriners arrived for their annual
convention. Both Canadian National and Canadian Pacific built special temporary railway yards that
held hundreds of sleeping cars arriving from all over North America and were used for lodging the Shriners
while they were in the city. CP's yard, located at Bathurst and Fleet Streets was known as "Fez City" and
could hold 350 cars. CN's "Temple Park City" held 300 cars and took over the coach yards at the foot of
Spadina Ave. CN moved their regular coach yard activities to Mimico for the week.

With a capacity of 650 cars, this was the largest gathering of sleepers in Canadian history, utilizing
twice as many sleeping cars for this single event that are now in service throughout North America.

According to Raymond Kennedy, CP railroaders continued to refer to the yard as Fez City right up until the
tracks were taken up a few years ago.

Derek Boles 

On 2010-02-01, at 7:31 AM, Canadian-Passenger-Rail@... wrote:

> 3a.
> Re: Southbound passenger trains at Portage Jct. in Winnipeg - August
> Posted by: "Mark Perry" maperry@...   cn854
> Mon Feb 1, 2010 2:11 am (PST)
> 
> I was in Winnipeg for the weekend with the Dauphin Kings Junior hockey team and I made it down to the
Millineum Library downtown and searched through the micro-film archives and checked out 1967 editions
of both the Winnipeg Free Press and the Winnipeg Tribune newspapers.
> 
(Continue reading)

Steve Boyko | 1 Feb 22:14 2010

OS: VIA 1 leaving Winnipeg 2010/02/01

The first Canadian of February* left Winnipeg about 10 minutes late.

VIA 6418

VIA 6404

VIA 8605

VIA 8117

VIA 8502

VIA 8414 Palliser

VIA 8326 Franklin Manor

VIA 8338 Rogers Manor

VIA 8336 Monck Manor

VIA 8219 Chateau Montcalm

VIA 8710 Prince Albert Park

* Yes I know this train left Toronto in January.

Photos.

http://www.theboykos.com/gallery2/v/via/6418-winnipeg-20100201.jpg.html

(Continue reading)

boxthom | 1 Feb 22:27 2010
Picon

Re: VIA's Printed Timetable


Derek Boles wrote:
> A few days ago, I picked up a copy of VIA's new printed
> timetable.  Even though it's dated December 1, it wasn't
> available for most of December.

Thomas Blampied wrote:
> I picked up a timetable in early January, but I had to ask
> the ticket staff to search around for one - they had trouble
> finding them too.

I had no trouble getting one at the Cobourg VIA station on
November 29.

Peter Warwick wrote:
> The timetable also doesn't show the times for the Churchill
> service.

This is perhaps excusable, since there was uncertainty about
this schedule, and there was in fact a last-minute change to
VIA's plans for trains on this route, as indicated in

<URL:http://tinyurl.com/ycxvkgy> or
<http://www.viarail.ca/en/about-via-rail/media-room/latest-news/1439/11_december_2009_via_s_northern_manitoba_services>.

The timetable is available at

<URL:http://tinyurl.com/yhqk5dv> or
<http://www.viarail.ca/sites/all/files/media/pdfs/schedules/prairies/Winnipeg-ThePas-Churchill.pdf>

(Continue reading)

Lyman | 1 Feb 23:06 2010
Picon

Re: VIA's Printed Timetable

--- In Canadian-Passenger-Rail@..., "boxthom" <tbox <at> ...> wrote:
>
> Peter Warwick wrote:
> > The timetable also doesn't show the times for the Churchill
> > service.
> 
> This is perhaps excusable, since there was uncertainty about
> this schedule, and there was in fact a last-minute change to
> VIA's plans for trains on this route, as indicated in
> 
It should not be difficult to include a paper insert in each timetable showing the correct Churchill
schedule.  All you need is a photocopier.  Nothing fancy is required.

Lyman Holmes

------------------------------------

For help, send an email to
Canadian-Passenger-Rail-help@...! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Canadian-Passenger-Rail/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Canadian-Passenger-Rail/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

(Continue reading)


Gmane