Bruce Napier | 1 Apr 09:14 2009
Picon

Re: New Hope for Forgotten Canal?


On 31 Mar 2009, at 23:50, Steve Wood wrote:

> Martin Clark wrote:
>> Canal enthusiasts and historians hope that a long lost branch of the
>> Leeds and Liverpool Canal could once again see the light of day.
>
> Interesting project. Is the group secretary mentioned on that page the
> same Orla Lipof who was connected with the proposed SSSI  
> designation of
> lock gates on the GU a few years ago?

Ho
––
All the best

Bruce

"The superior man knows what is right, the inferior man knows what  
will sell"  Analects of Confucius, circa 500 BCE

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

Adrian Stott | 1 Apr 10:10 2009
Picon

Lock sizes (was: Upper Avon)

"Neil Arlidge"
<news1@...> wrote:

>Adrian Stott wrote:

>> some of the locks on the Great Ouse are not that wide (the
>> narrowest is just over 3.1 m).  Although EA has promised always to
>> achieve at least 4.3 m when it rebuilds any of its locks.
>>
>> Adrian
>
>Which is a lot of good when they only half rebuild a lock, like at St Neots.

The deal is that any lock rebuilding work EA does where the scope of
the work is such that the dimensions of the lock could reasonably be
altered will done so that the affected dimensions are at least large
enough to accept craft with dimensions of 22 m (length) and 4.3 m
(beam).

At St Neots, only the chamber size (width) was being altered (to allow
more boats to be handled per locking).  The entrances/gates were not.
So the altered chamber is now >= 4.3 m wide (IIRC).  Of course, a
vessel that wide won't be able to enter or leave the lock until the
entrances are widened.  Frustrating in this instance, perhaps, but a
logical step in the right direction.  And a *lot* better than when
that risibly small lock was built on the Little Ouse, which is what
led to the current policy.

Adrian
.
(Continue reading)

Adrian Stott | 1 Apr 10:13 2009
Picon

Re: New Hope for Forgotten Canal?

Bruce Napier <bruce@...> wrote:

>"The superior man knows what is right, the inferior man knows what  
>will sell"  Analects of Confucius, circa 500 BCE

The man from the ministry knows what is in the rule book.

Adrian
.

Adrian Stott
07956-299966

------------------------------------

Steve Heaven | 1 Apr 10:37 2009
Picon

Company to buy Cotswold canals


>From BBC website:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/gloucestershire/7975936.stm

Quote: "Once restored, the company will take on responsibility for their
operational management, maintenance"

 Does that mean that BW will not be managing the canals after
restoration ?

Steve

--

-- 
Follow our waterways wanderings on
www.justheaven.org.uk

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

editor | 1 Apr 11:44 2009
Picon
Picon

Re: Company to buy Cotswold canals

steve@... wrote:
> 
> >From BBC website:
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/gloucestershire/7975936.stm
> Quote: "Once restored, the company will take on responsibility for their
> operational management, maintenance"
>  Does that mean that BW will not be managing the canals after
> restoration ?

Not necessarily. BW may or may not be involved in future maintenance of the canals. If I remember rightly,
the main reason for setting up the new company to take on ownership (or lease) of the land during
restoration is that as a charity, it can claim relief from stamp duty.

Martin

------------------------------------

Michael Askin | 1 Apr 12:24 2009
Picon

Re: Harnser Trip Report

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 11:00 AM, BARRY HOLLAND
<barryhollanduk@...> wrote:
> Many's the time I've longingly looked over the canal bridge  <at>  3 Bridges in Southall, hoping to see a train.
I've *never* been successful, although I've sometimes heard one!Does anyone have a timetable for the
appearance of these rarities?BarryNb emptyrailsasfarastheeyecansee

That line is a dead end to a factory estate - though I think it might
still get the occasional train. I was actually talking about the
railway bridge across the end of the Brentford Basin, which takes
trains to Richmond/Hampton Court I believe.

Cheers,

Mike

--

-- 
Michael Askin
http://shoestring_DOT_zapto_DOT_org/

------------------------------------

editor | 1 Apr 14:08 2009
Picon
Picon

Re: Harnser Trip Report

mykaskin@... wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 11:00 AM, BARRY HOLLAND
> <barryhollanduk@...> wrote:
> > Many's the time I've longingly looked over the canal bridge  <at>  3 Bridges i=
> n Southall, hoping to see a train. I've *never* been successful, although I=
> 've sometimes heard one!Does anyone have a timetable for the appearance of =
> these rarities?BarryNb emptyrailsasfarastheeyecansee
> That line is a dead end to a factory estate - though I think it might
> still get the occasional train. 

Rubbish! No, that's not a comment on your posting - it's what the trains carry. There's a refuse transfer
depot that sends domestic rubbish out in container trains.

I was actually talking about the
> railway bridge across the end of the Brentford Basin, which takes
> trains to Richmond/Hampton Court I believe.

It carries the Hounslow Loop service which is a stopping train that runs out of Waterloo via Clapham
Junction, Barnes and Brentford to Hounslow then returns to Waterloo via Twickenham, Richmond and
Clapham Junction. Or vice versa. Plus some slightly longer distance trains to destinations including
Weybridge and the occasional Reading service.

Martin L

------------------------------------

Neil Arlidge | 1 Apr 15:27 2009
Picon

Re: Lock sizes (was: Upper Avon)

Adrian Stott wrote:
> "Neil Arlidge"
> <news1@...> wrote:
>
>> Adrian Stott wrote:
>
>>> some of the locks on the Great Ouse are not that wide (the
>>> narrowest is just over 3.1 m).  Although EA has promised always to
>>> achieve at least 4.3 m when it rebuilds any of its locks.
>>>
>>> Adrian
>>
>> Which is a lot of good when they only half rebuild a lock, like at
>> St Neots.
>
> The deal is that any lock rebuilding work EA does where the scope of
> the work is such that the dimensions of the lock could reasonably be
> altered will done so that the affected dimensions are at least large
> enough to accept craft with dimensions of 22 m (length) and 4.3 m
> (beam).
>
> At St Neots, only the chamber size (width) was being altered (to allow
> more boats to be handled per locking).  The entrances/gates were not.
> So the altered chamber is now >= 4.3 m wide (IIRC).  Of course, a
> vessel that wide won't be able to enter or leave the lock until the
> entrances are widened.  Frustrating in this instance, perhaps, but a
> logical step in the right direction.  And a *lot* better than when
> that risibly small lock was built on the Little Ouse, which is what
> led to the current policy.
>
(Continue reading)

Des Barnard | 1 Apr 15:46 2009
Picon

Red Diesel Duty Increase

The rates of duty on all fuels have been increased as from today. This means the additional duty charged on
fuel purchased for propulsion purposes has increased from 42.28 to 43.77 pence per litre, plus VAT at 5%.

See http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/briefs/excise-duty/brief2209.htm

Des Barnard
nb Farne

------------------------------------

Bruce Napier | 1 Apr 16:07 2009
Picon

Another one gone...

Story from Chorley about the theft of the Rebecca Kathleen here:

http://ohjiep.notlong.com/

The loss adjuster reckons on 70 - 80 thefts in a year at the moment,  
as opposed to more like 10 in previous times.

Lock up your boats, folks!

––
All the best

Bruce

"The superior man knows what is right, the inferior man knows what  
will sell"  Analects of Confucius, circa 500 BCE

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------


Gmane