Sallyann Ford | 1 Sep 01:07 2007

Re: Another report on the National (or bits of it at any rate!)

Yes it was loud, but we did enjoy meeting friends and making friends at the festival, so loud became not an issue!
with best wishes
Sallyann
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Sue Burchett 
  To: canals-list@... 
  Sent: Friday, August 31, 2007 7:51 PM
  Subject: RE: [canals-list] Another report on the National (or bits of it at any rate!)

  >
  >Sue wrote ...
  >
  >> You could try pulling the plug out!! This would do a lot of 
  >> us a favour.
  >
  >I was tempted :-)
  >
  >It was very much a case of the boot being on the other foot given that
  >for the last three years I've been sort of 'in charge' of the main bar
  >PA and thus the primary target of complaints about the noise from the
  >PA!
  >
  >The lack of a quiet bar, the poor arrangement of the site (again, Site
  >just will not listen or learn), an excessively large sound system (I
  >nearly had kittens! I though we had an OTT system at Beale Park but 6,
  >count 'em SIX, dual 18" bass bins for an event that size? Yeah Gods!)
  >and overly enthusiastic young turks with their fingers on the loud knob
  >meant it was too loud too often IMO. 
  >
  Snipped
(Continue reading)

Steve Hayes | 1 Sep 01:43 2007
Picon

Re: Another report on the National (or bits of it at any rate!)

Sorry to disagree but, yes I do like rock music loud and the rock bands this year didn't sound bad!  The Jazz
band, however, was as usual.  A group of musicians playing different tunes at the same time on the same
stage.  Sorry, rant over it's just that I detest Jazz.

  Having said that I don't think that the music should interfere with anything else that is going on on the
site.  I'm only sorry that I couldn't make the folk evenings but I needed a rest after standing the Sleaford /
LWP stall during the day.  The Irish band did sound good from the campsite though!

  Steve

  >Sue wrote ...
>
>> You could try pulling the plug out!! This would do a lot of 
>> us a favour.
>
>I was tempted :-)
>
>It was very much a case of the boot being on the other foot given that
>for the last three years I've been sort of 'in charge' of the main bar
>PA and thus the primary target of complaints about the noise from the
>PA!
>
>The lack of a quiet bar, the poor arrangement of the site (again, Site
>just will not listen or learn), an excessively large sound system (I
>nearly had kittens! I though we had an OTT system at Beale Park but 6,
>count 'em SIX, dual 18" bass bins for an event that size? Yeah Gods!)
>and overly enthusiastic young turks with their fingers on the loud
 knob
>meant it was too loud too often IMO. 
>
(Continue reading)

Bru Peckett | 1 Sep 02:04 2007
Picon

RE: Another report on the National (or bits of it at any rate!)

Sue wrote:

>   Is there anyone who says they like it that loud? Being an 
> old grump person it is one (ok a minor one) reason for not 
> going to the National.

Amongst others no doubt :-)

I suspect there were probably one or two "nutters" who liked it that
loud (there's always the odd one) but not many. But there are plenty of
people at the festival who like a bit of rock 'n roll and if you have
live rock bands (or similar) with drum kits it's gonna be fairly loud
and probably too loud by old grump person standards :-)

(I'm not unsympathetic BTW, I find it totally impossible to converse in
a noisy environment and have to resort to lip reading. For several years
I assumed that a mispent youth at gigs where it was very very VERY loud
had led to  hearing loss but it turns out I've got hypersensitive
hearing (very useful for a sound engineer!) and just get overloaded)

For sure, at Burton on Trent and especially Preston Brook the bar was
packed to the rafters most nights and especially so at PB on the Monday
night when the Beat Beatles were on which was, and it's no coincidence,
the 'loudest' we ran the PA system at any of the three events we did.

At Beale Park, main bar audience numbers took a knock due to over
zealous stewarding (stewards having been introduced following PB after
which we'd said we would not do the main bar PA at BP unless there were
stewards 'cos it got crazy in there!). The stewarding regime seemed to
have got sorted out to just the right sort of level at St. Ives but as I
(Continue reading)

Mike Stevens | 1 Sep 10:54 2007
Picon

Re: Another report on the National (or bits of it at any rate!)

On Saturday, September 01, 2007 1:04 AM [GMT+1=CET],
Bru Peckett <bruce@...> wrote:

> Sue wrote:
>
>>   Is there anyone who says they like it that loud? Being an
>> old grump person it is one (ok a minor one) reason for not
>> going to the National.
>
> Amongst others no doubt :-)
>
> I suspect there were probably one or two "nutters" who liked it that
> loud (there's always the odd one) but not many. But there are plenty
> of people at the festival who like a bit of rock 'n roll and if you
> have live rock bands (or similar) with drum kits it's gonna be fairly
> loud and probably too loud by old grump person standards :-)

I'm not attracted to rock music, so not at all sympathetic when it gets too 
loud.  After the Music Hall on Friday evening I'd planned to have a few 
quiet beers in the main bar, but the sound level was far too much for me 
even in the outside drinking area.  So I went back to my hotel for a drink 
instead.  I could still hear the music from inside the hotel.

On the Sunday evening the Irish band was pleasant, but much louder then 
necessary for the kind of music (and not, I think, for the reasons which 
Bruce has explained concerning rock music).  I did stay and listen to it, 
but would have been much happier had it been quieter.

On the Monday evening, the music wasn't to my taste (rock again) but wasn't 
unbearably loud, so it can be done.
(Continue reading)

Dorothy Robbie | 1 Sep 11:09 2007
Picon

Re: Another report on the National (or bits of it at any rate!)


----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Bru Peckett" <bruce@...>
To: <canals-list@...>
Sent: Saturday, September 01, 2007 1:04 AM
Subject: RE: [canals-list] Another report on the National (or bits of it at 
any rate!)

> Sue wrote:
>
>>   Is there anyone who says they like it that loud? Being an
>> old grump person it is one (ok a minor one) reason for not
>> going to the National.
>
> Amongst others no doubt :-)
>
> I suspect there were probably one or two "nutters" who liked it that
> loud (there's always the odd one) but not many. But there are plenty of
> people at the festival who like a bit of rock 'n roll and if you have
> live rock bands (or similar) with drum kits it's gonna be fairly loud
> and probably too loud by old grump person standards :-)
>> There'll doubtless be some people who'd prefer to have no music at all,
> others who'd be happy with a bit of quiet 'musak' (ugh!) and then
> there'll be others still who like it loud.
>
> Bru
>
> * OK, I'll explain this one even though nobody asked :-)
>

(Continue reading)

Brian | 1 Sep 11:23 2007

Re: Another report on the National (or bits of it at any rate!)


"Mike Stevens" <michael.stevens@...> 
wrote in message news:000301c7ec75$a618a430$1089a70a <at> PC232542321673...
> On Saturday, September 01, 2007 1:04 AM [GMT+1=CET],
> Bru Peckett <bruce@...> wrote:
>
>
> I'm not attracted to rock music, so not at all sympathetic when it gets 
> too
> loud.  After the Music Hall on Friday evening I'd planned to have a few
> quiet beers in the main bar, but the sound level was far too much for me
> even in the outside drinking area.  So I went back to my hotel for a drink
> instead.  I could still hear the music from inside the hotel.
>
> On the Sunday evening the Irish band was pleasant, but much louder then
> necessary for the kind of music (and not, I think, for the reasons which
> Bruce has explained concerning rock music).  I did stay and listen to it,
> but would have been much happier had it been quieter.

It sounded good on the camp site, but then I do prefer to listen to music at 
a distance. The bass player with Split Whiskers (read that as "Spilt 
Whiskey") sounded great.
That's why you often see me go out of the marquee at GIGs. its not that I 
don't like it, I just prefer to listen outside.
>
> 

 
Sue Burchett | 1 Sep 12:25 2007
Picon
Picon

RE: Re: Another report on the National (or bits of it at any rate!)

>Subject: [canals-list] Re: Another report on the National (or bits of it at any rate!)
>
>Sorry to disagree but, yes I do like rock music loud and the rock bands this year didn't sound bad!  The Jazz
band, however, was as usual.  A group of musicians playing different tunes at the same time on the same
stage.  Sorry, rant over it's just that I detest Jazz.
>   
>  Having said that I don't think that the music should interfere with anything else that is going on on the
site.  I'm only sorry that I couldn't make the folk evenings but I needed a rest after standing the Sleaford /
LWP stall during the day.  The Irish band did sound good from the campsite though!
>   
>  Steve

Your last comment says it all! If you go to a waterways festival to catch up with people and make friends the
music is lovely in the background. If you go to listen solely to the music I feel the NWF is the wrong venue.

Sue nb Nackered Navvy 

 
BARRY HOLLAND | 1 Sep 12:40 2007
Picon

Re: St Ives Pictures


Dorothy Robbie <dorothy.robbie@...> wrote:    
Pleased to have been of service! Indeed, who knows how these things work? 
Sometimes what doesn't work the first time is absolutely ok next time I try 
it (and vice versa). I often think that inanimate objects have a mind of 
their own.

Dorothy 

There's another downside to this Dorothy,
  Sometimes I might cobble together a couple of photos to send to someone along with some explanatory
dialogue, &, although the e-mail appears in my 'sent' folder apparently O.K., the recipient complains of
"red crosses" when I then check my 'sent' folder again....you've guessed it, the photos have disappeared
& become "red crosses."   :-(((
  Barry
  Nb thelongandwindingroad

       
---------------------------------
 Yahoo! Answers - Get better answers from someone who knows. Tryit now.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

 
BARRY HOLLAND | 1 Sep 13:05 2007
Picon

Re: Re: Another report on the National (or bits of it at any rate!)


Steve Hayes <canal.steve@...> wrote:    Sorry to disagree but,
yes I do like rock music loud and the rock bands this year didn't sound bad! The Jazz band, however, was as
usual. A group of musicians playing different tunes at the same time on the same stage. Sorry, rant over
it's just that I detest Jazz.

Having said that I don't think that the music should interfere with anything else that is going on on the
site. 

  That's *exactly* how I feel when I go into a pub for a quiet drink & conversation with friends only to be
blasted out by a f**king football match on an intrusive television!!! 
  The worst example of this insidious state of affairs is the Hamborough Tavern near Southall. We often used
to go there for Sunday lunch, good beer great food cheap prices but impossible because of the above. 
  Ban football & telly in pubs NOW 
  Barry
  Nb youwon'tlikemewheni'mangry

       
---------------------------------
 For ideas on reducing your carbon footprint visit Yahoo! For Good this month.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

 
Steve Hayes | 1 Sep 16:53 2007
Picon

RE: Re: Another report on the National (or bits of it at any rate!)

I would have gone to see the Irish band but was frankly to knackered!

  Steve

Sue Burchett <sue@...> wrote:
  >Subject: [canals-list] Re: Another report on the National (or bits of it at any rate!)
>
>Sorry to disagree but, yes I do like rock music loud and the rock bands this year didn't sound bad! The Jazz
band, however, was as usual. A group of musicians playing different tunes at the same time on the same
stage. Sorry, rant over it's just that I detest Jazz.
> 
> Having said that I don't think that the music should interfere with anything else that is going on on the
site. I'm only sorry that I couldn't make the folk evenings but I needed a rest after standing the Sleaford /
LWP stall during the day. The Irish band did sound good from the campsite though!
> 
> Steve

Your last comment says it all! If you go to a waterways festival to catch up with people and make friends the
music is lovely in the background. If you go to listen solely to the music I feel the NWF is the wrong venue.

Sue nb Nackered Navvy 

Yahoo! Groups Links

       
---------------------------------
 Yahoo! Answers - Get better answers from someone who knows. Tryit now.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

(Continue reading)


Gmane