Simon Ward | 1 Feb 09:59 2009
Picon

[GeekUp] OTish: Convention on Modern Liberty

I haven’t seen anyone else post this yet.  I’m thinking I’ll be at the
Manchester conference, and have no plans for London, but if a few want
to go we could share transport.

Simon

----- Forwarded message from Rob Knight <themanhimself@...> -----

Envelope-to: simon@...
Delivery-date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 23:00:08 +0000
Subject: [GeekUp] OTish: Convention on Modern Liberty
From: Rob Knight <themanhimself@...>
To: geekup@...
Reply-To: geekup@...
List-Post: <mailto:geekup@...>

Has anyone here seen this[1]?

It appears to be a gathering (or set of gatherings around the UK) of various
civil libertarian type people, including NO2ID, Open Rights Group and, err,
the Countryside Alliance.  Basically a grand coalition of everyone who feels
that, perhaps, ID cards, CCTV on every street corner, secret coroners'
hearings, ever-longer detention without trial, extended emergency powers for
ministers, restrictions on human rights and FOI only a few years after the
relevant acts were introduced, state-sanctioned snooping on private computer
systems without a warrant, national DNA databases of innocent and guilty
alike and, well, the long list of other things that the government is trying
its luck with might just be a bit of a bad idea.

I've tagged this as OTish because I know that this isn't always the place
(Continue reading)

Dave Page | 1 Feb 13:12 2009
Picon

Re: [GeekUp] OTish: Convention on Modern Liberty

On Sunday 01 February 2009 08:59:46 Simon Ward wrote:

> I haven’t seen anyone else post this yet.  I’m thinking I’ll be at the
> Manchester conference, and have no plans for London, but if a few want
> to go we could share transport.

There's a (not yet complete) programme for the Manchester event at 
http://manchester.no2id.net/modernliberty/programme

Would be interesting to see if somebody here could do a workshop about how 
software freedom affects our civil liberties, perhaps...

Dave
--

-- 
Dave Page <grimoire@...>
Jabber: grimoire@...
Lucy | 1 Feb 14:30 2009
Picon

Re: [GeekUp] OTish: Convention on Modern Liberty

2009/2/1 Dave Page <grimoire@...>:
> On Sunday 01 February 2009 08:59:46 Simon Ward wrote:
>
>> I haven't seen anyone else post this yet.  I'm thinking I'll be at the
>> Manchester conference, and have no plans for London, but if a few want
>> to go we could share transport.
>
> There's a (not yet complete) programme for the Manchester event at
> http://manchester.no2id.net/modernliberty/programme
>
> Would be interesting to see if somebody here could do a workshop about how
> software freedom affects our civil liberties, perhaps...

Gah, I'm away that weekend so won't be able to go. Sounds great
though, I'd love to hear some of those speakers. Somebody doing a talk
on how software freedom fits into it all would be brilliant too.

Let me know how it goes.
Lucy | 1 Feb 16:24 2009
Picon

Manchester Free Software Talk: What you don't get for free: the cost of building a Drupal site

Our next meeting will be on Tuesday 17th February 2009.

There will be a talk by Chris Maiden and James Panton, from NWDUG [1],
entitled 'What you don't get for free: the cost of building a Drupal
site'. The talk will give an overview of the popular CMS [2] and will
discuss how best to invest your time and effort to get the most from
the software.

[1] http://nwdug.org.uk
[2] http://drupal.org

There is a different location this month, the BBC building on Oxford
Road [3]. Access is via the front entrance (including disabled
access), where someone will meet you in the reception area.

As usual the talk will start at 7pm, although people will be around
from 6.30pm, and it will end around 8.30pm. There will be refreshments
available and we will also have access to the BBC bar.

Where possible we need to know in advance the names of people who will
be there (it's a secure building), so if you think you will be coming
please reply to this email or email <team@...>.

[3] New Broadcasting House, Oxford Road, Manchester, M60 1SJ

General information about Manchester Free Software meetings can be
found on our web site [4].

[4] http://manchester.fsuk.org/blog/meetings/

(Continue reading)

Mark Reynolds | 1 Feb 20:10 2009
Picon

Re: [GeekUp] OTish: Convention on Modern Liberty

I've also read about that, I think I'll go to the Manchester one.

2009/2/1 Simon Ward <simon@...>:
> I haven't seen anyone else post this yet.  I'm thinking I'll be at the
> Manchester conference, and have no plans for London, but if a few want
> to go we could share transport.
>
> Simon
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Rob Knight <themanhimself@...> -----
>
> Envelope-to: simon@...
> Delivery-date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 23:00:08 +0000
> Subject: [GeekUp] OTish: Convention on Modern Liberty
> From: Rob Knight <themanhimself@...>
> To: geekup@...
> Reply-To: geekup@...
> List-Post: <mailto:geekup@...>
>
> Has anyone here seen this[1]?
>
> It appears to be a gathering (or set of gatherings around the UK) of various
> civil libertarian type people, including NO2ID, Open Rights Group and, err,
> the Countryside Alliance.  Basically a grand coalition of everyone who feels
> that, perhaps, ID cards, CCTV on every street corner, secret coroners'
> hearings, ever-longer detention without trial, extended emergency powers for
> ministers, restrictions on human rights and FOI only a few years after the
> relevant acts were introduced, state-sanctioned snooping on private computer
> systems without a warrant, national DNA databases of innocent and guilty
> alike and, well, the long list of other things that the government is trying
(Continue reading)

Paul Waring | 2 Feb 18:12 2009
Picon

[Fwd: [UKUUG-Announce] UKUUG Spring Conference & Kerberos Tutorial - March 2009]

This may be of interest to some on the list, though I must admit to a 
bit of self-publicity as I'm the conference organiser. :) For any female 
geeks, there are also bursaries available which cover the costs of 
attending the conference (deadline Wednesday 11 February):

http://www.ukuug.org/events/spring2009/bursaries/

Cheers,

Paul

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [UKUUG-Announce] UKUUG Spring Conference & Kerberos Tutorial - 
March 2009
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 15:59:07 +0000
From: Jane Morrison <office@...>
Organisation: UKUUG
To: announce@...

UKUUG Spring 2009 Event

24th -26th March 2009 in London

UKUUG's annual Large Installation Systems Administration (LISA) 
conference and
Tutorial will be held in London at the Park Crescent Conference Centre from
24th to 26th March 2009.

The event is kindly sponsored by Google.

(Continue reading)

Andrew Williams | 2 Feb 21:47 2009

Liverpool LUG Meeting - 4th February <at> Liverpool Social Centre


Liverpool LUG Meeting
4th February 2009  <at>  7:00pm
Liverpool Social Centre, 96 Bold St, Liverpool, L1

This month is a little different, thanks to the Liverpool Social
Centre we have a meeting space available to use for this and future
meetings.

This months talk will be given by Vladimir Jakubovskij and is
regarding his recent research paper "Open Source perspective: The
current situation with online music piracy and the future of free
music distribution". Vladimir will be discussing the topics in his
paper at the talk. The paper will be published under the CC license at
a later date.

If Vladimir is unable to give the talk for some reason or another,
Then Joanne Roberts will (hopefully) have a quick talk devised on Open
Street Map.

This will be our first meeting at the Liverpool Social Centre on Bold
Street. Access is currently through the door next to the News From
Nowhere bookshop entrance. Ring the doorbell (the small white one to
the left of the main buzzer) for admittance. If you have any
difficulties finding the event, please call 07530 709 263. I'll be in
Liverpool quite early to make arrangements and organise things.

Afterwards, we'll head to a local drinking hole for a few off topic
drinks and banter.

(Continue reading)

Lucy | 3 Feb 21:34 2009
Picon

New Events Calendar

For those of you who aren't yet sick of hearing about upcoming MFS
events, there's now another way to keep up to date. We've now got an
iCal feed [1] available on our website (above the calendar widget on
the right, near the bottom of the page) [2]. There's no excuse for
forgetting about talks now!

Thanks to Paul who sorted out the calendar widget and everyone who
contributed to the earlier debate on the subject.

[1] http://manchester.fsuk.org/blog/?ec3_ical
[2] http://manchester.fsuk.org/blog/
Alpha GRASS | 5 Feb 12:00 2009
Picon

GPS+nagivation+PDA


Dear All,
This is Reddy from INDIA.
We are looking for a small rugged PDA with GPS. 
1.  It has to show the self position with latitude, longitude and altitude
2.  Multiple GPS positions should show on the MAP
3.  Able to read/store/edit test message from one user to another (PDA)
4.  Able to load user required maps and navigation futures like able to add
way points, 
     routes 
5.  Display requirements 3 inches with touch screen and back light and able
to wear like a 
     Wrist watch
We would be very pleased if you are willing to extend talks on the same.
We would be thankful to you if you could drop in a reply for the same as
your assistance for the same is of great important to us.

Thanks & Regards
Reddy
--

-- 
View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/GPS%2Bnagivation%2BPDA-tp21849222p21849222.html
Sent from the Free Software in Manchester mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
Lucy | 7 Feb 20:50 2009
Picon

Reminder: Administrative and Social Meeting - 9th Feb

The February administrative meeting will be on the second Monday of
the month at the usual time and place:

   * Date: Monday, 9th February
   * Time: 19:00
   * Location: The Waterhouse

The meeting is open to everyone. The meeting normally lasts about an
hour and we stay around for a social meet up afterwards, so it's a
good opportunity to meet up with people and have a chat.

You can find the minutes of January's meeting on the FSF Groups wiki
[1]. The agenda will be published sometime on Sunday,
so if there's anything you think should be added please let us know.

[1] http://groups.fsf.org/index.php/Manchester/2009-01-12/Minutes

Gmane