Serge | 1 Nov 20:00 2004
Picon

cars nonconvivial?


--- In CarFree@..., De Clarke <de <at> u...> wrote:

> in an earlier post Serge challenge the idea that the automobile was a 
> nonconvivial (non-vulgarisable, diminishing-returns) technology, and
suggested
> that it is streets and parking lots that are the nonconvivial
technology.
> I didn't have time or energy to respond at the time, but this
strikes me as
> absurd.  the car, the road (as we now know it) and the parking lot,
are all
> part of *one* technology:  the private automobile paradigm.  take
away the
> cars and the infrastructure would be radically different.  it's all one
> package, and the demand for parking and roadway space that the
private auto
> generates is part of what makes it nonconvivial:  if you get enough
people
> in cars demanding to occupy large amounts of space (in motion or at
rest), 
> you start to run out of space, both for more-people-in-cars and for
everyone
> not-in-cars.

Yes, it is true that cars and the facilities for them (roads,
parking lots) can be viewed as one technology, but they are not
one and the same.

Consider if movie theaters were made "public" (like our roads) and
(Continue reading)

Wonko The Sane | 1 Nov 23:54 2004
Picon

"Isn't the automoblie liberating?" 3 Billion agree


Be sure to read to the bottom of this (only then will you understand):

Ethnic violence hits China region
BBC News World Edition
Monday, 1 November, 2004, 14:19 GMT

Martial law has been imposed in parts of the Chinese province of Henan
after ethnic clashes in which at least seven people were killed.
More than 40 people were also injured in the violence, and 18 were
arrested, China's Xinhua news agency reported.

The clashes were between members of China's majority Han community and
the Muslim Hui ethnic group.

Residents are quoted as saying that houses were set alight, and people
were fighting using farm tools.

Xinhua did not say that the clash was between Hui and the Han people.
China's ruling Communist Party, which keeps strict control over the
media, plays down any reports of ethnic tensions, out of fear of
social disorder.

Neither is it clear exactly what triggered the violence. 

But it appears to be the worst incident between the Hui and Han people
in several years.

According to Xinhua, the violence started on 27 October when Mr Lu,
from Nanren village, began a fight with Mr Liu, from nearby Nanwei
(Continue reading)

upkerry12 | 2 Nov 04:08 2004
Picon

Carfree ....


I too am getting rid of my car. A 15 year old car bought from a 
little old lady's friend. It had 27k miles on it and now that I have 
had it for about 6  years it has...... 32k or so. I used to take it 
to the dog park about 1 mile away and now bought another beat up 
trailer which the dogs will go into. I just hope they get used to it.
it runs fine but no one wants it ( even for free) so I'm waiting for 
it to die. I just hate to spend money on it ( insurance etc...) even 
though I can afford it. Peopel here at work thik I'm nuts getting 
rid of the car but I think they secretly envy me my lifestyle.
I rarely drive the damned thing.I had it stolen and had a party to 
celebrate and the damned cops found it!
Bill

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
$9.95 domain names from Yahoo!. Register anything.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/xbTolB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

  Problem?  Email:  CarFree-owners@...

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CarFree/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    CarFree-unsubscribe@...

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
(Continue reading)

Lenard Segnitz | 2 Nov 16:05 2004

Re: Carfree ....


--- In CarFree@..., "upkerry12" <upkerry12 <at> y...> wrote:
> I too am getting rid of my car.

Bravo!  Perhaps when it finally dies you could turn it into a planter.

> I just hate to spend money on it ( insurance etc...) even 
> though I can afford it.

How about putting minimal insurance?  At least here in British 
Columbia, Canada, I was able to get "storage insurance" for just a 
few bucks a month.  Then for those rare instances when you really do 
need to drive you can get temporary insurance.  Here in BC I could 
purchase "temporary operations permit" intended for getting beaters 
to the repair shop.  Haven't figured out how much it is but it's got 
to be less than renting a car.

Lenard Segnitz
Kamloops, BC, Canada
(car-free for two years, renting a car every six months... maybe)

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
$9.95 domain names from Yahoo!. Register anything.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/xbTolB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

  Problem?  Email:  CarFree-owners@...

Yahoo! Groups Links

(Continue reading)

Elizabeth Ward | 2 Nov 21:59 2004
Picon

Re: Carfree ....


I'll take it!!  Where do you live???

upkerry12 <upkerry12@...> wrote:

I too am getting rid of my car. A 15 year old car bought from a 
little old lady's friend. It had 27k miles on it and now that I have 
had it for about 6  years it has...... 32k or so. I used to take it 
to the dog park about 1 mile away and now bought another beat up 
trailer which the dogs will go into. I just hope they get used to it.
it runs fine but no one wants it ( even for free) so I'm waiting for 
it to die. I just hate to spend money on it ( insurance etc...) even 
though I can afford it. Peopel here at work thik I'm nuts getting 
rid of the car but I think they secretly envy me my lifestyle.
I rarely drive the damned thing.I had it stolen and had a party to 
celebrate and the damned cops found it!
Bill

  Problem?  Email:  CarFree-owners@...

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

---------------------------------
Yahoo! Groups Links

   To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CarFree/

   To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
CarFree-unsubscribe@...
(Continue reading)

Lenard Segnitz | 2 Nov 23:54 2004

Re: Carfree ....


--- In CarFree@..., Elizabeth Ward <alexis0797 <at> y...> 
wrote:
> I'll take it!!  Where do you live???
>  

Hmmm, the irony.  Interested enough in car-free-ness to subscribe to 
a car-free discussion group but will jump at the chance at getting a 
car for cheap (or free).  Have we acheived so little?

Lenard Segnitz
Kamloops, BC, Canada

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/xbTolB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

  Problem?  Email:  CarFree-owners@...

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CarFree/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    CarFree-unsubscribe@...

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
(Continue reading)

ensignaurora | 3 Nov 07:49 2004
Picon

Re: A plane in your driveway


Been like that for decades in Marple Falls, Tx...........but then
again, if you watch some of the Australian nature shows, it's like
that a lot of places.
-------------------------------------------
("Hey, Slim, why are you sitting in the car? I'm not going to give you
a lift into town in that old thing!"--Mature woman pilot of the range,
(wtte), "Silver Streak")

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
$9.95 domain names from Yahoo!. Register anything.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/xbTolB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

  Problem?  Email:  CarFree-owners@...

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CarFree/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    CarFree-unsubscribe@...

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

John Clarke | 2 Nov 23:40 2004

Welcome to CarFree


Hi all,

I just joined the CarFree list and am looking forward to some interesting
conversation.  I've been Car Free for a couple of years now.
  =================================================

 Introductory Profile

 1. Which of the following best describes you? Please check one.
 __X___ I am do not presently own a car though I have owned a car
     previously.
 _____ I am car-free and have never owned a car
 _____ I own a car but use other forms of transport frequently

 2. How long have you been either car-free or used non-automotive
 transport as your principle means of transportation?

about two years

 3. What inspired your decision to reduce or end your reliance on the
 automobile?

I've had too many friends and family members killed by cars, causing me to
examine my own car use.  Also didn't want to be add to the noise and
pollution of the car culture.  The exercise benefit of bicycling is an added
plus. 

 4. If you owned a car and then gave it up, what process did you go through
to do so? (e.g., did you go through a process of gradually using the car
(Continue reading)

Robert J. Matter | 3 Nov 09:19 2004
Picon
Picon

Toxic Sludge is Good for You


I'm reading a good book right now called _Toxic Sludge is Good for You:
Lies, Damn Lies, and the Public Relations Industry_ by John Stauber and
Sheldon Rampton. See http://tinyurl.com/6563m.

Stauber and Rampton write about several covert PR campaigns that have
been waged against environmental, animal rights, vegetarian, and other
progressive grassroots groups by PR companies on behalf of consortiums
of their corporate clients.

One tool from the bag of dirty tricks PR firms use to undermine
progressive organizations is to infiltrate them with moles. Besides
intelligence gathering, the moles disseminate misinformation, seek to
create divisions within the group, and try to form alliances with the
group's corporate adversaries.

No doubt the small but growing carfree/carlite movement has come to the
attention of the associations of auto companies and their suppliers, oil
companies, auto insurance and finance companies, road building lobby,
and investment class.

Imagine the billions of dollars of profits the above mentioned special
interests would lose if cities across the U.S. started mimicking Davis,
California's remarkably successful integrated bikeways plan
http://tinyurl.com/5567j that facilitates an astonishing high 22% modal
split for cycling along with an astonishing low bicycle accident and
fatality rate.

Beware of those claiming toxic sludge is good for you, or bikeways are
bad for you, in the face of your own experience, common sense, and a
(Continue reading)

Wonko The Sane | 3 Nov 23:38 2004
Picon

Re: Toxic Sludge is Good for You


On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 02:19:35 -0600, Robert J. Matter
<rjmatter@...> wrote:
> I'm reading a good book right now called _Toxic Sludge is Good for You:
> Lies, Damn Lies, and the Public Relations Industry_ by John Stauber and
> Sheldon Rampton. See http://tinyurl.com/6563m.
> 
> Stauber and Rampton write about several covert PR campaigns that have
> been waged against environmental, animal rights, vegetarian, and other
> progressive grassroots groups by PR companies on behalf of consortiums
> of their corporate clients.
> 
> One tool from the bag of dirty tricks PR firms use to undermine
> progressive organizations is to infiltrate them with moles. Besides
> intelligence gathering, the moles disseminate misinformation, seek to
> create divisions within the group, and try to form alliances with the
> group's corporate adversaries.
> 
> No doubt the small but growing carfree/carlite movement has come to the
> attention of the associations of auto companies and their suppliers, oil
> companies, auto insurance and finance companies, road building lobby,
> and investment class.
> 
> Imagine the billions of dollars of profits the above mentioned special
> interests would lose if cities across the U.S. started mimicking Davis,
> California's remarkably successful integrated bikeways plan
> http://tinyurl.com/5567j that facilitates an astonishing high 22% modal
> split for cycling along with an astonishing low bicycle accident and
> fatality rate.
> 
(Continue reading)


Gmane