Tristan Miller | 2 Mar 10:15 2007
Picon

Hello all

Hey everyone,
   I'm interested in becoming a kernel developer, especially with the PowerPC port.  Almost all of my experience comes from supervisor code (or embedded systems without MMU's), or from type-safe byte-code (and ironically enough, a weird combination of the two).  However, this would be the first project that I've worked with others on.  Any idea's where I should start.  Those on IRC specifically pointed out Arty in regards to the PowerPC.

   ~Tristan Miller

_______________________________________________
Ros-dev mailing list
Ros-dev@...
http://www.reactos.org/mailman/listinfo/ros-dev
tim-sobolev | 2 Mar 12:02 2007
Picon

Re: Ros-dev Digest, Vol 31, Issue 1

В связи с седлительностью сервера ящик обьявлен закрытым
Адресат переехал на tim тточчка sobolev сссоббаккка gmail
ттточчка ком
_______________________________________________
Ros-dev mailing list
Ros-dev <at> reactos.org
http://www.reactos.org/mailman/listinfo/ros-dev
Aleksey Bragin | 2 Mar 16:49 2007

Re: Hello all

Hi,
thanks for your interest. Yes, Arty is indeed The Man to contact  
regarding the PPC port, but anyway post your questions here if you  
can't catch him on irc, and they will be answered sooner or later.

WBR,
Aleksey Bragin.

On Mar 2, 2007, at 12:15 PM, Tristan Miller wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>    I'm interested in becoming a kernel developer, especially with  
> the PowerPC port.  Almost all of my experience comes from  
> supervisor code (or embedded systems without MMU's), or from type- 
> safe byte-code (and ironically enough, a weird combination of the  
> two).  However, this would be the first project that I've worked  
> with others on.  Any idea's where I should start.  Those on IRC  
> specifically pointed out Arty in regards to the PowerPC.
>
>    ~Tristan Miller
Aleksey Bragin | 2 Mar 16:54 2007

Re: Ros-dev Digest, Vol 31, Issue 1

Setting autoreply while being subscribed to a mailing list - that's  
something not good to do.

Unsubscribed...

WBR,
Aleksey Bragin.

On Mar 2, 2007, at 2:02 PM, tim-sobolev wrote:

> В связи с седлительностью сервера ящик обьявлен закрытым
> Адресат переехал на tim тточчка sobolev сссоббаккка gmail
ттточчка ком
> _______________________________________________

_______________________________________________
Ros-dev mailing list
Ros-dev <at> reactos.org
http://www.reactos.org/mailman/listinfo/ros-dev
Aleksey Bragin | 4 Mar 13:54 2007

Re: [ros-diffs] [fireball] 25971: ReactOS FOSDEM 2007 talk slides

I forgot to mention that I used Ged Murphy's .ppt as a base (design  
mostly), and I used some parts of information about the kernel given  
by Alex Ionescu.

WBR,
Aleksey Bragin.

On Mar 3, 2007, at 4:18 PM, fireball@... wrote:

> Author: fireball
> Date: Sat Mar  3 16:17:47 2007
> New Revision: 25971
>
> URL: http://svn.reactos.org/svn/reactos?rev=25971&view=rev
> Log:
> ReactOS FOSDEM 2007 talk slides
Sam Banks | 8 Mar 01:20 2007
Picon

How can I help?

Hi Guys

I have recently discovered ReactOS through my research for Linuxforums.org, I have written an article on ReactOS, which should show up online in the near future. Basically I like your work and I would be keen to contribute some of my (unfortunately limited) time and skills to your project. I cant code but I can write ok.

Could I be of any use to you guys?

Cheers

Sam

--
Did you know that if you play a Windows XP cd backwards, you
will hear the voice of Satan?
That's nothing! If you play it forward, it'll install Windows XP.

_______________________________________________
Ros-dev mailing list
Ros-dev@...
http://www.reactos.org/mailman/listinfo/ros-dev
Ged Murphy | 9 Mar 00:38 2007
Picon

Re: [ros-diffs] [ion] 26032: - Tree cleanups proposed on the mailing list. Move all non-Core OS modules to rosapps. Tests were already moved by Fireball to rostests.

ion@... wrote:
> Author: ion
> Date: Thu Mar  8 21:59:45 2007
> New Revision: 26032
>
> URL: http://svn.reactos.org/svn/reactos?rev=26032&view=rev
> Log:
> - Tree cleanups proposed on the mailing list. Move all non-Core OS modules to rosapps. Tests were already
moved by Fireball to rostests.
>   

This will break 'make bootcd'

Upon thinking about this, I'm not sure it's such a good idea with 
respect to usermode stability as it will get less testing now from 
non-included apps.

Another idea, instead of moving everything out of the main trunk would 
be to give each component a new tag in rbuild.
This tag could be something like core="yes|no".  Everything which has 
been moved to rosapps could be labeled with a core="no"
2 new build commands would be available, make core and make corebootcd.

This would allow us to have the best of both world.
Many of the tests we run at application level rely on the apps which 
have just been moved being easily accessable.
If these are gone, I suspect less feedback will be collected about the 
status of usermode.

Ged.
gerard.murphy | 9 Mar 12:19 2007

Re: [ros-diffs] [ion] 26032: - Tree cleanups proposed on the mailing list. Move all non-Core OS modules to rosapps. Tests were already moved by Fireball to rostests.

Ged Murphy wrote:

> 2 new build commands would be available, make core and make corebootcd.

Rethinking, it would be better to have 'make' and 'make all'
'make' building the core stuff and 'make all' building everything.

This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are
not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the
sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your
system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be
intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender
therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which
arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy
version. 

Amteus PLC
57 Cardigan Lane,
Leeds, 
LS4 2LE
t:+44 (0) 870 8368770
f: +44 (0) 870 8368701

Registered in England No 4760795

http://www.amteus.com
Tristan Miller | 11 Mar 10:58 2007
Picon

Endianess

Hey,

   Sorry, having problems with internet or else I'd ask this on IRC.  I was curious as to why the emphasis on little-endian mode in powerpc.  Mac G5's don't even have le-mode, and it definitely seems that (although im not totally sure, as theres not much info out in the wild yet) that the XBox360 lacks le-mode as well.  Also, on the processors that support le-mode, it seems in all cases (although theres probably some embedded guy that I'm missing : P) that do support it, it's selectable at the minimum at the user/supervisor level with only a bit of work.  Perhaps eventually a thunking layer (maybe a part of NTVDM, would it need to be that complex?) that would translate the calls from le usermode to a be kernel could be written, allowing one to run NT-PPC applications that are out there.  We wouldn't be able to load drivers (or any le kernel code), but are there actually any PPC drivers out in the wild?  Plus, it seems that it would definitely be a good thing for the kernel source to be tested  on multiple endians as early as possible in its development to ease porting later on.

   ~ Tristan Miller
      (monocasa)

_______________________________________________
Ros-dev mailing list
Ros-dev@...
http://www.reactos.org/mailman/listinfo/ros-dev
Aleksey Bragin | 11 Mar 12:36 2007

Re: How can I help?

Hi,
yes definately. Our project would certainly benefit from a good PR and spread the word, because it eventually brings new developers and thus development speed rises.


Thanks a lot, and feel free to email here or me.


With the best regards,
Aleksey Bragin.

On Mar 8, 2007, at 3:20 AM, Sam Banks wrote:

Hi Guys

I have recently discovered ReactOS through my research for Linuxforums.org, I have written an article on ReactOS, which should show up online in the near future. Basically I like your work and I would be keen to contribute some of my (unfortunately limited) time and skills to your project. I cant code but I can write ok.

Could I be of any use to you guys?

Cheers

Sam

_______________________________________________
Ros-dev mailing list
Ros-dev@...
http://www.reactos.org/mailman/listinfo/ros-dev

Gmane