James D. Parra | 6 Jul 00:11 2012

zfs v28 for pcbsd 8.2

Hello,

Is there a way to get ZFS v28 on a PCBSD 8.2 install (without having to upgrade to PCBAD 9.0)? Currently using
ZFS v15. 

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

James
Dru Lavigne | 6 Jul 21:23 2012
Picon
Picon

Re: zfs v28 for pcbsd 8.2


> Hello,
> 
> Is there a way to get ZFS v28 on a PCBSD 8.2 install
> (without having to upgrade to PCBAD 9.0)? Currently using
> ZFS v15. 
> 
> Thank you for your help.

Hi James,

While this doesn't answer your question, it should be noted that 8.2 will be EOL'd on July 31st. This means
that the FreeBSD project will no longer provide security updates for 8.2. Perhaps it is time to backup and
upgrade to 9.0?

Cheers,

Dru
James D. Parra | 6 Jul 23:15 2012

Re: zfs v28 for pcbsd 8.2


> Hello,
> 
> Is there a way to get ZFS v28 on a PCBSD 8.2 install
> (without having to upgrade to PCBAD 9.0)? Currently using
> ZFS v15. 
> 
> Thank you for your help.

Hi James,

While this doesn't answer your question, it should be noted that 8.2 will be EOL'd on July 31st. This means
that the FreeBSD project will no longer provide security updates for 8.2. Perhaps it is time to backup and
upgrade to 9.0?

~~~~~~

Thanks Dru, but that is disappointing. 9.0 won't install with the MB that I have, only 8.2.

Best regards,

James
Dru Lavigne | 6 Jul 23:23 2012
Picon
Picon

Re: zfs v28 for pcbsd 8.2


> > Is there a way to get ZFS v28 on a PCBSD 8.2 install
> > (without having to upgrade to PCBAD 9.0)? Currently
> using
> > ZFS v15. 
> > 
> > Thank you for your help.
> 
> 
> Hi James,
> 
> While this doesn't answer your question, it should be noted
> that 8.2 will be EOL'd on July 31st. This means that the
> FreeBSD project will no longer provide security updates for
> 8.2. Perhaps it is time to backup and upgrade to 9.0?
> 
> ~~~~~~
> 
> Thanks Dru, but that is disappointing. 9.0 won't install
> with the MB that I have, only 8.2.

It may be worthwhile to try the latest snapshot then. We've had feedback from users who could install on 8.x
but not on 9.0 that they can now install again. 

If that is not an option, you can try rebuilding the world using the instructions in sections 25.6 and 25.7 in
the FreeBSD Handbook:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/

When grabbing the source, use the RELENG_8 csup tag.
(Continue reading)

Sam Lin | 9 Jul 12:01 2012
Picon

Does multimedia CD/DVD play on your system?

Hi folks,

When I tried to play music CD or film DVD on my PCBSD 9.0 64bit machine with all my multimedia-related applications such as VLC, MPlayer, KsCD, xmms etc, my system just does not play those CD/DVD at all. When I insert the disc into my DVD drive and then click on the play button on those application, the progress meter just move for less than a second and then it either

1. does nothing - if only one track/file is selected; or
2. switch to the next track in less than a second, and then switch to another next track in less then another second, and on and on - if more than one track are selected from the play list

So far I have not been able to play any multimedia disc on my PCBSD9 machine at all due to this symptom.

I wonder how many of you have encountered this issue? Have any of you been able to play multimedia discs on your PCBSD machine without doing any additional setting? What would have caused this issue?

Cheers,
Sam
_______________________________________________
Support mailing list
Support@...
http://lists.pcbsd.org/mailman/listinfo/support
Curt Dox | 9 Jul 21:11 2012
Picon

Re: Support Digest, Vol 57, Issue 3



On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 2:00 PM, <support-request-Fhbtn2kkCAMmbxgs1yVkuA@public.gmane.org> wrote:
Send Support mailing list submissions to
        support-Fhbtn2kkCAM@public.gmane.orgbsd.org

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
        http://lists.pcbsd.org/mailman/listinfo/support
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
        support-request-Fhbtn2kkCAMmbxgs1yVkuA@public.gmane.org

You can reach the person managing the list at
        support-owner-Fhbtn2kkCAMmbxgs1yVkuA@public.gmane.org

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of Support digest..."

Today's Topics:

   1. Does multimedia CD/DVD play on your system? (Sam Lin)


---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sam Lin <semin2006-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
To: support-Fhbtn2kkCAMmbxgs1yVkuA@public.gmane.org
Cc: 
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 22:01:36 +1200
Subject: [PC-BSD Support] Does multimedia CD/DVD play on your system?
Hi folks,

When I tried to play music CD or film DVD on my PCBSD 9.0 64bit machine with all my multimedia-related applications such as VLC, MPlayer, KsCD, xmms etc, my system just does not play those CD/DVD at all. When I insert the disc into my DVD drive and then click on the play button on those application, the progress meter just move for less than a second and then it either

1. does nothing - if only one track/file is selected; or
2. switch to the next track in less than a second, and then switch to another next track in less then another second, and on and on - if more than one track are selected from the play list

So far I have not been able to play any multimedia disc on my PCBSD9 machine at all due to this symptom.

I wonder how many of you have encountered this issue? Have any of you been able to play multimedia discs on your PCBSD machine without doing any additional setting? What would have caused this issue?

Cheers,
Sam

_______________________________________________
Support mailing list
Support-Fhbtn2kkCAMmbxgs1yVkuA@public.gmane.org
http://lists.pcbsd.org/mailman/listinfo/support

Hello!

I also discovered that many multimedia applications do not seem to be able to play music directly from the CD.  Once I ripped the music to my HDD, they worked fine, so I believed it to be a deficiency of those applications.  However, I happened to try decibel for playing CDs directly, and it works nicely.. I may have had to adjust the input and or output devices within the settings, but that is all.  I have not compared this one functional multimedia application to the others to discover why it works.  Ordinarily I use Clementine (clementine-player) for streaming audio or playing music files.


_______________________________________________
Support mailing list
Support@...
http://lists.pcbsd.org/mailman/listinfo/support
James D. Parra | 25 Jul 01:47 2012

building Samba on 8.2 fails

Hello,

I had installed Samba35 and had it working with PAM and SSH, however after a reboot PAM broke. Kept getting
the error;
in openpam_load_module(): no /usr/local/lib/pam_winbind.so found

The file was actually in that path. Never the less, I tried re-installing;

portsnap extract && portsnap fetch update
cd /usr/ports/devel/libtool && make deinstall && make install clean
cd /usr/ports/security/krb5 && make deinstall
make KRB5_HOME=/usr/local install clean

and finally;
cd /usr/ports/net/samba35 && make KRB5_HOME=/usr/local install clean

With my fingers crossed I hoped for the best and yet I received the following error during compiling;

<snip>
Compiling libsmb/libsmb_setget.c
libsmb/libsmb_setget.c: In function 'smbc_getOptionUseCCache':
libsmb/libsmb_setget.c:427: error: 'SMB_CTX_FLAG_USE_CCACHE' undeclared (first use in this function)
libsmb/libsmb_setget.c:427: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
libsmb/libsmb_setget.c:427: error: for each function it appears in.)
libsmb/libsmb_setget.c: In function 'smbc_setOptionUseCCache':
libsmb/libsmb_setget.c:435: error: 'SMB_CTX_FLAG_USE_CCACHE' undeclared (first use in this function)
The following command failed:
cc -I/usr/local/include -O2 -pipe -DLDAP_DEPRECATED -fno-strict-aliasing -I.
-I/usr/ports/net/samba35/work/samba-3.5.15/source3
-I/usr/ports/net/samba35/work/samba-3.5.15/source3/iniparser/src -Iinclude -I./include  -I.
-I. -I./../lib/replace -I./../lib/tevent -I./libaddns -I./librpc -I./.. -DHAVE_CONFIG_H 
-I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/include -Iinclude -I./include -I. -I. -I./../lib/replace
-I./../lib/tevent -I./libaddns -I./librpc -I./.. -I./../lib/popt -I/usr/local/include
-DLDAP_DEPRECATED  -I/usr/ports/net/samba35/work/samba-3.5.15/source3/lib -I.. -I../source4
-D_SAMBA_BUILD_=3 -D_SAMBA_BUILD_=3  -fPIC -DPIC -c libsmb/libsmb_setget.c -o libsmb/libsmb_setget.o
gmake: *** [libsmb/libsmb_setget.o] Error 1
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/net/samba35.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/net/samba35.
<snip>

Does anyone have any solutions on how I can get Samba installed and resolve the above error?

Many thanks in advance.

James 
Clark Mankin | 26 Jul 01:22 2012

unable to boot into pcbsd [no matter what !!! ]

I have been desperately trying to escape from the Gates Automatic
Operating System [GAOS] with no success.  You see, I cannot install
PCBSD for the simple reason that I am not able to make it boot on my
equipment,
A brand new Acer AMD Quad Core with the Windoze 7 virus preinstalled,
and a nearly worthless system BIOS that simply disregards user
selections regarding what to boot and in what order.  If the "trusted
boot" specification
in Windoze 8 is more annoying than this, I hope someone has the decency
to sue them under the Sherman Anti-Trust Act.  Your boot loader is
unceremoniously disregarded during those rare moments in which the BIOS
actually 
does what I have asked it to do.  I have a "striped RAID" that utterly
destroys a 500GB hard drive to house a <3GB operating system.  IF I
could get PCBSD to boot and IF it appears that the hardware would run
serendipitously,
my primal instinct to format the drive and expunge the accursed GAOS
would be difficult to suppress.

At some point perhaps your team can take an AM3407G-UW10P Acer and try
to determine why it is that this system is listening to a hard drive in
primal mode.  My understanding of the boot sequence is that our hardware
does 
not yet know what precisely it is, or how to proceed.  This does not
appear to be the case.  In fact, the hardware not only knows what it is,
but it also understands that an "alien" operating system is trying to
boot up and furthermore 
unless my carefully attentive monitoring is substantially in error, the
BIOS appears to make a choice to boot the GAOS partition even when I
have instructed it to boot *anything* except the hard drive first.  The
days of "hey, why don't we 
just disable the hard drive from the boot sequence?" appear to be over. 
No such option exists [Acer likely will not see another purchase from
me.]

Folks, it's a real problem and one that requires a solution before the
GAOS Gang simply locks you out.  If an aggrieved consumer files suit
under the Anti-Trust Act, DOJ will take 7-10 years. We need a viable
solution faster than the
United States District Court is able to proceed.  I wish I could tell
you *how* your boot loader is prevented from running; unfortunately I
cannot provide much useful information.  You may, however, rest assured
that I am no silly 
incompetent.  I have tried for 90 days and not once have I been able to
boot into PCBSD on this brand new platform.  I can barely get Ubuntu to
boot from a live DVD. Microsoft apparently sees PCBSD as the only real
competition
and has issued some "no way in hell" instructions.  No way!  That's how
your fancy operating system runs on my brand new platform.
H | 26 Jul 07:15 2012
Picon

Re: unable to boot into pcbsd [no matter what !!! ]


loooook! ... a political affair reporter writing a computer review :)

now everybody will buy such a box just to study your case! :)

man, the question defines the answer 

means, want technical info, provide technical facts

and better they'll be correct, your computer is AM3470G-UW10P not
AM3407G-UW10P ...

may be you try to get yourself some info about your buy,
specially about EFI Bios?

H

Em Wed, 25 Jul 2012 16:22:41 -0700
"Clark Mankin" <clark@...> escreveu:

> I have been desperately trying to escape from the Gates Automatic
> Operating System [GAOS] with no success.  You see, I cannot install
> PCBSD for the simple reason that I am not able to make it boot on my
> equipment,
> A brand new Acer AMD Quad Core with the Windoze 7 virus preinstalled,
> and a nearly worthless system BIOS that simply disregards user
> selections regarding what to boot and in what order.  If the "trusted
> boot" specification
> in Windoze 8 is more annoying than this, I hope someone has the
> decency to sue them under the Sherman Anti-Trust Act.  Your boot
> loader is unceremoniously disregarded during those rare moments in
> which the BIOS actually 
> does what I have asked it to do.  I have a "striped RAID" that utterly
> destroys a 500GB hard drive to house a <3GB operating system.  IF I
> could get PCBSD to boot and IF it appears that the hardware would run
> serendipitously,
> my primal instinct to format the drive and expunge the accursed GAOS
> would be difficult to suppress.
> 
> At some point perhaps your team can take an AM3407G-UW10P Acer and try
> to determine why it is that this system is listening to a hard drive
> in primal mode.  My understanding of the boot sequence is that our
> hardware does 
> not yet know what precisely it is, or how to proceed.  This does not
> appear to be the case.  In fact, the hardware not only knows what it
> is, but it also understands that an "alien" operating system is
> trying to boot up and furthermore 
> unless my carefully attentive monitoring is substantially in error,
> the BIOS appears to make a choice to boot the GAOS partition even
> when I have instructed it to boot *anything* except the hard drive
> first.  The days of "hey, why don't we 
> just disable the hard drive from the boot sequence?" appear to be
> over. No such option exists [Acer likely will not see another
> purchase from me.]
> 
> Folks, it's a real problem and one that requires a solution before the
> GAOS Gang simply locks you out.  If an aggrieved consumer files suit
> under the Anti-Trust Act, DOJ will take 7-10 years. We need a viable
> solution faster than the
> United States District Court is able to proceed.  I wish I could tell
> you *how* your boot loader is prevented from running; unfortunately I
> cannot provide much useful information.  You may, however, rest
> assured that I am no silly 
> incompetent.  I have tried for 90 days and not once have I been able
> to boot into PCBSD on this brand new platform.  I can barely get
> Ubuntu to boot from a live DVD. Microsoft apparently sees PCBSD as
> the only real competition
> and has issued some "no way in hell" instructions.  No way!  That's
> how your fancy operating system runs on my brand new platform.
> _______________________________________________
> Support mailing list
> Support@...
> http://lists.pcbsd.org/mailman/listinfo/support

--

-- 

H
+55 11 4249.2222

_______________________________________________
Support mailing list
Support@...
http://lists.pcbsd.org/mailman/listinfo/support
Bret Busby | 26 Jul 09:29 2012
Picon

Fwd: unable to boot into pcbsd [no matter what !!! ]

Forwarded to the list, as unfortunately, the Reply did not default to the list.

-- 
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia
..............

"So once you do know what the question actually is,
 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

....................................................

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Bret Busby <bret.busby@...>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 15:28:12 +0800
Subject: Re: [PC-BSD Support] unable to boot into pcbsd [no matter what !!! ]
To: Clark Mankin <clark@...>

On 26/07/2012, Clark Mankin <clark@...> wrote:
> I have been desperately trying to escape from the Gates Automatic
> Operating System [GAOS] with no success.  You see, I cannot install
> PCBSD for the simple reason that I am not able to make it boot on my
> equipment,
> A brand new Acer AMD Quad Core with the Windoze 7 virus preinstalled,
> and a nearly worthless system BIOS that simply disregards user
> selections regarding what to boot and in what order.  If the "trusted
> boot" specification
> in Windoze 8 is more annoying than this, I hope someone has the decency
> to sue them under the Sherman Anti-Trust Act.  Your boot loader is
> unceremoniously disregarded during those rare moments in which the BIOS
> actually
> does what I have asked it to do.  I have a "striped RAID" that utterly
> destroys a 500GB hard drive to house a <3GB operating system.  IF I
> could get PCBSD to boot and IF it appears that the hardware would run
> serendipitously,
> my primal instinct to format the drive and expunge the accursed GAOS
> would be difficult to suppress.
>
> At some point perhaps your team can take an AM3407G-UW10P Acer and try
> to determine why it is that this system is listening to a hard drive in
> primal mode.  My understanding of the boot sequence is that our hardware
> does
> not yet know what precisely it is, or how to proceed.  This does not
> appear to be the case.  In fact, the hardware not only knows what it is,
> but it also understands that an "alien" operating system is trying to
> boot up and furthermore
> unless my carefully attentive monitoring is substantially in error, the
> BIOS appears to make a choice to boot the GAOS partition even when I
> have instructed it to boot *anything* except the hard drive first.  The
> days of "hey, why don't we
> just disable the hard drive from the boot sequence?" appear to be over.
> No such option exists [Acer likely will not see another purchase from
> me.]
>
> Folks, it's a real problem and one that requires a solution before the
> GAOS Gang simply locks you out.  If an aggrieved consumer files suit
> under the Anti-Trust Act, DOJ will take 7-10 years. We need a viable
> solution faster than the
> United States District Court is able to proceed.  I wish I could tell
> you *how* your boot loader is prevented from running; unfortunately I
> cannot provide much useful information.  You may, however, rest assured
> that I am no silly
> incompetent.  I have tried for 90 days and not once have I been able to
> boot into PCBSD on this brand new platform.  I can barely get Ubuntu to
> boot from a live DVD. Microsoft apparently sees PCBSD as the only real
> competition
> and has issued some "no way in hell" instructions.  No way!  That's how
> your fancy operating system runs on my brand new platform.
>

Being so upset with MS Windows, why do you not simply use Ubuntu, or
Debian (I am a Debian user) to format the whole of the hard drive, and
then install PC-BSD as the sole operating system on the computer?

I had installed PC-BSD 9 on an HP-NX5000, but could not get it found
by GRUB (that laptop now has also Debian 5 and 6 installed, but their
GRUB's could not find PC-BSD, so it is invisible), and I could not get
a solution to the problem, but, perhaps, if you installed PC-BSD 9 as
a sole operating system on the computer (I think it would be worth
checking for hardware compatibility for the whole of the computer,
first), it might work, and, boot, without problems?

--

-- 
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia
..............

"So once you do know what the question actually is,
 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

....................................................

Gmane