Markus Hitter | 6 Feb 17:11 2010
Picon

More screen resolutions


Hello all,

first, I'm new to PC-BSD but have some FreeBSD (command line), Mac OS  
X and GNOME-Ubuntu experience.

Shortly after installation I was asked to set my preferred screen  
resolution, which offered me a long list, including the correct  
1152x864. However, this setting was ignored, the screen is now at  
1024x768. KDE's screen resolution list is a lot shorter, maxing out  
at 1024x768.

 From previous experience I've learned there's some protocol between  
the graphics card and the monitor and my monitor is a bit  
conservative and reports a maximum resolution of 1024x768. However,  
one can add additional resolutions with xrandr[1]:

xrandr --newmode "1152x864 LG" 108.00  1152 1216 1344 1600  864 865  
868 900 +hsync +vsync
xrandr --addmode VGA "1152x864 LG"

These commands succeed and the new resolution shows up in the KDE  
system preferences panel. Too bad, selecting the new resolution has  
no effect at all, the selection menu just hops back.

So my question is: How would I make the system preferences panel to  
actually accept this resolution and/or how would I make KDE to not  
fiddle with monitor resolutions at all, accepting what I've choosen  
at install time?

(Continue reading)

Kris Moore | 8 Feb 16:55 2010

Re: More screen resolutions

On 02/06/2010 11:11, Markus Hitter wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> first, I'm new to PC-BSD but have some FreeBSD (command line), Mac OS
> X and GNOME-Ubuntu experience.
>
> Shortly after installation I was asked to set my preferred screen
> resolution, which offered me a long list, including the correct
> 1152x864. However, this setting was ignored, the screen is now at
> 1024x768. KDE's screen resolution list is a lot shorter, maxing out
> at 1024x768.
>
>   From previous experience I've learned there's some protocol between
> the graphics card and the monitor and my monitor is a bit
> conservative and reports a maximum resolution of 1024x768. However,
> one can add additional resolutions with xrandr[1]:
>
> xrandr --newmode "1152x864 LG" 108.00  1152 1216 1344 1600  864 865
> 868 900 +hsync +vsync
> xrandr --addmode VGA "1152x864 LG"
>
> These commands succeed and the new resolution shows up in the KDE
> system preferences panel. Too bad, selecting the new resolution has
> no effect at all, the selection menu just hops back.
>
> So my question is: How would I make the system preferences panel to
> actually accept this resolution and/or how would I make KDE to not
> fiddle with monitor resolutions at all, accepting what I've choosen
> at install time?
(Continue reading)

Markus Hitter | 8 Feb 19:55 2010
Picon

Re: More screen resolutions


Am 08.02.2010 um 16:55 schrieb Kris Moore:

> While I'm not sure how to "trick" kde into taking a new resolution,  
> you
> should be able to set anything you want at install time and KDE will
> leave it alone when it loads. When you reboot and hit option "7" for
> display setup wizard, and change to your 1152x864 resolution does it
> switch properly when you click "apply"

After a about a dozen reboots, I'm pretty sure I can switch down to  
800x600, but not higher than 1024x768. Higher resolutions are  
offered, though.

I've put ticket 243 into trac to get the issue tracked. Ideally, Xorg  
has some switch to accept non-recomended resolutions.

BTW., what's the plan? Better fix PC-BSD's display setup and get rid  
of KDE's or to get rid of the former and fix the later? GNOME hat a  
display setup thingy as well and CLI junkies can use xrandr, so PC- 
BSD doesn't have to depend on it's own.

Markus

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/
Vincent FAUQUEZ | 10 Feb 15:11 2010
Picon

Cant find PCBSD7.0.2-vmware.zip

Im trying to get PC-BSD VMWare Image (32bit)  on PC-BSD web site but all the links are dead. When i look into different FTP i cant find the file :

PCBSD7.0.2-vmware.zip

Is it available ?

And if yes, can you tell me where i can get it ?

If no, can you tell me what is the last release for PC-BSD Virtual machines

Thanks a lot for your returns. I really need a PC BSD on my office under a VMWARE to test some stuffs...

Best regards,

Vincent 
Paris 
France
_______________________________________________
Support mailing list
Support@...
http://lists.pcbsd.org/mailman/listinfo/support
Kris Moore | 10 Feb 15:43 2010

Re: Cant find PCBSD7.0.2-vmware.zip

On 02/10/2010 09:11, Vincent FAUQUEZ wrote:
> Im trying to get PC-BSD VMWare Image
> (32bit)<http://www.pcbsd.org/content/view/21/11/#vmware>   on
> PC-BSD web site but all the links are dead. When i look into different FTP i
> cant find the file :
>
> PCBSD7.0.2-vmware.zip
>
> Is it available ?
>
> And if yes, can you tell me where i can get it ?
>
> If no, can you tell me what is the last release for PC-BSD Virtual machines
>
> Thanks a lot for your returns. I really need a PC BSD on my office under a
> VMWARE to test some stuffs...
>
> Best regards,
>
> Vincent
> Paris
> France
>

Vincent,

We no longer supply the vmware images to PC-BSD, since they we're a pain 
to maintain and few used them. However you are more than welcome to grab 
the ISO files, and just install it into vmware, which is all the image 
was anyway :)

--

-- 

Kris Moore
PC-BSD Software
http://www.pcbsd.com
Gregory Splitstoser | 14 Feb 05:38 2010
Picon

**PROBLEM** Install FreeBSD 8.0 RC2 AMD 64 re-ocurring issue

The install still does not work on the following machine; this same error has come up with all of the PC-BSD 8.0 beta's:

Acer : Aspire X3300

When installing I get the following message:

Checking for install image on: /dev/da1
Unable to mount: /dev/da1
Checking for install image on: /dev/cd0
Unable to mount: /dev/cd0
Checking for install image on: /dev/cd1
Unable to mount: /dev/cd1
Checking for install image on: /dev/cd2
Unable to mount: /dev/cd2
Checking for install image on: /dev/cd3
Unable to mount: /dev/cd3
Checking for install image on: /dev/acd0
Unable to mount: /dev/acd0
Checking for install image on: /dev/acd1
Unable to mount: /dev/acd1
Checking for install image on: /dev/acd2
Unable to mount: /dev/acd2
Checking for install image on: /dev/acd3
Unable to mount: /dev/acd3
Error mounting install image!!!
Please report this problem to PC-BSD support!!
ls: *cd*: No such file or directory
Available devices are: da0
da1
Press ENTER to drop to shell. When finished, type in 'exit' to reboot.

PLEASE NOTE: PC-BSD 7.1 Installs with no issues at all on this machine.

Regards,

Greg

Hotmail: Powerful Free email with security by Microsoft. Get it now.
_______________________________________________
Support mailing list
Support@...
http://lists.pcbsd.org/mailman/listinfo/support
Kris Moore | 16 Feb 20:43 2010

Re: **PROBLEM** Install FreeBSD 8.0 RC2 AMD 64 re-ocurring issue

On 02/13/2010 23:38, Gregory Splitstoser wrote:
>
> The install still does not work on the following machine; this same error has come up with all of the PC-BSD
8.0 beta's:
>
> Acer : Aspire X3300
>
> When installing I get the following message:
>
>
> Checking for install image on: /dev/da1
>
> Unable to mount: /dev/da1
> Checking for install image on: /dev/cd0
>
>
> Unable to mount: /dev/cd0
> Checking for install image on: /dev/cd1
>
>
> Unable to mount: /dev/cd1
> Checking for install image on: /dev/cd2
>
>
> Unable to mount: /dev/cd2
> Checking for install image on: /dev/cd3
>
>
> Unable to mount: /dev/cd3
> Checking for install image on: /dev/acd0
> Unable to mount: /dev/acd0
> Checking for install image on: /dev/acd1
>
> Unable to mount: /dev/acd1
> Checking for install image on: /dev/acd2
>
> Unable to mount: /dev/acd2
> Checking for install image on: /dev/acd3
>
> Unable to mount: /dev/acd3
> Error mounting install image!!!
> Please report this problem to PC-BSD support!!
> ls: *cd*: No such file or directory
> Available devices are: da0
> da1
> Press ENTER to drop to shell. When finished, type in 'exit' to reboot.
>
> PLEASE NOTE: PC-BSD 7.1 Installs with no issues at all on this machine.
>
> Regards,
>
> Greg

Greg,

This error indicates that the installer couldn't locate your DVD drive, 
maybe a missing driver is causing the issue. What type of hardware is 
this on? Do you know the motherboard model? Also, do you have any 
options in your BIOS for SATA Enhanced mode? I've seen some cases where 
the "Enhanced Mode" causes the driver to fail, and this error to occur.

--

-- 

Kris Moore
PC-BSD Software
http://www.pcbsd.com
Mike Barnard | 22 Feb 09:18 2010
Picon

lagg0 on PC-BSD 8.0 RC2

Hi,

I have been running PC-BSD 8.0-RC for a while and upgraded to RC2. I am using a HP Compaq 6720s.

one: my PC-BSD installation keeps on crashing and restarting by itself. There are no core files or a dump too trace back what happed.

two: Is it possible to have the lagg0 interface function with one wireless and one wired both on different IP networks with different gateways? My wireless network only allows my wireless MAC address and has its own IP numbering and gateway. Currently, the lagg0 interface created in PC-BSD 8.0-RC2 uses the wired interface MAC address.



--
Mike

Of course, you might discount this possibility, but remember that one in
a million chances happen 99% of the time.
------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Support mailing list
Support@...
http://lists.pcbsd.org/mailman/listinfo/support
QT | 22 Feb 09:27 2010
Picon

make buildworld and installworld

Greetings,

I don't know if this is the proper place to ask this question, but a search of the forum did not yield a definitive answer.  How does one go about upgrading the userland and kernel on PCBSD?  I'm running PCBSD 7.1.1 and keep the source tree up-to-date with RELENG_7.  Instructions from Absolute FreeBSD 2nd, said to

1/update source
2/make buildworld
3/make buildkernel
4/make installkernel
5/reset to single user
6/test to make sure new kernel works
7/mergemaster -p
8/if everything checks out
9/make installworld
10/mergemaster -iU

Long list to be exact.  #1 and #2 is easily done.  I've compiled from source without error.  #3...well from what I understand, PCBSD kernel is a custom job.  Where could I get this kernel build?  PCBSD source?  Once I have this kernel build, I will attempt the rest of the steps.

Best,
Quyen

_______________________________________________
Support mailing list
Support@...
http://lists.pcbsd.org/mailman/listinfo/support
Kris Moore | 22 Feb 16:15 2010

Re: make buildworld and installworld

On 02/22/2010 03:27, QT wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I don't know if this is the proper place to ask this question, but a search
> of the forum did not yield a definitive answer.  How does one go about
> upgrading the userland and kernel on PCBSD?  I'm running PCBSD 7.1.1 and
> keep the source tree up-to-date with RELENG_7.  Instructions from Absolute
> FreeBSD 2nd, said to
>
> 1/update source
> 2/make buildworld
> 3/make buildkernel
> 4/make installkernel
> 5/reset to single user
> 6/test to make sure new kernel works
> 7/mergemaster -p
> 8/if everything checks out
> 9/make installworld
> 10/mergemaster -iU
>
> Long list to be exact.  #1 and #2 is easily done.  I've compiled from source
> without error.  #3...well from what I understand, PCBSD kernel is a custom
> job.  Where could I get this kernel build?  PCBSD source?  Once I have this
> kernel build, I will attempt the rest of the steps.
>
> Best,
> Quyen
>

Those steps look good :)

The kernel configs for i386 7.1.1 and amd64 7.1.1 are both in 
/usr/PCBSD/conf on your system, or you can grab them from trac here:

http://trac.pcbsd.org/browser/pcbsd/branches/7.1.1/system-overlay/usr/PCBSD/conf

--

-- 

Kris Moore
PC-BSD Software
http://www.pcbsd.com

Gmane