Aaron Kavlie | 1 Oct 01:56 2003
Picon

Re: Visual design stuff

On Sun, 2003-09-28 at 17:01, Michael Phipps wrote:
> My personal favorite, for example, is the Outlook bar control. That
> control is, IMHO, vastly underused.

What is the Outlook bar control?

-Aaron

Helmar Rudolph | 1 Oct 02:03 2003
Picon

Re: Visual design stuff

Aaron Kavlie wrote:

> What is the Outlook bar control?

The element on the left hand side with horizontal tabs, each
one containing icon sets (ie Inbox, Outbox, Draft, ...). 

Helmar

Sikosis | 1 Oct 02:05 2003

Re: Visual design stuff again

Quoting Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@...>:

> yT got slashdotted about selling zeta-pcs, and their website got 1.3 
> million hits in a few hours. Slashdot readers are amoung those who will 
> make the download/ignore decision based on a single screenshot (as Lars 

SlashDot is also a very pro-linux site. I saw a post on ZetaNews from Eugenia
which said "Only Hemos is fond of BeOS at Slashdot with Timothy having a remote
interest only. The rest editors there don't give a flying monkey about BeOS/Zeta."

> Selling bootable OBOS R1 install CDs might be an interesting way for 
> you to make some money as an organisation. It would work as more of an 

This was discussed in a newsletter editorial by Michael a month or so back.

I'd suggest you go through and read all the newsletters, it'll proly answer most
of the questions you have.

Cheers

Sikosis
OBOS Pref Team Leader
http://obos.gravity24hr.com/
http://openbeos.org/

Sikosis | 1 Oct 02:12 2003

Re: Visual design stuff

Quoting Aaron Kavlie <akavlie@...>:

> On Sun, 2003-09-28 at 17:01, Michael Phipps wrote:
> > My personal favorite, for example, is the Outlook bar control. That
> > control is, IMHO, vastly underused.
> 
> What is the Outlook bar control?
> 
> -Aaron
> 

http://www.bcgsoft.com/Doc/Images/outlook_bars.jpg

It's that thing on the left.

You can change the view of the icons to big or small. It's like a shortcut area
which refers to actual folders. So, instead of the Folder List, which shows
every folder accessible, the Outlook Bar only has shortcuts to the ones you want
to see.

Cheers

Sikosis

Simon Taylor | 1 Oct 12:35 2003

Re: Visual design stuff

> Quoting Aaron Kavlie <akavlie@...>:
> 
> > On Sun, 2003-09-28 at 17:01, Michael Phipps wrote:
> > > My personal favorite, for example, is the Outlook bar control. 
> > > That
> > > control is, IMHO, vastly underused.
> > 
> > What is the Outlook bar control?
> > 
> > -Aaron
> > 
> 
> http://www.bcgsoft.com/Doc/Images/outlook_bars.jpg
> 
> It's that thing on the left.
> 
> You can change the view of the icons to big or small. It's like a 
> shortcut area
> which refers to actual folders. So, instead of the Folder List, which 
> shows
> every folder accessible, the Outlook Bar only has shortcuts to the 
> ones you want
> to see.
> 
> Cheers
> 
> Sikosis

An OS-wide toolbar control must come first- we haven't even got one of 
those yet.
(Continue reading)

Simon Taylor | 1 Oct 13:06 2003

Visual design/Selling OBOS stuff

> Quoting Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@...>:
> 
> > yT got slashdotted about selling zeta-pcs, and their website got 
> > 1.3 
> > million hits in a few hours. Slashdot readers are amoung those who 
> > will 
> > make the download/ignore decision based on a single screenshot (as 
> > Lars 
> 
> SlashDot is also a very pro-linux site. I saw a post on ZetaNews from 
> Eugenia
> which said "Only Hemos is fond of BeOS at Slashdot with Timothy 
> having a remote
> interest only. The rest editors there don't give a flying monkey 
> about BeOS/Zeta."

So what? The vistors to the site read the article, and 1.2 million of 
them were interested enough to investigate a little further.

I bet the release of R1 will get slashdotted.

> > Selling bootable OBOS R1 install CDs might be an interesting way 
> > for 
> > you to make some money as an organisation. It would work as more of 
> > an 
> 
> This was discussed in a newsletter editorial by Michael a month or so 
> back.
> 
> I'd suggest you go through and read all the newsletters, it'll proly 
(Continue reading)

Imre Leber | 4 Oct 09:43 2003
Picon

Compilers

Hi,

I just discovered that the gcc compilers are not available from the OpenBeOS
website. Is there some way of downloading them somewhere?

Imre

Alexander G. M. Smith | 4 Oct 15:03 2003

Re: Compilers

Imre Leber wrote on Sat, 4 Oct 2003 09:43:47 +0200:
> I just discovered that the gcc compilers are not available from the OpenBeOS
> website. Is there some way of downloading them somewhere?

You can get the BeOS development tools (compiler included) from http://www.bebits.com/app/2680

Plus for OpenBeOS, there are some extra tools you need to get from http://open-beos.sourceforge.net/dev.php

- Alex

Ingo Weinhold | 4 Oct 17:20 2003
Picon

Re: Compilers


On 2003-10-04 at 15:03:11 [+0200], Alexander G. M. Smith wrote:
> Imre Leber wrote on Sat, 4 Oct 2003 09:43:47 +0200:
> > I just discovered that the gcc compilers are not available from the 
> > OpenBeOS
> > website. Is there some way of downloading them somewhere?
> 
> You can get the BeOS development tools (compiler included) from 
> http://www.bebits.com/app/2680
> 
> Plus for OpenBeOS, there are some extra tools you need to get from 
> http://open-beos.sourceforge.net/dev.php

Apropos compilers, does anyone know whether the GCC sources are included in 
the Zeta distribution as required by the GPL? If so, could someone please 
publish them somewhere.

CU, Ingo

Jeff Thompson | 4 Oct 20:43 2003
Picon

Re: Compilers

I thought the GPL said you have to make the source available if you 
change it.  And you don't need to distribute the source you just have to 
have it upon request, which means you can charge for it via cd, you can 
have it on FTP, web download or even in paper flyers.  But it is not 
required in the distribution, though that is the easiest way to satisfy 
the GPL.

Ingo Weinhold wrote:

>On 2003-10-04 at 15:03:11 [+0200], Alexander G. M. Smith wrote:
>  
>
>>Imre Leber wrote on Sat, 4 Oct 2003 09:43:47 +0200:
>>    
>>
>>>I just discovered that the gcc compilers are not available from the 
>>>OpenBeOS
>>>website. Is there some way of downloading them somewhere?
>>>      
>>>
>>You can get the BeOS development tools (compiler included) from 
>>http://www.bebits.com/app/2680
>>
>>Plus for OpenBeOS, there are some extra tools you need to get from 
>>http://open-beos.sourceforge.net/dev.php
>>    
>>
>
>Apropos compilers, does anyone know whether the GCC sources are included in 
>the Zeta distribution as required by the GPL? If so, could someone please 
(Continue reading)


Gmane