Joel CARNAT | 2 May 18:27 2004
Picon

are the names sun4u, sun4m jokes ?

Hi,

reading the "howto make a boot CD" for SUN, I just start wondering if the cpu kinds are named for joke ?

ARCH	Pronounced
======================
sun4	SUN for ? maybe no joke a the beginning.
sun4c	SUN for Sea
sun4m	SUN for Them
sun4d	SUN for ?
sun4u	SUN for You

Could it be possible, or is it just the beer I had for lunch ? :)

Dave McGuire | 2 May 18:31 2004

Re: are the names sun4u, sun4m jokes ?

On May 2, 2004, at 12:27 PM, Joel CARNAT wrote:
> reading the "howto make a boot CD" for SUN, I just start wondering if 
> the cpu kinds are named for joke ?
>
> ARCH	Pronounced
> ======================
> sun4	SUN for ? maybe no joke a the beginning.
> sun4c	SUN for Sea
> sun4m	SUN for Them
> sun4d	SUN for ?
> sun4u	SUN for You
>
> Could it be possible, or is it just the beer I had for lunch ? :)

   Definitely the beer.

       -Dave

--
Dave McGuire          "PC users only know two 'solutions'...
Cape Coral, FL          reboot and upgrade."    -Jonathan Patschke

Edwin Mons | 2 May 18:54 2004
Picon

Re: are the names sun4u, sun4m jokes ?

On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 18:27 +0200, Joel CARNAT wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> reading the "howto make a boot CD" for SUN, I just start wondering if the cpu kinds are named for joke ?
> 
> ARCH	Pronounced
> ======================
> sun4	SUN for ? maybe no joke a the beginning.
> sun4c	SUN for Sea
> sun4m	SUN for Them
> sun4d	SUN for ?
> sun4u	SUN for You
> Could it be possible, or is it just the beer I had for lunch ? :)

Almost certainly the beer :)

The sun4 series were the next Sun architecture after sun3, hence the 4.
4c started with the Campus, which can explain the c.  sun4m gave us the
Mbus, while sun4d introduced the XDbus.  Sun4u is the line of machines
with an ultraSparc CPU.

Cheers,
Edwinm

Joel CARNAT | 2 May 23:36 2004
Picon

installed OK but can't boot on my Adaptec 29160

Hi,

I have an Ultra5 on which I removed the IDE drive, installed an Adaptec 29160 and plugged two U160 disks. I
booted a netbsd-2-0 CD snapshot and installed NetBSD by hand (ie, made a raid0 device, untar the tgz,
installboot, ...).

Sun Ultra 5/10 UPA/PCI (UltraSPARC-IIi 333MHz), No Keyboard
OpenBoot 3.31, 256 MB (50 ns) memory installed
<snip>
ahc0 at pci2 dev 2 function 0: Adaptec 29160 Ultra160 SCSI adapter
ahc0: interrupting at ivec 14
ahc0: aic7892: Ultra160 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 32/253 SCBs
scsibus1 at ahc0: 16 targets, 8 luns per target

Now I rebooted and am stucked in the PROM...
ok probe-scsi-all
/pci <at> 1f,0/pci <at> 1/pci <at> 1/SUNW,isptwo <at> 4

What is the command to tell my U5 to boot on the first scsi disk (SCSI ID 0, part a) ?

Thanks for help,
	Jo

Volker A. Brandt | 3 May 08:57 2004
Picon

Re: installed OK but can't boot on my Adaptec 29160

> ahc0 at pci2 dev 2 function 0: Adaptec 29160 Ultra160 SCSI adapter
>
> What is the command to tell my U5 to boot on the first scsi disk (SCSI ID 0, part a) ?

You can only boot off adapters that OBP recognizes.  The Adaptec
adapter almost certainly is not recognized (it would need to have
Open Firmware Forth code on board).

Your options are to put the IDE disk back in, to boot off a floppy
(really! :-), or to boot off the net.

A general method to find the recognized disk controllers is the
OBP command "show-disks".  You can then select the controller
you want, and boot off the first disk using "boot ^Y/sd <at> 0,0:a".
The Control-Y will substitute the path to the selected controller.

HTH.

Meilleures salutations -- Volker
--

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Volker A. Brandt                  Consulting and Support for Sun Solaris
Brandt & Brandt Computer GmbH              WWW: http://www.bb-c.de/~vab/
Meckenheim, Germany                                   Email: vab <at> bb-c.de

Sean Davis | 4 May 01:05 2004
Picon

Re: installed OK but can't boot on my Adaptec 29160

On Mon, 3 May 2004 08:57:36 +0200, Volker A. Brandt <vab <at> bb-c.de> wrote:
> 
> > ahc0 at pci2 dev 2 function 0: Adaptec 29160 Ultra160 SCSI adapter
> >
> > What is the command to tell my U5 to boot on the first scsi disk (SCSI ID 0, part a) ?
> 
> You can only boot off adapters that OBP recognizes.  The Adaptec
> adapter almost certainly is not recognized (it would need to have
> Open Firmware Forth code on board).
> 
> Your options are to put the IDE disk back in, to boot off a floppy
> (really! :-), or to boot off the net.
> 
> A general method to find the recognized disk controllers is the
> OBP command "show-disks".  You can then select the controller
> you want, and boot off the first disk using "boot ^Y/sd <at> 0,0:a".
> The Control-Y will substitute the path to the selected controller.
> 
> HTH.
> 
> Meilleures salutations -- Volker
> --
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Volker A. Brandt                  Consulting and Support for Sun Solaris
> Brandt & Brandt Computer GmbH              WWW: http://www.bb-c.de/~vab/
> Meckenheim, Germany                                   Email: vab <at> bb-c.de
> 

You can also toss the 29160 in a Mac, and use Adaptec's flash stuff to
put OpenFirmware Forth code on it. I have a 2940-UW in my Ultra5 that
(Continue reading)

Ing. Pavel Hroza | 4 May 15:53 2004
Picon

NetBSD/sparc64 and squid - is it possible?

Hello,

I have NetBSD/sparc64 machine (don't know, what exactly is it, because i 
have only ssh access, but dmesg is available) on which I need to install 
and setup squid. NetBSD version is 1.6.2, squid is 2.5.STABLE5.

I tried to compile Squid by obvious configure;make;make install. make 
was warning about fd_mask, but compilation finished successfully. I 
created cache direcotries with squid -z (successfully) and tried to 
start squid daemon, but it failed with signal 4 (alignment error - 
syslog message:

-------------/var/log/messages ----------------------------------
May  3 18:33:52 comp3 squid[18136]: Squid Parent: child process 18146 
started
May  3 18:33:57 comp3 /netbsd: Alignment error: pid=18146 comm=squid 
dsfsr=00000000:0011001f dsfar=0:7ae147ae isfsr=00000000:00000000 pc=12c56
50
May  3 18:33:57 comp3 squid[18136]: Squid Parent: child process 18146 
exited due to signal 4
May  3 18:33:57 comp3 squid[18136]: Exiting due to repeated, frequent 
failures
-------------/var/log/messages ----------------------------------

then I installed squid from ports (as there is no binary package), but 
squid fails on squid -z with:

-------------------- console ---------------------------------
FATAL: Bungled Default Configuration line 8: cache_mem 8 MB
Squid Cache (Version 2.5.STABLE5): Terminated abnormally.
(Continue reading)

Tobias Schuepp | 4 May 17:46 2004
Picon

Re: NetBSD/sparc64 and squid - is it possible?

Ing. Pavel Hroza schrieb:

> Does anybody run squid on NetBSD/sparc64? Is it possible? How to compile 
> and install it?

Yes, installed it today on UltraSparc 5 running 1.6.2 GENERIC.

I experienced similar problems until i checked out latest pkgsrc, installed 
gcc3 and run make install in pkgsrc/www/squid.

Now it starts without any errors and serves lynx.

Cheers,

Tobias

James Bilotto | 4 May 19:41 2004

Re: installed OK but can't boot on my Adaptec 29160

On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 05:05:41PM -0600, Sean Davis wrote:
> You can also toss the 29160 in a Mac, and use Adaptec's flash stuff to
> put OpenFirmware Forth code on it. I have a 2940-UW in my Ultra5 that
> I boot from (it was flashed for OFW), and I've been told that you can
> do it to the 29160s as well.
> 
i didn't work with my 29160, it just hosed the pc bios. i havn't tried
flashing it back on a pc yet, so i don't know if i broke it, or just
trashed the bios.

Richard Braun | 4 May 19:53 2004
Picon

esp controller on Ultra1

Hi,

I'm posting this message since I noticed there wasn't much activity on
this mailing-list, and I have a special request.

I've submitted problem report port-sparc64/24758 about esp controller
timeouts on Ultra1. NetBSD 2.0_BETA seems to correct the problem, but
I won't switch to 2.0 for now and I'd like to know if someone would be
kind enough to backport the changes into the 1.6 branch.

Thanks :-).

--

-- 
Richard Braun

Gmane