Jos Purvis | 10 May 01:39 2008

O2 post-install boot: Requires serial console, is already on one

[Resending due to accidental HTML formatting]

Hi, gang,

Dusting off an O2/5000 here, and having some trouble trying to get
NetBSD running on it. The installation process goes like clockwork:
perfect CDROM boot, disk partitioned, packages installed happily. When
the system boots, though, I get this:
++++++++
NetBSD/sgimips 4.0.0_PATCH Bootstrap, Revision 1.2
(builds <at> wb24, Tue May  6 03:51:34 PDT 2008)

devopen: pci(0)scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(0) type scsi file netbsd
3314352+192508 [187408+179270]=0x3b1ed0
[ Kernel symbol table missing! ]
panic: ip32 supports serial console only.  sorry.
nullvoid
Stopped in pid 0.1 () at        0x882c0774:     jr      ra
                bdslot: nop
db>
++++++++

The problem is that the system IS on a serial console: I've done the
entire installation and reboot process over Serial1, and everything
goes swimmingly up to that point. I've tried this with 4.0-RELEASE and
4.0-CURRENT (the snapshot posted above), and get exactly the same
results both times. Anyone seen this?

Happy to post hinv/printenv if it'll help!

(Continue reading)

Jared D. McNeill | 10 May 04:12 2008
Picon

Re: O2 post-install boot: Requires serial console, is already on one

Jos Purvis wrote:
> [Resending due to accidental HTML formatting]
> 
> Hi, gang,
> 
> Dusting off an O2/5000 here, and having some trouble trying to get
> NetBSD running on it. The installation process goes like clockwork:
> perfect CDROM boot, disk partitioned, packages installed happily. When
> the system boots, though, I get this:
> ++++++++
> NetBSD/sgimips 4.0.0_PATCH Bootstrap, Revision 1.2
> (builds <at> wb24, Tue May  6 03:51:34 PDT 2008)
> 
> devopen: pci(0)scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(0) type scsi file netbsd
> 3314352+192508 [187408+179270]=0x3b1ed0
> [ Kernel symbol table missing! ]
> panic: ip32 supports serial console only.  sorry.
> nullvoid
> Stopped in pid 0.1 () at        0x882c0774:     jr      ra
>                 bdslot: nop
> db>
> ++++++++
> 
> The problem is that the system IS on a serial console: I've done the
> entire installation and reboot process over Serial1, and everything
> goes swimmingly up to that point. I've tried this with 4.0-RELEASE and
> 4.0-CURRENT (the snapshot posted above), and get exactly the same
> results both times. Anyone seen this?
> 
> Happy to post hinv/printenv if it'll help!
(Continue reading)

Stephen M. Rumble | 10 May 04:39 2008
Picon
Picon

Re: O2 post-install boot: Requires serial console, is already on one

Quoting Jos Purvis <jos <at> melete.org>:

> [Resending due to accidental HTML formatting]
>
> Hi, gang,
>
> Dusting off an O2/5000 here, and having some trouble trying to get
> NetBSD running on it. The installation process goes like clockwork:
> perfect CDROM boot, disk partitioned, packages installed happily. When
> the system boots, though, I get this:
> ++++++++
> NetBSD/sgimips 4.0.0_PATCH Bootstrap, Revision 1.2
> (builds <at> wb24, Tue May  6 03:51:34 PDT 2008)
>
> devopen: pci(0)scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(0) type scsi file netbsd
> 3314352+192508 [187408+179270]=0x3b1ed0
> [ Kernel symbol table missing! ]
> panic: ip32 supports serial console only.  sorry.

You're more than likely booting the GENERIC_IP2x kernel, rather than  
_IP3x. This is due to a bug in sysinst that was fixed post-4.0.

You can either try -current, or when installing 4.0 be sure to  
manually select the GENERIC_IP3x kernel (sysinst will have chosen the  
wrong one). You may need to do a custom install to get the appropriate  
dialog.

Steve

(Continue reading)

Jos Purvis | 10 May 04:48 2008

Re: O2 post-install boot: Requires serial console, is already on one

Thanks! That was exactly it. A little fiddling with the custom
installs, and I'm up and running on an IP32 kernel.

Cheers,

Jos

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 10:39 PM, Stephen M. Rumble
<stephen.rumble <at> utoronto.ca> wrote:
> Quoting Jos Purvis <jos <at> melete.org>:
>
>> [Resending due to accidental HTML formatting]
>>
>> Hi, gang,
>>
>> Dusting off an O2/5000 here, and having some trouble trying to get
>> NetBSD running on it. The installation process goes like clockwork:
>> perfect CDROM boot, disk partitioned, packages installed happily. When
>> the system boots, though, I get this:
>> ++++++++
>> NetBSD/sgimips 4.0.0_PATCH Bootstrap, Revision 1.2
>> (builds <at> wb24, Tue May  6 03:51:34 PDT 2008)
>>
>> devopen: pci(0)scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(0) type scsi file netbsd
>> 3314352+192508 [187408+179270]=0x3b1ed0
>> [ Kernel symbol table missing! ]
>> panic: ip32 supports serial console only.  sorry.
>
> You're more than likely booting the GENERIC_IP2x kernel, rather than _IP3x.
> This is due to a bug in sysinst that was fixed post-4.0.
(Continue reading)

Audio Marketing | 22 May 00:52 2008

adicionar áudio mensagens de voz

adicionar áudio mensagens de voz, som em flash inserir som, voz música áudio 
marketing inserir som, inserir som O Áudio Marketing 10.com, Web Audio Plus Narração 
para sites, Narração para sites inserir som, adicionar áudio mensagens de voz, 
site com som como colocar audio em sites.

Visite: 
http://www.audiomarketing10.com

inserir som mensagens de voz, mensagens de voz inserir som, software para inserir 
áudio em sites narração fala, narração de audio em sites O Áudio Marketing 10.com, 
Web Audio Plus mensagens de voz, narração fala inserir som, áudio no site audio 
no site. narração de audio em sites audio no site

Visite: 
http://www.audiomarketing10.com

narração de audio em sites audio no site som em flash inserir som, voz música 
áudio marketing inserir som, inserir som O Áudio Marketing 10.com, Web Audio 
Plus Narração para sites, Narração para sites inserir som, adicionar áudio mensagens 
de voz, site com som como colocar audio em sites. inserir som mensagens de voz, 
mensagens de voz inserir som, software para inserir áudio em sites narração fala, 
narração de audio em sites O Áudio Marketing 10.com, Web Audio Plus mensagens 
de voz, narração fala inserir som, áudio no site audio no site.

Stephen Borrill | 27 May 12:36 2008
Picon

Is this SGI kit worth getting?

I've been offered an O2, an Octane and 3 Indys. The O2 is a no-brainer 
especially with the recent framebuffer changes. It'll be a worthwhile 
replacement for my Indigo2. However, I see the Octane is not supported and 
the Indys (while cute) aren't exactly the fastest machines.

Is the Octane ever likely to be supported?

--

-- 
Stephen

Michael Lorenz | 27 May 14:56 2008
Picon

Re: Is this SGI kit worth getting?


Hello,

On May 27, 2008, at 06:36, Stephen Borrill wrote:

> I've been offered an O2, an Octane and 3 Indys. The O2 is a no- 
> brainer especially with the recent framebuffer changes. It'll be a  
> worthwhile replacement for my Indigo2. However, I see the Octane is  
> not supported and the Indys (while cute) aren't exactly the fastest  
> machines.
>
> Is the Octane ever likely to be supported?

In theory it's a pretty close relative of the O2 although we're not  
all that likely to ever be able to support whatever graphics board  
you stick into it. There's a Linux driver for IMPACT boards in I2s,  
no idea how useful that would be for the Octane ( or if you even have  
an IMPACT or something completely different )

Reminds me, I need to commit more XFree86-on-O2 stuff. It still has  
issues but it works well enough to use KDE or gnome without major  
issues and it uses the rendering engine for almost all XRender  
operations.

have fun
Michael

Stephen M. Rumble | 27 May 16:32 2008
Picon
Picon

Re: Is this SGI kit worth getting?

Quoting Stephen Borrill <netbsd <at> precedence.co.uk>:

> I've been offered an O2, an Octane and 3 Indys. The O2 is a no-brainer
> especially with the recent framebuffer changes. It'll be a worthwhile
> replacement for my Indigo2. However, I see the Octane is not supported
> and the Indys (while cute) aren't exactly the fastest machines.

Indys are pretty well-supported, though. They make reasonable  
low-traffic servers.

> Is the Octane ever likely to be supported?

OpenBSD has been growing some support for it lately and there's been  
experimental bits in Linux for a while. The big problem is that we  
don't have 64-bit MIPS support.

Steve

Greg Matthews | 29 May 14:31 2008
Picon

Re: Is this SGI kit worth getting?

Stephen Borrill wrote:
> I've been offered an O2, an Octane and 3 Indys. The O2 is a no-brainer 
> especially with the recent framebuffer changes. It'll be a worthwhile 
> replacement for my Indigo2. However, I see the Octane is not supported 
> and the Indys (while cute) aren't exactly the fastest machines.

might be worth checking if the indys have the (somewhat rare) 24 bit 
graphics card. If nothing else you could probably ebay any 24 bit card 
and possibly any SGI memory (hens teeth).

> 
> Is the Octane ever likely to be supported?
> 

-- 
Greg Matthews           01491 692445
Head of UNIX/Linux, iTSS Wallingford

--

-- 
This message (and any attachments) is for the recipient only. NERC
is subject to the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and the contents
of this email and any reply you make may be disclosed by NERC unless
it is exempt from release under the Act. Any material supplied to
NERC may be stored in an electronic records management system.

Stephen Borrill | 29 May 18:08 2008
Picon

Re: Is this SGI kit worth getting?

On Thu, 29 May 2008, Greg Matthews wrote:
> Stephen Borrill wrote:
>> I've been offered an O2, an Octane and 3 Indys. The O2 is a no-brainer 
>> especially with the recent framebuffer changes. It'll be a worthwhile 
>> replacement for my Indigo2. However, I see the Octane is not supported and 
>> the Indys (while cute) aren't exactly the fastest machines.
>
> might be worth checking if the indys have the (somewhat rare) 24 bit graphics 
> card. If nothing else you could probably ebay any 24 bit card and possibly 
> any SGI memory (hens teeth).

I know they don't have 24-bit graphics. I was a student in the Uni Dept 
I'm getting them from when they were first bought (back when I was vey 
young!).

But yes, accumulating RAM is always a good idea.

--

-- 
Stephen


Gmane