Re: install NetBSD on Synology DS-106j ?
Toru Nishimura <locore64 <at> alkyltechnology.com>
2008-07-22 01:27:34 GMT
Joel CARNAT asked;
> What would be the procedure to install NetBSD
> on the Synology DS-106j ?
1. to establish the way for build-and-try development cycle first,
2. and sweat and patience until your belief gets rewarded.
There is a choice among how to approach kernel testing.
- use RedBoot to NetBSD kernel network downloading,
- use intermediate LIBSA NFS bootloader to load NetBSD.
- optionally, replace RedBoot with U-Boot before to go
I recommend the LIBSA way. The NFS bootloader can
provide sane "pre-boot" environment tailoured for NetBSD
kernel. It will fill the voids and gaps which RedBoot and/or
U-Boot make (they both are more-or-less Linux centric),
and hand bootinfo for NetBSD kernel. Please take a glance
at sandpoint/stand/netboot/ directory. You need to make
Marvel NIC driver.
Once build-and-download cycle gets on track, I would expect
little trouble to complete GENERIC_NAS sandpoint kernel
for the Synology producs.
Toru Nishimura / ALKYL Technology