Andy Ball | 1 May 01:27 2006
Picon
Picon

Partitioning


Hello,

I'm having another go at installing NetBSD/macppc-2.1 on my aging
iBook ("P1" bondi clamshell), this time armed with the appropriate
INSTALL.html.  I have an existing 20 Mbyte partition that I created
using another operating system and (as seems to be suggested by the
NetBSD install notes) I've created a swap partition and a combined
root & usr partition (both Apple_UNIX_SVR2, SFS and UFS respectively).
Here's my pmap...

          Start        End     Length Use
      ~~~~~~~~~  ~~~~~~~~~  ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              1         63         63 Partition map
             64     41,023     40,960 Boot (hfs+)
         41,024    565,311    524,288 Swap
        565,312  6,357,455  5,792,144 / (/usr will be a directory)

disklabel suggests that the large partition is wd0g, but when I try to
create an ffs filesystem on it, I get the following error...

     newfs: ioctl (WDINFO): Invalid argument
     newfs: /dev/wd0g: can't rewrite disk label

...which I suppose is understandable since the install notes suggest
that OpenFirmware 3 is fundementally incompatible with a NetBSD disk
-label. Should I feed a different device name to newfs?  If so, how do
I determine which I should use?  Should I use something other than
newfs to make the filesystem?  Helpful advice would be most welcome.

(Continue reading)

CVD Groups | 1 May 02:16 2006

iNode issues

Hi all,

So, I'm a BSD/Unix/Command-line newbie.  A while back I put NetBSD 2 on 
my powermac 8500.  Things were fun for a while, but then I started 
getting inode issues when using pkgsrc.  I didn't know what inodes 
were, so I finally hunkered down today and found out.

Turns out I goofed when installing NetBSD.  df reveals two partitions: 
root on /dev/sda, and kernfs.  and on root, 99% of inodes have been 
used up.  It went down to 97% after I removed a bunch of packages.  I'm 
assuming that swap just isn't being listed here.

So, I figure I have two options: find a way to reformat/repartition the 
hard drive and do something so that it has more inodes, or reinstall 
NetBSD.  I'm fine with the former as there's nothing on the system now 
anyway.  I'm not so cool with the latter.

Or... I could just start deleting stuff.  /usr/pkgsrc seems to be the 
big winner in most amount of files, so I suppose I could delete that 
and use pkg_add whenever I wanted something.  All I really want is 
Gnustep, Netatalk, TightVNC, and a couple other things.  Aside from 
experimentation, I can't think of much I'd use an old 8500 for.

Below is a list of the biggest folders.  Any advice or comments would 
be welcome.

5.1M    /netbsd
2.9M    /rescue
3.5M    /etc/mtree
3.2M    /sbin
(Continue reading)

Peter Seebach | 1 May 05:23 2006
Picon

Re: iNode issues

In message <cad3ce79d9abe6adf2c82359cd75437e <at> customvisualdesigns.com>, CVD Grou
ps writes:
>So, I figure I have two options: find a way to reformat/repartition the 
>hard drive and do something so that it has more inodes, or reinstall 
>NetBSD.  I'm fine with the former as there's nothing on the system now 
>anyway.  I'm not so cool with the latter.

You're probably stuck with something close to the latter, because
repartitioning tends to involve reinstalls.  At least for a newbie.

>Or... I could just start deleting stuff.  /usr/pkgsrc seems to be the 
>big winner in most amount of files, so I suppose I could delete that 
>and use pkg_add whenever I wanted something.  All I really want is 
>Gnustep, Netatalk, TightVNC, and a couple other things.  Aside from 
>experimentation, I can't think of much I'd use an old 8500 for.

Start by looking at 'df -i'.  The question is not just which directories
have the most files; it's which directories *in /* have the most files.  On
most NetBSD installs, /usr is a separate partition... But /var sometimes
isn't.

My solution is to move everything from /var into /usr/var, and create a
symlink pointing /var to /usr/var.  Add "critical_filesystems_local=/usr" to
/etc/rc.conf and it should work fine.

-s

CVD Groups | 1 May 22:49 2006

Re: iNode issues

Well,

I did as you suggested, but I also clearly did something very wrong all 
on my own.  I apparently mistyped something because now everything in 
/var is gone except for yp.  The only way to connect to the machine now 
is via a ZTerm console as ssh can't find the the files it needs in /var 
(or /usr/var as it is now).  So maybe reinstalling is the best idea, 
after all.

Assuming that's true, do I just "shutdown -h now" and tell OF to load 
from an install CD, or do I go through the process from scratch?

And what about disklabel and newfs?  Are these things I should be 
looking into either of these?

Erik

On Apr 30, 2006, at 8:23 PM, Peter Seebach wrote:

> My solution is to move everything from /var into /usr/var, and create a
> symlink pointing /var to /usr/var.  Add 
> "critical_filesystems_local=/usr" to
> /etc/rc.conf and it should work fine.
>
> -s
>
>

Miguel Mendez | 2 May 17:47 2006
Picon

serial console beige G3 installation

Hi there,

I've seen some cheap beige G3 PowerMacs on Ebay and will probably get
one. The computer doesn't come with a keyboard. Apparently OFW will
default to serial console in the absence of a keyboard. The box has
some version of OS9 installed. What I'd like to do is netboot the box
and install NetBSD 3.0 on it doing everything via the serial console.

Does anyone have experiences on beige G3 boxen and NetBSD?

Cheers.
--

-- 
Miguel Mendez	<mmendez <at> energyhq.be> 
http://www.energyhq.be
PGP Key: 0xDC8514F1

Mityok | 2 May 18:55 2006
Picon

Re: serial console beige G3 installation

Hi, Miguel.
I did install NetBSD 2.0.2 (sorry, not 3.0) on my beige G3 and i use
it as a file server with Samba 3. I even put the Promise ATA/66 card
inside and it works fine (the original plan was to install the RAID 0
with vinum but there was no time so far).
I did not use the netboot - I used the CD-ROM booting.
The only thing I did not do is using serial console (I was more lucky
and I had the keyboard - BTW, OFW of my G3 was set to the screen for
some reason - i do not know why).
I hope it helped.
Sincerely, Dmitry

You wrote Tuesday, May 02, 2006, 7:47:50 PM:

> Hi there,

> I've seen some cheap beige G3 PowerMacs on Ebay and will probably get
> one. The computer doesn't come with a keyboard. Apparently OFW will
> default to serial console in the absence of a keyboard. The box has
> some version of OS9 installed. What I'd like to do is netboot the box
> and install NetBSD 3.0 on it doing everything via the serial console.

> Does anyone have experiences on beige G3 boxen and NetBSD?

> Cheers.

--

-- 
Sincerely,
 Mityok                          mailto: press Reply button

(Continue reading)

Chris Tribo | 2 May 18:59 2006

Re: serial console beige G3 installation


On May 2, 2006, at 11:47 AM, Miguel Mendez wrote:

> Does anyone have experiences on beige G3 boxen and NetBSD?

Yes

Wojciech Gałązka | 4 May 10:30 2006
Picon

RE: serial console beige G3 installation


> -----Original Message-----
> From: port-macppc-owner <at> NetBSD.org 
> [mailto:port-macppc-owner <at> NetBSD.org] On Behalf Of Mityok
> Sent: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 6:56 PM

> Subject: Re: serial console beige G3 installation
> 
> Hi, Miguel.
> I did install NetBSD 2.0.2 (sorry, not 3.0) on my beige G3 
> and i use it as a file server with Samba 3. I even put the 
> Promise ATA/66 card inside and it works fine (the original 
> plan was to install the RAID 0 with vinum but there was no 
> time so far).
> I did not use the netboot - I used the CD-ROM booting.

Hi,
How were you able to boot beige g3, an oldworld mac off CD?

John | 4 May 14:12 2006

Re: serial console beige G3 installation

You could easily get a keyboard for less than the computer (at least in 
the USA). As for serial, those can be somewhat more difficult to come by 
although the pinouts are well documented so you can probably make your 
own.

-John

On Tue, 2 May 2006, Miguel Mendez wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I've seen some cheap beige G3 PowerMacs on Ebay and will probably get
> one. The computer doesn't come with a keyboard. Apparently OFW will
> default to serial console in the absence of a keyboard. The box has
> some version of OS9 installed. What I'd like to do is netboot the box
> and install NetBSD 3.0 on it doing everything via the serial console.
>
> Does anyone have experiences on beige G3 boxen and NetBSD?
>
> Cheers.
> -- 
> Miguel Mendez	<mmendez <at> energyhq.be>
> http://www.energyhq.be
> PGP Key: 0xDC8514F1
>
>

Chris Tribo | 4 May 15:15 2006

Re: serial console beige G3 installation

Probably by remaking the ISO as non-hybrid or using the unofficial  
2.x ISO I made that will boot on old world machines.

On May 4, 2006, at 4:30 AM, Wojciech Gałązka wrote:

>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: port-macppc-owner <at> NetBSD.org
>> [mailto:port-macppc-owner <at> NetBSD.org] On Behalf Of Mityok
>> Sent: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 6:56 PM
>
>> Subject: Re: serial console beige G3 installation
>>
>> Hi, Miguel.
>> I did install NetBSD 2.0.2 (sorry, not 3.0) on my beige G3
>> and i use it as a file server with Samba 3. I even put the
>> Promise ATA/66 card inside and it works fine (the original
>> plan was to install the RAID 0 with vinum but there was no
>> time so far).
>> I did not use the netboot - I used the CD-ROM booting.
>
> Hi,
> How were you able to boot beige g3, an oldworld mac off CD?
>
> !DSPAM:4459bbc2280321971715777!
>
>
>

(Continue reading)


Gmane