Jeff Rizzo | 1 Sep 08:32 2002
Picon
Picon

HPT IDE controllers working on macppc?

I'm trying to use a SIIG  UDMA/66 board I pulled from a netbsd/i386
box in my macppc box running 1.6_RC2:

pciide0 at pci0 dev 15 function 0: Triones/Highpoint HPT366 IDE Controller
pciide0: bus-master DMA support present                                   
pciide0: primary channel wired to native-PCI mode
pciide0: using irq 25 for native-PCI interrupt   
wd0 at pciide0 channel 0 drive 0: <IC35L120AVVA07-0>
wd0: drive supports 16-sector PIO transfers, LBA addressing
wd0: 115 GB, 16383 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 241254720 sectors
wd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 5 (Ultra/100)   
wd0(pciide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 4 (Ultra/66) (using DMA data transfers)
pciide1 at pci0 dev 15 function 1: Triones/Highpoint HPT366 IDE Controller
pciide1: bus-master DMA support present                                   
pciide1: primary channel wired to native-PCI mode
pciide1: using irq 25 for native-PCI interrupt   

When I try to access it, though, the whole system hangs:

mac# disklabel wd0
pciide0:0:0: lost interrupt
        type: ata tc_bcount: 512 tc_skip: 0
pciide0:0:0: bus-master DMA error: missing interrupt, status=0x21

[dead from here out... network doesn't work, have to crash the
machine ]

Has anybody else had any success with this controller on a mac?

Thanks! (full dmesg follows)
(Continue reading)

Russell McManus | 1 Sep 20:54 2002
Picon

getting better throughput from mc0 ethernet interface


I've got 1.5.2 installed on a powermac 7300.  Most things are working
beautifully, but I seem to be getting very slow downloads.  I suspect
that the problem is that the mc0 interface is simplex.

/export/russe 2$ ifconfig  mc0
ifconfig  mc0
mc0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        address: 00:05:02:ce:73:66
        media: Ethernet manual
        inet 192.168.1.3 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
        inet6 fe80::205:2ff:fece:7366%mc0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1

The machine is behind a Linksys firewall/router.  I suspect that the
router is not smart enough to do the right thing when a simplex client
is attached.  Does anyone on the list have any ideas on how to debug
the problem?

Here is some wget output:

/export/russe 19$ wget ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/tar_files/pkgsrc.tar.gz
--14:37:03--  ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/tar_files/pkgsrc.tar.gz
           => `pkgsrc.tar.gz'
Connecting to ftp.netbsd.org:21... connected!
Logging in as anonymous ... Logged in!
==> SYST ... done.    ==> PWD ... done.
==> TYPE I ... done.  ==> CWD /pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/tar_files ... done.
==> EPRT ...
Invalid EPRT.
==> PORT ... done.    ==> RETR pkgsrc.tar.gz ... done.
(Continue reading)

Rémi Zara | 1 Sep 22:25 2002
Picon

Re: Trying to boot a PM7200


Hi,

I'm not an expert at all at kernel programing, nor at powerpc assembly 
(I'm a total newbie for both).
But it seems to me that the first file to look at is:
syssrc/sys/arch/macppc/stand/ofwboot/Locore.c
as this looks like the first code that is executed.
But it manipulates right away bat registers, which of course are 
specific on the 601.
Could a charitable person comment on the asm in this file so that can 
figure out what it does exactly ? (and then read further in the PowerPC 
601 user manual...)

Thanks again,

Rémi Zara

Le samedi, 31 aoû 2002, à 23:45 Europe/Paris, Rémi Zara a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> First let me say that I know that this model is unsupported (at the 
> moment that is :-)
>
> But since Klaus klein has been working on MPC601 support and said to 
> me in february that it was kinda working for the RS6000, I thought it 
> could be worth to try.
>
> <..>
(Continue reading)

John D Smerdon | 1 Sep 23:34 2002
Picon
Picon

Re: getting better throughput from mc0 ethernet interface (fwd)

At 05:20 PM 9/1/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>I've got 1.5.2 installed on a powermac 7300.  Most things are working
>beautifully, but I seem to be getting very slow downloads.  I suspect
>that the problem is that the mc0 interface is simplex.

I have a 7300/200 also running 1.5.2.

My mc0 interface is connected to a 100Mb/full ethernet switch but it 
negotiated 10Mb/half.

I get ftp file transfers of 870 - 930 KB on the ethernet network, which is 
within 70 or 80% of the 10Mb ethernet limit.

Have you tried ftp instead of wget?

Russell McManus | 1 Sep 23:52 2002
Picon

Re: getting better throughput from mc0 ethernet interface (fwd)


I have just tried to fetch a couple of files via ftp, and I'm getting
about 1.3 KB /sec, so the problem also shows up when downloading via
ftp.

-russ

John D Smerdon <jds <at> smerdon.livonia.mi.us> writes:

> At 05:20 PM 9/1/2002 -0400, you wrote:
> >I've got 1.5.2 installed on a powermac 7300.  Most things are working
> >beautifully, but I seem to be getting very slow downloads.  I suspect
> >that the problem is that the mc0 interface is simplex.
> 
> I have a 7300/200 also running 1.5.2.
> 
> My mc0 interface is connected to a 100Mb/full ethernet switch but it
> negotiated 10Mb/half.
> 
> I get ftp file transfers of 870 - 930 KB on the ethernet network,
> which is within 70 or 80% of the 10Mb ethernet limit.
> 
> Have you tried ftp instead of wget?

Bill Studenmund | 2 Sep 01:21 2002
Picon

Re: getting better throughput from mc0 ethernet interface

On 1 Sep 2002, Russell McManus wrote:

> I've got 1.5.2 installed on a powermac 7300.  Most things are working
> beautifully, but I seem to be getting very slow downloads.  I suspect
> that the problem is that the mc0 interface is simplex.

Nope. That speed is REALLY slow, and something is wrong, but SIMPLEX isn't
it. Rummaging around in include files (/usr/include/net/if.h to be exact)
we find:

#define IFF_SIMPLEX     0x0800          /* can't hear own transmissions */

That tells the Ethernet system to fake a packet reception when we send a
packet that we really want to hear (like a broadcast packet).

> /export/russe 2$ ifconfig  mc0
> ifconfig  mc0
> mc0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         address: 00:05:02:ce:73:66
>         media: Ethernet manual
>         inet 192.168.1.3 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
>         inet6 fe80::205:2ff:fece:7366%mc0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
>
> The machine is behind a Linksys firewall/router.  I suspect that the
> router is not smart enough to do the right thing when a simplex client
> is attached.  Does anyone on the list have any ideas on how to debug
> the problem?

Try ftp'ing to the i386 box, and see how that does.

(Continue reading)

Russell McManus | 2 Sep 02:02 2002
Picon

Re: getting better throughput from mc0 ethernet interface


Bill-

Thanks for taking the time to respond.  Good idea to test transfers
behind the firewall.  Turns out that things are slow there as well[1].

I will try swapping network cables between the 7300 and the Linksys to
see whether this helps.

-russ

[1] As I mentioned earlier, other machines from behind the firewall
can download at expected speeds.

Bill Studenmund <wrstuden <at> netbsd.org> writes:

> On 1 Sep 2002, Russell McManus wrote:
> 
> > I've got 1.5.2 installed on a powermac 7300.  Most things are working
> > beautifully, but I seem to be getting very slow downloads.  I suspect
> > that the problem is that the mc0 interface is simplex.
> 
> Nope. That speed is REALLY slow, and something is wrong, but SIMPLEX isn't
> it. Rummaging around in include files (/usr/include/net/if.h to be exact)
> we find:
> 
> #define IFF_SIMPLEX     0x0800          /* can't hear own transmissions */
> 
> That tells the Ethernet system to fake a packet reception when we send a
> packet that we really want to hear (like a broadcast packet).
(Continue reading)

Russell McManus | 2 Sep 03:31 2002
Picon

Re: getting better throughput from mc0 ethernet interface


I tried connecting a different network cable between the 7300 and the
router, with no improvement.

-russ

Russell McManus <russell_mcmanus <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> Thanks for taking the time to respond.  Good idea to test transfers
> behind the firewall.  Turns out that things are slow there as well[1].
> 
> I will try swapping network cables between the 7300 and the Linksys to
> see whether this helps.
> 
> -russ
> 
> 
> [1] As I mentioned earlier, other machines from behind the firewall
> can download at expected speeds.
> 
> 
> Bill Studenmund <wrstuden <at> netbsd.org> writes:
> 
> > On 1 Sep 2002, Russell McManus wrote:
> > 
> > > I've got 1.5.2 installed on a powermac 7300.  Most things are working
> > > beautifully, but I seem to be getting very slow downloads.  I suspect
> > > that the problem is that the mc0 interface is simplex.
> > 
> > Nope. That speed is REALLY slow, and something is wrong, but SIMPLEX isn't
(Continue reading)

Rich Noonan | 3 Sep 00:09 2002

OF trouble on 7500

New user here.  Feel like I saw this discussed in a doc somewhere when I 
started this project, but now I can't find it.  Apologies in advance if this 
is covered...

System is a 7500 long ago upgraded with a 604 from a 9500.  Works fine under 
OS9.  I applied the patch to System Disk, set to boot to OF, and hit save.  
The system comes up and seems to sync video just fine, but I only get the 
white screen.  No text, no prompt.  I have not attempted going over serial as 
I'm anticipating needing X on this system and would prefer to get this sorted 
out.  Any suggestions no what to try next?

Thanks-
Rich Noonan

Juergen Tritthardt | 3 Sep 00:18 2002
Picon

Re: OF trouble on 7500

On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, Rich Noonan wrote:
> 
> System is a 7500 long ago upgraded with a 604 from a 9500.  Works fine under 
> OS9.  I applied the patch to System Disk, set to boot to OF, and hit save.  
> The system comes up and seems to sync video just fine, but I only get the 
> white screen.  No text, no prompt.  I have not attempted going over serial as 
> I'm anticipating needing X on this system and would prefer to get this sorted 
> out.  Any suggestions no what to try next?

Did you set output device to "/chaos/control" in "System Disk"?

	Regards
        Jürgen
--

-- 
Jürgen Tritthardt              Max-Planck-Institut für med. Forschung
Tel. 06221/486279                          Abt. Biomedizinische Optik
Fax. 06221/486225                       Jahnstr. 29, 69120 Heidelberg


Gmane