Martin Lucina | 4 Feb 19:43 2010
Picon

Help needed installing on a HP Jornada 728

Hello!

I have a HP Jornada 728 lying here collecting dust which I'd like to use
for porting some apps to ARM, and generally for anything else useful which
WinCE is not.

Unfortunately it seems nigh on impossible to install NetBSD on a CF card
for use with the Jornada if all you have around are Linux boxes :-(

I downloaded the Jibbed NetBSD 5.0.1 LiveCD in the hope that this would
help, only to discover that it's kernel doesn't include support for CF
cards.  Tried using a vnd(4) device to create a CF card image but either I
don't understand BSD disklabels well enough or there's something wonky with
how they interact with vnd(4) -- I was not able to get a sane disklabel to
show up on the vnd(4) device and newfs_msdos kept insisting that it was
creating a partition spanning the entire device.

Several hours and no success later, I'm pretty much ready to give up,
unless I can get some help here :-)

I'd like to ask if someone would be so kind as to create an image of a 512M
CF card with NetBSD for the Jornada 728 installed on it and put it up for
download somewhere. The card I have is a SanDisk SDCFB-512, with a geometry
of:

Disk /dev/sdc: 512 MB, 512483328 bytes
16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 993 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 = 516096 bytes

Thanks!
(Continue reading)

Alexander Frolkin | 4 Feb 23:07 2010
Picon

Re: Help needed installing on a HP Jornada 728

Hi,

> Unfortunately it seems nigh on impossible to install NetBSD on a CF card
> for use with the Jornada if all you have around are Linux boxes :-(

I posted my method of installation a while back:

  http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-hpcarm/2008/11/26/msg000055.html

This way, you only need to make a DOS partition while the CF card is in
your Linux box, you don't need to worry about disklabels since you'll
create these when installing on the Jornada.

The only part I'm not sure about is whether Linux will be able to
loopback-mount miniroot.fs, but I suspect it's possible to make that
work.  If not, you should be able to do it with a NetBSD live CD.

> Tried using a vnd(4) device to create a CF card image but either I
> don't understand BSD disklabels well enough or there's something wonky
> with how they interact with vnd(4)

I suspect what you might be missing is that you need to create a DOS
partition table and put the BSD disklabel inside one of the partitions.
You'll also want to have a small DOS partition (slice, in disklabel
terminology) for the kernel and bootloader --- this will show up as
something like partition i.

Alex

--

-- 
(Continue reading)

Martin Lucina | 5 Feb 00:46 2010
Picon

Re: Help needed installing on a HP Jornada 728

Hi,

avf <at> eldamar.org.uk said:
> I posted my method of installation a while back:
> 
>   http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-hpcarm/2008/11/26/msg000055.html

That worked for me, thanks!

> The only part I'm not sure about is whether Linux will be able to
> loopback-mount miniroot.fs, but I suspect it's possible to make that
> work.  If not, you should be able to do it with a NetBSD live CD.

I managed to mount miniroot.fs ok after figuring out the magic "-o
ufstype=44bsd" required. The rest was mostly easy, just needed to figure
out the options for dnsmasq on the WRT54GL:

dhcp-boot=/doesntmatter,server-name,server-ip-address
dhcp-option=17,"/path/to/miniroot"

> I suspect what you might be missing is that you need to create a DOS
> partition table and put the BSD disklabel inside one of the partitions.
> You'll also want to have a small DOS partition (slice, in disklabel
> terminology) for the kernel and bootloader --- this will show up as
> something like partition i.

Yeah, I tried to do that but I don't entirely understand the relationship
between what's in the disklabel that disklabel(8) sees, what's in the MBR
partition table that fdisk(8) sees and how one affects the other.

(Continue reading)

Martin Lucina | 5 Feb 01:37 2010
Picon

Re: Help needed installing on a HP Jornada 728

mato <at> kotelna.sk said:
> Anyway, it's installing now. Thanks again!

One more thing. This is a Jornada 728, which has 64MB of RAM as opposed to
the 32MB.

Any suggestions on how to force the kernel to believe there is 64MB of RAM.
Does NetBSD have some similar override like the Linux mem=XXX parameter?

If not, I guess I'll have to go patch some code...

-mato

Valeriy E. Ushakov | 5 Feb 01:45 2010
Picon

Re: Help needed installing on a HP Jornada 728

On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 01:37:45 +0100, Martin Lucina wrote:

> One more thing. This is a Jornada 728, which has 64MB of RAM as opposed to
> the 32MB.
> 
> Any suggestions on how to force the kernel to believe there is 64MB of RAM.
> Does NetBSD have some similar override like the Linux mem=XXX parameter?

There's a kernel DRAM_PAGES option.  For an example see
hpcarm/conf/JORNADA728 config:

include "arch/hpcarm/conf/JORNADA720"
options         DRAM_PAGES=16384        # 64 MB of memory is standard

SY, Uwe
--

-- 
uwe <at> stderr.spb.ru                       |       Zu Grunde kommen
http://snark.ptc.spbu.ru/~uwe/          |       Ist zu Grunde gehen

Emanuele Santoro | 20 Feb 14:42 2010

Linksys wpc11 rev3 not working

Hello there port-hpcarm folks.
I've given my jornada another try this morning at school (damnit, i
*want* to stay online also when i'm at school), got my linksys WPC11
rev3 card and plugged it into the jornada (who is running NetBSD
5.0.1_PATCH). 

The card is driven by the wi driver.

No strange dmesg message appeared, card gets recognized and configured
properly (device is created, it's configurable) and even leds work (I
can turn leds and the card itself on and off doing ifconfig wi
up/down).

Problems come when i try to connect to a network: firstly, typing a
simple:

root <at> jordana ~ # ifconfig wi0 list scan

enters in a sort of sleep state: ifconfig runs, no output is
displayed, no input is accepted. I can only kill the command doing
C-c. 

Secondly, also detecting the net from an external host (and the
configuring networking with something like ifconfig wi0 ssid
"a_network") leads to nothing. Configuration works (ifconfig seems to
work properly, but i can't get any sort of ping answer - and yes,
settings are correct, i use same settings on my other linux laptop).

Any hints ?
Thanks for them in advance :)
(Continue reading)


Gmane