Mike Hebel | 7 Oct 13:47 2008

SoundBlaster Live! on Qube2 - Solved.

I finally got mp3s to play out of my Qube2 last night on a customized
NetBSD 4.0 kernel after jumping through a few hoops.

1) I had to obviously add this to the kernel config file:

audio*          at audiobus?

emuxki*         at pci? dev ? function ?        # SB Live EMU entry

(MPU and opl won't bind to the emuxki entry so I left them out.)

2) Then I had to add these lines to the majors.cobalt file:

device-major    audio           char 42                 audio
device-major    midi            char 58                 midi

3) Then I added this to MAKEDEV below the original audio line and then
specifically issue a ./MAKEDEV audio command:

audio*)
        unit=${i#audio}
        audio=audio$unit
        sound=sound$unit
        mixer=mixer$unit
        audioctl=audioctl$unit
        : ${unit:-0}
        mkdev $sound    c 42 $(($unit + 0))     666
        mkdev $audio    c 42 $(($unit + 128))   666
        mkdev $mixer    c 42 $(($unit + 16))    666
        mkdev $audioctl c 42 $(($unit + 192))   666
(Continue reading)

Mike Hebel | 7 Oct 20:21 2008

Compiling kernel for Qube2700WG?

Since I've already got my Qube2 set up to build a proper kernel can I just
make anew copy of the kernel config, disable the com entry, and make one
for the older Qube?  (I've already trimmed a lot of cruft out of my
existing config.)

Or is there something else I need to do?

Also once the kernel is built is it possible to just insert it into a
fresh .iso of the current restore CD and get a proper netboot install for
that box?

I'm new to cross-compiling things...
--

-- 
Mike Hebel

There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.
		-- Dr. Who

Andy Ruhl | 7 Oct 20:37 2008
Picon

Re: Compiling kernel for Qube2700WG?

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 11:21 AM, Mike Hebel <nimitz <at> nimitzbrood.com> wrote:
> Also once the kernel is built is it possible to just insert it into a
> fresh .iso of the current restore CD and get a proper netboot install for
> that box?

I haven't done my homework so this could be a stupid question:

Doesn't the restore CD support those? If not, why not?

Before the restore CD existed, I had pretty good luck just making a
filesystem on a disk from another NetBSD box and booting it from that.
I imagine the same can be done with the 2700.

Andy

Mike Hebel | 7 Oct 20:42 2008

Re: Compiling kernel for Qube2700WG?


A talking watermelon whispered a message to me from: Andy Ruhl
> On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 11:21 AM, Mike Hebel <nimitz <at> nimitzbrood.com>
> wrote:
>> Also once the kernel is built is it possible to just insert it into a
>> fresh .iso of the current restore CD and get a proper netboot install
>> for
>> that box?
>
> I haven't done my homework so this could be a stupid question:
>
> Doesn't the restore CD support those? If not, why not?

The restore CD doesn't work for the original Qube 1 models (2700) because
they don't have a serial console among other things.  IIRC they also need
the kernel to be below a certain size.  They fail immediately after
netboot.

> Before the restore CD existed, I had pretty good luck just making a
> filesystem on a disk from another NetBSD box and booting it from that.
> I imagine the same can be done with the 2700.

That was actually my plan but I have to make a kernel that isn't going to
have a serial console in it.

Can you just do like you would with some other O/S installs and expand all
the sets on to the disk using tar?
--

-- 
Mike Hebel

(Continue reading)

Mike Hebel | 7 Oct 20:48 2008

Re: Compiling kernel for Qube2700WG?


A talking watermelon whispered a message to me from: Maxim Belooussov
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 8:21 PM, Mike Hebel <nimitz <at> nimitzbrood.com> wrote:
>> Since I've already got my Qube2 set up to build a proper kernel can I
>> just
>> make anew copy of the kernel config, disable the com entry, and make one
>> for the older Qube?  (I've already trimmed a lot of cruft out of my
>> existing config.)
>>
>> Or is there something else I need to do?
>
>
> Why do you want to compile your own kernel? The generic isn't good enough?

I didn't think the GENERIC kernel would work for the original Qube because
of the serial console issue.  Besides - I really don't need SCSI support
or a bunch of other things on that box.  Just USB drive support and things
like samba, etc.

As I stated though the restore cd doesn't work with those boxes.  (I just
tried the 4.0 restore cd the other day.)

Huh.  I just remembered that I swapped drives in the Qube2 and that drive
was already installed.  I wonder if I can change out the kernel on it and
put that into the Qube 2700...

--

-- 
Mike Hebel
(Continue reading)

Andy Ruhl | 7 Oct 22:11 2008
Picon

Re: Compiling kernel for Qube2700WG?

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 11:42 AM, Mike Hebel <nimitz <at> nimitzbrood.com> wrote:
> Can you just do like you would with some other O/S installs and expand all
> the sets on to the disk using tar?

Yeah, but that's not the only thing you have to do. You have to do
MAKEDEV in the /dev directory and set up the network, rc.conf, and
probably some other stuff. I think this "manual" install process is
documented somewhere. If it isn't, it's basically the same thing that
I have to do when netbooting the dreamcast, so there's probably info
over there on how to set up the filesystem.

You said in another mail that you might try just putting a new kernel
on your current disk to boot the 2700 off of.

If the secondary bootloader works for the 2700, then that shouldn't be
a problem. The kernel size limit problem shouldn't be a problem
anymore. That was solved when the secondary bootloader was fixed to
run on these, they don't have any kernel size limit problems.

Andy

Mike Hebel | 7 Oct 22:54 2008

Re: Compiling kernel for Qube2700WG?


On Oct 7, 2008, at 3:11 PM 10/7/08, Andy Ruhl wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 11:42 AM, Mike Hebel  
> <nimitz <at> nimitzbrood.com> wrote:
>> Can you just do like you would with some other O/S installs and  
>> expand all
>> the sets on to the disk using tar?
>
> Yeah, but that's not the only thing you have to do. You have to do
> MAKEDEV in the /dev directory and set up the network, rc.conf, and
> probably some other stuff. I think this "manual" install process is
> documented somewhere. If it isn't, it's basically the same thing that
> I have to do when netbooting the dreamcast, so there's probably info
> over there on how to set up the filesystem.

I've got the manual install printed out but thanks for the recap.

> You said in another mail that you might try just putting a new kernel
> on your current disk to boot the 2700 off of.

Actually it would be the previous disk I had in there with 3.0 on it  
but I might be willing to put it into the Qube2, do a 4.0 install on  
it, customize the kernel, then move it to the Qube1.

Is it just the COM entry I have to take out of the kernel config?

> If the secondary bootloader works for the 2700, then that shouldn't be
> a problem. The kernel size limit problem shouldn't be a problem
> anymore. That was solved when the secondary bootloader was fixed to
(Continue reading)

James Hartley | 7 Oct 23:21 2008
Picon

Re: Compiling kernel for Qube2700WG?

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 1:54 PM, Mike Hebel <nimitz <at> nimitzbrood.com> wrote:
> And since I just added a buttload of swap to them (1gig swapfile on each
> one) they run simple stuff like gangbusters.  PHP is still a hog though...

Not to sidetrack discussion, but why 1GB of swap?  Does output from
top(1) indicate that much space is ever being used?

Jim

Mike Hebel | 7 Oct 23:37 2008

Re: Compiling kernel for Qube2700WG?


On Oct 7, 2008, at 4:21 PM 10/7/08, James Hartley wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 1:54 PM, Mike Hebel <nimitz <at> nimitzbrood.com>  
> wrote:
>> And since I just added a buttload of swap to them (1gig swapfile  
>> on each
>> one) they run simple stuff like gangbusters.  PHP is still a hog  
>> though...
>
> Not to sidetrack discussion, but why 1GB of swap?  Does output from
> top(1) indicate that much space is ever being used?

Oh and just for completeness...

Bork: (3.0 Generic)

load averages:  1.19,  1.24,   
1.24                                     16:34:23
33 processes:  32 sleeping, 1 on processor
CPU states:  0.5% user,  0.0% nice,  0.0% system,  0.0% interrupt,  
99.5% idle
Memory: 60M Act, 4560K Wired, 21M Exec, 17M File, 167M Free
Swap: 1489M Total, 1489M Free

Tardis:  (3.0 Generic)

load averages:  1.15,  1.25,   
1.25                                     16:34:06
25 processes:  24 sleeping, 1 on processor
(Continue reading)

Mike Hebel | 7 Oct 23:31 2008

Re: Compiling kernel for Qube2700WG?


On Oct 7, 2008, at 4:21 PM 10/7/08, James Hartley wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 1:54 PM, Mike Hebel <nimitz <at> nimitzbrood.com>  
> wrote:
>> And since I just added a buttload of swap to them (1gig swapfile  
>> on each
>> one) they run simple stuff like gangbusters.  PHP is still a hog  
>> though...
>
> Not to sidetrack discussion, but why 1GB of swap?  Does output from
> top(1) indicate that much space is ever being used?

I threw that amount of swap at one of them in desperation one time  
and it stuck.  I'm sure if I wanted to I could dink with it and  
figure out where the threshold is but this was a lot easier.  And  
despite what top(1) says the machine performs noticeably faster.

It's horribly wasteful but it works and since I've got the space I'll  
use it.
--
Mike Hebel

MARS NEEDS CHOCOS! - Martian Manhunter


Gmane