Perry E. Metzger | 6 Aug 01:07 2005

Re: NetBSD flyer caveats


"James K. Lowden" <jklowden <at> schemamania.org> writes:
> No project to big or too small (implying that larger projects cannot be
> taken on at short notice).  
>
> Perhaps something like this, instead:
>
> 	"If you find your project would benefit from an expert hand, you'll be
> pleased to know that some of our developers are professional consultants. 
> They are available for projects large and small, often on short notice."  

The language there seems rather awkward, IMHO.

Perry

Rui Paulo | 6 Aug 12:59 2005
Picon

New NetBSD Guide chapter: Obtaining the sources

Hi,
As some of you already know, a new chapter was added to the NetBSD
guide to replace the old "Fetching the sources by CVS".
I would like, if possible, that you could read the chapter and express
your opinion on it since, after all, that chapter is will be mostly
read by new users. Typos count too!

You can find the chapter at:
	http://www.netbsd.org/guide/en/chap-fetch.html

Thanks in advance.

		-- Rui Paulo

Roland Illig | 6 Aug 14:36 2005
Picon

Re: New NetBSD Guide chapter: Obtaining the sources

Rui Paulo wrote:
> You can find the chapter at: 
> http://www.netbsd.org/guide/en/chap-fetch.html

There you wrote:
> Otherwise, if you want to build cvs(1) from pkgsrc, (assuming you 
> already fetched pkgsrc) you would do:

There is a link missing to the section where alternative download
methods are described. The reader may have already forgotten that there
exist alternatives. :)

I suggest the following text:

Otherwise, if you want to build cvs(1) from pkgsrc, (assuming you
already [[#26.4.4 fetched a stable pkgsrc branch]] or [[#26.4.5
pkgsrc-current]]) you would do:

The rest is fine to me.

Roland

Rui Paulo | 6 Aug 20:52 2005
Picon

Re: New NetBSD Guide chapter: Obtaining the sources

On 2005.08.06 14:36:43 +0000, Roland Illig wrote:
| Rui Paulo wrote:
| >You can find the chapter at: 
| >http://www.netbsd.org/guide/en/chap-fetch.html
| 
| There you wrote:
| >Otherwise, if you want to build cvs(1) from pkgsrc, (assuming you 
| >already fetched pkgsrc) you would do:
| 
| There is a link missing to the section where alternative download
| methods are described. The reader may have already forgotten that there
| exist alternatives. :)
| 
| I suggest the following text:
| 
| Otherwise, if you want to build cvs(1) from pkgsrc, (assuming you
| already [[#26.4.4 fetched a stable pkgsrc branch]] or [[#26.4.5
| pkgsrc-current]]) you would do:

Thanks, I've done what you suggested.

		-- Rui Paulo

Rui Paulo | 7 Aug 01:31 2005
Picon

chap-security ?

Hi,
I have a document from Elad Efrat describing some steps how Verified Exec
works and how to work with it. ;) I'm thinking about adding it to the
NetBSD guide, but I guess we need a chapter called "NetBSD Security".

Any opinions ? Where should be the exact location for it (i.e., between
which chapters) ?

		-- Rui Paulo

Hubert Feyrer | 7 Aug 01:59 2005
Picon

Re: chap-security ?

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005, Rui Paulo wrote:
> I have a document from Elad Efrat describing some steps how Verified Exec
> works and how to work with it. ;) I'm thinking about adding it to the
> NetBSD guide, but I guess we need a chapter called "NetBSD Security".
>
> Any opinions ? Where should be the exact location for it (i.e., between
> which chapters) ?

What else would go in that security chapter, and what would the chapters 
be that it is equal to?

Serious, I see that we have things like cgd etc. in "III. System 
configuration, administration and tuning" right now, and I'd just add 
"Verified Exec" (or whatever) as another section under that, just like 
CGD, PAM, RAIDframe and PAM have their own sections there. No need to 
introduce artificial structure here at this point - we can do that when 
there's a good reason later. YMMV.

  - Hubert

Rui Paulo | 7 Aug 02:54 2005
Picon

Re: chap-security ?

On 2005.08.07 01:59:58 +0000, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
| On Sun, 7 Aug 2005, Rui Paulo wrote:
| >I have a document from Elad Efrat describing some steps how Verified Exec
| >works and how to work with it. ;) I'm thinking about adding it to the
| >NetBSD guide, but I guess we need a chapter called "NetBSD Security".
| >
| >Any opinions ? Where should be the exact location for it (i.e., between
| >which chapters) ?
| 
| What else would go in that security chapter, and what would the chapters 
| be that it is equal to?
| 
| Serious, I see that we have things like cgd etc. in "III. System 
| configuration, administration and tuning" right now, and I'd just add 
| "Verified Exec" (or whatever) as another section under that, just like 
| CGD, PAM, RAIDframe and PAM have their own sections there. No need to 
| introduce artificial structure here at this point - we can do that when 
| there's a good reason later. YMMV.

Okay, thanks!

		-- Rui Paulo

Perry E. Metzger | 7 Aug 18:03 2005

docs for config


config(1), the kernel configuration tool, continues to have no docs,
after many many years.

If anyone is interested in a project, correcting this would be of
substantial interest...

--

-- 
Perry E. Metzger		perry <at> piermont.com

Hubert Feyrer | 7 Aug 22:44 2005
Picon

Re: docs for config

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> config(1), the kernel configuration tool, continues to have no docs,
> after many many years.
>
> If anyone is interested in a project, correcting this would be of
> substantial interest...

see options(4) which is referenced from config(8).

  - Hubert

Perry E. Metzger | 7 Aug 23:00 2005

Re: docs for config


Hubert Feyrer <hubert <at> feyrer.de> writes:
> On Sun, 7 Aug 2005, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>> config(1), the kernel configuration tool, continues to have no docs,
>> after many many years.
>>
>> If anyone is interested in a project, correcting this would be of
>> substantial interest...
>
> see options(4) which is referenced from config(8).

That doesn't document config(1). It doesn't even come close to
scratching the top of the surface...

.pm


Gmane