Pyun YongHyeon | 1 Jul 04:12 2009
Picon

Re: problem with if_re on RELENG_7

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 10:09:26PM +0200, Cezary Morga wrote:
> Pyun YongHyeon pisze:
> >Ok, I think you've have to live without MSI. I'll rearrange re(4)
> >to disable MSI on RTL8168 SPIN2 device.
> >Thanks for testing!
> 
> Silly question, but what is this MSI on a network card?
> 

MSI stands for Message Signaled Interrupt. Virtually any controller 
that honors PCI 2.2 or higher and PCI express can have MSI
capability. One of user visible change would be no more interrupt
sharing among devices. Goodle is your friend.
_______________________________________________
freebsd-stable <at> freebsd.org mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-stable
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-stable-unsubscribe <at> freebsd.org"

Roland Smith | 1 Jul 06:01 2009
Picon
Picon

Re: Vulnerability question

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 06:35:04PM -0400, Gary Palmer wrote:
> > > > Are you running a linux binary of mplayer? Because a native mplayer
> > > > binary does not require linux-pango! It just uses the native pango.
> > > 
> > > In fact, it's lxdvdrip which requires linux-pango [via linux-gtk2].
> > > lxdvdrip is happy with the native mplayer.
> > 
> > Looking at the port Makefile [/usr/ports/multimedia/lxdvdrip/Makefile]
> > and Freshports entries [http://www.freshports.org/multimedia/lxdvdrip/]
> > for lxdvdrip, there is no sign of it directly requiring pango, let alone
> > the Linux version. It is mplayer that depends on pango:

> I am not the OP, however I also ran into warnings about mplayer and
> linux-pango.  I believe the problem comes from linux-realplayer
> 
> # cd /usr/ports/multimedia/mplayer
> # make run-depends-list
<snip>
> /usr/ports/multimedia/linux-realplayer
> /usr/ports/multimedia/mplayer-skins
> /usr/ports/multimedia/win32-codecs
<snip>
> # grep REAL /var/db/ports/mplayer/options 
> WITH_REALPLAYER=true

Good catch! I think that is indeed the problem. I disabled realplayer
support for mplayer ages ago, so it doesn't show up in my list. 

Harald, re-build mplayer with realplayer support disabled (if you can do
without it), and you should probably loose the dependency on
(Continue reading)

Harald Weis | 1 Jul 10:50 2009
Picon

Re: Vulnerability question

On Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 06:01:01AM +0200, Roland Smith wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 06:35:04PM -0400, Gary Palmer wrote:

> > I am not the OP, however I also ran into warnings about mplayer and
> > linux-pango.  I believe the problem comes from linux-realplayer
> > 
> > # cd /usr/ports/multimedia/mplayer
> > # make run-depends-list
> <snip>
> > /usr/ports/multimedia/linux-realplayer
> > /usr/ports/multimedia/mplayer-skins
> > /usr/ports/multimedia/win32-codecs
> <snip>
> > # grep REAL /var/db/ports/mplayer/options 
> > WITH_REALPLAYER=true
> 
> Good catch! I think that is indeed the problem. I disabled realplayer
> support for mplayer ages ago, so it doesn't show up in my list. 
> 
> Harald, re-build mplayer with realplayer support disabled (if you can do
> without it), and you should probably loose the dependency on
> linux-pango.
> 
> > There may be more than one path to the linux-pango dependency however
> > :-(
> 
> I don't think so, looking at the Makefiles of the other dependencies of
> lxdvdrip. 

Yes, it is the ``real player plugin'' option for mplayer which
(Continue reading)

Jaakko Heinonen | 1 Jul 11:08 2009
Picon
Picon

Re: kern/135412: [zfs] [nfs] zfs(v13)+nfs and open(..., O_WRONLY|O_CREAT|O_EXCL, ...)

On 2009-06-30, Mike Andrews wrote:
> Jaakko Heinonen wrote:
> > On 2009-06-30, Danny Braniss wrote:
> >> 	This pr is realy holding me back, I can't upgrade this server, and
> >> telling serveral tens of users to us cp, etc is not an option. The open
> >> works fine if not using O_EXCL. 
> > 
> > I guess that r185586 needs to be MFCd to stable/7. Here's an untested
> > patch against stable/7:
> 
> The patch doesn't help over here, sorry.
> 
> Simply doing 'touch' or 'mv' to an NFSv3 mount (using either a v6 or v13 
> zpool) is the test case I've been using; touch doesn't even use O_EXCL as 
> far as I can tell.

I could reproduce the problem with O_EXCL and verified that the patch
fixes it. However I couldn't reproduce the problem you are seeing with
touch and mv.

--

-- 
Jaakko
_______________________________________________
freebsd-stable <at> freebsd.org mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-stable
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-stable-unsubscribe <at> freebsd.org"

Danny Braniss | 1 Jul 11:24 2009
Picon
Picon

Re: kern/135412: [zfs] [nfs] zfs(v13)+nfs and open(..., O_WRONLY|O_CREAT|O_EXCL, ...)

> On 2009-06-30, Mike Andrews wrote:
> > Jaakko Heinonen wrote:
> > > On 2009-06-30, Danny Braniss wrote:
> > >> 	This pr is realy holding me back, I can't upgrade this server, and
> > >> telling serveral tens of users to us cp, etc is not an option. The open
> > >> works fine if not using O_EXCL. 
> > > 
> > > I guess that r185586 needs to be MFCd to stable/7. Here's an untested
> > > patch against stable/7:
> > 
> > The patch doesn't help over here, sorry.
> > 
> > Simply doing 'touch' or 'mv' to an NFSv3 mount (using either a v6 or v13 
> > zpool) is the test case I've been using; touch doesn't even use O_EXCL as 
> > far as I can tell.
> 
> I could reproduce the problem with O_EXCL and verified that the patch
> fixes it. However I couldn't reproduce the problem you are seeing with
> touch and mv.

same here, touch worked before too - so i think it's unrelated,
btw, it seems that the problem does not exist on i386, though
I'm pretty sure I tried there too, oh well, 

thanks!
	danny

_______________________________________________
freebsd-stable <at> freebsd.org mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-stable
(Continue reading)

david.keller | 1 Jul 12:25 2009
Picon

7.2-RELEASE amd64 panic when starting Xorg

Hi,

Using an ATI Radeon X850, the system restarts when starting Xorg.

The coredump says that it's a page related error.

This bug seems related to this one:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2009-April/049618.html
which provides some informations. Do you need more ?

What can I do to help ?

_______________________________________________
freebsd-stable <at> freebsd.org mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-stable
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-stable-unsubscribe <at> freebsd.org"

Sagara Wijetunga | 1 Jul 09:04 2009
Picon

FreeBSD child process die for root

Hi 

I'm Sagara Wijetunga from Tomahawk Computers from Singapore, makers of the 
Tomahawk Desktop, a FreeBSD based desktop operating system 
(http://www.tomahawkcomputers.com/) which is free for personal use. 

Ever since we upgraded our Tomahawk Core OS to the FreeBSD 7.2 sources, we 
experienced a strange issue as follows: 

   1. The root cannot login from the console, child process forked die with 
“uid 0: exited on signal 11”.
   2. Normal users can log in, no issue.
   3. Normal users can type “su” and become root, but “su -l” 
results child process forked die with “uid 0: exited on signal 11”.
   4. The /var/log/messages shows “(cron), uid 0: exited on signal 11 
(core dumped)” 

We use a different build method to create Tomahawk Core OS, therefore, we 
earlier decided not to complain about this issue till we release the beta 
version as we were thinking without having access to our OS it may be 
difficult to diagnose this issue. 

Then we saw “Deadlock in a multi-threaded program during fork(2)” on 
FreeBSD website and upgraded our sources to the latest and rebuilt the 
Tomahawk Core OS but the problem we face did not go away. 

Appreciate if the FreeBSD community could give us a helping hand to identify 
the cause of the issue we are facing. 

Kind regards
(Continue reading)

Harald Weis | 1 Jul 13:14 2009
Picon

Re: Vulnerability question

On Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 06:01:01AM +0200, Roland Smith wrote:

> Good catch! I think that is indeed the problem. I disabled realplayer
> support for mplayer ages ago, so it doesn't show up in my list. 

How do you do that precisely ?
``WITH_REALPLAYER=no'' in /etc/make.conf ?

Thanks
Harald
_______________________________________________
freebsd-stable <at> freebsd.org mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-stable
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-stable-unsubscribe <at> freebsd.org"

Søren Schmidt | 1 Jul 14:58 2009
Picon

Re: ATA driver update for 7.2RELEASE available

On 27Jun, 2009, at 14:29 , Bruce Cran wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 22:11:08 +0200
> Søren Schmidt <sos <at> deepcore.dk> wrote:
>
>> This is a total replacement of the ATA driver, modulerized as in -
>> current, but based on my WIP not from what might have happend to -
>> current since I gave up maintainership.
>
> It's great to see the driver be modularised since removing unneeded
> drivers (for example, on powerpc and embedded platforms) can save
> ~200KB.

Yep, thats the main idea behind this move, minimizing the footprint.
With this and some of the _NO_ options to the world build an almost  
reasonable sized FreeBSD can be made.
FreeBSD seems to have grown *alot* of fat over the last years, not to  
mention ports where installing one small application gets you both a  
pony and a barn to keep it in as a "bonus" 8^)

> Could you add some documentation for the modules in /sys/conf/NOTES
> please?  I looked through the sources and put together the patch for
> 8.0 which is avaiable at
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/133162 but it sounds
> like some more drivers will need to be added for 7.2.

Good catch, included in my WIP here, when/if I get to put up another  
release of this it will be in there, thanks!

PS: For official inclusion in FreeBSD someone with a commit bit will  
(Continue reading)

Robert Noland | 1 Jul 15:45 2009
Picon

Re: 7.2-RELEASE amd64 panic when starting Xorg

On Wed, 2009-07-01 at 10:25 +0000, david.keller <at> litchis.fr wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> Using an ATI Radeon X850, the system restarts when starting Xorg.
> 
> The coredump says that it's a page related error.
> 
> This bug seems related to this one:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2009-April/049618.html
> which provides some informations. Do you need more ?
> 
> What can I do to help ?

I don't see that we resolved that one... It looks like drm_open is
returning "no such file or directory".  Check the permissions on the drm
device.  That said, it still shouldn't panic,  I'm suspicious that it
may be related to copyin/copyout with locks held.  See if the following
patch still applies cleanly.

http://people.freebsd.org/~rnoland/drm_radeon-copyin-fix-try2.patch

robert.

> _______________________________________________
> freebsd-stable <at> freebsd.org mailing list
> http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-stable
> To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-stable-unsubscribe <at> freebsd.org"
--

-- 
Robert Noland <rnoland <at> FreeBSD.org>
FreeBSD
(Continue reading)


Gmane