I am very new (about 48 hrs old!), user to
From what I can see, it can do everything I need it
The first ting i need it for is to help me install
a new server, and move some old server data to it,
Migrate 2 servers to newly staged
(The following is a post that was sent to the
FreeBSD Users list, but was never responded to):
I have 7 Servers, but this discussion only involves
two older ones (to be upgraded), 1 new one (to be deployed), and 1 excellent one
(that I want to clone).
1 old one had FreeBSD 4.7
1 old one has FreeBSD 4.10
1 brand new one has nothing.
1 Excellent machine has 6.2 RELEASE, and is in
All of my servers use the same filesystems
structures (/ /usr /var /home and /mnt (for the netowrk shares)).
All servers are in the same location,
All are connected to a WAN (via
All are connected to a VLAN (via
Another machine connected the same as above has a
NFS share with lots of room.
1. Backup ALL data and put in a safe location
2. Make complete file dumps of all filesystems on
the machine that is to be cloned,
3. Using the live CD, create the needed file
systems on the 'Blank' machine,
4. Connect the "BLANK" machine to the NFS
machine IS THIS POSSIBLE USING THE LIVE CD?
5. restore the clone dumps to the "BLANK"
6. Remove all previous machine and user specific
config data from the newly loaded "BLANK" machine,
7 Make a new complete set of file dumps and save to
the NFS machine, (skip to step 9 for the old machines).
8. Configure and use the blank
(the rest below would only apply to the two OLD
machines being upgraded),
9. Using the live CD, redo the drive repartition
and disklabel newfs etc, to get pristine drives,
10. connect OLD machine to NFS.
10. Using the dumps made in step 8, load the new
11. Using the backed up data from step 1, reload
the /home, redo rc.conf, and a bunch of other user type data...
12. Test and fix the minor forget me nots
repeat steps 9-12 for other old
From what I can see, some of my virtual passwd
files will still work (from 4.7 + 4.10 TO 6.2 COMMENTS?
From what I can see, the master.passwd $!$
passwords should work from 4.7 + 4.10 to 6.2 COMMENTS?
The old style mysql passwords should work as long
as I am using the -OLD-PASSWORD option. ( I can redo the passwords if I have to
Any comments from users who have used FreeSBIE
would be greatly appreciated.