FreeBSD bugmaster | 6 Oct 13:06 2008
Picon

freebsd-embedded@...

Note: to view an individual PR, use:
  http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=(number).

The following is a listing of current problems submitted by FreeBSD users.
These represent problem reports covering all versions including
experimental development code and obsolete releases.

S Tracker      Resp.      Description
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
o kern/101228  embedded   [nanobsd] [patch] Two more entries for FlashDevice.sub
o misc/52256   embedded   [picobsd] picobsd build script does not read in user/s
o kern/42728   embedded   [picobsd] many problems in src/usr.sbin/ppp/*  after c
o misc/15876   embedded   [picobsd] PicoBSD message of the day problems

4 problems total.

Bruce M Simpson | 6 Oct 19:21 2008
Picon

Most useful JTAG page ever.

At least two folk have asked me for this link:

    http://www.freelabs.com/~whitis/electronics/jtag/

He hits the nail on the head, explains clearly the political and 
economic problems JTAG has faced, and explains graphically how it fits 
together with clear schematic diagrams.

cheers
BMS
Steve Franks | 6 Oct 22:48 2008
Picon

Re: Most useful JTAG page ever.

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 10:21 AM, Bruce M Simpson <bms@...> wrote:
> At least two folk have asked me for this link:
>
>   http://www.freelabs.com/~whitis/electronics/jtag/
>
> He hits the nail on the head, explains clearly the political and economic
> problems JTAG has faced, and explains graphically how it fits together with
> clear schematic diagrams.
>
> cheers
> BMS
> _______________________________________________
> freebsd-embedded@... mailing list
> http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-embedded
> To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-embedded-unsubscribe@..."
>

Note that ports/devel/urjtag has become a relatively comprehensive
tool for operating jtag dongles with bsdl & svf files.  It operates on
alot of the things mentioned as properietary or difficult in this
document, but the Xilinx brand cable is still slow (ft2232 cables are
best).  Yes, I am the new maintainer, so I'm biased ;)

Steve
Bruce M Simpson | 7 Oct 03:28 2008
Picon

Re: Most useful JTAG page ever.

Steve Franks wrote:
> Note that ports/devel/urjtag has become a relatively comprehensive
> tool for operating jtag dongles with bsdl & svf files.  It operates on
> alot of the things mentioned as properietary or difficult in this
> document, but the Xilinx brand cable is still slow (ft2232 cables are
> best).  Yes, I am the new maintainer, so I'm biased ;)
>   

urjtag has already been a most excellent and useful tool for tracking 
that flash writes were doing the right thing on Friday (got U-Boot onto 
the Linksys NSLU2, with help from Rink Springer and Rafal Jaworowski), 
thanks for taking the helm.

I have a USB Altera ByteBlaster clone on order from Hong Kong, I'll see 
how it fares with urjtag when it arrives. [I hear the BDI3000 is the 
"must have" fashion accessory this year, for folk who have bankroll though.]

At the moment I'm trying to figure out where I've gone wrong with the 
JTAG pinout for the Freecom FSG3. Its shipping version of RedBoot is a 
bit friendlier than the NSLU2's.

cheers
BMS
Bruce M Simpson | 7 Oct 03:40 2008
Picon

Problems with NSLU2 and U-Boot

I am trying to get the NSLU2 to natively boot FreeBSD from flash itself 
w/o any TFTP server.

Thanks to Rink and Rafal's help, I managed to get U-Boot installed and 
working on the Linksys NSLU2.
Using hints from the OpenMoko page, I generated a U-Boot image from an 
NSLU2 kernel build from -CURRENT, and managed to boot it over the 
network -- however -- the kernel is not coming up.
mkimage hints here: http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/FreeBSD

If I add 'options VERBOSE_SYSINIT' to the kernel config, I can see that 
the kernel is going off into space... right after init_turnstile0() is 
called.   MMU problems?

[I had to track this down with nm, as addr2line seems to only print the 
first patch.]

I saw similar symptoms when trying to boot with the simple ELF 
trampoline, from both RedBoot and U-Boot on the NSLU2. An ELF kernel 
loaded into RedBoot seemed to work just fine, providing the load address 
was given explicitly.

[Recall: The problem with RedBoot on the NSLU2 is that its boot-time 
settings cannot be changed, it is locked into executing a Linux-style 
image at a hard wired address, so a change of firmware may be necessary 
in order to boot FreeBSD natively on that platform.]

cheers
BMS
(Continue reading)

Bruce M Simpson | 7 Oct 06:15 2008
Picon

Freecom FSG3 pc

I tried booting a kernel on the FSG3 once again.

The board will power from both 5V and 12V supply voltages, this is 
mostly to deal with driving a PATA drive.

The default Redboot config can be rewritten with fconfig -l, which is 
useful -- it expects to load a Linux zImage style kernel from the first 
partition, see here:
    http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FSG3/FisCmds

It is necessary to hold down the config reset button at the back to get 
Redboot to init the network ports. You need to CTRL-C it to stop it 
loading a recovery Linux kernel image.

Kernel config is mostly as per NSLU2, but with some twists.

There is an onboard Via VT6421A SATA/PATA controller, and an NEC EHCI 
controller, however neither of them appear to probe on the PCI bus. it 
looks like neither of them are activated by the firmware so they most 
likely need to have base addresses set up from scratch by the PCI code, 
something I believe we don't yet support?

It appears the PHY on board should be supported by the "rlswitch" driver.

I keep getting this even with full miibus compiled in:
%%%
npe0: <IXP NPE-B> on ixp0
npe0: [MPSAFE]
npe0: [ITHREAD]
npe0: using npe.0.mac=A override
(Continue reading)

Gary Jennejohn | 7 Oct 13:23 2008
Picon

Re: Most useful JTAG page ever.

On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 02:28:15 +0100
Bruce M Simpson <bms@...> wrote:

> I have a USB Altera ByteBlaster clone on order from Hong Kong, I'll see 
> how it fares with urjtag when it arrives. [I hear the BDI3000 is the 
> "must have" fashion accessory this year, for folk who have bankroll though.]
> 

I have a BDI2000.  When I asked a colleague, who sells BDIs, whether it
was worth upgrading he answered "No" rather emphatically.

---
Gary Jennejohn
Bruce M Simpson | 8 Oct 20:16 2008
Picon

Broadcom MIPS kernel bit-rot

It appears that the build for Broadcom MIPS kernels has bit-rotted.

I am able to build a kernel with SENTRY5 config, however it will no 
longer boot on the WGT634U.

The root cause appears to be a change in the ld behaviour. For whatever 
reason, the linker will now produce an ELF kernel which has offsets 
pointing backwards in the file, even though it didn't before, and 
"makeoptions LDSCRIPT_NAME" is being used to coax it to use the config 
which used to work for CFE.

CFE, of course, is unable to load ELF kernels via TFTP, unless their 
program headers appear in the order in which they are actually accessed. 
This is purely a limitation of how CFE implements TFTP ELF load.

Looking in the Perforce history I can't see anything which could 
obviously have broken this, it is clear however that ld is now behaving 
very differently.

Questions:
Has the version of ld/binutils in FreeBSD changed in -CURRENT since the 
MIPS code was imported to the main tree?

That's all I can really think of at the moment, not much I can try here. 
U-Boot isn't on the Sentry5.

cheers
BMS
M. Warner Losh | 8 Oct 23:07 2008

Re: Broadcom MIPS kernel bit-rot

I think this may be a change in the SGI style ELF binaries to a
Traditional SYS V style that we did before we imported the code, but
after you did the original work on the sentry...

Warner

In message: <48ECF8F5.8090805@...>
            Bruce M Simpson <bms@...> writes:
: It appears that the build for Broadcom MIPS kernels has bit-rotted.
: 
: I am able to build a kernel with SENTRY5 config, however it will no 
: longer boot on the WGT634U.
: 
: The root cause appears to be a change in the ld behaviour. For whatever 
: reason, the linker will now produce an ELF kernel which has offsets 
: pointing backwards in the file, even though it didn't before, and 
: "makeoptions LDSCRIPT_NAME" is being used to coax it to use the config 
: which used to work for CFE.
: 
: CFE, of course, is unable to load ELF kernels via TFTP, unless their 
: program headers appear in the order in which they are actually accessed. 
: This is purely a limitation of how CFE implements TFTP ELF load.
: 
: Looking in the Perforce history I can't see anything which could 
: obviously have broken this, it is clear however that ld is now behaving 
: very differently.
: 
: Questions:
: Has the version of ld/binutils in FreeBSD changed in -CURRENT since the 
: MIPS code was imported to the main tree?
(Continue reading)

Stanislav Sedov | 9 Oct 00:56 2008
Picon

Re: Problems with NSLU2 and U-Boot

On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 02:40:39 +0100
Bruce M Simpson <bms@...> mentioned:

> I am trying to get the NSLU2 to natively boot FreeBSD from flash itself 
> w/o any TFTP server.
> 
> Thanks to Rink and Rafal's help, I managed to get U-Boot installed and 
> working on the Linksys NSLU2.
> Using hints from the OpenMoko page, I generated a U-Boot image from an 
> NSLU2 kernel build from -CURRENT, and managed to boot it over the 
> network -- however -- the kernel is not coming up.
> mkimage hints here: http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/FreeBSD
> 
> If I add 'options VERBOSE_SYSINIT' to the kernel config, I can see that 
> the kernel is going off into space... right after init_turnstile0() is 
> called.   MMU problems?
> 
> [I had to track this down with nm, as addr2line seems to only print the 
> first patch.]
> 
> I saw similar symptoms when trying to boot with the simple ELF 
> trampoline, from both RedBoot and U-Boot on the NSLU2. An ELF kernel 
> loaded into RedBoot seemed to work just fine, providing the load address 
> was given explicitly.
> 
> [Recall: The problem with RedBoot on the NSLU2 is that its boot-time 
> settings cannot be changed, it is locked into executing a Linux-style 
> image at a hard wired address, so a change of firmware may be necessary 
> in order to boot FreeBSD natively on that platform.]
> 
(Continue reading)


Gmane