Pratyush Kshirsagar | 5 Jul 18:32 2010
Picon

Kernel build and git

Hello,

After building a customized kernel in /usr/src.
I made a branch of the master git node. Further, made some changes in the /usr/src/usr.bin/top/machine.c,
The # git diff command showed me the appropriate changes. 
When I am installing the kernel again, it does not show me the desired output for # top command.
But, when I do make in the /usr/src/usr.bin/top/ directory and use the object file "top" it shows me the output with changes.
What should I do to incorporate all the changes made in /usr/src tree in my running system, the way we do in linux.
If I am able to do all this things, I can go with adding some code in the /usr/src/sys/kern directory and test it on my customized kernel.

Have a nice day :)
Pratyush Kshirsagar.



Joe Talbott | 5 Jul 19:46 2010
Picon

Re: Kernel build and git

On Mon, Jul 05, 2010 at 12:32:10PM -0400, Pratyush Kshirsagar wrote:
> Hello,
> After building a customized kernel in /usr/src.
> I made a branch of the master git node. Further, made some changes in the
> /usr/src/usr.bin/top/machine.c,
> The # git diff command showed me the appropriate changes.
> When I am installing the kernel again, it does not show me the desired
> output for # top command.

usr.bin is a part of world and not the kernel.  You can do a 'make
install' from usr.bin/top.

Cheers,
Joe

Xavier Beaudouin | 7 Jul 11:18 2010
Picon

Re: Xen 4.0 and option SMP support ?

Hi Antonio,

Le 26 juin 2010 à 19:28, Antonio Huete Jimenez a écrit :

> Hi Xavier,
> 
> Thanks for the offering. Let's see whether we can find any trail of
> the problem before actually trying to give you some work in setting up
> the VM :)
> 
> Did you already get the verbose boot log?

Sorry for the delay... Another stuff get me busy, here is what I got from verbose boot (option 5 at boot), not
really usefull I think.

http://pix.toile-libre.org/?img=1278494217.png

Any clues ?

Thanks,
Xavier

> Cheers,
> Antonio Huete
> 
> 2010/6/24 Xavier Beaudouin <xb <at> soprive.net>:
>> Hi Antonio,
>> 
>> Le 24 juin 2010 à 17:21, Antonio Huete Jimenez a écrit :
>> 
>>> Hi Xavier,
>>> 
>>> Thanks for trying out DragonFlyBSD!
>>> 
>>> Are you using 'options APIC_IO' in your SMP kernel config? I don't say
>>> this is the problem itself but having it enabled may produce a number
>>> of issues in certain hardware.
>>> 
>>> Also, in case that's not the issue, can you please boot verbose and
>>> tell us exactly the point where it hangs? If you could provide the
>>> whole dmesg text better, that's better.
>> 
>> I can even give you access to one VM.
>> 
>> I try with and without APIC_IO -> same result.
>> 
>> I have trying on AMD 6128 and also with Intel L5405 hardware no success.
>> 
>> I will do a verbose boot RSN :)
>> 
>> Thanks
>> /Xavier
>> 
>>> Cheers,
>>> Antonio Huete
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 2010/6/24 Xavier Beaudouin <xb <at> soprive.net>:
>>>> Hello there,
>>>> 
>>>> I am the CTO of So Privé Cloud Computing, and I am trying to make some "ready to use" images with some
other OS than ... Linux.
>>>> 
>>>> I have successfully installed and configured dragonflybsd 2.6.2 and updated to GIT sources and make
it run correctly without a pain.
>>>> 
>>>> Now since we can provide up to 31 cores to people that need it (31 real core, no time sharing between other
users...), I cannot boot dragonfly with
>>>> 
>>>> options SMP
>>>> 
>>>> It block itself just after :
>>>> lapic: divisor index 0, frequency 5000394Hz
>>>> 
>>>> ...
>>>> 
>>>> Is there people here having succesfull SMP under Xen 4.0.0/hvm ?
>>>> 
>>>> Sincerly,
>>>> Xavier
>>>> 
>>>> --
>>>> Xavier Beaudouin - xb <at> soprive.net - http://www.soprive.net/
>>>> So Privé - Le premier acteur dédié au cloud computing en France
>>>> GPG Fingerprints : A6B2 D563 F93B A3AF C08A  CBAC 6BC6 79EB DCC9 9867
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> --
>>> Cheers,
>>> Antonio Huete
>>> 
>> 
>> --
>> Xavier Beaudouin - xb <at> soprive.net - http://www.soprive.net/
>> So Privé - Le premier acteur dédié au cloud computing en France
>> GPG Fingerprints : A6B2 D563 F93B A3AF C08A  CBAC 6BC6 79EB DCC9 9867
>> 
>> 
> 
> 
> 
> -- 
> Cheers,
> Antonio Huete

--
Xavier Beaudouin - xb <at> soprive.net - http://www.soprive.net/
So Privé - Le premier acteur dédié au cloud computing en France
GPG Fingerprints : A6B2 D563 F93B A3AF C08A  CBAC 6BC6 79EB DCC9 9867

Antonio Huete Jimenez | 7 Jul 12:22 2010
Picon

Re: Xen 4.0 and option SMP support ?

Hi Xavier,

I see that you are trying to boot a x86_64 kernel. Do you have the
same issue with i386?

Also take in account for your setups that our MAX SMP is up to 16
processors iirc.

Cheers,
Antonio Huete

2010/7/7 Xavier Beaudouin <xb <at> soprive.net>:
> Hi Antonio,
>
> Le 26 juin 2010 à 19:28, Antonio Huete Jimenez a écrit :
>
>> Hi Xavier,
>>
>> Thanks for the offering. Let's see whether we can find any trail of
>> the problem before actually trying to give you some work in setting up
>> the VM :)
>>
>> Did you already get the verbose boot log?
>
> Sorry for the delay... Another stuff get me busy, here is what I got from verbose boot (option 5 at boot), not
really usefull I think.
>
> http://pix.toile-libre.org/?img=1278494217.png
>
> Any clues ?
>
> Thanks,
> Xavier
>
>> Cheers,
>> Antonio Huete
>>
>> 2010/6/24 Xavier Beaudouin <xb <at> soprive.net>:
>>> Hi Antonio,
>>>
>>> Le 24 juin 2010 à 17:21, Antonio Huete Jimenez a écrit :
>>>
>>>> Hi Xavier,
>>>>
>>>> Thanks for trying out DragonFlyBSD!
>>>>
>>>> Are you using 'options APIC_IO' in your SMP kernel config? I don't say
>>>> this is the problem itself but having it enabled may produce a number
>>>> of issues in certain hardware.
>>>>
>>>> Also, in case that's not the issue, can you please boot verbose and
>>>> tell us exactly the point where it hangs? If you could provide the
>>>> whole dmesg text better, that's better.
>>>
>>> I can even give you access to one VM.
>>>
>>> I try with and without APIC_IO -> same result.
>>>
>>> I have trying on AMD 6128 and also with Intel L5405 hardware no success.
>>>
>>> I will do a verbose boot RSN :)
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> /Xavier
>>>
>>>> Cheers,
>>>> Antonio Huete
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> 2010/6/24 Xavier Beaudouin <xb <at> soprive.net>:
>>>>> Hello there,
>>>>>
>>>>> I am the CTO of So Privé Cloud Computing, and I am trying to make some "ready to use" images with some
other OS than ... Linux.
>>>>>
>>>>> I have successfully installed and configured dragonflybsd 2.6.2 and updated to GIT sources and make
it run correctly without a pain.
>>>>>
>>>>> Now since we can provide up to 31 cores to people that need it (31 real core, no time sharing between
other users...), I cannot boot dragonfly with
>>>>>
>>>>> options SMP
>>>>>
>>>>> It block itself just after :
>>>>> lapic: divisor index 0, frequency 5000394Hz
>>>>>
>>>>> ...
>>>>>
>>>>> Is there people here having succesfull SMP under Xen 4.0.0/hvm ?
>>>>>
>>>>> Sincerly,
>>>>> Xavier
>>>>>
>>>>> --
>>>>> Xavier Beaudouin - xb <at> soprive.net - http://www.soprive.net/
>>>>> So Privé - Le premier acteur dédié au cloud computing en France
>>>>> GPG Fingerprints : A6B2 D563 F93B A3AF C08A  CBAC 6BC6 79EB DCC9 9867
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Cheers,
>>>> Antonio Huete
>>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Xavier Beaudouin - xb <at> soprive.net - http://www.soprive.net/
>>> So Privé - Le premier acteur dédié au cloud computing en France
>>> GPG Fingerprints : A6B2 D563 F93B A3AF C08A  CBAC 6BC6 79EB DCC9 9867
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Antonio Huete
>
> --
> Xavier Beaudouin - xb <at> soprive.net - http://www.soprive.net/
> So Privé - Le premier acteur dédié au cloud computing en France
> GPG Fingerprints : A6B2 D563 F93B A3AF C08A  CBAC 6BC6 79EB DCC9 9867
>
>

--

-- 
Cheers,
Antonio Huete

Alex | 12 Jul 00:31 2010
Picon

HEADS UP - kern_udev, udevd and libdevattr

Hi,

While I've commited udevd, libdevattr and the corresponding kernel part
(kern_udev) some time ago, I've fixed a number of bugs over the past few
days and also have added the necessary manual pages and rc.d script now.

The kernel part, kern_udev, provides a way to associate some information
to a cdev_t (a device, in general). By default, some information such as
name, major, minor, kernel pointer, and driver name is associated, but
drivers can voluntarily add more information. I've started adding some
of this information for a set of devices, mostly disk devices and the
whole disk subsystem for practical use with lvm (to discriminate real
disk devices from all other without having to open them and issue an
ioctl). This in-kernel API is the only part that still lacks
documentation, but I hope to get to it soon. I'll continue work on this
by tagging further device subsystems in the kernel and attach other
useful information to the device property lists in the different
drivers.

The udevd daemon connects to /dev/udev (provided by kern_udev) to be
able to read out all devices and their associated properties, as well as
receive notifications on attaches and detaches (this latter part much
like hotplugd, except udevd doesn't do anything with this information
directly). The main reason for the existence of udevd is to allow access
of libdevattr, which I'll explain in a moment, to the kernel interface
without having to implement this multiplexing in the kernel itself.

libdevattr is the final part in this puzzle. This library allows access
to the device property lists, as well as monitoring events (receiving
notifications of attach/detach,  ...). It provides a rich set of
filtering for both getting a device list and monitoring events. These
filters support both wildcards and regular expressions according to
regex(3). The API is mostly compatible with Linux' libudev, to minimize
the effort required to port stuff relying on libudev, like DeviceKit,
etc. Don't get me wrong here: libdevattr *IS NOT* a drop-in replacement
for libudev. The functionality *IS* different. The library has a set of
man pages that cover pretty much the whole API; devattr(3), udev(3),
udev_device(3), udev_monitor(3), udev_enumerate(3). If you are looking
for an example of how to use it, look no further than 'devattr_test.c'
in lib/libdevattr.

While I've hopefully done enough testing, don't be surprised if you use
it and bump into some bug.

Cheers,
Alex Hornung

Samuel J. Greear | 15 Jul 00:02 2010
Picon

Call for testing

All,

As a result of Google Summer of Code I now have a branch where the
entire select/poll/kevent subsystem has been unified into kevent. It
has already been fairly well tested on i386/SMP, but it would be nice
to give it a good shaking out before it hits master. Nothing special
is required to test, and the modified code is so pervasive that even
booting the system multi-user is providing testing. Anything is
helpful, running X, running benchmarks that stress the network or pipe
subsystems and use them in a non-blocking manner, etc. Especially
helpful would be anyone who has a device listed on
http://wiki.github.com/thesjg/SJG-DragonFly-BSD-SoC/poll-able-devices
and can report success or failure. Performance regressions, slowness
or "weirdness" are legitimately reportable as well, as long as you can
provide a reasonable description or steps to reproduce. There is
currently 1 known panic when unmounting a remote smbfs share.

The branch is available from my leaf repository:
git://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~sjg/dragonfly.git -- branch "selwakeup"

Thanks!
Sam

Justin C. Sherrill | 16 Jul 04:59 2010

[Fwd: BSD-Day 2010]


Gabor PALI sent along this note about BSDDay; I'm reposting it for him. 
The "you" he's talking about is anyone willing to give a talk.

#############

I would like to invite you as a speaker to Budapest (ELTE, Faculty of
Informatics) on November 20, 2010.  Many NetBSD and FreeBSD contributors
and developers have already shown interest in that, and it would be
pleasure to have you at the conference giving a talk about something
BSD-specific.

The details of the conference can be found on the FreeBSD wiki [1].

[1] http://wiki.freebsd.org/BSDDay_2010

Damian Lubosch | 22 Jul 16:39 2010
Picon

twa driver and 3ware 9650SE Raid adapter

Hello!

I am trying to install Dragonfly BSD 2.6.3 on a server with a 3ware 9650SE 2-port S-ATA2 RAID adapter but the
installer does not recognize the RAID array.

On the boot prompt I tried to "load twe" as well as "load twa" as well as both, but in all cases the installer is
not able to detect a suitable harddrive device and aborts the installation..

I have another, older Dragonfly 2.0 system running on an older version of the 3ware adapter 7000/8000
series with the twed driver, and because shinigsilence.com reported the 9500 series to work on Dragonfly
BSD and because freebsd supports this adapter as well I hoped that it will work in 2.6.3 as well. 

Could somebody take a look why it does not work? If you need any kind of information, do not hesitate to ask! I
will try to provide any kind of information that will help to make the controller work :-)

Thank you 
Damian

Jan Lentfer | 22 Jul 22:03 2010
Picon

Re: Updating PF to OpenBSD Release 4,1

Jan Lentfer schrieb:
> I have made some progress on the PF work. pf.ko can be loaded and unloaded
> (now even w/o panic, thanks to Aggelos) and I have updated pfctl to the
> version that comes with OpenBSD 4.1. So you can enable PF, load rules and
> view then and so on. All that works.
> What doesn't work at all at the moment is the actual filtering. Packets
> seem to pass through pf (evaluations counter is increased) but pf_test_tcp
> seems to always return PF_PASS. I have added a panic("debug") where I think
> the investigation should start. Aggelos has helped me a lot on this also
> but since I will be away for 2 weeks I would like to make my current status
> public. So anyone willing to look into it could do so. I might find the
> time to work a little bit on it until friday. I will keep you informed if I
> change anything on the tree before I leave.
> 
> http://gitweb.dragonflybsd.org/~lentferj/dragonfly.git/shortlog/refs/heads/pf_update

I have made another major progress on this (again 2 thumbs up for 
Aggelos for helping). I tested filtering (block and pass rules), nat and 
port forwarding (rdr rules). All of that seems to work fine in my tests. 
I have only tested the single features, not in combination, though.

What I have not tested at all until now it ALTQ and DF's fairq extension.

Also state keeping is working (and is now default, not due to my 
decision but it became default in OBSD 4.1 afaict). So this is ready now 
for "public" testing. I would appreciate very much if people with some 
sophisticated setup or in-depth pf knowledge could test and give some 
feedback.

Be aware that this still pukes out tons of debugging info (propably not 
useful to anyone but me) on the sys console. I will remove those step by 
step now.

Finally also be aware that my branch is still based on master from May 
or so. I haven't rebased it yet. Will do that some time soon.

http://gitweb.dragonflybsd.org/~lentferj/dragonfly.git/shortlog/refs/heads/pf_update

Jan

Matthew Dillon | 23 Jul 02:33 2010

Re: Updating PF to OpenBSD Release 4,1

:Also state keeping is working (and is now default, not due to my 
:decision but it became default in OBSD 4.1 afaict). So this is ready now 
:for "public" testing. I would appreciate very much if people with some 
:sophisticated setup or in-depth pf knowledge could test and give some 
:feedback.

    Yah, this is fine, I'll give up on trying to keep the original
    style and having an option to enable it.

    However, there is one feature of the state keeping which we
    implemented first and Net/OpenBSD implemented later, and 
    that is our 'pickups' feature, as in:

    set keep-policy keep state (pickups)

    In the pre-change DragonFly pf.  Pickups needs to be the default
    too, and I don't think the net/openbsd equivalent feature is.
    (I don't recall what net/openbsd called their equivalent feature).

    What this flag does is allow the router running the PF rules to
    be rebooted and lose its state array without causing all the
    TCP connections that were active as of the time of the reboot
    from getting RSTs after the reboot completes (due to lack of
    information on the window scale sub-state which is only available
    in the SYN/SYN+ACK sequence).  I absolutely do not want the
    default to be that a router reboot causes all active TCP connections
    to get RST'd.

:Be aware that this still pukes out tons of debugging info (propably not 
:useful to anyone but me) on the sys console. I will remove those step by 
:step now.
:
:Finally also be aware that my branch is still based on master from May 
:or so. I haven't rebased it yet. Will do that some time soon.
:
:http://gitweb.dragonflybsd.org/~lentferj/dragonfly.git/shortlog/refs/heads/pf_update
:
:
:Jan

    Two more things:

    On the fairq stuff we use the state info pointer (I think) to hash
    the buckets the fairq uses.  I think Net/OpenBSD also wound up
    doing something similar, though perhaps with a slightly different
    API.  That is the only special thing that the FAIRQ implementation
    needs to operate.  FAIRQ is mandatory, we're the only ones who
    implement it other than Cisco (at least as of 8 months ago).

    Lastly you may need some extra focus on the RDR rules.  On my router
    box I am forced to use IPFW 'fwd' rules for default route adjustment
    because RDR rules in PF don't seem to be reinjected, so it is not
    possible to have RDR rules which then also run through NAT or other
    translation features.  And even with IPFW it doesn't seem to work
    perfectly.  Very annoying to say the least.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon 
					<dillon <at> backplane.com>


Gmane