Max Buvry | 8 Feb 08:28 2002
Picon

start problem

hi,

I just install the latest versions of cygwin and XFree86.
I use a medion notebook with XP Window.

I meet a problem to start the server X.

-> If I try "sh /usr/X11R6/bin/startxwin.sh" the error message is :

xsetroot : unable to open display '127.0.0.1:0.0'
twm : unable to open display "127.0.0.1:0.0"

-> If I try "startx" the error message is now :

xinit : Connection refused (errno 111) : unavble to connect to X server
xinit : no such process (errno 3) : Server error

I find some thing about the first message in the FAQ but this does not
help me.

Thanks you for your help and your proposals

mb

Pavel.Rybnicek | 8 Feb 08:35 2002
Picon

RE: Unable to type letters in login to AIX box using XFree86 4.2.0 on W2K


Harold,

I don't know :-)

OK, I have downloaded Test 53 today (for sure)
and the problem is still there.

Pavel

                                                                                                                                              
                    "Harold Hunt"                                                                                                             
                    <huntharo <at> msu        To:     <Pavel.Rybnicek <at> intax.cz>                                                                    
                    .edu>                cc:     "cygx" <cygwin-xfree <at> cygwin.com>                                                             
                                         Subject:     RE: Unable to type letters in login to AIX box using XFree86 4.2.0 on W2K               
                    07.02.2002                                                                                                                
                    19:24                                                                                                                     

Pavel,

One quick check: you are running Cygwin/XFree86 4.2.0, right?  Or at least
the Test53 server?  (Test53 and 4.2.0 are almost, if not entirely,
identical).

I'll add a note to the FAQ sometime soon.

Thanks,

Harold

(Continue reading)

Tim Bause | 8 Feb 10:49 2002
Picon

Font Path

dear all,

recently I tried to install the cygwin/XFree86 and run into Problems.
First of all I was suprised not to find the XF86Config file. Starting
the xserver, a fatal server error occured: "could not open default font
'fixed'.
Seems that the font path is broken. So, how do I configure the font
path?

Tim Bause
Attachment (bause.vcf): text/x-vcard, 277 bytes
Alexander Gottwald | 8 Feb 11:07 2002
Picon

Re: Font Path

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Tim Bause wrote:

> dear all,
> 
> recently I tried to install the cygwin/XFree86 and run into Problems.
> First of all I was suprised not to find the XF86Config file. 

The configfile is not used.

> Starting the xserver, a fatal server error occured: "could not open 
> default font 'fixed'.  Seems that the font path is broken. So, how do 
>I configure the font path?

Please check the faq. This problem is discussed there.

bye
	ago
--

-- 
 Alexander.Gottwald <at> informatik.tu-chemnitz.de 
 http://www.gotti.org           ICQ: 126018723
 phone: +49 3725 349 80 80	mobile: +49 172 7854017

PD Dr. Edward Wornar | 8 Feb 15:31 2002
Picon

Shift+KeyPadplus

Hello,

I've encountered the following problem: When I press
Shift and KeyPad+ (to resize the font in an xterm, e.g.),
I only get capital letters. The only remedy I found so far
is to log out and restart cygwin-xfree. (I haven't found anything
in the faqs and documentations I've searched so I apologize if
this is a faq -- I'm new to this beast.) Can anyone help me here?

Thanks in advance

Edi

Rick Seiden | 8 Feb 16:54 2002

Linux Mandrake and Windows

Hello all,

I'm new to the list, and I'm sorry if this has been answered before.  I =
looked, but couldn't find it.

I have Linux Mandrake running on one machine, with a dual boot to =
Windows 2000.  I have a Windows 98 machine running cygwin/xfree.  When I =
boot to Linux and log in (through X 3.6), I open up a terminal and type=20

xhost +=20

to allow all connections.  Then I go to cygwin/xfree on the Win98 =
machine, and type into the bash window=20

export DISPLAY=3D192.168.1.3:0=20

(the ip of the Linux machine).  Then I try to execute=20

xclock

on the Win98 machine, and it says connection refused.

Reverse the process: =20

xhost +=20

in the cygwin/xfree environment, and=20

export DISPLAY=3D192.168.1.1:0=20

(Continue reading)

Sean LeBlanc | 8 Feb 17:15 2002

IceWM?

Earlier I asked about window managers - I'm trying to get IceWM working for
the time being.
I downloaded binary edition, changed startxwin.sh according to directions,
and run startxwin.sh.
The server comes up with a green background, and an xterm...but the xterm
doesn't look right
(no edges or title bar), and there is nothing else on the screen.  Any ideas
on what I'm doing wrong here?

Cheers,
Sean

Suhaib Siddiqi | 8 Feb 17:18 2002

RE: IceWM?


maybe your IceWM failed to start.  Try starting it from xterm window.  It
should show you errors if it is crashing.

Suhaib

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Sean LeBlanc [mailto:sean <at> nutros.com] 
> Sent: Friday, February 08, 2002 11:15 AM
> To: cygwin-xfree <at> cygwin.com
> Subject: IceWM?
> 
> 
> Earlier I asked about window managers - I'm trying to get 
> IceWM working for the time being. I downloaded binary 
> edition, changed startxwin.sh according to directions, and 
> run startxwin.sh. The server comes up with a green 
> background, and an xterm...but the xterm doesn't look right 
> (no edges or title bar), and there is nothing else on the 
> screen.  Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong here?
> 
> Cheers,
> Sean
> 

Sean LeBlanc | 8 Feb 17:23 2002

RE: IceWM?

> -----Original Message-----
> From: cygwin-xfree-owner <at> cygwin.com
> [mailto:cygwin-xfree-owner <at> cygwin.com]On Behalf Of Suhaib Siddiqi
> Sent: Friday, February 08, 2002 9:18 AM
> To: 'cygwin-xfree <at> cygwin.com'
> Subject: RE: IceWM?
>
>
>
> maybe your IceWM failed to start.  Try starting it from xterm
> window.  It
> should show you errors if it is crashing.

I see icewm running in the Windows task manager - could it still have
crashed in that case?
Also, do you mean to run icewm from the odd-looked xterm inside of XFree86?

Thanks,
Sean

>
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Sean LeBlanc [mailto:sean <at> nutros.com]
> > Sent: Friday, February 08, 2002 11:15 AM
> > To: cygwin-xfree <at> cygwin.com
> > Subject: IceWM?
> >
> >
> > Earlier I asked about window managers - I'm trying to get
> > IceWM working for the time being. I downloaded binary
(Continue reading)

Suhaib Siddiqi | 8 Feb 17:25 2002

RE: IceWM?


> > maybe your IceWM failed to start.  Try starting it from 
> xterm window.  
> > It should show you errors if it is crashing.
> 
> I see icewm running in the Windows task manager -

you can kill it in Taskmanager

> could it 
> still have crashed in that case? Also, do you mean to run 
> icewm from the odd-looked xterm inside of XFree86?

yes! without a window manager, xterm would be odd-looking.

> 
> Thanks,
> Sean
> 
> >
> > > -----Original Message-----
> > > From: Sean LeBlanc [mailto:sean <at> nutros.com]
> > > Sent: Friday, February 08, 2002 11:15 AM
> > > To: cygwin-xfree <at> cygwin.com
> > > Subject: IceWM?
> > >
> > >
> > > Earlier I asked about window managers - I'm trying to get IceWM 
> > > working for the time being. I downloaded binary edition, changed 
> > > startxwin.sh according to directions, and run startxwin.sh. The 
(Continue reading)


Gmane