Adam Puckett | 5 Mar 16:58 2012
Picon

tip for blind users of setup.exe regarding package installation

Here's how I went about installing Cygwin via setup.exe with the free,
open source screen reader NVDA:

1. Download and run setup.exe, and click "Next" at each prompt, as the
user guide says, for a core install.
2. Install additional packages with the -P option. E.G.:

setup -P gcc -P git -P bzr -P python

etc.

Adam

Picon

RE: tip for blind users of setup.exe regarding package installation

Adam Puckett sent the following at Monday, March 05, 2012 10:59 AM
>
>Here's how I went about installing Cygwin via setup.exe with the free,
>open source screen reader NVDA:
>
>1. Download and run setup.exe, and click "Next" at each prompt, as the
>user guide says, for a core install.
>2. Install additional packages with the -P option. E.G.:
>
>setup -P gcc -P git -P bzr -P python
>
>etc.

(1) Shouldn't this have been appropriate for the main list, not talk?

(2) This sounds like it might work as a basic for the generic "automatic
install" question that periodically shows up on the main list.  Might it
be appropriate for a FAQ or somewhere else in the documentation or on the
web site?  (Not that I have tried this or that it matters to me.)

- Barry
  Disclaimer: Statements made herein are not made on behalf of NIAID.

Adam Puckett | 7 Mar 02:55 2012
Picon

Re: tip for blind users of setup.exe regarding package installation

I put it here to avoid being told to TITTTL.

On 3/6/12, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] <BBuchbinder <at> niaid.nih.gov> wrote:
> Adam Puckett sent the following at Monday, March 05, 2012 10:59 AM
>>
>>Here's how I went about installing Cygwin via setup.exe with the free,
>>open source screen reader NVDA:
>>
>>1. Download and run setup.exe, and click "Next" at each prompt, as the
>>user guide says, for a core install.
>>2. Install additional packages with the -P option. E.G.:
>>
>>setup -P gcc -P git -P bzr -P python
>>
>>etc.
>
> (1) Shouldn't this have been appropriate for the main list, not talk?
>
> (2) This sounds like it might work as a basic for the generic "automatic
> install" question that periodically shows up on the main list.  Might it
> be appropriate for a FAQ or somewhere else in the documentation or on the
> web site?  (Not that I have tried this or that it matters to me.)
>
> - Barry
>   Disclaimer: Statements made herein are not made on behalf of NIAID.
>
>

Christopher Faylor | 7 Mar 04:45 2012

Re: tip for blind users of setup.exe regarding package installation

On Tue, Mar 06, 2012 at 08:55:01PM -0500, Adam Puckett wrote:
>I put it here to avoid being told to TITTTL.

Uh, no.  Tips on how to use Cygwin are certainly appropriate for the
Cygwin list.

Picon

RE: tip for blind users of setup.exe regarding package installation

Christopher Faylor wrote on March 06, 2012, at 10:45 PM
>On Tue, Mar 06, 2012 at 08:55:01PM -0500, Adam Puckett wrote:
>>I put it here to avoid being told to TITTTL.
>
>Uh, no.  Tips on how to use Cygwin are certainly appropriate
>for the Cygwin list.

Whatever one does, it is always wrong.  :-)

Corinna Vinschen | 7 Mar 12:21 2012

Re: tip for blind users of setup.exe regarding package installation

On Mar  7 06:11, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] wrote:
> Christopher Faylor wrote on March 06, 2012, at 10:45 PM
> >On Tue, Mar 06, 2012 at 08:55:01PM -0500, Adam Puckett wrote:
> >>I put it here to avoid being told to TITTTL.
> >
> >Uh, no.  Tips on how to use Cygwin are certainly appropriate
> >for the Cygwin list.
> 
> Whatever one does, it is always wrong.  :-)

No, it's not, and now get off my lawn!

Hippo of the day: Corinna

Christopher Faylor | 7 Mar 16:22 2012

Re: tip for blind users of setup.exe regarding package installation

On Wed, Mar 07, 2012 at 06:11:55AM -0500, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote on March 06, 2012, at 10:45 PM
>>On Tue, Mar 06, 2012 at 08:55:01PM -0500, Adam Puckett wrote:
>>>I put it here to avoid being told to TITTTL.
>>
>>Uh, no.  Tips on how to use Cygwin are certainly appropriate
>>for the Cygwin list.
>
>Whatever one does, it is always wrong.  :-)

If you can't actually talk in an informative way about a cygwin utility
on the cygwin list then what in the world would the cygwin list be for?
Sending "git doesn't work"/"You need to rebase" mantras?

Yeah, the rules are SO hard.

If you want to moan and complain about a cygwin personality, take it to
the talk list.

If you want to talk about the great pizza that you had last night while
running setup.exe, take it to the talk list.

If you want to tell everyone the story of your life and how it came
about that you are running cygwin, take it to the talk list.

If you want to talk about hippos and their evolutionary relationship to
other animals, take it to the talk list.

If you want to make a sarcastic comment about something somebody said on
the cygwin list, well, you could just respond to it on the cygwin list
(Continue reading)

Adam Puckett | 7 Mar 21:36 2012
Picon

Re: tip for blind users of setup.exe regarding package installation

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 10:22 AM , Christopher Faylor wrote:

> If you can't actually talk in an informative way about a cygwin utility
> on the cygwin list then what in the world would the cygwin list be for?
> Sending "git doesn't work"/"You need to rebase" mantras?

> Yeah, the rules are SO hard.

> If you want to moan and complain about a cygwin personality, take it to
> the talk list.

> If you want to talk about the great pizza that you had last night while
> running setup.exe, take it to the talk list.

> If you want to tell everyone the story of your life and how it came
> about that you are running cygwin, take it to the talk list.

> If you want to talk about hippos and their evolutionary relationship to
> other animals, take it to the talk list.

> If you want to make a sarcastic comment about something somebody said on
> the cygwin list, well, you could just respond to it on the cygwin list
> or you could take it to the talk list.  You'll probably be asked to
> take it here eventually if you keep it up.

> But, then, I don't recall a time in the last several months that someone
> was actually told to take a discussion here.  So it isn't like people
> are constantly being cruelly persecuted by mean mailing list snobs
> attempting to enforce obscure rules.

(Continue reading)

Andy Koppe | 15 Mar 12:42 2012
Picon

MS recommends Cygwin

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831568.aspx

"Features Removed or Deprecated in Windows Server "8" Beta
...
The Subsystem for UNIX-based Applications (SUA) is deprecated. If you
use the SUA POSIX subsystem with this release, use Hyper-V to
virtualize the server. If you use the tools provided by SUA, switch to
Cygwin or Mingw."

Warren Young | 15 Mar 13:47 2012

Re: MS recommends Cygwin

On 3/15/2012 5:42 AM, Andy Koppe wrote:
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831568.aspx
>
> "Features Removed or Deprecated in Windows Server "8" Beta
> ...
> The Subsystem for UNIX-based Applications (SUA) is deprecated. If you
> use the SUA POSIX subsystem with this release, use Hyper-V to
> virtualize the server. If you use the tools provided by SUA, switch to
> Cygwin or Mingw."

Ding dong, the witch is dead?


Gmane