My name is Edward Nutting; I live in London, UK and I'm 17(.5 ;) ). I've self-taught myself C# (and many other languages) since I was 8 and now I've decided to set myself one of the biggest programming challenges : helping develop a kernel :)
Codeplex ID: EdwardNutting
I tried to get hold of VS2010 but all the download links have been hidden/removed and licenses are unavailable...so I've started adapting the code to get it to work in VS2013 Ultimate. Currently I've managed to:
- Get it all to compile in VS2013 (using last Beta source release from CodePlex)
- Get the dev-kit/user-kit to install (ish)
e a new C# Cosmos project, build it and run it in VMWare Player
My adaptations are rather blunt, however (or at least they feel it). Current known issues:
- Not all the project template .zip files get copied during install
- Most of the registry keys aren't created by the installer even though I can step through in Inno and watch the lines of code run - for some reason they do nothing.
- XSharp file type is recognised by when you add a .xs file to a project VS tells you that it can't find the compiler assembly for .xs files
- Anything other than VMWare build/run configuration will usually claim to build but fail and certainly won't run.
- Debugging doesn't work in VMWare Player (breakpoints can be set but never hi
t. Using the Cosmos Debugger I can see trace messages but nothing in VS Debugger)
General comment on changes:
- All source now targets .Net 4.5 since the latest SDK DLLs target 4.5
- All projects that had VS SDK references now at least include or have updated to newest (12.0) refs (likewise any Shell refs)
- Setup2\Cosmos.iss and Code.inc : Changed all 2010 to 2013 and 10.0 to 12.0 - haven't looked into whether ids need changing / .Net framework version / anything else... even the changes I have made are still a bit broken but they just about do the job.
- Cosmos.VS.Package, .Windows and .XSharp: I had to manually edit the .csproj files and force the path to imported microsoft.vssdk.targets to be to v12.0 not 11.0. iv>
- Added a .ToCharArray plug implementation to StringImpl because IL2CPU compiler was complaining (even on a brand new C# Kernel Cosmos project!)
- Cosmos project type must include <TargetFramework>v4.5</TargetFramework> attribute else VS2013 and the compiler have hissy fits and cry themselves to sleep...
- (Unrelated to Cosmos but need to know:) If you installed Hyper-V with VS2013 Ultimate you need to turn it off to get VMWare Player to install.
A few questions then:
- Does anyone know why registry keys would just "not be created"?? Seems very bizarre. Do the parent keys have to pre-exist or can the installer create multiple levels of sub-key in one command?
- Is the "zips not being copied" issue a know
n bug or is that something I have introduced? If so, any suggestions as to likely cause would be nice!
- Debugging stuff - which projects in Cosmos handle the debugger integration with VS? (Cosmos.Debug.VSDebugEngine??) Will they need special adaptation for new version of VS / VS debugging engine do we think?
Thanks very much,