Bobby S | 2 Sep 04:29 2008
Picon

Forcing width of TOC

Is there a way in this code to force a specific width of the TOC (not
just the table it is in but the actual TOC area)?

{| cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 style="margin-bottom: 1em; float:
right; margin-right: 0em; padding: 0em 0em 0em 1em;
|
__TOC__
|}

Right now the width is based on the values in the TOC (header values),
but I want to force a specific width.

Many thanks,
Bobby
Cameron | 2 Sep 06:00 2008
Picon

Enable search across all namespaces by default?

Hi All,

Is there a way of enabling the default search to include all namespaces by
default? I realise you can tick them yourself but I am wanting this to be
default behaviour for my users.

Thanks
Cameron
Benjamin Lees | 2 Sep 07:24 2008
Picon

Re: Enable search across all namespaces by default?

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 12:00 AM, Cameron <cameronem@...> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Is there a way of enabling the default search to include all namespaces by
> default? I realise you can tick them yourself but I am wanting this to be
> default behaviour for my users.
>
> Thanks
> Cameron

Change $wgNamespacesToBeSearchedDefault <
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgNamespacesToBeSearchedDefault>.
Saar Machtinger | 2 Sep 16:06 2008

Troubles transfering a DB from windows to unix system

Hi,

I am a bit lost here. I have a mediawiki on our IIS. I am now trying to move
this to a hosted unix server, but I find it frustrating.

I get too many errors, and I am lost.

I will try to brief:

created a dump of the current db
copied all php files and directories (except images for now - too large) to
the new server
Installed a mysql 4.1 on the server
extracted the dump
updated localsetting to have the new server, db,username and password.

*I renamed the DB from pmwikidb to optitexpmwiki - however, I don't think
that this is the problem, please please , if anyone can help me.

but I get errors trying to run index.php now

please find quoted:
QUOTE
MediaWiki internal error.

Original exception: exception 'DBQueryError' with message 'A database error
has occurred
Query: SELECT value,exptime FROM `mw_objectcache` WHERE
keyname='OptiTexPmWiki-mw_:messages'
Function: MediaWikiBagOStuff::_doquery
(Continue reading)

Daniel Barrett | 2 Sep 16:21 2008

Re: Extensions and threading - how to bring your wiki to a halt

>Daniel Barrett wrote:
>> It seems that one slow extension can bring MediaWiki to a halt. For
>> example, if you define a <wait> tag that simply sleeps for 20
>> seconds, and you hit a page that contains it, no other MediaWiki
>> pages can be served during those 20 seconds.

Brion Vibber writes:
>I did a quick test with this on my local wiki; it looks like it may be
>session-related.
>
>If I preview a page with <wait>20</wait>, then go load something up in
>another tab in the same browser, it sits there waiting on both tabs.
> (Confirmed with Firefox 3 and Safari 3 on Mac OS X.)
>
>If on the other hand I go load things up in another browser, there's no
>delay there.

Interesting.
I tried this on our site, and using multiple browsers/sessions made no difference.
Using Firefox 2 from host1 (hitting the <wait> page) and lynx from host2 (hitting any
other page), both browsers waited the full 20 seconds.

>And indeed, it appears that PHP session files are by default locked to
>prevent multiple simultaneous accesses.

Is this a PHP issue or a MediaWiki issue, and is there a workaround?

Should this be filed as a "priority 1" bug?  Many of our users
are getting timeouts due to this problem, ever since we upgraded to 1.13
from 1.12.
(Continue reading)

Daniel Friesen | 2 Sep 16:59 2008
Picon

Re: Extensions and threading - how to bring your wiki to a halt

FWIW: http://ca3.php.net/manual/en/function.session-write-close.php
"Session data is usually stored after your script terminated without the 
need to call *session_write_close()*, but as session data is *locked* to 
prevent concurrent writes *only one script may operate on a session* at 
any time. When using framesets together with sessions you will 
experience the frames loading *one by one due to this locking*. You can 
reduce the time needed to load all the frames by ending the session as 
soon as all changes to session variables are done."

~Daniel Friesen(Dantman, Nadir-Seen-Fire) of:
-The Nadir-Point Group (http://nadir-point.com)
--It's Wiki-Tools subgroup (http://wiki-tools.com)
--The ElectronicMe project (http://electronic-me.org)
--Games-G.P.S. (http://ggps.org)
-And Wikia ACG on Wikia.com (http://wikia.com/wiki/Wikia_ACG)
--Animepedia (http://anime.wikia.com)
--Narutopedia (http://naruto.wikia.com)

Daniel Barrett wrote:
>> Daniel Barrett wrote:
>>     
>>> It seems that one slow extension can bring MediaWiki to a halt. For
>>> example, if you define a <wait> tag that simply sleeps for 20
>>> seconds, and you hit a page that contains it, no other MediaWiki
>>> pages can be served during those 20 seconds.
>>>       
>
> Brion Vibber writes:
>   
>> I did a quick test with this on my local wiki; it looks like it may be
(Continue reading)

John van V. | 2 Sep 17:24 2008
Picon

Re: Getting list of articles for sitemap template

Hi all,

I just want to give this posting a "bump"

I am thinking that what I need is to be able to find the list of articles of
the RDBMS, and create a page from it.

Truthfully I lack the remotest awareness of how the system works, and I have
been using frozen complex structures (in Perl) all my life rather than an
RDBMS.

If I could get some pointers to favorite text on the system's inner
workings, I would be very grateful.

~~John

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 12:06 PM, John van V. <john.van.v@...> wrote:

>
> Hello all,
>
> My wiki is being used to support projects and format plans.  I am also
> using it to format documentation, and very soon contributors may be adding
> pages at a high rate.
>
> What I am hoping to develop is a page that lists all the pages in an
> automated site map.
>
> Any advice would be greatly appreciated
>
(Continue reading)

Benjamin Lees | 2 Sep 18:40 2008
Picon

Re: Getting list of articles for sitemap template

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 11:24 AM, John van V. <john.van.v@...> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just want to give this posting a "bump"
>
> I am thinking that what I need is to be able to find the list of articles
> of
> the RDBMS, and create a page from it.
>
> Truthfully I lack the remotest awareness of how the system works, and I
> have
> been using frozen complex structures (in Perl) all my life rather than an
> RDBMS.
>
> If I could get some pointers to favorite text on the system's inner
> workings, I would be very grateful.
>
> ~~John
>
>
>
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 12:06 PM, John van V. <john.van.v@...>
> wrote:
>
> >
> > Hello all,
> >
> > My wiki is being used to support projects and format plans.  I am also
> > using it to format documentation, and very soon contributors may be
(Continue reading)

Daniel Barrett | 2 Sep 19:10 2008

Re: Extensions and threading - how to bring your wiki to a halt

I've confirmed that one slow MediaWiki page (due to a slow extension) blocks the
entire webserver from serving any other MediaWiki pages.  Not just a single session.
This is on CentOS 5 Linux with PHP 5.1.6 and MediaWiki 1.13.0.

1. Hit a wiki article that uses my <wait> tag (previously described)
that sleeps for 20 seconds.
2. Ask another user on another PC to hit any wiki page during those 20 seconds.
The wiki is unresponsive during those 20 seconds.  As soon as the <wait> ends,
other pages can be served.

Any idea why this would be?

Long-lived extensions are realistic, e.g., those that hit an external resource
that is slow to respond.

DanB

-----Original Message-----
FWIW: http://ca3.php.net/manual/en/function.session-write-close.php
"Session data is usually stored after your script terminated without the
need to call *session_write_close()*, but as session data is *locked* to
prevent concurrent writes *only one script may operate on a session* at
any time. When using framesets together with sessions you will
experience the frames loading *one by one due to this locking*. You can
reduce the time needed to load all the frames by ending the session as
soon as all changes to session variables are done."

~Daniel Friesen
Daniel Friesen | 2 Sep 19:16 2008
Picon

Re: Extensions and threading - how to bring your wiki to a halt

Perhaps we should begin to look at this at a webserver level. Perhaps 
the webserver is blocking and can only handle one request at a time.
Try testing this on a variety of webservers. Apache, lighttpd, nginx...
I think Apache used worker processes, and I know that nginx does. So it 
may be a good idea to debug this on different numbers of worker processes.

~Daniel Friesen(Dantman, Nadir-Seen-Fire) of:
-The Nadir-Point Group (http://nadir-point.com)
--It's Wiki-Tools subgroup (http://wiki-tools.com)
--The ElectronicMe project (http://electronic-me.org)
--Games-G.P.S. (http://ggps.org)
-And Wikia ACG on Wikia.com (http://wikia.com/wiki/Wikia_ACG)
--Animepedia (http://anime.wikia.com)
--Narutopedia (http://naruto.wikia.com)

Daniel Barrett wrote:
> I've confirmed that one slow MediaWiki page (due to a slow extension) blocks the
> entire webserver from serving any other MediaWiki pages.  Not just a single session.
> This is on CentOS 5 Linux with PHP 5.1.6 and MediaWiki 1.13.0.
>
> 1. Hit a wiki article that uses my <wait> tag (previously described)
> that sleeps for 20 seconds.
> 2. Ask another user on another PC to hit any wiki page during those 20 seconds.
> The wiki is unresponsive during those 20 seconds.  As soon as the <wait> ends,
> other pages can be served.
>
> Any idea why this would be?
>
> Long-lived extensions are realistic, e.g., those that hit an external resource
> that is slow to respond.
(Continue reading)


Gmane