Brion Vibber | 1 Apr 08:08 2004
Picon

Re: Notice level fixes

On Mar 31, 2004, at 04:53, <ross.nicoll@...> wrote:
> I've recently started using Mediawiki, and one of the things I've 
> noticed is that if you don't ignore notice level errors from PHP, you 
> get a lot of warnings about undefined variables. So, I've started work 
> on fixing this, and have attached a patch that fixes the most common 
> of the problems.

We've already been working on this in 1.3 (along with other changes), 
but thanks for the 1.2.2 patch. I'll take a look over it...

-- brion vibber (brion  <at>  pobox.com)
Brion Vibber | 1 Apr 08:24 2004
Picon

Re: Notice level fixes

Okay, I've integrated a couple of the fixes for accidentally used 
uninitialized  vars, but the rest is just our sloppy coding style using 
uninitialized locals as empty data. :) Rather than introducing more 
code changes to the stable release that don't alter the actual 
functioning (and probably still leave notice messages when something 
previously untested comes up), I'm going to add a switch that disables 
the E_NOTICE error reporting level.

In 1.3 we've been changing the way that parameters are read from the 
web request and cleaning up a lot of uninitialized locals and globals 
along the way; one of the goals is to make everything run cleanly with 
E_NOTICE on. If you'd like to pitch in there, it'd be best to grab the 
head branch out of CVS and join the wikitech-l mailing list.

-- brion vibber (brion  <at>  pobox.com)
Dan Carlson | 1 Apr 21:34 2004

Range blocks help

I've had a problem user who's been ignoring (or not receiving) any and 
all attempts to contact him/her in the past two weeks.  We've decided, 
after some discussion, to try a 48-hour block to see if that catches 
their attention.  However, this person is using a floating IP address, 
that can be anywhere in the 64.107.*.* range.  I've used the [[meta: 
Range blocks]] page to block all pages in the 64.107.0.* address range, 
but that's not enough.

How can I block all addresses in the 64.107.*.* range?  (I've already 
checked the IP address identity; it's a local ISP and not a major 
national chain or anything like AOL.)

Thanks,
Dan Carlson
http://memoryalpha.st-minutiae.com/
Dan Carlson | 1 Apr 23:10 2004

Error: Blocks not working!

Okay, so after deciding that I was reaching a bit too far, we've 
instituted several single-IP blocks to try to stop this anonymous 
problem user from making his constant edits.  However, after we set the 
block with his latest IP address, he made several more edits!  
Something's wrong here...

You can see for yourself: 
http://memoryalpha.st-minutiae.com/en/index.php/Special:Recentchanges 
-- pay attention to the Block log and the Sandbox.

(Again, I'm running MediaWiki 1.2.0...)

Dan
Dan Carlson | 1 Apr 23:49 2004

Forbidding anonymous edits in MediaWiki?

I'd like to know if it's possible under the current system to require 
contributors to register a user account before they may make edits to 
any pages.  I realize that this isn't exactly in the spirit of the wiki 
system, but we've had a problem with a user lately who hasn't been 
paying attention to our repeated requests to follow the rules.  One of 
the options we'd like to consider is requiring contributors to register 
first.

But, is that possible using the current software?  How could I set that 
up?  I've taken a look at DefaultSettings.php, and I see the variable 
$wgWhitelistEdit and the array $wgWhitelistAccount, and I was wondering 
if those have anything to do with what I'm looking for.

Thanks,
Dan
Brion Vibber | 2 Apr 00:46 2004
Picon

Re: Error: Blocks not working!

On Apr 1, 2004, at 13:10, Dan Carlson wrote:
> Okay, so after deciding that I was reaching a bit too far, we've 
> instituted several single-IP blocks to try to stop this anonymous 
> problem user from making his constant edits.  However, after we set 
> the block with his latest IP address, he made several more edits!  
> Something's wrong here...

Make this change to BlockCache.php:

	function load()
	{
		global $wgUseMemCached, $wgMemc;
		if ( $this->mData === false) {
			$this->mData = array();
			^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Remove that last line! It breaks blocking on non-memcached 
configurations. sigh...

-- brion vibber (brion  <at>  pobox.com)
Brion Vibber | 2 Apr 00:49 2004
Picon

Re: Forbidding anonymous edits in MediaWiki?

On Apr 1, 2004, at 13:49, Dan Carlson wrote:
> I'd like to know if it's possible under the current system to require 
> contributors to register a user account before they may make edits to 
> any pages.  I realize that this isn't exactly in the spirit of the 
> wiki system, but we've had a problem with a user lately who hasn't 
> been paying attention to our repeated requests to follow the rules.  
> One of the options we'd like to consider is requiring contributors to 
> register first.
>
> But, is that possible using the current software?  How could I set 
> that up?  I've taken a look at DefaultSettings.php, and I see the 
> variable $wgWhitelistEdit and the array $wgWhitelistAccount, and I was 
> wondering if those have anything to do with what I'm looking for.

Yep. Set $wgWhitelistEdit = true; in LocalSettings.php to require 
logins.

-- brion vibber (brion  <at>  pobox.com)
jon.howitt | 2 Apr 02:41 2004

install errors

i keep getting mysql errors when trying to set up the mediawiki locally
database.php line 196
supplied argument is not a valid mysql-link resource.

any ideas what i need to sort out with the following installed
redhat9.0
php-4.3.5
mysql-4.0.18

cheers
Jon_H
Brion Vibber | 2 Apr 02:54 2004
Picon

Re: install errors

On Apr 1, 2004, at 16:41, jon.howitt wrote:
> i keep getting mysql errors when trying to set up the mediawiki locally
> database.php line 196
> supplied argument is not a valid mysql-link resource.

Is this MediaWiki 1.2.2 or antoher version? Are you using the old 
command-line install.php or the new config/index.php web installer? Is 
MySQL running locally? Is a MySQL root password configured? What's the 
exact procedure you're following to install? What output comes before 
the error message? (Please list all of the output! We generally cannot 
diagnose a problem without knowing how you got there.)

-- brion vibber (brion  <at>  pobox.com)
Evan Prodromou | 2 Apr 03:27 2004

Re: Forbidding anonymous edits in MediaWiki?

>>>>> "DC" == Dan Carlson <minutiaeman@...> writes:

    DC> I'd like to know if it's possible under the current system to
    DC> require contributors to register a user account before they
    DC> may make edits to any pages.  I realize that this isn't
    DC> exactly in the spirit of the wiki system, but we've had a
    DC> problem with a user lately who hasn't been paying attention to
    DC> our repeated requests to follow the rules.

Not to preach too hard, but: I suggest you think hard about what
you're doing.

It is a hassle dealing with unwanted edits, I know. Rolling back
unwanted edits takes time and effort. But if you think about it, it's
also an exercise in strengthening your community.

Other members of your wiki will know that they can count on each other
to maintain the editorial integrity of the site. And they know that
it's their job to do it, too.

Best of all, they know that Wiki Works. And it does. There are
hundreds if not thousands of open-editable wikis around the
Internet. They have great information, they work well, and they have
robust communities that keep them in good shape. And, trust me: you're
not the first wiki to have to deal with an uncooperative editor.

If you implement technological measures to maintain editorial
integrity, that means there's now one person who's responsible:
you. Or, rather, you, plus whoever's working on MediaWiki.

(Continue reading)


Gmane