[Bug 198] Easy, secure in-place upgrade
------- Additional Comments From brettz9@... 2007-02-01
02:27 UTC -------
After trying to work through with it on my own, I discovered a few things that
could at least get the update1_5.php and update.php files from the commandline
to complete without errors.
1) As I was doing testing on a Windows machine (but for a LocalSettings.php file
from a Linux machine), I found I had to change the ":" separator in
LocalSettings.php to a semicolon. Although changing the colons to just $sep
works ok with the updating, it doesn't work on a live site since $sep isn't
declared on a live site.
2) Due to what seems to be changes in MySQL 5.? (see
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/server-sql-mode.html ), I ran the mysql
command line "set global sql_mode =
'NO_AUTO_CREATE_USER,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION'" after discovering that
STRICT_TRANS_TABLES was interfering with the script (something about 'blob/text'
not having defaults, as I recall).
3) In FiveUpgrade.inc, I needed to take this line so that I wouldn't get a
double "maintenance/archives" in the URL and thus an error: dbsource(
'maintenance/archives/patch-interwiki-trans.sql', $this->dbw );
... and replace it with this line:
dbsource( archive('patch-interwiki-trans.sql'), $this->dbw );
Now the database does include new UTF-8 tables, but I still have the following
tables with Latin1 data (I really thought the script was going to convert my old
data to UTF-8 but it said that these tables already existed and seemed to do
nothing with them): brokenlinks, cur, interwiki, objectcache, searchindex, text.