[CIS-A2K] October 2015 Newsletter
2015-11-12 15:31:57 GMT
Centre for Internet and Society' Access To Knowledge (CIS-A2K) program would like to share with you the newsletter below for the month of October 2015. We look forward to hear any feedback or input you might have.
== 1000 Marathi books by Marathi-language non-profit to come online on Marathi Wikisource with Open Access ==
As the Maharashtra Granthottejak Sanstha (MGS), a non-profit organization working for the preservation of the "Peshwa" culture in Maharashtra, and based in Pune, India, celebrated its 121st anniversary recently, the organization relicensed 1000 books for Marathi Wikisource under CC-by-SA 4.0 license so that the books could be digitized and be made available for millions of Marathi readers. Avinash Chaphekar from the organization signed a document permitting Wikimedians to digitize the books on the Wikisource. On this special occasion of the anniversary, a three-day book exhibition was organized starting October 30.
our question "Could you please share with us your ideas of
opening these invaluable books for Wikisource? How they are
going to be useful for the online readers to learn about the
Peshwas?", Mr Chaphekar says:
“These books are of historical importance and cover topics that are rarely covered well anywhere else. This information should reach to more people. Right after our Prime Minister Narendra Modi recommended to read the autobiography of Benjamin Franklin as it contains a lot of messages for a common man, a lady walked to us once and asked if she can read this Marathi. Such books that were published by the Sanstha should not be kept closed as a lot many readers are searching for such books. We might not have a very great presence in the media or the Internet. How does any reader who does not know us buy a book? If these books are available online they could at least find and read them”.
== Event organized/participated ==
(CIS-A2K events page: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/CIS-A2K/Events)
⬤ Konkani-language books from Konkani-language culture center Mannd Sobhaann to enrich Konkani Wikipedia: (http://cis-india.org/openness/konkani-language-books-from-konkani-language-culture-center-mannd-sobhaann-to-enrich-konkani-wikipedia) Mannd Sobhaann (http://www.manddsobhann.org/), a private organization working for unification of Konkani people around the world, preservation and promotion of Konkani language and culture, has recently relicensed 3 of their published books under a CC-by-SA 4.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0) license. Erik Ozario, founder of the organization has kindly permitted to open these books under free license so they get digitized on Konkani Wikisource (https://wikisource.org/wiki/Main_Page/Konkani) and contribute in enriching the Goan Konkani Wikipedia (https://goo.gl/780B6r). Thanks to our friend Harriet Vidyasagar (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Outofindia) for helping in acquiring these books.
⬤ Odia Wikisource 1st anniversary celebration: (https://goo.gl/nXRmvr) Odia Wikimedia community celebrated Odia Wikisource's first anniversary at the Institute on Management of Agricultural Extension (IMAGE), Siripur, Bhubaneswar, Odisha. Jeeban Panda and Puspashree Pattnaik from Bhubaneswar based non-profit Srujanika presented the organization's journey in digitizing over 150K folios of many Odia-language books. They also announced relicensing Srujanika’s entire publication (over 700 books) under a free license and digitizing them Wikisource. These books include various science publications by the organization over last two decades. In a panel discussion about the "need for digital platforms for Odia books", participated noted linguist Debi Prasanna Pattnaik, Professor Jatin Nayak, Sudhir Pattnaik, Editor, Samadrusti and Anil Pradhan, Editor, Sikhya Sandhan. The community also had a day long discussion about setting priorities and goals for the project in the coordination of the project's administrator Mrutyunjaya Kar (https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/or:User:MKar). There was a survey made where Wikimedians reflected their views on various activities.
⬤ Wikipedia Workshop at Sinhgad Institute of Technology and Sciences: (https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_Workshop_in_Sinhgad_Institute_of_Technology_and_Science,_Pune#Project_Aim) This workshop was aimed at introducing Wikipedia to the engineering undergraduate students use the Marathi Wikipedia to disseminate what they are learning in Marathi-language. About 11 students took part and learned input in Marathi and Wikipedia in various topics of their interest.
== Upcoming events: Train-a-Wikipedian ==
CIS-A2K is going to start a new project Train-a-Wikipedian (TAW, https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/CIS-A2K/Train-a-Wikipedian). In February and June this year, CIS-A2K conducted Train the Trainer (TTT, https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/CIS-A2K/Events/Train_the_Trainer_Program) and MediaWiki Train the Trainer (MWTTT, https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MWTTT). After conducting these two events, and communicating with the participants the need to start a training program on regular basis was felt and designing the "Train-a-Wikipedian" program was initiated. Initially, the focus would be on five Focus Language Areas (FLAs); a) Kannada, b) Konkani, c) Marathi, d) Odia, and e) Telugu, and the program might be scaled up slowly based on its first pilot implementation. The TAW page on Meta-wiki (https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/TAW), a number of topics are listed that are going to be discussed. As not everything could be imparted to every single participant, almost all the training sessions are going to be custom-made where the learners will be independently selecting topics of their own interest. Suggestions and inputs on this program are welcome!
== Blog posts ==
⬤ Panigrahi, Subhashish. WikipediansSpeak: Telugu-language library catalog project helps Wikipedia grow,(http://cis-india.org/a2k/blogs/wikimedia-blog-october-9-2015-subhashish-panigrahi-telugu-library-catalog-project-wikipedians-speak) 11 October 2015;
⬤ Panigrahi, Subhashish. Odia Wikisource to Celebrate Its First Anniversary in Bhubaneswar, (http://cis-india.org/a2k/blogs/mybhubaneswar-october-25-2015-subhashish-panigrahi-odia-wikisource-celebrates-its-first-anniversary-in-bhubaneswar) 24 October 2015;
⬤ Agarwal, Shirish. Hamara Linux at Wikipedia workshop. Hamaralinux.org, 27 October 2015;
== Media coverage ==
1. How to do Guerilla GLAM (https://blogs.otago.ac.nz/openotago/2015/10/06/how-to-do-guerilla-glam/), University of Otago, 6 October 2015;
2. ଓଡ଼ିଆ ଉଇକିପାଠାଗାରର ଆବଶ୍ୟକତା ସମାଜ (http://www.fullodisha.com/odia-wikiource-to-celebrate-its-first-anniversary-at-bhubaneswar/) Full Odisha, 24 October 2015;
3. Odia Wikisource to Celebrate Its First Anniversary in Bhubaneswar (http://mybhubaneswar.com/odia-wikisource-anniversary/) Mybhubaneswar.com, 24 October 2015
4. Odia Wikisource celebrates 1st anniversary this 25th October (http://www.bhubaneswarbuzz.com/events/odia-wikisource-celebrates-1st-anniversary-this-25th-october) Bhubaneswar Buzz, 24 October 2015,
5. "महाराष्ट्र ग्रंथोत्तेजक" होणार लोकाभिमुख, महाराष्ट्र टाईम्स, Maharashtra Times, 24 October 2015;
6. Odia Wikisource to Celebrate Its 1st Birth Anniversary Today At IMAGE, Bhubaneswar (http://www.odiaportal.in/2015/10/odia-wikisource-to-celebrate-its-1st.html) Odiaportal.in, 25 October 2015;
7. ଭୁବନେଶ୍ୱରରେ ଓଡ଼ିଆ ଉଇକିପାଠାଗାରର ପ୍ରଥମ ଜନ୍ମତିଥି ପାଳନ (http://goo.gl/WiC5hS) Odia Pua, 25 October 2015;
8. Odia Wikisource to celebrate its first anniversary tomorrow! (http://odishasuntimes.com/2015/10/25/odia-wikisource-to-celebrate-its-first-anniversary-tomorrow/), Odisha Sun Times, 25 October 2015;
9. Odia language classics could now be read from phones, tablets and of course from computers!, (http://www.orissadiary.com/CurrentNews.asp?id=62374) Orissa Diary, 25 October 2015;
10. Odia Wikisource to Hold 1st Anniversary (http://www.dailypioneer.com/state-editions/bhubaneswar/odia-wikisource-to-hold-1st-anniv.html), The pioneer, 26 October 2015;
11. Otago Southland are the Coolest (http://www.lianza.org.nz/article/otago-southland-are-coolest), Library and Information Association of New Zealand, 26 October 2015;
12. Open Access Week round up (https://blogs.otago.ac.nz/openotago/), University of Otago, 27 October 2015;
13. मराठी पुस्तके 'विकिस्रोत'ला, सकाळ, Sakaal, 28 October 2015;
14. महाराष्ट्र ग्रंथोत्तेजक संस्थेमधील एक हजार ग्रंथ ऑनलाइन, सामना Saamna, 28 October 2015;
15. India & France to digitise manuscripts, artworks & archives (http://www.medianama.com/2015/10/223-india-france-manuscript-digitisation/), Medianama, 29 October 2015;
16. एक हजार ग्रंथ ऑनलाइन, महाराष्ट्र टाईम्स, Maharashtra Times, 30 October 2015;
== Op-eds ==
⬤ Panigrahi, Subhashish. ଓଡ଼ିଆ ଉଇକିପାଠାଗାରର ଆବଶ୍ୟକତା (Need for an Odia-language Wikisource) (http://editors.cis-india.org/a2k/blogs/samaja-october-25-2015-subhashish-panigrahi-need-for-an-odia-language-wikisource), Samaja, 25 October 2015;
This newsletter is also available on Meta at:https://cis-india.org
_______________________________________________ Wikimedia-in-blr mailing list Wikimedia-in-blr <at> lists.wikimedia.org https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-in-blr