andreas meier | 1 Apr 01:14 2012
Picon

WikiData and Football, WikiData and OpenGovernmentData, 2.9 Mio Eur from European tax payers

Hi,

Through reports in the German Television I was made aware of the WikiData
project. This sounds really interesting. I could also find the press
announcement online. There was a reference to the European Union Project,
which seemed to be instrumental to kick this off: http://render-project.eu,
and I was surprised that such diverse entities were behind this: Google in
Ireland, Telefonica in Spain, KIT University in Germany, SIT University in
Austria, JSI University in Slovenia, and Ontotext from Bulgaria. The budget
of Render is 4.4 Mio Eur, and the contribution from European taxpayers is
2.9 Mio Eur.

I also saw the first year presentation:
http://render-project.eu/resources/presentations/project-review-year-1, and
am wondering if and how the following use cases fit into the project.

1. Open Goverment Data
There is a German Wikipedia article about this:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Government_Data. And also a website
explaining it a little more: http://opengovernmentdata.org/.
Will there be any liason of WikiData with Open Goverment Data?

2. Sports Results
When I tried to edit Wikipedia first, i wanted to update some sports
results of my favoured football club F.C. Barcelona. Unfortunately I
failed. I failed as well to copy from another language, the table syntax
was too complicated and it somehow seems to differ from one languate
version to the other. Will WikiData address current sports results,
updating it and make it available for all language versions of Wikipedia?

(Continue reading)

phoebe ayers | 1 Apr 07:49 2012
Picon

Re: foundation-l Digest, Vol 96, Issue 95

On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 11:40 PM, Thomas Dalton
<thomas.dalton@...> wrote:
> On 31 March 2012 22:33, Federico Leva (Nemo) <nemowiki@...> wrote:
>> P.s.: It's a bit weird to focus so much on the reasons to oppose; why should
>> opposing be justified /more/ than supporting?
>
> There's supposed to be a Q&A coming that will explain the supports.

That's true! Soon -- in a couple of days (everyone is traveling
today/tomorrow so it's hard to review quickly). I'll send a note when
we get it done, of course.

In the meantime, if there are any questions for us (as a board) or for
individual trustees I encourage you simply to send those along, either
to me (if you want them to go to the whole board, as I will pass them
along) or privately. That would help make sure that we can address the
questions people actually have, rather than speculating. It sounds
like people are interested in individual trustee motives. I do think
it's better if trustees individually write/talk about where they are
coming from, rather than trying to put that information in an official
document like the minutes, where everything is condensed and there is
the possibility of misrepresentation.

Nemo, thanks for sending around the notes -- that's quite helpful! I
think we have some notes that Joslyn took too, I'll see if there is
anything I can add from that (though etherpad still doesn't seem to
work well in my browser - boo.)

-- phoebe

(Continue reading)

Lydia Pintscher | 1 Apr 09:46 2012
Picon

Re: WikiData and Football, WikiData and OpenGovernmentData, 2.9 Mio Eur from European tax payers

Hi Andreas

On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 1:14 AM, andreas meier <meier.andi <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Through reports in the German Television I was made aware of the WikiData
> project. This sounds really interesting. I could also find the press

Hah! Nice. Do you remember where you saw it?

> announcement online. There was a reference to the European Union Project,
> which seemed to be instrumental to kick this off: http://render-project.eu,
> and I was surprised that such diverse entities were behind this: Google in
> Ireland, Telefonica in Spain, KIT University in Germany, SIT University in
> Austria, JSI University in Slovenia, and Ontotext from Bulgaria. The budget
> of Render is 4.4 Mio Eur, and the contribution from European taxpayers is
> 2.9 Mio Eur.
>
> I also saw the first year presentation:
> http://render-project.eu/resources/presentations/project-review-year-1, and
> am wondering if and how the following use cases fit into the project.
>
> 1. Open Goverment Data
> There is a German Wikipedia article about this:
> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Government_Data. And also a website
> explaining it a little more: http://opengovernmentdata.org/.
> Will there be any liason of WikiData with Open Goverment Data?

Possibly. If and how is one of the things we have to decide in the community.

(Continue reading)

David Gerard | 1 Apr 12:25 2012
Picon

Conservapedia announce exciting new linked data project

"America’s most trusted encyclopedia, Conservapedia, have decided to
launch a new wiki-based semantic data project named Conservadata. The
new project will make right-wing soundbites available in machine
readable form."

http://blog.tommorris.org/post/20277406012/conservadata

- d.

_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
foundation-l <at> lists.wikimedia.org
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Svip | 1 Apr 15:37 2012
Picon

Re: Conservapedia announce exciting new linked data project

On 1 April 2012 12:25, David Gerard <dgerard <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> "America’s most trusted encyclopedia, Conservapedia, have decided to
> launch a new wiki-based semantic data project named Conservadata. The
> new project will make right-wing soundbites available in machine
> readable form."
>
> http://blog.tommorris.org/post/20277406012/conservadata

Great!  Now even bullshit will be indexable!

_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
foundation-l <at> lists.wikimedia.org
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Federico Leva (Nemo | 1 Apr 23:10 2012
Picon

"We've figured out fundraising"

This is something I've hard multiple times, and it always reminds me 
this unsettling graph: 
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Surexploitation_morue_surp%C3%AAcheEn.jpg> 
[1]
I'm quite sure fishermen thought they had fugured out cod fishing in the 
end of the 60s, but only a couple years afterwards it was too late to 
stop the extinction of the stocks.
Forgive me if you don't consider it relevant.

Nemo

[1] Source: http://www.maweb.org/documents/document.429.aspx.pdf

_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
foundation-l@...
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l

Federico Leva (Nemo | 1 Apr 23:15 2012
Picon

Re: foundation-l Digest, Vol 96, Issue 95

phoebe ayers, 01/04/2012 07:49:
> In the meantime, if there are any questions for us (as a board) or for
> individual trustees I encourage you simply to send those along, either
> to me (if you want them to go to the whole board, as I will pass them
> along) or privately. That would help make sure that we can address the
> questions people actually have, rather than speculating. It sounds
> like people are interested in individual trustee motives. I do think
> it's better if trustees individually write/talk about where they are
> coming from, rather than trying to put that information in an official
> document like the minutes, where everything is condensed and there is
> the possibility of misrepresentation.

Misrepresentation is a risk also for "majority views": minutes are 
always partial but they're supposed to explain or briefly highlight how 
the body came to some conclusion. Individual members should also be able 
to submit a few lines of explanation summarizing their view, if they 
want (again, I don't know if some of them actually wants, but they 
should definitely be allowed to).

> Nemo, thanks for sending around the notes -- that's quite helpful! I
> think we have some notes that Joslyn took too, I'll see if there is
> anything I can add from that (though etherpad still doesn't seem to
> work well in my browser - boo.)

Don't use HTTPS! Unless the editing is still hectic (I doubt so), we 
could just immediately move those on Meta, which is their final 
destination anyway.

Nemo

(Continue reading)

Mike Dupont | 2 Apr 06:53 2012

Re: Conservapedia announce exciting new linked data project

happy april first

On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 3:37 PM, Svip <svippy@...> wrote:

> On 1 April 2012 12:25, David Gerard <dgerard@...> wrote:
>
> > "America’s most trusted encyclopedia, Conservapedia, have decided to
> > launch a new wiki-based semantic data project named Conservadata. The
> > new project will make right-wing soundbites available in machine
> > readable form."
> >
> > http://blog.tommorris.org/post/20277406012/conservadata
>
> Great!  Now even bullshit will be indexable!
>
> _______________________________________________
> foundation-l mailing list
> foundation-l@...
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
>

--

-- 
James Michael DuPont
Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova http://flossk.org
_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
foundation-l@...
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l

(Continue reading)

phoebe ayers | 2 Apr 07:47 2012
Picon

Board of Trustees resolutions

Dear all,

The Board of Trustees had a meeting this weekend in conjunction with
the Wikimedia chapters conference held in Berlin. As an outcome of the
meeting we discussed and passed nine resolutions, which are published
here:

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolutions

* "Recognizing models of affiliation", and "Affiliations committee"
are related to the movement roles project
(http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Movement_roles) and are in response to
that group's final recommendations. These resolutions recognize three
new models for affiliated Wikimedia groups, and expand the mandate of
Chapcom to cover these new models.

* "Organizational best practices" and "committee standards" are
general best-practices documents that also are related to
recommendations from the movement roles group; these are documents
that we asked the Board audit committee and the Board governance
committee respectively to develop.

* "Board governance committee charter" and "Amendment to Chapter
Committee Rules of Procedure" both relate to creating or amending
committee governing documents. The BGC is an internal board committee
that deals with board appointments and evaluation; the chapter
committee amendments update and clarify the procedure for appointing
new chapters committee members.

* "Funds Dissemination Committee" asks the WMF executive director to
(Continue reading)

Nicole Ebber | 2 Apr 19:25 2012
Picon

EXTENDED DEADLINE - Wikipedia Academy 2012: Research and Free Knowledge

*** Apologies for cross-postings ***

CALL FOR PAPERS - Wikipedia Academy 2012: Research and Free Knowledge.
June 29 - July 1, 2012 | Berlin, Germany

*** EXTENDED submission deadline: 15 Apr 2012 ***

Conference Website: http://wikipedia-academy.de/2012/wiki/Main_Page
Submit your papers here: https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=wpac2012

The “Wikipedia Academy 2012: Research and Free Knowledge” provides a
platform for the research community and the Wikipedia community to
connect, present, discuss and advance research on Wikipedia in
particular and on free knowledge in general.

The Wikipedia Academy 2012 is organized by Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
in collaboration with the Alexander von Humboldt Institute for
Internet and Society and Freie Universität Berlin. The conference will
take place in Berlin, 29 June to 1 July 2012. The event will be open
to all interested parties and features a variety of session formats
ranging from workshops, panel discussions and tracks with traditional
paper and poster presentations to break-out sessions, lightning talks,
speed geeking and a free culture brunch. We particularly invite young
doctoral and postdoctoral researcher to participate and to submit
extended abstracts.

For research paper and poster sessions, we would like to encourage the
submission of extended abstracts addressing issues in the overall
nexus of Wikipedia and free knowledge.

(Continue reading)


Gmane