Erik Moeller | 1 Apr 04:24 2011
Picon

Re: Vector, a year after

2011/3/31 Amir E. Aharoni <amir.aharoni@...>:
> The Vector skin, the main product of the Usability Initiative, was
> deployed on Wikimedia projects in April 2010.
>
> Quoting usability.wikimedia.org: "The goal of this initiative is to
> measurably increase the usability of Wikipedia for new contributors by
> improving the underlying software on the basis of user behavioral
> studies, thereby reducing barriers to public participation."
>
> In the year that passed since then, did anyone measure whether the
> usability of Wikipedia for new contributors increased?

The usability initiative was accompanied by three qualitative studies:

http://usability.wikimedia.org/wiki/Usability,_Experience,_and_Evaluation_Study
http://usability.wikimedia.org/wiki/Usability_and_Experience_Study
http://usability.wikimedia.org/wiki/Usability,_Experience,_and_Progress_Study

Our studies validated that the changes we made did indeed by and large
have the intended effect of simplifying the experience of new users.
With that said, the aggregate editing trends continue to be troubling.
See, for example, this page for a comparison of active editors across
languages:

http://stats.wikimedia.org/EN/TablesWikipediansEditsGt5.htm

.. and, of course, the editor trends study and the New Wikipedians
numbers. But, these larger trends aren't purely technical trends --
they're social trends as well, and it's entirely possible that no
amount of technical improvement is going to even make a meaningful
(Continue reading)

WereSpielChequers | 1 Apr 07:46 2011
Picon

Using updates in one language version of a project to prompt updates in another - was interwiki links

In reply to Yaroslav's suggestion about using the interwiki links and
bots to help keep articles maintained and spread new information
across Wikipedia; Yes absolutely that is what the Death anomalies
project does, and now that we've proved that the concept works it is
worth expanding on.  Merlissimo has already expanded the bot's report
from the original of "people who are alive according to your project
but dead according to another project" to various other less serious
age related biography anomalies.  The technology works, thousands of
articles in dozens of languages have been improved, and it is ready
for rollout to other sorts of maintenance scenarios.
But currently we only have seven projects requesting reports, the
Latin, Slovene, Finnish, Swedish, Gaelic, German and English language
Wikipedias, we extract data from around seventy other language
projects, so if the anomaly is because of an error in say the Italian
Wikipedia then I or someone else might well correct it. But if someone
is dead according to our French article and living according to
articles on the Chinese, Bangla and Afrikaans wikipedias then it
wouldn't currently be picked up as an anomaly as none of those
projects have yet requested a report at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Death_anomalies_table <hint>

On the downside I'm loathe to turn this from an anomaly report to a
bot message to talkpages. Many editors don't have all unicode fonts
installed on their PCs, and the subtle message of "do not use
Wikipedia as a source, treat this as an anomaly where one of the
matched articles may have a reliable source, or may have had an
unsourced change, or may have been vandalised" in my view is safer as
a maintenance report than a bot message.

If you want more info come to Haifa and sit in on
(Continue reading)

Hydriz Wikipedia | 1 Apr 16:46 2011

Re: Vector, a year after


Well, I am very sure I joined Wikimedia due to the change in skin and liked the new skin as compared to Monobook.

Regards,Hydrizhttp://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Hydriz

> From: erik@...
> Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 19:24:48 -0700
> To: foundation-l@...
> Subject: Re: [Foundation-l] Vector, a year after
> 
> 2011/3/31 Amir E. Aharoni <amir.aharoni@...>:
> > The Vector skin, the main product of the Usability Initiative, was
> > deployed on Wikimedia projects in April 2010.
> >
> > Quoting usability.wikimedia.org: "The goal of this initiative is to
> > measurably increase the usability of Wikipedia for new contributors by
> > improving the underlying software on the basis of user behavioral
> > studies, thereby reducing barriers to public participation."
> >
> > In the year that passed since then, did anyone measure whether the
> > usability of Wikipedia for new contributors increased?
> 
> The usability initiative was accompanied by three qualitative studies:
> 
> http://usability.wikimedia.org/wiki/Usability,_Experience,_and_Evaluation_Study
> http://usability.wikimedia.org/wiki/Usability_and_Experience_Study
> http://usability.wikimedia.org/wiki/Usability,_Experience,_and_Progress_Study
> 
> Our studies validated that the changes we made did indeed by and large
> have the intended effect of simplifying the experience of new users.
(Continue reading)

David Gerard | 1 Apr 17:10 2011
Picon

Re: Vector, a year after

On 1 April 2011 15:46, Hydriz Wikipedia <admin@...> wrote:

> Well, I am very sure I joined Wikimedia due to the change in skin and liked the new skin as compared to Monobook.

I've been using it on our work intranet for new wikis. It's gained
unsolicited positive comment. Vector looks nice.

- d.

_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
foundation-l@...
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l

Sarah | 1 Apr 17:29 2011
Picon

Re: Vector, a year after

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 09:10, David Gerard <dgerard@...> wrote:
> I've been using it on our work intranet for new wikis. It's gained
> unsolicited positive comment. Vector looks nice.
>

Do we know how many editors still use Monobook?

Sarah

_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
foundation-l@...
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l

shi zhao | 1 Apr 17:29 2011
Picon

LiquidThreads redesign?

see http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:LiquidThreads#Status

"The original LiquidThreads code has been substantially improved and
augmented by Andrew Garrett at the Wikimedia Foundation since May 2009. In
January 2011, a new re-engineering
project<http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:LiquidThreads/WMF_project_information>was
begun at the Foundation, and it is anticipated that this will result
in
a pilot on a large project by the end of *Q1 2011*."

Now have April 2011, done?

Chinese wikipedia: http://zh.wikipedia.org/
My blog: http://shizhao.org
twitter: https://twitter.com/shizhao

[[zh:User:Shizhao]]
_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
foundation-l@...
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l

Gerard Meijssen | 1 Apr 20:00 2011
Picon

Re: LiquidThreads redesign?

Hoi,
You do not ask a serious question on a day like today..
Thanks,
     GerardM

On 1 April 2011 17:29, shi zhao <shizhao@...> wrote:

> see http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:LiquidThreads#Status
>
> "The original LiquidThreads code has been substantially improved and
> augmented by Andrew Garrett at the Wikimedia Foundation since May 2009. In
> January 2011, a new re-engineering
> project<
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:LiquidThreads/WMF_project_information
> >was
> begun at the Foundation, and it is anticipated that this will result
> in
> a pilot on a large project by the end of *Q1 2011*."
>
> Now have April 2011, done?
>
> Chinese wikipedia: http://zh.wikipedia.org/
> My blog: http://shizhao.org
> twitter: https://twitter.com/shizhao
>
> [[zh:User:Shizhao]]
> _______________________________________________
> foundation-l mailing list
> foundation-l@...
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
(Continue reading)

FT2 | 1 Apr 20:31 2011
Picon

Re: Vector, a year after

I do, but that's mostly because I like a data-dense interface and smaller
font, and probably because I'm comfortable enough with it not to need to
change personally.  Then again I like classic menu on Windows too.

It's quite likely that most people we want to attract would like a more
modern style.

FT2

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 4:29 PM, Sarah <slimvirgin@...> wrote:

> Do we know how many editors still use Monobook?
>
>
_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
foundation-l@...
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l

Fajro | 1 Apr 20:54 2011
Picon

Re: Vector, a year after

I'd like a vector-monobook hybrid.

I miss the boxes in the sidebar, the size and color of the old logo
and the footer of Monobook.

I hate the star as watch icon, it should be an eye.

--

-- 
Fajro

_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
foundation-l@...
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l

Fajro | 1 Apr 21:49 2011
Picon

Re: LiquidThreads redesign?

I never liked the idea of LiquidThreads.

IMHO Wikipedia should have had a forum from the start. If not for the
wiki-fundamentalism and discussion pages our community could be 10
times larger.

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijssen@...> wrote:
> Hoi,
> You do not ask a serious question on a day like today..

We are an international community, not everybody celebrates aprils fools.

--
Fajro

_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
foundation-l@...
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l


Gmane