phoebe ayers | 1 Apr 01:57 2007
Picon

Wikimania scholarships

Scholarships are available to help defray the costs of attending Wikimania
2007, which will be held in Taipei, Taiwan from August 3-5. The deadline for
scholarships has been extended to April 15, 2007; please apply soon.

You can find more information here:
http://wikimania2007.wikimedia.org/wiki/Scholarships
and an application form here:
http://wm07schols.wikimedia.org/apply.php

Registration and our Call for Participation are also both open:
http://wikimania2007.wikimedia.org/wiki/Registration
http://wikimania2007.wikimedia.org/wiki/CfP

Wikimania is the annual conference of the Wikimedia Foundation. It provides
a chance to meet the global community of contributors to the Wikimedia
projects, share ideas and research, and make new friends. All are welcome to
attend and present, but you must be a current editor of a Wikimedia project
to qualify for a scholarship.
Send questions to wikimania-scholarships@... or
wikimania-info@...

Please translate and widely distribute this notice to your communities.

thank you,
Phoebe Ayers
Wikimania 2007 scholarships committee and program committee
daniwo59 | 1 Apr 04:30 2007
Picon

test

test

************************************** See what's free at http://www.aol.com.
daniwo59 | 1 Apr 04:45 2007
Picon

Re: Report on board meeting in Florida


Florence, 
Thank you for  response. I will go through it section by section, explaining 
why I disagree. So  as not to bore people, I will focus only on some points, 
though that does not  mean I agree with your other points.  
You wrote concerning  the most pressing issues, that " The general answer is 
"unfixed". Practically,  we will depend on the good will of volunteer board 
members, and on the good will  of staff who prefer helping than quitting. Eh !"  
I have no idea what  you meant by, "Eh!" unless it was a personal jibe at me. 
That’s fine. As for the  tasks, you made it clear to the staff that you are 
the board member who handles  legal, job descriptions are board responsibility, 
and personnel needs are board  responsibility. You made it clear that you did 
not trust staff to do these  things (more on that later). So all I can assume 
was that this was a personal  attack. As for your statement, "Those tasks are 
not necessarily DONE by the ED,  but under the responsability [sic]of the 
ED," as there is no ED, I can only  assume that there is no one responsible. Of 
course, you also told us you would  be acting as ED unless the board said 
otherwise, so, I assume that unless the  board says otherwise, that are your 
responsibility. 
>> Note that  they are all  ED. Am I too assume that, except for the 
coordination  
>> of legal activities, these  will all be left unfixed until  there is an 
ED, or 
>> will they be dealt with by  some undefined  else. It seems the former is 
the 
>> answer, with the exception   of a legal coordinator. In other words, are 
you 
>> leaving the most  pressing issues  unfixed? If it is the latter "undefined 
else,"  
>> how will the "else" be  selected?
(Continue reading)

Jeffrey V. Merkey | 1 Apr 07:23 2007

Extensive Link Errors related to Proper Names - Needs Fixing


I have been compiling a machine compiled lexicon created from link and 
disambiguation pages from the XML dumps.  Oddly, the associations 
contained in [[ARTICLE_NAME | NAME]] form a comprehesive "real time" 
thesauraus of common associations used by current English Speakers in 
Wikipedia, and perhaps comprise the worlds largest and most comprehesive 
Thesaurus on the planet emedded within the mesh of these links within 
the dumps.  

While going through the dumps and constructing associative link maps of 
all these expressions, I have noticed a serious issue with embdded 
linking with proper names.  It appears there may be a robot running 
somewhere that is associating Proper Names listed in articles about 
relationships between people
by linking blindly to any entry in Wikipedia that matches a name in an 
article.

Some of the content may create controversy to post examples here, so I 
will complete the thesaurus compilation, and folks should go through the 
encyclopedia.  Articles about movies stars and other "gossipy" type 
articles seem to have the highest errors linking proper names to 
unrelated people without proper disambiguation pages.  It could be 
interpreted as violations of WP:BLP and some of the error linkages could 
be troublesome for the foundation.

Whomever is running bots that link between articles should look at 
proper name links based on categories and check into this.  I found a 
large number of these types of errors.  They are subtle, but will most 
probably show up when browsing through articles unless you can analyze 
the link targets and relationships in the dumps.
(Continue reading)

wiki_tomos | 1 Apr 07:33 2007
Picon

check user...

I think check user generates certain legal risk to the Foundation especially 
when he is a minor. 

Wikimedia Foundation has a privacy policy. It seems the Foundation is 
expressively promising that certain information will not be released 
to the third party unless specific conditions are met. 

And here, "third party release" does not include, at least the 
way I read the privacy policy, release of personal information 
from Wikimedia Foundation to a check user. It suggests that, 
at least in the context of privacy policy, the check users are 
insiders for the Foundation, not a third party. 

This, in turn, means that the Foundation has a legal responsibility 
to make check users to understand and follow its privacy policy. 

So when check user breaks the promise - i.e. violate the Foundation's 
privacy policy, one may question if the Foundation is partly responsible 
for the violation. 

If a check user is legally a minor, he may be able to legally get away with 
breaking promises he has made, including the compliance with privacy policy. 
I am not sure if minors really are less reliable than adults, but if they 
are equally unreliable, then the Foundation is more responsible for minors' 
violation of privacy policy than adults. 

So, not because minors are less reliable, but because adults can bear 
more legal risk when they abuse their check user privilege, it is legally 
safer for the Foundation to limit the check user to adults. 

(Continue reading)

Jesse Martin (Pathoschild | 1 Apr 07:54 2007
Picon

Re: Language Prevention Committee created

Hello,

The Language Prevention (sub)Committee would like to announce that the
Kabyle Wikipedia  has entered the localization stage. Once the primary
interface messages are translated, the subcommittee will recommend the
creation of the Kabyle Wikipedia to the board.

The Kabyle Wikipedia will be the first new wiki approved by the
subcommittee, so we've asked the Kabyle community to help tweak the
process for future requests. Based on this discussion, we have made it
unnecessary to translate the entire interface: 327 messages are
currently listed as unnecessary, and users have been invited to
suggest others.

The Language Prevention (sub)Committee is profoundly sorry for failing
to prevent the upcoming creation of the Kabyle Wikipedia, and is in
particular sorry for projecting a far quicker processing rate once the
procedure has been tested.

Yours cordially,
Jesse Martin (Pathoschild)

* request: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_new_languages/Wikipedia_Kabyle
* localization discussion:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Requests_for_new_languages/Wikipedia_Kabyle#Localization

Note: This message is only partially tongue-in-cheek (try to guess
which parts ;) ) and is not an official statement of the language
subcommittee.
(Continue reading)

Mark Williamson | 1 Apr 08:08 2007
Picon

Re: check user...

Just modifying a page has legal implications, AFAIK (ianal).

Mark

On 31/03/07, David Gerard <dgerard@...> wrote:
> On 31/03/07, Sean Whitton (Xyrael) <sean@...> wrote:
>
> > could potentially cause damage. For example, simply being on an
> > arbcom, as an authoritative body, could potentially have legal
> > implications (I don't know if we do have any under 18s on these
> > committees, but I don't know of any policy against it).
>
>
> Sam Korn was on the en:wp arbcom at age 16, though he quit so as not
> to interfere with his A-levels.
>
>
> - d.
>
> _______________________________________________
> foundation-l mailing list
> foundation-l@...
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
>

--

-- 
Refije dirije lanmè yo paske nou posede pwòp bato.
Samuel Klein | 1 Apr 08:53 2007
Picon

Re: check user...


On Sun, 1 Apr 2007, wiki_tomos@... wrote:

> I think check user generates certain legal risk to the Foundation especially
> when he is a minor.

Please help quantify "certain risk".
Simply modifying a page generates certain risk.

> If a check user is legally a minor, he may be able to legally get away with
> breaking promises he has made, including the compliance with privacy policy.
> I am not sure if minors really are less reliable than adults, but if they
> are equally unreliable, then the Foundation is more responsible for minors'
> violation of privacy policy than adults.
>
> So, not because minors are less reliable, but because adults can bear
> more legal risk when they abuse their check user privilege, it is legally
> safer for the Foundation to limit the check user to adults.

I don't know how much risk there really is here, or what kinds of case 
studies in the rest of the real world represent parallels that might shed 
light on the question.  This all seems rather hypothetical -- because 
everyone editing anonymously is already sharing this kind of information, 
and because this is far, far less invasive than the kinds of privacy 
violations that a site or group that collects real private personal data
might worry about.

When have there been checkuser abuses, or anything close to checkuser 
abuses, that led to damage to others?  When has such damage or perceived 
damage led to potential risk?  How would any of this in practice come down 
(Continue reading)

Brianna Laugher | 1 Apr 09:01 2007
Picon

Re: Red category link is unhelpful

On 01/04/07, Virgil Ierubino <virgil.ierubino@...> wrote:
> Seen as category pages work even if they DO contain no text, treating them
> in the same way as a nonexistent article is unhelpful (especially to newer
> users who only think they see a broken link).

Not true. Maybe the mechanism is not perfect, but a red category link
alerts the user that "something is wrong". The something may be
misspelling, alias problems (Hotdogs vs Hot-dogs vs Hot-Dogs vs Hotdog
vs...), or simply that the category doesn't exist yet and needs to be
created (not by giving it text, but crucially by giving it a parent
category).

The problem is not so much for that user but for subsequent ones, who
come and want to find items on Hotdogs, and have no way of knowing
that they must check many variants to find all the available material.

The category system is for sure not perfect, but the red link is
definitely better than making them all blue. Wikis that rely on
category structures for navigation and sorting of items (eg...
Commons) also rely on this red link 'alert'.

Something more flexible might be if there was a $wgAllCategoriesBlue
or something that could be configured for each wiki, but a wholesale
change would not be appropriate.

cheers,
Brianna
user:pfctdayelise
Samuel Klein | 1 Apr 09:22 2007
Picon

Re: Red category link is unhelpful


Categories need 4 colors, not 2.

  Red:    empty with no description
  brown?: (the color of a substub) just a description
  green?: contents but an empty/substub description
  blue:   populated and described category.

SJ

On Sun, 1 Apr 2007, Brianna Laugher wrote:

> The category system is for sure not perfect, but the red link is
> definitely better than making them all blue. Wikis that rely on
> category structures for navigation and sorting of items (eg...
> Commons) also rely on this red link 'alert'.
>
> Something more flexible might be if there was a $wgAllCategoriesBlue
> or something that could be configured for each wiki, but a wholesale
> change would not be appropriate.

Gmane