Gordon Joly | 1 Jul 11:55 2012
Picon

Re: Draft Communications Bill

On 30/06/12 23:15, Thomas Dalton wrote:
> This draft act isn't aimed at publishers, it is aimed at service
> providers, so it would definitely be the WMF that is considered
> responsible for Wikipedia. I can't see any other interpretation.
Is it true that the servers serve in one country and the squids cache 
and serve onwards from another country?

Gordo

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
wikimediauk-l <at> wikimedia.org
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org

Richard Symonds | 1 Jul 11:59 2012
Picon

Re: Draft Communications Bill

There are four servers/squids:
pmtpa  Hostway (formerly PowerMedium) in Tampa, Florida. sdtpa Equinix (formerley Switch and Data) in Tampa, Florida. knams  Kennisnet in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.esams  EvoSwitch in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
Nothing in the UK!

Richard Symonds
Wikimedia UK
0207 065 0992
Disclaimer viewable at http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia:Email_disclaimer 
Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and <at> wikimediauk



On 1 July 2012 10:55, Gordon Joly <gordon.joly <at> pobox.com> wrote:
On 30/06/12 23:15, Thomas Dalton wrote:
This draft act isn't aimed at publishers, it is aimed at service
providers, so it would definitely be the WMF that is considered
responsible for Wikipedia. I can't see any other interpretation.
Is it true that the servers serve in one country and the squids cache and serve onwards from another country?

Gordo




_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
wikimediauk-l <at> wikimedia.org
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
wikimediauk-l <at> wikimedia.org
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
brian.mcneil | 1 Jul 18:15 2012

Re: Draft Communications Bill


> From: Tom Morris <tom <at> tommorris.org>

> The reason I think we should think about it is precisely because it's so very badly worded.
> 
> Without some informed legal thinking about what exactly the bill is likely to mean in
> practice, we probably can't know for sure.

Unfortunately, I don't expect informed legal thinking to feature
particularly largely in the government push to get this rammed through.

So-far they've had one twerp stand up and, in response to a query on
https encryption, say the black boxes planned for ISP datacentres will
"just work". And, with all government legislation, they have to provide
an impact assessment. According to the Home Office, implementing the
Communications Data Bill will have zero carbon impact.

On the legal thinking aspect, I've got that covered with one of my dozen
FoIA requests; a submission to the AG's office asking when they were
first contacted, what input they provided, and minutes of all meetings
related to the draft.

On the "make them look like proper charlies" front, I've asked the
Commons, Lords, and Home Office for a spreadsheet of every web page
they've accessed since the coalition came to power, with number of hits
per page. There's a high probability this may dig up something deeply
embarrassing which, from a journalistic viewpoint, makes it worthwhile -
as well as pointedly illustrating the deeply intrusive nature of the
proposal.

As will come as no surprise, one of my requests is now with the
Information Commissioner's Office in the form of a complaint over
failure to comply and disclose.

Brian McNeil
--
69/6 Albert Street, Edinburgh. EH7 5LR. SCOTLAND
Wikinews, Accredited Reporter. | GSM: +44 (0)788 987 8314
"Facts don't cease to be facts, but news ceases to be news."

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
wikimediauk-l <at> wikimedia.org
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org

Chris Keating | 1 Jul 18:32 2012
Picon

Re: Process for WMUK's 2013 annual plan?


Is there a plan in place for how WMUK is going to put together its
2013 annual plan? We need to start work on it very soon.

We have just agreed how we're going to go about this, I'm pleased to say :-)

We have a deadline of 1 October to submit an activity plan to the (yet to be formed) Funds Dissemination Committee. We know that this plan will be challenged by the FDC and there  is no guarantee that we will get all of the "movement funds" which we are asking for, but we can certainly put  

Yesterday, we agreed that the first year objectives in the 5-year Plan should form the basis of our objectives for 2013. Later this week, Jon will create a page on the Wikimedia UK wiki based on the current status of the 2012 activity plan, and possible scenarios for growth that the office have already identified.

We will then have several phases of open consultation:
1) Until mid-August, we will openly invite ideas for spending and activity in 2013 - including from existing budget holders and volunteers, and the rest of the community. We'll have to think about what steps we take to actively solicit ideas but the idea at this stage is to capture cool ideas and ambitions as well as rationales and resource needs.

2) From mid-August until early September, we will enter an "internal review" phase where we will try to challenge all the ideas created in the first phase against our mission and in terms of how deliverable they are. This will also be open on the Wikimedia UK wiki, and additionally we will invite a group of people to provide detailed reviews (Tom, this includes you.)

3) At the Board meeting in September we will devote half a day to a planning workshop for 2013 (and my assumption at the moment is that this will be open to the community as usual). 

4) At the September board meeting we will either adopt a full 2013 activity plan, or delegate the polishing of any final details to a defined person or group and then approve the final plan before October 1.

So, in short, the process will start next week and ill be very open.

Chris
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
wikimediauk-l <at> wikimedia.org
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
Thomas Dalton | 1 Jul 18:42 2012
Picon

Re: Process for WMUK's 2013 annual plan?

That looks like a good process. My only concern is the reference to the 5 year plan - we don't have one yet. We have a draft, but it's a long way from being a finished plan with full community buy-in. I don't think it can be finished and ratified by the community in time to be much use in putting together the 2013 plan.

On Jul 1, 2012 5:33 PM, "Chris Keating" <chriskeatingwiki <at> gmail.com> wrote:

Is there a plan in place for how WMUK is going to put together its
2013 annual plan? We need to start work on it very soon.

We have just agreed how we're going to go about this, I'm pleased to say :-)

We have a deadline of 1 October to submit an activity plan to the (yet to be formed) Funds Dissemination Committee. We know that this plan will be challenged by the FDC and there  is no guarantee that we will get all of the "movement funds" which we are asking for, but we can certainly put  

Yesterday, we agreed that the first year objectives in the 5-year Plan should form the basis of our objectives for 2013. Later this week, Jon will create a page on the Wikimedia UK wiki based on the current status of the 2012 activity plan, and possible scenarios for growth that the office have already identified.

We will then have several phases of open consultation:
1) Until mid-August, we will openly invite ideas for spending and activity in 2013 - including from existing budget holders and volunteers, and the rest of the community. We'll have to think about what steps we take to actively solicit ideas but the idea at this stage is to capture cool ideas and ambitions as well as rationales and resource needs.

2) From mid-August until early September, we will enter an "internal review" phase where we will try to challenge all the ideas created in the first phase against our mission and in terms of how deliverable they are. This will also be open on the Wikimedia UK wiki, and additionally we will invite a group of people to provide detailed reviews (Tom, this includes you.)

3) At the Board meeting in September we will devote half a day to a planning workshop for 2013 (and my assumption at the moment is that this will be open to the community as usual). 

4) At the September board meeting we will either adopt a full 2013 activity plan, or delegate the polishing of any final details to a defined person or group and then approve the final plan before October 1.

So, in short, the process will start next week and ill be very open.

Chris

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
wikimediauk-l <at> wikimedia.org
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
wikimediauk-l <at> wikimedia.org
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
Chris Keating | 1 Jul 19:35 2012
Picon

Re: Process for WMUK's 2013 annual plan?



On Sunday, July 1, 2012, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> That looks like a good process. My only concern is the reference to the 5 year plan - we don't have one yet. We have a draft, but it's a long way from being a finished plan with full community buy-in. I don't think it can be finished and ratified by the community in time to be much use in putting together the 2013 plan.

We felt the first year of the 5-year plan was good enough to serve as a basis for 2013 (and the rest of 2012) and adopted that bit. It's important we have something to work against in the short term.

There will be a further board meeting to develop the 5-year plan during Wikimania and we hope to formally adopt a 5 year plan after that.

Chris



>
> On Jul 1, 2012 5:33 PM, "Chris Keating" <chriskeatingwiki <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a plan in place for how WMUK is going to put together its
>>> 2013 annual plan? We need to start work on it very soon.
>>
>> We have just agreed how we're going to go about this, I'm pleased to say :-)
>> We have a deadline of 1 October to submit an activity plan to the (yet to be formed) Funds Dissemination Committee. We know that this plan will be challenged by the FDC and there  is no guarantee that we will get all of the "movement funds" which we are asking for, but we can certainly put  
>> Yesterday, we agreed that the first year objectives in the 5-year Plan should form the basis of our objectives for 2013. Later this week, Jon will create a page on the Wikimedia UK wiki based on the current status of the 2012 activity plan, and possible scenarios for growth that the office have already identified.
>> We will then have several phases of open consultation:
>> 1) Until mid-August, we will openly invite ideas for spending and activity in 2013 - including from existing budget holders and volunteers, and the rest of the community. We'll have to think about what steps we take to actively solicit ideas but the idea at this stage is to capture cool ideas and ambitions as well as rationales and resource needs.
>> 2) From mid-August until early September, we will enter an "internal review" phase where we will try to challenge all the ideas created in the first phase against our mission and in terms of how deliverable they are. This will also be open on the Wikimedia UK wiki, and additionally we will invite a group of people to provide detailed reviews (Tom, this includes you.)
>> 3) At the Board meeting in September we will devote half a day to a planning workshop for 2013 (and my assumption at the moment is that this will be open to the community as usual). 
>> 4) At the September board meeting we will either adopt a full 2013 activity plan, or delegate the polishing of any final details to a defined person or group and then approve the final plan before October 1.
>> So, in short, the process will start next week and ill be very open.
>> Chris
>> _______________________________________________
>> Wikimedia UK mailing list
>> wikimediauk-l <at> wikimedia.org
>> http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
>> WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
>>
>
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
wikimediauk-l <at> wikimedia.org
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
Gordon Joly | 1 Jul 20:44 2012
Picon

Re: Draft Communications Bill

On 01/07/12 10:59, Richard Symonds wrote:
There are four servers/squids:
pmtpa  Hostway (formerly PowerMedium) in Tampa, Florida. sdtpa  Equinix (formerley Switch and Data) in Tampa, Florida. knams  Kennisnet in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. esams  EvoSwitch in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
Nothing in the UK!
Thanks.

So, USA and Europe. But not the UK.

Gordo


_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
wikimediauk-l <at> wikimedia.org
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
David Gerard | 1 Jul 21:19 2012
Picon

Re: Draft Communications Bill

On 1 July 2012 19:44, Gordon Joly <gordon.joly <at> pobox.com> wrote:

> So, USA and Europe. But not the UK.

Yes. Rest assured the WMF is not so foolish as to base anything in the UK.

- d.

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
wikimediauk-l <at> wikimedia.org
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org

Tom Morris | 1 Jul 22:00 2012

Re: Draft Communications Bill

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 8:19 PM, David Gerard <dgerard <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1 July 2012 19:44, Gordon Joly <gordon.joly <at> pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> So, USA and Europe. But not the UK.
>
> Yes. Rest assured the WMF is not so foolish as to base anything in the UK.
>

None of which will matter if the law is so broadly drawn that
Wikimedia UK or even an individual Wikimedian could be held to be an
operator of a telecommunications system. Which is exactly why it would
be nice if someone at Wikimedia UK were to look into this as an issue.
I wouldn't bring it up if it didn't seem like there was an issue.

Feel free to all continue to pat me on the head while saying "no UK
servers, no problem"... even though the point of the bill is that the
servers needn't be in the UK for the government to make it a problem.
Again, read the draft bill. It's insane.

--

-- 
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
wikimediauk-l <at> wikimedia.org
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org

Michael Peel | 1 Jul 22:22 2012
Picon

Re: Draft Communications Bill


On 1 Jul 2012, at 21:00, Tom Morris wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 8:19 PM, David Gerard <dgerard <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 1 July 2012 19:44, Gordon Joly <gordon.joly <at> pobox.com> wrote:
>> 
>>> So, USA and Europe. But not the UK.
>> 
>> Yes. Rest assured the WMF is not so foolish as to base anything in the UK.
>> 
> 
> None of which will matter if the law is so broadly drawn that
> Wikimedia UK or even an individual Wikimedian could be held to be an
> operator of a telecommunications system. Which is exactly why it would
> be nice if someone at Wikimedia UK were to look into this as an issue.
> I wouldn't bring it up if it didn't seem like there was an issue.

Are you volunteering? I don't believe that we have WMUK staff or trustee time that can be put towards leading
a discussion of the details and implications that the bill could have for Wikimedia (globally or
locally), or to coordinate writing a response to the bill - but if a volunteer is interested and willing to
do that then that could be good.

Thanks,
Mike

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
wikimediauk-l <at> wikimedia.org
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org


Gmane