Gerard Meijssen | 30 Jun 11:38 2016
Picon

Rosie Stephenson-Goodknight

Hoi,

At Wikimania two wikipedians of the year were elected. The article for one
of them and the data at Wikidata are pathetic.

The article is a one liner stub. The Wikidata item had no statements and I
added the few that were minimally needed.

I find it incredible that we take no care of our own even when they are
obviously notable.
Thanks,
       GerardM

PS I have not looked at any of the others and I would welcome it when they
get some proper attention.

http://ultimategerardm.blogspot.nl/2016/06/wikipedia-wikipedian-of-year-rosie.html
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
New messages to: Wikimedia-l <at> lists.wikimedia.org
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:wikimedia-l-request <at> lists.wikimedia.org?subject=unsubscribe>
Patricio Lorente | 30 Jun 01:17 2016
Picon

[Wikimedia Announcements] Approval of 2016-17 Wikimedia Foundation Annual Plan

Hi Everyone:

We are pleased to announce that the Wikimedia Foundation 2016-17 Annual Plan and Budget has now been unanimously approved by the Board of Trustees[1] and is posted on Meta-Wiki here:  https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Annual_Plan/2016-2017/Final 

This year's plan focuses on improving support for--and consultation with--community, responding effectively to changing user needs, and addressing strategic challenges facing our movement. It goes into effect on 1 July 2016, the start of our fiscal year, and will be the Foundation's guiding document until a new plan, once again developed in consultation with the community, replaces it on 1 July 2017.

The process of creating this year's Annual Plan began in December 2015 and required the creativity and forward thinking of many dedicated people across our community. 

Each Wikimedia Foundation department proposed their initial program and nonprogram initiatives and budgets. The Advancement and Finance departments worked together to make sure that projected expenses reflected our commitment to responsible and realistic growth, while not exceeding projected donations. As adjustments were made throughout the process, the Community Engagement department posted, reposted, shared, and kept up-to-date the ever changing drafts of plan while collecting and helping respond to feedback from many of you.

Community members, affiliates, and the Funds Dissemination Committee[2] (FDC) responded by providing insightful and valuable feedback to the initial draft, asking thoughtful questions  and making constructive recommendations. Staff responded, making improvements or further clarifications. The FDC's feedback, developed during their annual meeting, was posted and responded to by staff on Meta-Wiki[3]. Discussions between the community and staff continued during the staff's final set of revisions to the plan in preparation for presentation to the Board at their meeting at Wikimania.

The Audit Committee[4] and the Board monitored and discussed the plan throughout the process and reviewed the final plan prepared by the staff following FDC and community feedback. The Audit Committee recommended the plan to the Board, and the Board discussed and approved the final plan via on-line vote on June 20.

Throughout the process, oversight was provided by both the office of the Executive Director and the Finance team, with guidance from the Community Engagement and Communications departments, to ensure that the 2016-17 Annual Plan was delivered on time and within the budget set by the Board.

We feel this was truly a cooperative, movement wide effort. We also recognize opportunities to improve the process, and look forward to making some adjustments in the coming year. We would like to extend our appreciation and gratitude to the community members who offered their feedback, their time, and their energy to create the 2016-17 Annual Plan.

The Wikimedia Foundation Board and staff are committed to the spirit set forth in this plan of cooperation, dialogue, facing challenges together, and creating amazing ways for the world to freely access, discover, and immerse themselves in knowledge. We look forward to the coming year and all that we will do together.

Patricio Lorente, Outgoing Board Chair
Kelly Battles, Chair, Audit Committee


--


_______________________________________________
Please note: all replies sent to this mailing list will be immediately directed to Wikimedia-l, the public
mailing list of the Wikimedia community. For more information about Wikimedia-l:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
_______________________________________________
WikimediaAnnounce-l mailing list
WikimediaAnnounce-l <at> lists.wikimedia.org
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaannounce-l
Delphine Ménard | 29 Jun 08:49 2016
Picon

[FDC] Call for nominations for appointments to the Funds Dissemination Committee - 2016

Hello everyone,

As foreseen by the FDC Framework[1], the mandate of current appointed
members to the Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC) comes to an end, after
two years of service. Four of them have terms that are ending, and we are
therefore looking to appoint 4 members by September 2016.

We are looking for good volunteer candidates across our communities and
beyond to join the FDC. The next round of proposals will be submitted on
Oct 1, 2016, and the FDC will meet face-to-face to deliberate on them in
November 2016 .

Any information you might need about the FDC and this process is on this
page:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Funds_Dissemination_Committee/Nominations/2016

but here are a few things you might want to consider:

== Why you'd want to volunteer with the FDC ==

* You will be reviewing annual plans and budgets of Wikimedia affiliate
organisations and making recommendations about the effective spending of
more than US$5 million dollars, shaping the direction of impact of a
significant portion of our movement's financial resources.

* You will apply your analytic skills and experience in assessing programs,
financial plans and strategic plans to support Wikimedia related work.

* You will gain valuable experience in grant-making, project evaluation,
and planning on a global and multi-cultural level.

* You will be working in collaboration with 8 other great and dedicated
individuals from across the movement, to reach consensus and make high
level decisions.

== Why you might not want to volunteer with the FDC ==

* The FDC will commit to, and enforce, a high standard of participation,
and you may not be ready to seriously commit to a high level of
participation (two in person events per year, traditionally one in San
Francisco, the other one in Europe, as well as several weeks of intensive
proposal review, calls, preparation etc.) for two years.

* The FDC's work will be conducted in English, and even with maximal
support and summarization from staff, you will be required to read a lot of
text in English, and to make your contributions in English.

* You don't meet the membership criteria[2], or you're confident other
candidates are better qualified or positioned to serve on the committee, in
which case, please refer them to this announcement!

If you are interested in serving on the FDC, please add your name to the
nominations page before July 10 2016 at 23.59 UTC.:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Funds_Dissemination_Committee/Nominations/2016#How_to_submit_your_candidacy

You can write your statement and answer the questions there. We will get in
touch with you during the recruitment process, but please feel free to
contact me with any questions you might have.

Feel free to forward this annoucement anywhere you think might be
appropriate.

Thanks and have a good {{timezone}},

Delphine

[1]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Funds_Dissemination_Committee/Framework_for_the_Creation_and_Initial_Operation_of_the_FDC#Membership

[2]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Funds_Dissemination_Committee/Nominations/2016#Membership_criteria

--

-- 
Delphine Ménard
Program Officer, Annual Plan Grants
Wikimedia Foundation
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
New messages to: Wikimedia-l <at> lists.wikimedia.org
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:wikimedia-l-request <at> lists.wikimedia.org?subject=unsubscribe>
Dariusz Jemielniak | 28 Jun 22:42 2016
Picon

The FDC's funding recommendation approved by the Board

Dear members of the Wikimedia community,

On behalf of the Board of Trustees of the Wikimedia Foundation, I write to
share the news that we have approved [1] the full slate of the FDC’s Round
2 2015-2016 recommendations [2] for the Annual Plan Grants, as well as
taken good note of the remarks and recommendations concerning the Wikimedia
Foundation. In this round, 4 organizations will be receiving a total of
roughly US$1,138,000, for a total of US$4,908,000 allocated in both rounds
2015-2016. Grants are made in local currency, so the USD figure is
approximate. The remaining US$1,092,000 from the FDC’s US$6 million grant
envelope this year will remain with the Wikimedia Foundation.

We congratulate the Centre for Internet and Society, Wikimedia Armenia,
Wikimédia France and Wikimedia Norge on their grants, and we are happy to
see that year after year, their work continues to further our mission. We
know that the volunteers, staff, and boards of these organizations are
working hard to advance the goals of the movement.  We thank them for their
work in doing so.

Many people have put in significant work to make this process a success. As
the Board representative to the FDC, I would also like to thank the Funds
Dissemination Committee members and staff, as well as the members of our
communities who participated in the process this round.

We also particularly want to thank the FDC members for putting much effort
into the complex task of reviewing the draft annual plan of the Wikimedia
Foundation.

Volunteers are at the heart of this committee. We are lucky to have a
committee comprised of nine dedicated community members who give their time
and energy into making this funding program a reality. Four of the members
of the FDC have terms that are ending. I want to thank Anne Clin
(User:Risker), Dumisani Ndubane (User:Thuvack), Matanya Moses
(User:Matanya), and Osmar Valdebenito (User:B1mbo) for their two years of
service to this committee. The Board would like to thank you for your work
for four rounds of funding.

We are glad to witness our movement’s great efforts to further the mission
through thoughtful planning and strategic thinking and are looking forward
to the year ahead.

Sincerely,

Dariusz, on behalf of the WMF Board of Trustees

[1]
https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Board_approval_of_FDC_recommendation_(2015-16,_Round_2)

[2]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/FDC_recommendations/2015-2016_round_2
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
New messages to: Wikimedia-l <at> lists.wikimedia.org
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:wikimedia-l-request <at> lists.wikimedia.org?subject=unsubscribe>
Christophe Henner | 28 Jun 19:19 2016
Picon

[Direction] WMF Board of Trustees 2016 priorities

Hi Everyone,

The Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees met in Esino Lario during
Wikimania. The minutes will be published in the coming days, but we deemed
it too important to wait to share the outcome of this really great meeting.

During the meeting, the Board felt that it was important to establish three
clear priorities for the coming year: We will focus on three specific
topics:

* Improving the Board itself

* Supporting the Executive Director, Katherine Maher

* Fostering the creation of a strategy for the movement

Every trustee acknowledges that there's a clear need for the Board to
assume a leadership position for our movement. That being said, the eight
of us are only temporary stewards of our positions. We need to work toward
creating the best environment for all of us to push our mission forward.

That is the reason our first topic is about Board improvement — to work to
become the trustees you all need. The governance committee [1] is
continuing its work on incremental improvements, as well as on defining the
further actions we need to take.

Our second priority is to support  the Executive Director. As you all know,
the Board proposed to Katherine Maher to move from her interim ED position
to a permanent one. We are thrilled she agreed.

We must not consider this decision as the end of the process, but as a
beginning. In order for the Wikimedia Foundation to achieve great things,
the Board needs to be supporting the ED. This means providing her with a
consistent and clear explanation of the intentions in our decisions, and to
act as sparring partners to her.

The HR committee[2] will work toward that end, and the Board as whole is
ready to take any steps necessary to provide her, and the staff, with the
best environment possible.

Finally, the lack, or fuzziness, around movement strategy has been a
pending question for years. One that we never managed to tackle. And
perhaps because no one wanted to take on that charge. The Board of Trustees
decided that within the next 12 months we will have to define our vision
and strategy. A strategy that is suited with our goals, our values, and is
inclusive of every agent of the movement.

The past fifteen years were amazing. But now we have to think of the next
fifteen years. There are many challenges  ahead of us if we want to keep on
changing the world.

We must not shy away from those challenges, nor from the decisions we have
to make.

Within the Board of Trustees, Maria Sefidari and I take the lead on  the
necessary steps are being taken. Katherine and Foundation staff already
have worked on the first steps to reach that goal.

Our goal is to make sure we — as a movement — will have a strategy that we
can all embrace and push forward together.

As ever, decisions need action, and we will take them and share them
quickly so that you know that we walk the talk, and we want to walk it with
all of you.

We will be happy to answer any questions you have whether on list or off
list.

Thank you to everyone for those past fifteen years, and I’m looking forward
to what we'll achieve in the coming ones!

Christophe

[1]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Governance_Committee

[2] https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/HR_Committee
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
New messages to: Wikimedia-l <at> lists.wikimedia.org
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:wikimedia-l-request <at> lists.wikimedia.org?subject=unsubscribe>
Milos Rancic | 28 Jun 19:40 2016
Picon
Gravatar

Re: Our problem with India

On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 7:27 PM, Pete Forsyth <peteforsyth <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 10:03 AM, Milos Rancic <millosh <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On the rest: being defensive is not useful; being constructive is.
>>
>
> I don't see anything in this thread that looks defensive; what I see (and
> thoroughly agree with) is a request to more clearly define the problem. I'd
> add that some clarity around who "we" are who should do something -- which
> might be several categories of "we" for different kinds of actions -- would
> help, as well.

I didn't say Risker is, for example, defensive; I said Asaf is defensive.

If you have enough information on the issue, constructive approach is
not to pretend to ask for more information, but to talk about what you
know.

--

-- 
Milos

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
New messages to: Wikimedia-l <at> lists.wikimedia.org
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:wikimedia-l-request <at> lists.wikimedia.org?subject=unsubscribe>
Newyorkbrad | 28 Jun 18:33 2016
Picon

Re: On Trump supporters (was: Our problem with India)

I suggest that we just drop the Trump tangent from the discussion, as
it is a distraction.

Newyorkbrad

On 6/28/16, Milos Rancic <millosh <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Moving this issue out of the thread about India, as it doesn't belong to it.
>
> It seems that my explanation of explanation was not quite useful. Just
> the last paragraph was a satire and I've got complaint that
> satirically playing with the racist stereotypes could seem racist.
> That was the target of the explanation of explanation.
>
> However, your question that it's still not clear to you why I am
> talking about Trump supporters is much more important.
>
> If we tend to be an inclusive movement, we should do our best to
> include people from as much of society as we are able to do.
>
> The first and the most obvious problem in Wikimedia community was
> striking lack of women. And, for a long time we have the programs
> which promote inclusion of women in our movement.
>
> Then we have the issue of minorities. Depending on the country, those
> processes started sooner or later.
>
> However, as we articulated Wikimedia movement as a progressive one, we
> are slowly but surely losing large portions of our societies.
>
> The metaphor for that portion is "a Trump voter", but those people
> exist in every society. They do not vote for Trump; they could be even
> a progressive force in their society; but, as with Trump supporter,
> they've been ostracized from the dominant part of the society as less
> worthy.
>
> I've said those parts of the societies are our new underrepresented
> groups. In United States it's about middle class people scared of
> those who are socially in worse (immigrants) and better position
> (among others, us) than themselves, voting for Trump. In Austria, it's
> about working class people scared of those in worse and better
> position than themselves, voting for FPO. And so on.
>
> And if you are asking me why we should take care about their
> incorporation, I will tell you that I was getting quite similar
> questions when I raised the problem of lack of participation of women
> in Wikimedia movement. It's the wider social role of our movement.
>
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 3:43 PM, Peter Southwood
> <peter.southwood <at> telkomsa.net> wrote:
>> Still not clear. Why?
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Wikimedia-l [mailto:wikimedia-l-bounces <at> lists.wikimedia.org] On
>> Behalf Of Milos Rancic
>> Sent: Tuesday, 28 June 2016 1:28 PM
>> To: Wikimedia Mailing List
>> Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] Our problem with India
>>
>> On Jun 28, 2016 09:58, "Milos Rancic" <millosh <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> (Hint for American
>>> Wikimedians: Trump supporters are your next target for positive
>>> discrimination.)
>>
>> It seems I have to clarify this sentence.
>>
>> I didn't say Trump, I didn't say Cruz, I didn't say Cruz supporters, I
>> said Trump supporters.
>>
>> I have in mind very specific population, genuinely scared by the
>> privileged Mexican illegal immigrants, working lazy for the American
>> agricultural industry for $5/h or less and supported by Bay Area hipsters
>> and Jewish lobby.
>> _______________________________________________
>> Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
>> New messages to: Wikimedia-l <at> lists.wikimedia.org
>> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
>> <mailto:wikimedia-l-request <at> lists.wikimedia.org?subject=unsubscribe>
>>
>> -----
>> No virus found in this message.
>> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
>> Version: 2016.0.7640 / Virus Database: 4613/12507 - Release Date: 06/28/16
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
>> New messages to: Wikimedia-l <at> lists.wikimedia.org
>> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
>> <mailto:wikimedia-l-request <at> lists.wikimedia.org?subject=unsubscribe>
>
>
>
> --
> Milos
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
> New messages to: Wikimedia-l <at> lists.wikimedia.org
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> <mailto:wikimedia-l-request <at> lists.wikimedia.org?subject=unsubscribe>

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
New messages to: Wikimedia-l <at> lists.wikimedia.org
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:wikimedia-l-request <at> lists.wikimedia.org?subject=unsubscribe>
Milos Rancic | 28 Jun 18:19 2016
Picon
Gravatar

On Trump supporters (was: Our problem with India)

Moving this issue out of the thread about India, as it doesn't belong to it.

It seems that my explanation of explanation was not quite useful. Just
the last paragraph was a satire and I've got complaint that
satirically playing with the racist stereotypes could seem racist.
That was the target of the explanation of explanation.

However, your question that it's still not clear to you why I am
talking about Trump supporters is much more important.

If we tend to be an inclusive movement, we should do our best to
include people from as much of society as we are able to do.

The first and the most obvious problem in Wikimedia community was
striking lack of women. And, for a long time we have the programs
which promote inclusion of women in our movement.

Then we have the issue of minorities. Depending on the country, those
processes started sooner or later.

However, as we articulated Wikimedia movement as a progressive one, we
are slowly but surely losing large portions of our societies.

The metaphor for that portion is "a Trump voter", but those people
exist in every society. They do not vote for Trump; they could be even
a progressive force in their society; but, as with Trump supporter,
they've been ostracized from the dominant part of the society as less
worthy.

I've said those parts of the societies are our new underrepresented
groups. In United States it's about middle class people scared of
those who are socially in worse (immigrants) and better position
(among others, us) than themselves, voting for Trump. In Austria, it's
about working class people scared of those in worse and better
position than themselves, voting for FPO. And so on.

And if you are asking me why we should take care about their
incorporation, I will tell you that I was getting quite similar
questions when I raised the problem of lack of participation of women
in Wikimedia movement. It's the wider social role of our movement.

On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 3:43 PM, Peter Southwood
<peter.southwood <at> telkomsa.net> wrote:
> Still not clear. Why?
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Wikimedia-l [mailto:wikimedia-l-bounces <at> lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of Milos Rancic
> Sent: Tuesday, 28 June 2016 1:28 PM
> To: Wikimedia Mailing List
> Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] Our problem with India
>
> On Jun 28, 2016 09:58, "Milos Rancic" <millosh <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> (Hint for American
>> Wikimedians: Trump supporters are your next target for positive
>> discrimination.)
>
> It seems I have to clarify this sentence.
>
> I didn't say Trump, I didn't say Cruz, I didn't say Cruz supporters, I said Trump supporters.
>
> I have in mind very specific population, genuinely scared by the privileged Mexican illegal immigrants,
working lazy for the American agricultural industry for $5/h or less and supported by Bay Area hipsters
and Jewish lobby.
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
> New messages to: Wikimedia-l <at> lists.wikimedia.org
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:wikimedia-l-request <at> lists.wikimedia.org?subject=unsubscribe>
>
> -----
> No virus found in this message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
> Version: 2016.0.7640 / Virus Database: 4613/12507 - Release Date: 06/28/16
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
> New messages to: Wikimedia-l <at> lists.wikimedia.org
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:wikimedia-l-request <at> lists.wikimedia.org?subject=unsubscribe>

--

-- 
Milos

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
New messages to: Wikimedia-l <at> lists.wikimedia.org
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:wikimedia-l-request <at> lists.wikimedia.org?subject=unsubscribe>
Sydney Poore | 28 Jun 18:18 2016
Picon

Re: Board Governance Committee update

Hello Dariusz,

Thank you for the time that you are sending working on the Governance
Committee.

I appreciate this email that shares your progress and future plans. Many of
the ideas sound helpful and effective to address some long term problems.

With the growth in new methods and processes is the Board planning to have
a method to  monitor/measure the success of these activities?

Sydney Poore/FloNight
On Jun 27, 2016 2:46 PM, "Dariusz Jemielniak" <darekj <at> alk.edu.pl> wrote:

hi all,

this is an update on the work of the Board Governance Committee over the
last months that some of you have requested.

Among other things, the Board Governance Committee has worked on:
- Creating the Board’s competence matrix[1],
- Discussing the most critical needs for the expert seats, and proposing
technology (deep, intimate understanding of how software works, possibly
coming from open-source involvement), as well as global organization and
community management and change in non-profit world as the major ones,
- Discussing the calendar for the vacant expert seat recruitment, and
adjusting to the WMF HR staff available support (scheduled to start in
August),
- Discussing the vacant community seats solutions (and proposing shortening
the terms and having community elections in early 2017, so that the elected
members would join the Board at April meeting),
- Appointing the new Election Committee (and proposing a process in which
the further development of this body will be partially transferred to the
community),
- Reviewing the possibilities for an external Board review (as recommended
by the FDC),
- Increasing transparency (a set of concrete measures soon to be put
forward by Dariusz and Maria, following several discussions),
- Introducing a workshop[2] for external Board members about wiki-culture
and copyright (topics picked by the community[3]) at Wikimania,
- Conducting an internal Board[4] survey about our understanding of our
tasks, governance practices, etc.
- Discussing general governance improvements[5] for the Board.

We have also considered introducing one centralized place on meta for
Board-community communication, but after discussion with the staff we have
concluded that we're going to rely on small incremental improvements in
communication first.

The remaining topics still include:
- the Advisory Board redesign/restart,
- the Board's composition and structure analysis,
- possible external reviews or consulting,
- introducing workshops on best governance practices (and other topics of
interest) for Board members,
- other governance improvements and tasks.

let me know if you have any questions!

dj "pundit"

(current Trustee and BGC member, passing BGC chairing to Natalia Tymkiv)

[1]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Governance_Committee/2016_competence_matrix
[2]
https://wikimania2016.wikimedia.org/wiki/Training_sessions/Proposals/Wikimedia_Movement_Culture_workshop
[3]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Governance_Committee/Wikimania_2016_training
[4]  https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Minutes/2016-03
[5]
https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Board_Governance_Recommendations_(April_2016)
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
New messages to: Wikimedia-l <at> lists.wikimedia.org
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
<mailto:wikimedia-l-request <at> lists.wikimedia.org?subject=unsubscribe>
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
New messages to: Wikimedia-l <at> lists.wikimedia.org
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:wikimedia-l-request <at> lists.wikimedia.org?subject=unsubscribe>
Cristian Consonni | 28 Jun 16:51 2016
Picon
Gravatar

Damage compensation to photographer for violation of license of a photo taken from Commons

Hi,

Last week a small case of copyright violation come to a positive conclusion.

Niccolò Caranti [[User:Jaqen]] is a Wikipedian and as a professional
photographer also a very prolific Commons contributor to the point
that he is a sysop both on itwiki and Commons.

He recently discovered that one of his photos was used for an event
without respecting the terms of the CC-BY-SA license, i.e. without
proper attribution to him and reference to the license.

Supported by Simone Aliprandi - a lawyer specializing in intellectual
property and author of a number of (free/libre) books on the topic of
licenses and Creative Commons in particular - they sent a formal
request to the organizers of the event.

The issue has been resolved amicably with all legal costs paid by the
agency that was working for the organizers of the event (who admitted
their mistake) and a compensation for the author.

You can read more about this case here:
https://aliprandi.blogspot.it/2016/06/photo-from-wikipedia-violation-license-caranti.html

Cristian

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
New messages to: Wikimedia-l <at> lists.wikimedia.org
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:wikimedia-l-request <at> lists.wikimedia.org?subject=unsubscribe>
Milos Rancic | 28 Jun 09:58 2016
Picon
Gravatar

Our problem with India

Whenever a serious problem raises and after years of hesitation I
finally realize that I have to speak about it publicly, I have a drive
to drink some rakija, feel good and forget all of the stress the new
issue would give to me.

But this is very important and we have to start talking about it.

This issue lasts for years. I was first approached with this problem
during the Wikimania in London. Because of my firm belief into the
random nature of the nature, I thought it would be solved randomly.

Of course my intuition was wrong. Two years later nothing has changed.

Serbia has 7 millions of inhabitants, India has 1.3 billion. In few
years India will have 2000 times more inhabitants of Serbia.

And when I see what a mess good people from the West [1][2] are making
in Serbia, multiply that number with 2000 and realize that I have a
number of Wikimedia friends from India, my anxiety freaks out.

We are not the worst, it's likely we are even the best, but we are
mostly doing the same things that has been proved to be plainly wrong.
Fortunately, it's just "mostly", not "completely", as we have the way
to see what is wrong.

The problem we have there is bigger than any inequality gap we have in
all OECD countries combined, as Wikimedia is doing poor job in solving
any problem for approximately 1.2 billion of humans.

I will start with with the simple fact that Hindi, the fourth language
by number of speakers [3] has Wikipedia at the 58th place by number of
articles [4]. And, no, Hindi Wikipedia is not at all in the category
"smaller number of very good articles".

I will continue with my completely unscientific approximation that 1/7
of the world population has been constantly represented on Wikimanias
by 1/7 Wikimedians if we count genetics and 0 (zero) if we count
social reality.

For those who didn't yet get it, if the upper classes of India consist
even 20% of population, we don't have any representation of 1 billion
of humans.

I could continue here with the background of the issue, various
problems mentioned to me, frustration expressed to me, but I don't
think it's useful at all.

What I think it's most useful is to start fixing the problem *now*. I
want to hear Indian Wikimedians what they see as problems that should
be solved, how they think that they should be solved, as well as WMF
and other Wikimedia movement bodies to start tackling that problem.

This is the part of the bigger problem. All of us have similar
problems in our own societies. And I think everybody should follow the
resolution of this problem and think how to do the similar things in
their own capacities in their own societies. (Hint for American
Wikimedians: Trump supporters are your next target for positive
discrimination.)

[1] https://newrepublic.com/article/120178/problem-international-development-and-plan-fix-it
[2] http://www.ted.com/talks/ernesto_sirolli_want_to_help_someone_shut_up_and_listen
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_speakers
[4] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wikipedias

--

-- 
Milos

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
New messages to: Wikimedia-l <at> lists.wikimedia.org
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:wikimedia-l-request <at> lists.wikimedia.org?subject=unsubscribe>

Gmane