G. Ken Holman | 22 Jul 16:50 2003

Fwd: Re: [XSL-FO] Re: pagination


Hi folks!

Herewith please find a requirement for including pages in the output of an 
XSL formatter that do not participate in page numbering.

I hope this helps with your new requirements.

................... Ken

>To: XSL-FO <at> yahoogroups.com
>From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman <at> CraneSoftwrights.com>
>Subject: Re: [XSL-FO] Re: pagination
>
>At 2003-07-22 14:31 +0000, martin_hofacker wrote:
>>I want to control the pagination indication of 2nd and further pages.
>>It should display the page-number of the page-sequence minus 1 (1st
>>page 'no entry'; 2nd page 'continuation 1'; 3rd page 'continuation
>>2'; and so on). I don´t know when the first page break will happen.
>>The first page contains a table with a unknown number of entries (it
>>depends on the entries in the database). Depending to your answer, i
>>don´t think that i can solve this problem with the fo:marker.
>
>I agree it cannot be solved with fo:marker, nor do I now believe it can be 
>solved with XSL-FO.  I had misunderstood your requirement as I thought 
>might have happened.
>
>Interestingly, students in my last class needed something not in XSL-FO 
>that would help here: an indication that a given page geometry not 
>participate in the page numbering scheme.  This would allow them to 
(Continue reading)

Paul Grosso | 22 Jul 17:37 2003

Re: Fwd: Re: [XSL-FO] Re: pagination


Ken,

As you point out, the parity of the page number is tied
to the parity of the page type itself.  This is what makes
non-participating page numbering difficult and suspect.
Specifically, if a page has no page number, is it even
or odd and what do you do with a page-number-citation
to it?

paul

At 10:50 2003 07 22 -0400, G. Ken Holman wrote:

>Hi folks!
>
>Herewith please find a requirement for including pages in the output of an XSL formatter that do not
participate in page numbering.
>
>I hope this helps with your new requirements.
>
>................... Ken
>
>>To: XSL-FO <at> yahoogroups.com
>>From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman <at> CraneSoftwrights.com>
>>Subject: Re: [XSL-FO] Re: pagination
>>
>>At 2003-07-22 14:31 +0000, martin_hofacker wrote:
>>>I want to control the pagination indication of 2nd and further pages.
>>>It should display the page-number of the page-sequence minus 1 (1st
(Continue reading)

G. Ken Holman | 22 Jul 18:29 2003

Re: Fwd: Re: [XSL-FO] Re: pagination


At 2003-07-22 10:37 -0500, Paul Grosso wrote:
>As you point out, the parity of the page number is tied
>to the parity of the page type itself.  This is what makes
>non-participating page numbering difficult and suspect.

I grant there are obstacles to designing an appropriate interface, but I 
did not want the user requirement to go un-noted.

>Specifically, if a page has no page number, is it even
>or odd

As I mentioned to the original poster and to my students two weeks ago, 
there are no left-page/right-page distinctions or page tally distinctions 
in 1.0 that would be required, only page number parity distinctions.

>and what do you do with a page-number-citation to it?

I would think that a page that does not participate would have a choice of 
being the same page number as the last page that did participate, or one 
plus the page number of the last page that participated.

However, I don't always think of all of the nuances and would leave it to 
others to propose ways of meeting real-world publishing requirements.  I'll 
do my best to identify what my students see as requirements for future 
revisions.

Thanks, Paul, for taking the time to comment!

.................... Ken
(Continue reading)

Werner Donné | 24 Jul 14:19 2003
Picon

Measurement unit ex


Hi,

XSL-FO uses the x-height notion. Why then isn't there the relative measurement unit "ex"?

Regards,

Werner.
--

-- 
Werner Donné  --  Re BVBA
Engelbeekstraat 8
B-3300 Tienen
tel: (+32) 486 425803	e-mail: werner.donne <at> re.be


Gmane