Tristan Mendoza | 2 May 00:10 2011
Picon

Hi all (it's been a while)

Hi everyone... it has been about 10 years since I have been around.  I 
am sure the kernel of the group is stable.

Been in crummy non-tech jobs since 2001 when I quit coming to meetings 
and am in one now as a nontech office slave.  Thinking about coming back 
and also checking out more various user groups, since I spend most of my 
evenings drinking more wine than recommended and watching Dr Who episodes.

On linux, I have been checking out BackTrack again, now in version 4- 
very nice.
Ubuntu Studio is nice but you have to install Cinerella yourself (so 
much for being a complete package for multimedia)

I got a linux handheld Caanoo thats sortof nifty (I have so many game 
roms it would make someone gag) takes an SDHC card so I got a 32GB one 
and the got a 32BG usb flash drive also.  It can do wireless networking, 
but you have to either get one the vendor supports or get into the 
terminal and snatch the linux drivers from there and hope it works.  Oh 
also- it has a warranty but you have to go to South Korea to get it 
maintained as such

I am only speculating but this could not only be a good gaming and 
reader platform but could be used to pentest and such..... the problem 
is the source code- it is significantly different from its predecessor 
(the Wiz) that it is pissing people off who develop for these things so 
that sort of thing may have to be homebrewed.  The successes of porting 
linux with LXDE onto the Nokia phones got me thinking about it mildly

Any way, it's going to be nice to see familiar faces soon...
-Tristan Mendoza
(Continue reading)

Robert Parkhurst | 2 May 01:37 2011

Re: Hi all (it's been a while)

Hi Tristan!

Yes, you should come back to the meetings!  :-)

I'm not sure how well you've kept up with the mailing list recently,
but we're looking at a new meeting place--Cherrywood coffee house.
Same date and time (Thursdays at 7PM).  Last week was our first
meeting there and hopefully we'll be able to call this place a
permanent "home".

I understand the crummy jobs...

Ubuntu Studio?  Cinelerra?  Are you into the multimedia aspects of
Linux?  if so I may need/want to pick your brain a bit!

On Dr. Who can't blame you for watching...it is good!  I myself just
finished up season 5.

Anyway, hope to see you soon!

Robert, President, ALG

On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 5:10 PM, Tristan Mendoza
<tristanm.tx@...> wrote:
> Hi everyone... it has been about 10 years since I have been around.  I am
> sure the kernel of the group is stable.
>
> Been in crummy non-tech jobs since 2001 when I quit coming to meetings and
> am in one now as a nontech office slave.  Thinking about coming back and
> also checking out more various user groups, since I spend most of my
(Continue reading)

Bill Eastman | 2 May 02:09 2011
Picon

Re: Hi all (it's been a while)

The Cherrywood coffee house has excellent food, beer, wine, coffee,
soda.   And did I forget FREE Wi-Fi!  I don't think they have a
problem with us meeting there, as long as most of the people order
something.  I know several of us ate there last week, and had some
beer / coffee.

They have a happy hour that ends at 7:00 with a $1 off the price of beer.

I got a Viewsonic gTab, and rooted it.  It is now running CM 7, which
is Android 2.3.3.

I intend to make a webpage with all the CM / Android stuff I find.

On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 6:37 PM, Robert Parkhurst
<robert.parkhurst@...> wrote:
> Hi Tristan!
>
> Yes, you should come back to the meetings!  :-)
>
> I'm not sure how well you've kept up with the mailing list recently,
> but we're looking at a new meeting place--Cherrywood coffee house.
> Same date and time (Thursdays at 7PM).  Last week was our first
> meeting there and hopefully we'll be able to call this place a
> permanent "home".
>
> I understand the crummy jobs...
>
> Ubuntu Studio?  Cinelerra?  Are you into the multimedia aspects of
> Linux?  if so I may need/want to pick your brain a bit!
>
(Continue reading)

Tristan Mendoza | 2 May 06:46 2011
Picon

Re: Hi all (it's been a while)

I grew up in that neighborhood when Pato's Tacos was there in the 80s, 
and smoked grass by the railroad tracks as a teen.  I hope it is still a 
nice quiet neighborhood

Dr Who season 5?  That would have been in the 60s or so.  I grabbed 
everything off bittorrent including Torchwood spinoff but skipped K-9 
and Company with Sarah Jane (that actress died last week :(

I am not an expert as I wish I was in linux multimedia, but Ubuntu 
Studio is quite nice... Cinellera makes Adobe stuff look like #$%^ <at> 

With Backtrack, been looking at it since v2- I used to  use aircrack-ng 
to get into my neighbors wireless before I could afford dsl.  I have BT4 
on a flash drive but I haven't messed with it alot... My main machine is 
a black MacBook but MacOS is pissing me off due to memory issues- 
Mozilla is usually the culprit since I always have a dozen window open 
at once lol,   I used to run Gentoo PPC about 8 years ago but i didnt 
like it

Any of you guys/gal have those Alpine Alpha servers? Mine was a POS as 
soon as I got it

Is Tex, etc still around?  I bet he isnt obsessed with Plan9 anymore

Wow.  Seeing everyone Thurs will be nice

Oh I drive now after 38 years- I am in a Tiburon named ENIAC
-T

On 5/1/11 6:37 PM, Robert Parkhurst wrote:
(Continue reading)

Tristan Mendoza | 2 May 06:57 2011
Picon

Re: Hi all (it's been a while)

It seems like I should have never left this group

Tell me about CM then

What a crappy journey it has been in my TARDIS

I hope everyone is alive and well!
I will be taking it easy on alcohol so I can drive home :)
-T

On 5/1/11 7:09 PM, Bill Eastman wrote:
> The Cherrywood coffee house has excellent food, beer, wine, coffee,
> soda.   And did I forget FREE Wi-Fi!  I don't think they have a
> problem with us meeting there, as long as most of the people order
> something.  I know several of us ate there last week, and had some
> beer / coffee.
>
> They have a happy hour that ends at 7:00 with a $1 off the price of beer.
>
> I got a Viewsonic gTab, and rooted it.  It is now running CM 7, which
> is Android 2.3.3.
>
> I intend to make a webpage with all the CM / Android stuff I find.
>
>
> On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 6:37 PM, Robert Parkhurst
> <robert.parkhurst@...>  wrote:
>> Hi Tristan!
>>
>> Yes, you should come back to the meetings!  :-)
(Continue reading)

Tristan Mendoza | 2 May 07:16 2011
Picon

Re: Hi all (it's been a while)

Some of you, and I am very embarrassed by this-
I wont remember your names but will faces after the economic and social 
war of this decade.
I hope you can forgive me
-Tristan

_______________________________________________
ALG Mailing List http://austinlug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/alg

Bill Eastman | 2 May 13:28 2011
Picon

Re: Hi all (it's been a while)

I just started CM7 on Friday, but had heard of it.  Google cyanogen.  Also Google bishop of technology for a step by step on rooting viewsonic gtab and installing cm7 (or other Rom)

On May 1, 2011 11:57 PM, "Tristan Mendoza" <tristanm.tx-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
_______________________________________________
ALG Mailing List http://austinlug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/alg
Robert Parkhurst | 2 May 15:50 2011
Picon

Re: Hi all (it's been a while)

On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 11:46 PM, Tristan Mendoza
<tristanm.tx@...> wrote:
> I grew up in that neighborhood when Pato's Tacos was there in the 80s, and
> smoked grass by the railroad tracks as a teen.  I hope it is still a nice
> quiet neighborhood
>
> Dr Who season 5?  That would have been in the 60s or so.  I grabbed
> everything off bittorrent including Torchwood spinoff but skipped K-9 and
> Company with Sarah Jane (that actress died last week :(

Ah, I meant Doctor Who season 31 (or the 5th season of the newest
Doctor Who's or the first season of the 11th Doctor).  It's hard
talking to a lot of people who don't know about Doctor Who and telling
them there are 31 seasons spread over the last fourty years or
so...it's easier just to talk about the most current ones..  On that
note though I haven't really seen anything past the most recent five
seasons; I was too young to really watch/remember the otehrs.

Bittorrent....hrm......  interesting.........

>
> I am not an expert as I wish I was in linux multimedia, but Ubuntu Studio is
> quite nice... Cinellera makes Adobe stuff look like #$%^ <at> 
>

I may need to talk to you then about video editing on cinelerra...
I've used Adobe for work-related videos (state agency) and it's nice,
but certainly limited!  Cinelerra though I've had a lot of problems
trying to bring in video to edit.

> With Backtrack, been looking at it since v2- I used to  use aircrack-ng to
> get into my neighbors wireless before I could afford dsl.  I have BT4 on a
> flash drive but I haven't messed with it alot... My main machine is a black
> MacBook but MacOS is pissing me off due to memory issues- Mozilla is usually
> the culprit since I always have a dozen window open at once lol,   I used to
> run Gentoo PPC about 8 years ago but i didnt like it
>
> Any of you guys/gal have those Alpine Alpha servers? Mine was a POS as soon
> as I got it
>
> Is Tex, etc still around?  I bet he isnt obsessed with Plan9 anymore
>
> Wow.  Seeing everyone Thurs will be nice
>
> Oh I drive now after 38 years- I am in a Tiburon named ENIAC
> -T
>
>
>
>
> On 5/1/11 6:37 PM, Robert Parkhurst wrote:
>>
>> Hi Tristan!
>>
>> Yes, you should come back to the meetings!  :-)
>>
>> I'm not sure how well you've kept up with the mailing list recently,
>> but we're looking at a new meeting place--Cherrywood coffee house.
>> Same date and time (Thursdays at 7PM).  Last week was our first
>> meeting there and hopefully we'll be able to call this place a
>> permanent "home".
>>
>> I understand the crummy jobs...
>>
>> Ubuntu Studio?  Cinelerra?  Are you into the multimedia aspects of
>> Linux?  if so I may need/want to pick your brain a bit!
>>
>> On Dr. Who can't blame you for watching...it is good!  I myself just
>> finished up season 5.
>>
>> Anyway, hope to see you soon!
>>
>>
>> Robert, President, ALG
>>
>>
>>
>> On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 5:10 PM, Tristan Mendoza<tristanm.tx@...>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi everyone... it has been about 10 years since I have been around.  I am
>>> sure the kernel of the group is stable.
>>>
>>> Been in crummy non-tech jobs since 2001 when I quit coming to meetings
>>> and
>>> am in one now as a nontech office slave.  Thinking about coming back and
>>> also checking out more various user groups, since I spend most of my
>>> evenings drinking more wine than recommended and watching Dr Who
>>> episodes.
>>>
>>> On linux, I have been checking out BackTrack again, now in version 4-
>>> very
>>> nice.
>>> Ubuntu Studio is nice but you have to install Cinerella yourself (so much
>>> for being a complete package for multimedia)
>>>
>>> I got a linux handheld Caanoo thats sortof nifty (I have so many game
>>> roms
>>> it would make someone gag) takes an SDHC card so I got a 32GB one and the
>>> got a 32BG usb flash drive also.  It can do wireless networking, but you
>>> have to either get one the vendor supports or get into the terminal and
>>> snatch the linux drivers from there and hope it works.  Oh also- it has a
>>> warranty but you have to go to South Korea to get it maintained as such
>>>
>>> I am only speculating but this could not only be a good gaming and reader
>>> platform but could be used to pentest and such..... the problem is the
>>> source code- it is significantly different from its predecessor (the Wiz)
>>> that it is pissing people off who develop for these things so that sort
>>> of
>>> thing may have to be homebrewed.  The successes of porting linux with
>>> LXDE
>>> onto the Nokia phones got me thinking about it mildly
>>>
>>> Any way, it's going to be nice to see familiar faces soon...
>>> -Tristan Mendoza
>>> TexasRadiation.org
>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> ALG Mailing List http://austinlug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/alg
>>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> ALG Mailing List http://austinlug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/alg
>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> ALG Mailing List http://austinlug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/alg
>
_______________________________________________
ALG Mailing List http://austinlug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/alg

Patrick Smith | 6 May 20:30 2011
Picon

app question (grid overlay)

Hey!
I'm a budding artist (likely I'll be budding into some form of poisonous weed,  but I'm still budding).
One way I practice is free hand copies of images. It's very helpful have a gird laid over the image.

I know gimp can do this, I figured out how. But I don't use gimp for anything else. I feel bad about installing this massively powerful app just to do a grid. It's like keeping a car in my garage solely so I can listen to the radio.

Is there an alternative?

--
"I finally stopped waiting for some one to save me. I started to save myself, and I found out there was all kinds of help waiting."

Chapak Patrick Smith
_______________________________________________
ALG Mailing List http://austinlug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/alg
Jean-Claude Magras | 6 May 22:50 2011
Picon

Fedora Beta 15 check sums

Greetings,

Could somebody please post like 10 checksums for PARTS of the Fedora 15
Beta DVD iso image?  In spite of having a VPN... I have this persistent pest
that will attack semanage components (I am running SELinux Enforcing) and
"return" the same IP address for every unlikely domain I "dig" up and  will
make openvpn report ....

Fri May  6 14:46:39 2011 us=834143 Authenticate/Decrypt packet error:
packet HMAC authentication failed
Fri May  6 14:46:39 2011 us=904452 Authenticate/Decrypt packet error:
packet HMAC authentication failed
Fri May  6 14:46:39 2011 us=962175 Authenticate/Decrypt packet error:
packet HMAC authentication failed
NOTE: I, at least, think that this chucksum for parts  would decrease bandwidth
usage. Even if not every byte is covered. Putting checksums for a few
parts would
discourage this sort of thing....

Sincerely,

JC Magras
_______________________________________________
ALG Mailing List http://austinlug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/alg


Gmane