nameless | 6 Dec 14:02 2010

acer Aspireone netbook

 Has any one had any experience getting wireless to work on an acer 
 netbook with Debian 5.04?

 This one has an atheos 242x and would not work with the open source 
 madwifi.

 I got it to work by getting a proprietary module "ath_ide" but it is 
 still a pain to use.  I have to start "wpa_supplicant" by script to use 
 encryption.

 "Wifi-radar" will not connect unless "wpa-supplicant" is running.

 Any suggestion about making this one seamless action.

 Denis
_______________________________________________
ALG Mailing List http://austinlug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/alg

George Goodyear | 6 Dec 15:58 2010
Picon
Picon

Re: acer Aspireone netbook

Denis this is something I have been playing with for a while and when I
say playing with. I mean playing with!!!
Thing you will need to know is:
 What version kernel are you working with? Later versions are better!!!
 What type of wireless adapter you are working with and what chipset it
has? This part is a pain. Not all chipsets are supported. :o(
You might have to enable wine install the windblow drivers and use
ndiswrapper. Then hope and pray that if you hold your tongue
correctly...it will work?

Carlos 

On Mon, 2010-12-06 at 07:02 -0600, nameless@... wrote:
> Has any one had any experience getting wireless to work on an acer 
>  netbook with Debian 5.04?
> 
>  This one has an atheos 242x and would not work with the open source 
>  madwifi.
> 
>  I got it to work by getting a proprietary module "ath_ide" but it is 
>  still a pain to use.  I have to start "wpa_supplicant" by script to use 
>  encryption.
> 
>  "Wifi-radar" will not connect unless "wpa-supplicant" is running.
> 
>  Any suggestion about making this one seamless action.
> 
>  Denis
> _______________________________________________
> ALG Mailing List http://austinlug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/alg
(Continue reading)

Paul Elliott | 8 Dec 01:27 2010

Desktop folder thingy


I have just  installed ubuntu 10.10 and in spite of dire predictions of doom, 
defeat, and dispare, it seems to be working ok.

It has new KDE 4.whateveritis . Does any one understand the philosophy
of the new desktop folder plasma thingy? How is that thing supposed
to be used? How is it supposed to interact with dolphin?

Perhaps someone could do a presentation?

--

-- 
Paul Elliott                               1(512)837-1096
pelliott@...               PMB 181, 11900 Metric Blvd Suite J
http://www.free.blackpatchpanel.com/pme/   Austin TX 78758-3117
_______________________________________________
ALG Mailing List http://austinlug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/alg
Paul Elliott | 9 Dec 05:42 2010

KDE 4.5.1


I have installed KDE 10.10 and it works well so far.

LDD Weather Station is not as good as kweather used to be but yaWP is
better than both! Luna is as good as kmoon.

I hope that ubuntu 10.10 will be supported under opensuse build service soon,
because I want to build a version of openastro.

I don't know any astrology but the displays are so attractive and mysterious.

kmail seems OK, (It used to choke on my big mail archive files, but now it 
seems ok with them. I may switch to kmail.

So far predictions of doom, defeat and dispair have not been realized.

--

-- 
Paul Elliott                               1(512)837-1096
pelliott@...               PMB 181, 11900 Metric Blvd Suite J
http://www.free.blackpatchpanel.com/pme/   Austin TX 78758-3117
_______________________________________________
ALG Mailing List http://austinlug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/alg
nameless | 9 Dec 16:27 2010

Re: acer Aspireone netbook

 Carlos,

 I have an atheos 5424 chip that supposedly uses the ath5k module.  
 However, after some research I discovered that module does not work with 
 my chip.

 A lot of folks on line use the ndiswrapper but I chose to download a 
 proprietary native Linux module.  Since I was using debian I had to 
 reload my apt-get repository with [contributions] and [proprietary].  
 then I downloaded a neat tool I had never seen before called 
 "module-tool".  This allowed me to build and install the "ath_pci" 
 module (containing the proprietary code) without having to recompile the 
 whole module set.

 Once I did the "modprobe ath_pci" my interface came right up.

 Of course I could not get it to talk to my "wpa2" router until I used 
 wpa_cupplicant.  wifi_radar is suppose to support wpa but I could not 
 get my to work.

 This works fairly well now if you do not mind writing a little script 
 for every wpa encrypted wifi you talk to.

 One thing I am curious about is that under Linux my wireless picks up 
 some access points that it will not see under windows (obviously I have 
 a duel boot machine).  This should not be the case.  The hardware should 
 work equally as well under each platform.  Does any one have any ideas 
 why this is so?

 Denis
(Continue reading)

nameless | 9 Dec 16:30 2010

Re: Desktop folder thingy

 OK Paul,

 just because I have bad luck with Ubuntu does not mean everybody will.  
 But look out for your first upgrade!

 That is funny, my gnome desktop does not have one of those thingys???   
 :-)

 Denis

 On Tue, 7 Dec 2010 18:27:43 -0600, Paul Elliott 
 <pelliott@...> wrote:
> I have just  installed ubuntu 10.10 and in spite of dire predictions
> of doom,
> defeat, and dispare, it seems to be working ok.
>
> It has new KDE 4.whateveritis . Does any one understand the 
> philosophy
> of the new desktop folder plasma thingy? How is that thing supposed
> to be used? How is it supposed to interact with dolphin?
>
> Perhaps someone could do a presentation?

_______________________________________________
ALG Mailing List http://austinlug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/alg

nameless | 9 Dec 16:51 2010

Re: Not gona make it

 Paul, I will not make it this evening.  You are gona have to survive 
 with out me giving you a hard time.

 do

 On Wed, 8 Dec 2010 22:42:00 -0600, Paul Elliott 
 <pelliott@...> wrote:
> I have installed KDE 10.10 and it works well so far.
>
> LDD Weather Station is not as good as kweather used to be but yaWP is
> better than both! Luna is as good as kmoon.
>
> I hope that ubuntu 10.10 will be supported under opensuse build 
> service soon,
> because I want to build a version of openastro.
>
> I don't know any astrology but the displays are so attractive and 
> mysterious.
>
> kmail seems OK, (It used to choke on my big mail archive files, but 
> now it
> seems ok with them. I may switch to kmail.
>
> So far predictions of doom, defeat and dispair have not been 
> realized.

_______________________________________________
ALG Mailing List http://austinlug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/alg

(Continue reading)

George Goodyear | 9 Dec 17:45 2010
Picon
Picon

Re: acer Aspireone netbook

Could be you are using less resources in Linux than Windows. So this
allows for a better range in your reception of access points. I am just
guessing, but that is what I think is happening. Also, if you have the
time I would try it with ndiswrapper and see how that works. If it works
better then your problem is solved or you really have a work around. The
actually problem really isn't solved. :o)

Carlos

On Thu, 2010-12-09 at 09:27 -0600, nameless@... wrote:
> Carlos,
> 
>  I have an atheos 5424 chip that supposedly uses the ath5k module.  
>  However, after some research I discovered that module does not work with 
>  my chip.
> 
>  A lot of folks on line use the ndiswrapper but I chose to download a 
>  proprietary native Linux module.  Since I was using debian I had to 
>  reload my apt-get repository with [contributions] and [proprietary].  
>  then I downloaded a neat tool I had never seen before called 
>  "module-tool".  This allowed me to build and install the "ath_pci" 
>  module (containing the proprietary code) without having to recompile the 
>  whole module set.
> 
>  Once I did the "modprobe ath_pci" my interface came right up.
> 
>  Of course I could not get it to talk to my "wpa2" router until I used 
>  wpa_cupplicant.  wifi_radar is suppose to support wpa but I could not 
>  get my to work.
> 
(Continue reading)

Eric Ellington | 10 Dec 20:45 2010
Picon

Computer Clocks

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of or used a separate
chronometer in a computer such as a quartz clock? Ideally I am looking
for something such as a quartz clock that can connect to a PCI slot or
some other interface. A program could query this device for the time,
instead of the computer's internal clock.

--

-- 
Eric Ellington
e.ellington@...
_______________________________________________
ALG Mailing List http://austinlug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/alg

Don Crowder | 10 Dec 22:28 2010
Picon

Re: Computer Clocks

Eric Ellington wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of or used a separate
> chronometer in a computer such as a quartz clock? Ideally I am looking
> for something such as a quartz clock that can connect to a PCI slot or
> some other interface. A program could query this device for the time,
> instead of the computer's internal clock.
> 

Given that your Linux system can easily keep itself set to the 
National Bureau of Standards, automatically, I'm wondering why you 
wish to use an external time reference?
_______________________________________________
ALG Mailing List http://austinlug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/alg


Gmane