john_re | 1 Aug 15:25 2008
Picon

Who's in charge of this group? - Inter group meeting BerkeleyTIP-Global August 2 Saturday

Hello from Berkeley, ALGers :)

Please tell me - who is in charge in this group?

I ask because I'm wondering: who are the person(s) who might be the ones
to help arrange & coordinate an inter group meeting?

I wonder that, because I'm putting together a great new event, a global
GNU(Linux)/BSD type software & free culture meeting.

It is a meeting for people interested in learning about, using &
creating GNU & BSD type software & culture.

I call the local Berkeley meeting the BerkeleyTIP - 
  (Talks, Installfest, Potluck & ProgrammingParty)

And I call the global simultaneous set of local meetings the
Berkeley-TIP-Global meeting.

I'm wondering
1) If anyone at your group might be interested in joining together in
this event with others around the world, and if so, then
2) who might be the person(s) to head up handling arrangements, &
coordination, etc, for the joint meeting?

If this sounds to you like it might be interesting, here is some info
for you to read:

=====  CONTENTS:
1) THE BASIC FACTS ABOUT THE MEETING
(Continue reading)

John H. Fusselman | 2 Aug 02:01 2008

web designer SIG?

Is there in Austin a special interest group for web designers?

A man with whom I work is trying to teach himself at home on his own
on a Mac, so he is less interested in GNU/linux than PHP, etc. That
is, he's got a good OS.

I told him of the PERL Mongers group and promised to ask ALG if
there's a similar group for web designers and wannabes.

Any suggestions or referrals are appreciated!

By the way, he mentioned a website he's already discovered that I
understand will test one's website code against "hundreds of operating
system and browser combinations," so he's off to a good start. He just
needs to meet with others who share his interests, no pun intended.
--

-- 
Regards,

John Fusselman
_______________________________________________
ALG Mailing List http://austinlug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/alg

dondavis | 2 Aug 02:30 2008

DSL - PPPOE mysteries

I have a Westell modem with my dsl.  I use OpenWRT and was able to use the
the router's pppoe.  It was just a matter of holding down reset on the dsl
modem, letting it resync and the router took over.

Oddly enough I can only use the router for pppoe now.  If I try to enable
the dsl modem or bridge using another router I always get authentication
failures.

Jan  1 00:18:46 (none) daemon.notice pppd[2098]: Connect: ppp0 <--> eth0.1
Jan  1 00:18:46 (none) daemon.info pppd[2098]: Using interface ppp0
Jan  1 00:18:46 (none) daemon.info pppd[2098]: PPP session is 49354
Jan  1 00:18:16 (none) daemon.warn pppd[2098]: Couldn't increase MTU to 1500
Jan  1 00:18:16 (none) daemon.warn pppd[2098]: Couldn't increase MRU to 1500
Jan  1 00:18:16 (none) daemon.warn pppd[2098]: Couldn't increase MRU to 1500
Jan  1 00:18:16 (none) daemon.notice pppd[2098]: Connection terminated.
Jan  1 00:18:16 (none) daemon.info pppd[2098]: Remote message: Request Denied
Jan  1 00:18:16 (none) daemon.err pppd[2098]: PAP authentication failed

I'm pretty sure of the password; I have a copy of the password in an email
from the ISP.  Could it be some sort of character encoding issue?  What
else could be going on?

_______________________________________________
ALG Mailing List http://austinlug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/alg

Jeffrey Gipson | 2 Aug 02:34 2008

Re: DSL - PPPOE mysteries

See this thread on increasing MTU size.  You'll have to have root ssh  
access to the WRT.

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/linux-networking/67955-how-do-i-change-mtu-help.html

On Aug 1, 2008, at 7:30 PM, dondavis@... wrote:

> I have a Westell modem with my dsl.  I use OpenWRT and was able to  
> use the
> the router's pppoe.  It was just a matter of holding down reset on  
> the dsl
> modem, letting it resync and the router took over.
>
> Oddly enough I can only use the router for pppoe now.  If I try to  
> enable
> the dsl modem or bridge using another router I always get  
> authentication
> failures.
>
> Jan  1 00:18:46 (none) daemon.notice pppd[2098]: Connect: ppp0 <-->  
> eth0.1
> Jan  1 00:18:46 (none) daemon.info pppd[2098]: Using interface ppp0
> Jan  1 00:18:46 (none) daemon.info pppd[2098]: PPP session is 49354
> Jan  1 00:18:16 (none) daemon.warn pppd[2098]: Couldn't increase MTU  
> to 1500
> Jan  1 00:18:16 (none) daemon.warn pppd[2098]: Couldn't increase MRU  
> to 1500
> Jan  1 00:18:16 (none) daemon.warn pppd[2098]: Couldn't increase MRU  
> to 1500
> Jan  1 00:18:16 (none) daemon.notice pppd[2098]: Connection  
(Continue reading)

sistersays | 2 Aug 03:20 2008
Picon

Re: web designer SIG?

My design and coding support group has always been at
http://www.sitepoint.com/ and especially their forums
http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/.  I actually never go to the main
site.

Sister
_______________________________________________
ALG Mailing List http://austinlug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/alg

dondavis | 2 Aug 03:35 2008

Re: DSL - PPPOE mysteries

> See this thread on increasing MTU size.  You'll have to have root ssh
> access to the WRT.
>
> http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/linux-networking/67955-how-do-i-change-mtu-help.html

Thank you.  After trial and error I determined that the password the isp
hadsent me was wrong.  Now, pppoe seems to work fine.  However, something
is amiss.  I can ping google from the router and I can get a dhcp lease
from the router for the computer; however, when I ping from the computer
it resolves google's address but then nothing happens (ssh and http as
well).

What could this be?  an odd firewall problem with udp somewhere?

_______________________________________________
ALG Mailing List http://austinlug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/alg

chupacabra | 2 Aug 09:22 2008

Bobdamn M$

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3762786/Bruce+Perens:+Microsoft+and+Apache+-+Whats+the+Angle?.htm

Me and Bruce are buddies and this sux.

_______________________________________________
ALG Mailing List http://austinlug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/alg

Jeffrey Gipson | 2 Aug 14:24 2008

Re: DSL - PPPOE mysteries

When you say you can Ping from the computer, What address are you  
trying to ping?  Your router, or google?
On Aug 1, 2008, at 8:35 PM, dondavis@... wrote:

>> See this thread on increasing MTU size.  You'll have to have root ssh
>> access to the WRT.
>>
>> http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/linux-networking/67955-how-do-i-change-mtu-help.html
>
> Thank you.  After trial and error I determined that the password the  
> isp
> hadsent me was wrong.  Now, pppoe seems to work fine.  However,  
> something
> is amiss.  I can ping google from the router and I can get a dhcp  
> lease
> from the router for the computer; however, when I ping from the  
> computer
> it resolves google's address but then nothing happens (ssh and http as
> well).
>
> What could this be?  an odd firewall problem with udp somewhere?
>
> _______________________________________________
> ALG Mailing List http://austinlug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/alg

--
Jeff Gipson
Process Networks Plus, Inc.

(Continue reading)

Don Davis | 2 Aug 16:05 2008

Re: DSL - PPPOE mysteries

Jeffrey Gipson wrote:
> When you say you can Ping from the computer, What address are you trying 
> to ping?  Your router, or google?

I can't ping Google from computer but I can ping Google from the router. 
  I guess the router is not natting?  The router gives the computer a 
dhcp lease and I can login to the router via ssh from the computer but 
it looks like no  wan access for the computer.

Computer -----> router
Computer -----X wan
computer <----->router<--------------->wan
The critical router function of bridging LAN and wan isn't happening in 
pppoe mode.
_______________________________________________
ALG Mailing List http://austinlug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/alg

Don Davis | 2 Aug 16:10 2008

Re: Bobdamn M$

chupacabra wrote:
> http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3762786/Bruce+Perens:+Microsoft+and+Apache+-+Whats+the+Angle?.htm
> 
> Me and Bruce are buddies and this sux.
> 
This is bad.  What are the chances of Apache using the GPL now?
What are the chances of Apache going the way of Mosaic?  My first web 
browsing experiences were to CERN sites using Mosaic.  Who remembers 
'Mosaic'?
_______________________________________________
ALG Mailing List http://austinlug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/alg


Gmane