Donn Washburn | 2 Dec 20:53 2006
Picon

perl addon modules

Hey Group;

I am not a programmer so this question may seem a bit ridicules to ask.

However' here it is!

I am trying to get TerraGear (FlightGear) to compile.  It asked for 
"gpc.h" and with a little searching at google.com I came up with a 
cpan.org (perl) file that has it.  It is Math-Geometry-GPC-1.03.tar.gz 
and  Math-Geometry-Planar-GPC-Polygon-0.05.tar.gz  I did down load them 
and  they are perl sources.  The READMEs gives me no clue as to what to 
do with them.

Math-Geometry-GPC-1.03.tar.gz
Changes  GPC.h  GPC.pm  GPC.xs  Makefile.PL  MANIFEST  README  t/

and
Math-Geometry-Planar-GPC-Polygon-0.05.tar.gz
Changes      MANIFEST  Polygon/     README     test.pl/
Makefile.PL  META.yml  Polygon.pm  test_data/

Where should the .pm and .pl files to be moved?  Does any other files 
need to be placed?

The base perl home is /usr/lib/perl5
5.8.8/  perllocal.SuSE  site_perl/  vendor_perl/

Or How do you deal with a perl Makefile.PL

--

-- 
(Continue reading)

Alex Ponebshek | 2 Dec 22:22 2006
Picon

Re: perl addon modules

Try going to that directory in a shell and typing "make".
If that doesn't work, try installing pearl.

If it still doesn't work, try "pearl Makefile.PL"

On 12/3/06, Donn Washburn <n5xwb-xV8QqCHEK+cdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org> wrote:
Hey Group;

I am not a programmer so this question may seem a bit ridicules to ask.

However' here it is!

I am trying to get TerraGear (FlightGear) to compile.  It asked for
"gpc.h" and with a little searching at google.com I came up with a
cpan.org (perl) file that has it.  It is Math-Geometry-GPC-1.03.tar.gz
and  Math-Geometry-Planar-GPC-Polygon-0.05.tar.gz  I did down load them
and  they are perl sources.  The READMEs gives me no clue as to what to
do with them.

Math-Geometry-GPC-1.03.tar.gz
Changes  GPC.h  GPC.pm  GPC.xs  Makefile.PL  MANIFEST  README  t/

and
Math-Geometry-Planar-GPC-Polygon-0.05.tar.gz
Changes      MANIFEST  Polygon/     README     test.pl/
Makefile.PL  META.yml  Polygon.pm  test_data/

Where should the .pm and .pl files to be moved?  Does any other files
need to be placed?

The base perl home is /usr/lib/perl5
5.8.8/  perllocal.SuSE  site_perl/  vendor_perl/

Or How do you deal with a perl Makefile.PL

--
73 de Donn Washburn
307 Savoy Street     Email: " n5xwb-xV8QqCHEK+cdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org "
Sugar Land, TX 77478 LL# 1.281.242.3256
Ham Callsign N5XWB   HAMs : " n5xwb-WYrOkVUspZo@public.gmane.org "
VoIP via Gizmo: bmw_87kbike / via Skype: n5xwbg
BMW MOA #: 4146 - Ambassador
       " http://counter.li.org " #279316
_______________________________________________
ALG-technical mailing list http://austinlug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/alg-technical

<div>
<p>Try going to that directory in a shell and typing "make".<br>If that doesn't work, try installing pearl.<br><br>If it still doesn't work, try "pearl Makefile.PL"<br><br></p>
<div>
<span class="gmail_quote">On 12/3/06, 
Donn Washburn &lt;<a href="mailto:n5xwb@..." target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">n5xwb@...</a>&gt; wrote:
</span><blockquote class="gmail_quote">Hey Group;<br><br>I am not a programmer so this question may seem a bit ridicules to ask.
<br><br>However' here it is!<br><br>I am trying to get TerraGear (FlightGear) to compile.&nbsp;&nbsp;It asked for<br>"gpc.h" and with a little searching at <a href="http://google.com" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">
google.com</a> I came up with a<br><a href="http://cpan.org" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">
cpan.org</a> (perl) file that has it.&nbsp;&nbsp;It is Math-Geometry-GPC-1.03.tar.gz<br>and&nbsp;&nbsp;Math-Geometry-Planar-GPC-Polygon-0.05.tar.gz&nbsp;&nbsp;I did down load them<br>and&nbsp;&nbsp;they are perl sources.&nbsp;&nbsp;The READMEs gives me no clue as to what to
<br>do with them.<br><br>Math-Geometry-GPC-1.03.tar.gz<br>Changes&nbsp;&nbsp;GPC.h&nbsp;&nbsp;GPC.pm&nbsp;&nbsp;GPC.xs&nbsp;&nbsp;Makefile.PL&nbsp;&nbsp;MANIFEST&nbsp;&nbsp;README&nbsp;&nbsp;t/<br><br>and<br>Math-Geometry-Planar-GPC-Polygon-0.05.tar.gz<br>Changes&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;MANIFEST&nbsp;&nbsp;Polygon/&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; README&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 
test.pl/<br>Makefile.PL&nbsp;&nbsp;META.yml&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href="http://Polygon.pm" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">Polygon.pm</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;test_data/<br><br>Where should the .pm and .pl files to be moved?&nbsp;&nbsp;Does any other files
<br>need to be placed?<br><br>The base perl home is /usr/lib/perl5
<br>5.8.8/&nbsp;&nbsp;perllocal.SuSE&nbsp;&nbsp;site_perl/&nbsp;&nbsp;vendor_perl/<br><br>Or How do you deal with a perl Makefile.PL<br><br>--<br>73 de Donn Washburn<br>307 Savoy Street&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Email: " <a href="mailto:n5xwb@..." target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">
n5xwb@...
</a> "<br>Sugar Land, TX 77478 LL# 1.281.242.3256<br>Ham Callsign N5XWB&nbsp;&nbsp; HAMs : " <a href="mailto:n5xwb@..." target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">n5xwb@...</a> "
<br>VoIP via Gizmo: bmw_87kbike / via Skype: n5xwbg<br>BMW MOA #: 4146 - Ambassador
<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; " <a href="http://counter.li.org" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">http://counter.li.org</a> " #279316<br>_______________________________________________<br>ALG-technical mailing list 
<a href="http://austinlug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/alg-technical" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">
http://austinlug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/alg-technical</a><br>
</blockquote>
</div>
<br>
</div>
Donn Washburn | 2 Dec 23:07 2006
Picon

Re: perl addon modules

Alex Ponebshek wrote:
> Try going to that directory in a shell and typing "make".
> If that doesn't work, try installing pearl.
> 
> If it still doesn't work, try "pearl Makefile.PL"
> 
Will do! However, I think make will baulk.  Because Makefile.PL will 
need to be "make -f Makefile.PL".  after trying it "make -f" fails also.
It says "missing separator" which means Makefile.PL is malformed

perl Makefile.PL also failed

--

-- 
73 de Donn Washburn
307 Savoy Street     Email: " n5xwb@... "
Sugar Land, TX 77478 LL# 1.281.242.3256
Ham Callsign N5XWB   HAMs : " n5xwb@... "
VoIP via Gizmo: bmw_87kbike / via Skype: n5xwbg
BMW MOA #: 4146 - Ambassador
       " http://counter.li.org " #279316
Thomas Cameron | 3 Dec 08:02 2006

Re: perl addon modules

Donn Washburn wrote:
> Hey Group;
> 
> I am not a programmer so this question may seem a bit ridicules to ask.
> 
> However' here it is!
> 
> I am trying to get TerraGear (FlightGear) to compile.  It asked for 
> "gpc.h" and with a little searching at google.com I came up with a 
> cpan.org (perl) file that has it.  It is Math-Geometry-GPC-1.03.tar.gz 
> and  Math-Geometry-Planar-GPC-Polygon-0.05.tar.gz  I did down load them 
> and  they are perl sources.  The READMEs gives me no clue as to what to 
> do with them.
> 
> Math-Geometry-GPC-1.03.tar.gz
> Changes  GPC.h  GPC.pm  GPC.xs  Makefile.PL  MANIFEST  README  t/
> 
> and
> Math-Geometry-Planar-GPC-Polygon-0.05.tar.gz
> Changes      MANIFEST  Polygon/     README     test.pl/
> Makefile.PL  META.yml  Polygon.pm  test_data/
> 
> Where should the .pm and .pl files to be moved?  Does any other files 
> need to be placed?
> 
> The base perl home is /usr/lib/perl5
> 5.8.8/  perllocal.SuSE  site_perl/  vendor_perl/
> 
> Or How do you deal with a perl Makefile.PL
> 

I use cpan2rpm.
Justizin | 3 Dec 17:46 2006

Re: perl addon modules

On 12/3/06, Thomas Cameron <thomas.cameron@...> wrote:
> Donn Washburn wrote:
> > Hey Group;
> >
> > I am not a programmer so this question may seem a bit ridicules to ask.
> >
> > However' here it is!
> >
> > I am trying to get TerraGear (FlightGear) to compile.  It asked for
> > "gpc.h" and with a little searching at google.com I came up with a
> > cpan.org (perl) file that has it.  It is Math-Geometry-GPC-1.03.tar.gz
> > and  Math-Geometry-Planar-GPC-Polygon-0.05.tar.gz  I did down load them
> > and  they are perl sources.  The READMEs gives me no clue as to what to
> > do with them.
> >
> > Math-Geometry-GPC-1.03.tar.gz
> > Changes  GPC.h  GPC.pm  GPC.xs  Makefile.PL  MANIFEST  README  t/
> >
> > and
> > Math-Geometry-Planar-GPC-Polygon-0.05.tar.gz
> > Changes      MANIFEST  Polygon/     README     test.pl/
> > Makefile.PL  META.yml  Polygon.pm  test_data/
> >
> > Where should the .pm and .pl files to be moved?  Does any other files
> > need to be placed?
> >
> > The base perl home is /usr/lib/perl5
> > 5.8.8/  perllocal.SuSE  site_perl/  vendor_perl/
> >
> > Or How do you deal with a perl Makefile.PL
> >
>

Okay, if you are trying to compile some C and it requires 'GPC.h', I
really think you've got the wrong GPC.h.  Mostly likely, this is the
underbelly of a perl module which links to a C library.  So, you'll
want to figure out how to get that parent library.

You can link into perl from C, but it's no trivial task, and I would
be willing to wager this perl module is not what you are looking for.

Contact the authors of the software you're trying to build.  If they
aren't reachable and you *really* don't ever want to be anything of a
programmer at alll, you might be SOL.

--

-- 
Justizin, Independent Interactivity Architect
ACM SIGGRAPH SysMgr, Reporter
http://www.siggraph.org/
Donn Washburn | 3 Dec 19:15 2006
Picon

Re: perl addon modules

Justizin wrote:
> On 12/3/06, Thomas Cameron <thomas.cameron@...> wrote:
>> Donn Washburn wrote:
>>> Hey Group;
>>>
>>> I am not a programmer so this question may seem a bit ridicules to ask.
>>>
>>> However' here it is!
>>>
>>> I am trying to get TerraGear (FlightGear) to compile.  It asked for
>>> "gpc.h" and with a little searching at google.com I came up with a
>>> cpan.org (perl) file that has it.  It is Math-Geometry-GPC-1.03.tar.gz
>>> and  Math-Geometry-Planar-GPC-Polygon-0.05.tar.gz  I did down load them
>>> and  they are perl sources.  The READMEs gives me no clue as to what to
>>> do with them.
>>>
>>> Math-Geometry-GPC-1.03.tar.gz
>>> Changes  GPC.h  GPC.pm  GPC.xs  Makefile.PL  MANIFEST  README  t/
>>>
>>> and
>>> Math-Geometry-Planar-GPC-Polygon-0.05.tar.gz
>>> Changes      MANIFEST  Polygon/     README     test.pl/
>>> Makefile.PL  META.yml  Polygon.pm  test_data/
>>>
>>> Where should the .pm and .pl files to be moved?  Does any other files
>>> need to be placed?
>>>
>>> The base perl home is /usr/lib/perl5
>>> 5.8.8/  perllocal.SuSE  site_perl/  vendor_perl/
>>>
>>> Or How do you deal with a perl Makefile.PL
>>>
> 
> Okay, if you are trying to compile some C and it requires 'GPC.h', I
> really think you've got the wrong GPC.h.  Mostly likely, this is the
> underbelly of a perl module which links to a C library.  So, you'll
> want to figure out how to get that parent library.
> 
> You can link into perl from C, but it's no trivial task, and I would
> be willing to wager this perl module is not what you are looking for.
> 
> Contact the authors of the software you're trying to build.  If they
> aren't reachable and you *really* don't ever want to be anything of a
> programmer at alll, you might be SOL.
> 
You could be correct!  However, google.com did a lot of scratching it's 
head to even find the gpc.h/GPC.h in a tar.  I may write the TerraGear 
maintainer about what and where it comes from

--

-- 
73 de Donn Washburn
307 Savoy Street     Email: " n5xwb@... "
Sugar Land, TX 77478 LL# 1.281.242.3256
Ham Callsign N5XWB   HAMs : " n5xwb@... "
VoIP via Gizmo: bmw_87kbike / via Skype: n5xwbg
BMW MOA #: 4146 - Ambassador
       " http://counter.li.org " #279316
Justizin | 4 Dec 14:05 2006

Re: perl addon modules

On 12/3/06, Donn Washburn <n5xwb@...> wrote:

> You could be correct!  However, google.com did a lot of scratching it's
> head to even find the gpc.h/GPC.h in a tar.  I may write the TerraGear
> maintainer about what and where it comes from
>

You certainly should - keep in mind that not all source code lives in
extracted form within reach of Google - if the real GPC.h is available
only within an archive such as a tarball or zip, Google won't pull it
up for you afaik.

--

-- 
Justizin, Independent Interactivity Architect
ACM SIGGRAPH SysMgr, Reporter
http://www.siggraph.org/

Gmane