Kurt Guenther | 1 Sep 18:03 2006

Wireless Lan Bridge


My neighbor and I want to bridge our networks, so we can share ISP
connects when one of ours goes down (ie, bellsouth or comcast).  We're
also about 250 yards from each other, but can see each others roof tops.

Can anybody recommend some hardware, antennas, etc.?

--Kurt
William L. Thomson Jr. | 1 Sep 19:11 2006

Re: Wireless Lan Bridge

On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 12:03 -0400, Kurt Guenther wrote:
> My neighbor and I want to bridge our networks, so we can share ISP
> connects when one of ours goes down (ie, bellsouth or comcast).  We're
> also about 250 yards from each other, but can see each others roof tops.
> 
> Can anybody recommend some hardware, antennas, etc.?

These guys were doing all kinds of stuff along those lines
http://www.bawug.org/

Specifically - Long Range 802.11b Links
http://www.bawug.org/howto/pres/20010503/

There are lots of ways to go about it. I believe there is info on other
ways on that same site. I am still looking into proprietary wireless WAN
device manufacturers, for some of my own needs. If anyone has any
recommendations.

Also depending on how often the links to go, not sure if you want to do
manual re-routing or have that be automated.

Multiple Gateways
http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.rpdb.multiple-links.html

Patches to make things better, including dead gateway detection
http://www.ssi.bg/~ja/#routes

--

-- 
Sincerely,
William L. Thomson Jr.
(Continue reading)

Glen Dosey | 2 Sep 00:30 2006
Picon

Sanitize tcpdump packet capture

Hi everyone,

I'm currently in the position where I need to send a tcpdump packet
capture off to the vendor for support. Before I do that I need to sanitize
the binary capture by changing/removing the IP addresses as well as
hopefully the MAC addresses and packet content. I need to keep track of
the TCP options however. I looked at tcpdpriv and sanitize. The first
doesn't want to compile easily and the second doesn't appear to meet my
requirments. Can anyone point me to a tool that accomplishes what I want ?

Thanks,
Glen

PS:
If you happen to know why SLES 9 seems to ignore the MSS requested by the
client in the initial TCP handshake then that would be helpful as well :)
Kevin Johnson | 2 Sep 00:58 2006
Picon

Re: Sanitize tcpdump packet capture

On Sep 1, 2006, at 6:30 PM, Glen Dosey wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm currently in the position where I need to send a tcpdump packet
> capture off to the vendor for support. Before I do that I need to  
> sanitize
> the binary capture by changing/removing the IP addresses as well as
> hopefully the MAC addresses and packet content. I need to keep  
> track of
> the TCP options however. I looked at tcpdpriv and sanitize. The first
> doesn't want to compile easily and the second doesn't appear to  
> meet my
> requirments. Can anyone point me to a tool that accomplishes what I  
> want ?
>

Netdude can do this.  It is available at http://netdude.sourceforge.net/

Kevin
---------------------
GCIA, GCIH, CEH
BASE Project Lead
http://base.secureideas.net
The next step in IDS analysis!
Johannes B. Ullrich | 2 Sep 02:07 2006

Re: Sanitize tcpdump packet capture


also, look at 'tcprewrite' (comes as part of tcpreplay). It can simply
replace IP addresses in your IP headers. 'netsed' will help you with
content (e.g. domain names in DNS requests).

Don't forget to with the checksums once you are done.

I find that 'netdude' has become very hard to install on modern systems
due to issues with gcc 3 and newer libpcaps :-(. But if you get it
installed, go with it.

Kevin Johnson wrote:
> On Sep 1, 2006, at 6:30 PM, Glen Dosey wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I'm currently in the position where I need to send a tcpdump packet
>> capture off to the vendor for support. Before I do that I need to
>> sanitize
>> the binary capture by changing/removing the IP addresses as well as
>> hopefully the MAC addresses and packet content. I need to keep track of
>> the TCP options however. I looked at tcpdpriv and sanitize. The first
>> doesn't want to compile easily and the second doesn't appear to meet my
>> requirments. Can anyone point me to a tool that accomplishes what I
>> want ?
>>
> 
> Netdude can do this.  It is available at http://netdude.sourceforge.net/
> 
> Kevin
> ---------------------
(Continue reading)

Randal Henne | 2 Sep 14:14 2006
Picon

visiting JAX, where to buy SUSE

Hi,

  Sorry for the broad distribution.  I'm visiting Jacksonville for the
weekend and I'd like to pick-up a copy of the SUSE 10.1 distro.  Being from
out of town, I'm not sure where to buy one in this area.   Any stores you
would recommend?

Thanks,
Randy
William L. Thomson Jr. | 4 Sep 04:35 2006

Re: visiting JAX, where to buy SUSE

On Sat, 2006-09-02 at 08:14 -0400, Randal Henne wrote:
> Hi,
> 
>   Sorry for the broad distribution.  I'm visiting Jacksonville for the
> weekend and I'd like to pick-up a copy of the SUSE 10.1 distro.  Being from
> out of town, I'm not sure where to buy one in this area.   Any stores you
> would recommend?

Seems to be in stock at CompUSA on the southside, I believe on Southside
Blvd. At least according to their website :)

--

-- 
Sincerely,
William L. Thomson Jr.
Obsidian-Studios, Inc.
http://www.obsidian-studios.com
_______________________________________________
Jaxlug-list mailing list
Jaxlug-list@...
http://mailman.jaxlug.org/mailman/listinfo/jaxlug-list
Matt Young | 6 Sep 15:59 2006
Picon

weird mail issue


I had my main mail server memory and I finally recovered this morning.
my problem is that now all of a sudden inbound messages are queueing up
and not actually going anywhere.  I am getting the following in the
mailq output:

50BBB5D8016     2254 Wed Sep  6 09:35:47  solid@...
      (connect to mail.fditech.net[/var/imap/socket/lmtp]: Connection
refused)
                                         otheruser@...
                                         aliasofotheruser@...

Why am I all of a sudden having problems with lmtp?  The documentation
is sparse on this so if anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

--

Cheers,
Matt Young
solid@...
GPG Public Key: http://youngdev.net/?page=gpg
Riskable | 6 Sep 19:00 2006

Re: weird mail issue

On Wednesday 06 September 2006 9:59 am, Matt Young wrote:
> I had my main mail server memory and I finally recovered this morning.
> my problem is that now all of a sudden inbound messages are queueing up
> and not actually going anywhere.  I am getting the following in the
> mailq output:
>
> 50BBB5D8016     2254 Wed Sep  6 09:35:47  solid@...
>       (connect to mail.fditech.net[/var/imap/socket/lmtp]: Connection
> refused)
>                                          otheruser@...
>                                          aliasofotheruser@...
>
> Why am I all of a sudden having problems with lmtp?  The documentation
> is sparse on this so if anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Sounds like cyrus-imapd isn't running.  Did you remember to add it to your 
startup scripts?  If it is running, make sure that it is set to 
utilize /var/imap/socket/lmtp as it's socket location.  /etc/cyrus.conf 
should have a line like so:

lmtpunix      cmd="lmtpd" listen="/var/imap/socket/lmtp" prefork=0

--

-- 
-Riskable
http://www.riskable.com
"I have a license to kill -9"
GPG Key: http://riskable.com/r.asc
_______________________________________________
(Continue reading)

Matt Young | 6 Sep 20:04 2006
Picon

Re: weird mail issue


I verified that the line you mentioned is there.  I have new
information.  Now my mailq command is returning the following:
8DE3B53905F     2235 Wed Sep  6 11:58:47  solid@...
(conversation with mail.fditech.net[/var/imap/socket/lmtp] timed out
while receiving the initial server greeting)
                                         otheruser@...
                                         aliasforotheruser@...

also I cannot login via thunderbird, squirrelmail or 'cyradm -u cyrus
localhost'.  the connections time out.  Still stuck

Cheers,
Matt Young
solid@...
GPG Public Key: http://youngdev.net/?page=gpg

Riskable wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 September 2006 9:59 am, Matt Young wrote:
>> I had my main mail server memory and I finally recovered this morning.
>> my problem is that now all of a sudden inbound messages are queueing up
>> and not actually going anywhere.  I am getting the following in the
>> mailq output:
>>
>> 50BBB5D8016     2254 Wed Sep  6 09:35:47  solid@...
>>       (connect to mail.fditech.net[/var/imap/socket/lmtp]: Connection
>> refused)
>>                                          otheruser@...
>>                                          aliasofotheruser@...
>>
(Continue reading)


Gmane